Start by marking “Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild” as Want to Read:
Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild

Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild

Through the Pacific Northwest forests and along the rugged coastal shores of California, Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild is a memoir of exploration and survival from a stunning new voice.

Dawn Again takes readers along on Doniga’s journey: as a troubled teen attending a wilderness immersion school where wildlife trackers and Indigenous elders were among her tea
Published November 1st 2017 by Propriometrics Press

To ask other readers questions about Dawn Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn Again

Start your review of Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild
William Graney
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was fascinated by the tracking, living in the wild, and agricultural aspects but I started losing interest during the romance/motherhood sections. The book finished strong though and it was very well written. I thought she glossed over the sacred relationship they had with the animals on their ranch and by not acknowledging that those animals have to be killed and butchered, the process was sugar coated. Maybe she didn't want people to feel squeamish but life isn't a fairy tale and if you're p ...more
Melissa
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I learned a lot while reading this book, and while I am grateful for people like her and I do have a bit of envy for her lifestyle, the writing was a little too self-important for me.
Jessie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read our author interview here: https://www.wanderingeducators.com/be...

The most powerful and important book I've read this year? No question. Dawn Again: Tracking the Wisdom of the Wild, by Doniga Markegard, is eloquent, inspiring, and a must-read for any global educator. Markegard's memoir traces her beginnings from wildlife tracking to a more concerted effort of support and practical advice for wilderness education and living wisely on this planet. Through it all, her voice rings clearly for
Sarah Lai stirland
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Immersive and engaging. This is a beautiful memoir about growing up in the Pacific Northwest, alienation from a cookie-cutter kind of public education, and the experience of getting in touch with the environment immediately around oneself ... and the perils of a civilization that is increasingly losing that engagement.

This is also a great cultural document that records an aspect of California that you don’t often hear about.
Christine
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, feminist, nature
Doniga's memoir of her journey from hippie runaway to wildlife tracker to regenerative rancher is full of independence, courage, and wisdom. She has lived fully and intentionally in search of her authentic self, and a deep spiritual exchange with all that connects us with nature. This book left me full of admiration and gratitude for Doniga's truthtelling. It reminds me of Cheryl Strayed's Wild.
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the story and I am a big fan of the author. What an inspiring tale. It’s especially exciting for me to read a common age story about a female, a farmer, and an eco-minded, and all life matters minded person. The reason why is because we are raising two girls and just bought a 10acre Farm. Those are the reasons I’m giving it a 4 star review. The writing in the first half of the book isn’t strong and at times feel like it was hard for her to tell this story. The second half of the book was ...more
Craig Adams
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great memoir that also makes a convincing, heart-felt argument for Holistic Land Management. Doniga details her wildlife tracking experience, the lessons she learned from Native Americans, and her transition to becoming one of the best regenerative ranching families in coastal California.

We need more people like Doniga, and her family, in this world.
Kyle
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the beginning was riveting! I had a hard time putting it down. it was really fun reading about her honey
journey into tracking. it was also very cool to read about how tracking led her into permaculture. I would definitely read it again.. it reminded me to observe nature and pay close attention to the small things.
Hannahpopish
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the journey of Doniga and her knowledge about wildlife. She shares her personal experience with animals and the environment. The text describes the personal relationship people can have with nature, and different ways people can get closer to nature in a respectful manner. One of my favorite parts was the experience Doniga had with Alaska wolfs. She made a close relationship with the wolfs which brought her back to Alaska time and time again. Unfortunately not all of her exper ...more
Katie
This was a really interesting memoir. The author spent time at a wilderness school as a teenager where she learned tracking skills. The book explores her connection to nature and her adventures tracking animals all over the world.
Great book!
k
Tricia
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story that has me longing for a different life. Ugh. Now I'm trying to focus on what I'm grateful for and how I can get more wildness in my life.
Alicia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Seriously. Beginning somewhat overwritten, but the prose smoothes out and couldn't put it down.
Kelly B
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
An enjoyable and challenging memoir of growing up and discovering connection with the land.
Amy
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking for sure.
Alix St Amant
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best that I have read in a while. It’s inspiring, thought provoking, eye opening. Well written and captivating. I will probably read it again.
Beth
Crystal
Feb 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Second Nature: A Gardener's Education
  • The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1)
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Free Outside: A Trek Against Time and Distance
  • The Golden Orchard
  • Themes and Variations
  • Cold Turkey: How to Quit Drinking by Not Drinking
  • A Short Account of the History of Mathematics
  • Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3)
  • Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild
  • Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26)
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Cat's Claw (China Bayles, #20)
  • The House Witch: Your Complete Guide to Creating a Magical Space with Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • The Forest House (Avalon, #2)
  • Go Pro - 7 Steps to Becoming a Network Marketing Professional
  • Bittersweet (China Bayles, #23)
Doniga Markegard, author and regenerative rancher, has a background in nature and permaculture. This has given her a perspective on the real risks that we are facing as a species. In her youth she was mentored by some of the leading wildlife trackers, naturalists and Native spiritual elders. She spent years alone and with a small group of passionate youth in the Western Washington Wilderness learn ...more