Start by marking “Breakthrough” as Want to Read:
Breakthrough

Breakthrough

(Breakthrough #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  22,671 ratings  ·  1,432 reviews
Manche Rätsel sollten besser ungelöst bleiben ...

Im Karibischen Meer muss ein U-Boot von einer Sekunde auf die andere seine Mission abbrechen. Dann verschwindet es spurlos. Die näheren Umstände sind ungeklärt. In seiner Verzweiflung wendet sich Sonderermittler John Clay an die Meeresbiologin Alison Shaw, der das scheinbar Unmögliche gelungen ist: Sie hat einen Weg gefunden
Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 384 pages
Published September 11th 2017 by Wilhelm Heyne Verlag, München (first published March 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Breakthrough, please sign up.
DWH Thanks Patrick - I suppose M. Guerra also thinks that "Our Country" was singe handedly responsible for winning WWII. Why would anyone think that "Our …moreThanks Patrick - I suppose M. Guerra also thinks that "Our Country" was singe handedly responsible for winning WWII. Why would anyone think that "Our Country" must be asked before anyone does anything, even on the other side of the planet. Too much exposure to too many Stallone films, eh(less)

·  22,671 ratings  ·  1,432 reviews

Start your review of Breakthrough
Donna Backshall
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who knows that a good adventure doesn't need constant cursing and gruesome deaths
How am I just now hearing about Michael C. Grumley? This guy writes old school adventure sci-fi like a boss! Reading Breakthrough made me reminiscent for some of my old favorites like The Swarm, Beast, and Jurassic Park.

Does all the science add up? Pish posh, of course not, but who cares? It works. Does it make for a great story, where you cheer on the heroes, cry for the innocents, and hold your breath when something goes boom? Yes, yes, and YES!

On my TBR short list there are a few novels waiti
Jack
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skiffy, thriller
If the year was 1948 and this book was serialized in Astounding, it would be great. It isn't and it wasn't. Mr. Grumley has done a halfhearted job of both research and thinking, and written a badly flawed book. Its one virtue is a decent amount of character development. Not outstanding, but decent, especially by 1948 standards.

Modest spoilers follow:

Firstly, and most damaging to my WSOD, the idea that aliens would be exactly like us due to some kind of mystical properties of carbon is sheer bunk
Montzalee Wittmann
Breakthrough by Michael C. Grumley is a good sci-fi book where you can cheer for the dolphins, talk with the dolphins, meet with aliens, and hate on the corrupt government (esp. the idiot one that kept calling the dolphins fish!). I will certainly follow this series. The book is narrated by Scott Brick and he did a fabulous job! Loved the plot, characters, dolphins, and the aliens!

Caprice Hokstad
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You had me at talking dolphins and submarines. Two of my most favorite things in the world. I probably would have read any dumb story if it just had dolphins, submarines, and a principled Navy officer. But this delivered much more.

The plot is tight. Plausible and intense. The characters are smart and the dialog witty. The pace is great with lots of suspense and action. Also glad Alison and Clay did NOT turn into instant romance.

Minor nitpicks:
I noticed some editing errors: punctuation, spelling,
Michael Slavin
I love sci-fi, but I haven't read it for a long time. I read mostly books in my genre that I write in crime/thrillers. But this book had 8,000 reviews, as you may have guessed I am a sucker for a book with a lot of reviews.

This book is really good.

Yes, there are some aliens, but they don't seem unbelievable. (You'll see.) Yes, the world gets saved. But it is just a solid story with a very unique element.

Imagine we could really talk to Dolphins, carry on deep conversations with them. Not too many
Brenda Buck
Oct 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously one of the worst books I have ever read. I can set aside disbelief as well as anyone, which is what one often has to do especially for science fiction writing, but this was just horrible. The author did absolutely no work at all in getting anything right in nearly all aspects of the story. For example, the bottom of the ocean does not contain "soil", it is "sediment". The head of the USGS will have a PHD, will not be called "Ms." and will not lead an expedition into the field. If you c ...more
Fabi
This is a review of the audible version. The narrator did an excellent job with the pacing and voicing.

There were lots of great parts to this plot. I loved all the action scenes. I enjoyed the discovery scenes with the dolphins and the mystery under the sea. The situation at the Antarctic was mesmerising.

Unfortunately, I can't say I loved all of it. (view spoiler)
Banner
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Very enjoyable reading!

Thought provoking science fiction that explores an amazing breakthrough in cross species communication. It turns out that dolphins have an developed language and culture. It boggles the mind to think how we could actually communicate with language to another specie. I think the story does a great job introducing this concept.

But there is more to this story. Another discover is made that leads to dangerous consequences for the entire planet. I'll not say more, but the plot
Erwan
Apr 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To authors willing to write science fiction: Please, Pretty please, do consult with scientists when building your plots. Leaving out huge logical mistakes will take out all the fun of reading your books.
Example: 2 tsunami waves colliding do not take out each over. Because waves propagate in all directions at the same time. And so does the energy they carry.
Example: can an atomic detonation create a water vacuum enough to move a glacier shelf 6000 km away? no.
Tulay
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.

Global warming has been in the news, in this story too. Michael C. Grumley is very talented writer, but calling Dirk and Sally fish never corrected, they are MAMMALS. Beautiful island Tristan Da Cunha and Buenos Aires destroyed, again Washington twisted the story.
Jim A
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breakthrough is the debut novel from Michael Grumley. I picked it up as one of the freebies from Amazon. I don’t usually read science fiction, but the combination of action thriller and science fiction was totally entertaining.

Although I haven’t read a Clive Cussler novel in quite a few years, this book reminded me of Cussler’s work in so many ways. The protagonist, Clay (Dirk Pitt), his partner Caesare (Al) and Borger (Rudi) are very similar. One of the dolphins is named Dirk, giving me furthe
Sheila
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of figuring out a way to talk with dolphins and then learning from them. Breakthrough is a fast-paced, action-oriented story peppered with interesting science details and fun science fiction.

At first, there are so many characters that it's difficult to keep them straight, but then the story takes over and that doesn’t matter anymore. A few main characters do surface including strong, relatable female researchers who take on challenges while remaining human. The dolphins also bec
Nathanael
Alan Bergfeld
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up at 87%

4.4 out of 5? Really? SPOILERS AHEAD: Admitedly I don't read a lot of sci fi, but there were just too many things that rang so untrue. I was willing to go with being able to communicate with dolphins, but throw in aliens, career naval officers who suddenly decide command is wrong so they all go rogue and top it off with a secretary of defense who uses a nuclear weapon without telling the president (what happened to the president having the nuclear codes?)... well, that was at 87% a
Dianne
What can happen when science, nature, survival and abject terror collide with a taut and high-powered science fiction tale? Will it be the end of the world? Michael C. Grumley’s BREAKTHROUGH combines, fascinating fictional science, an alien visitation, an out-of-control governmental bureaucrat and a seemingly unavoidable end of the world scenario to give us a start to finish science fiction tale that is a mind-boggling and magnetic read for those of us who enjoy the “what-if” scenarios.

One scien
Cathie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes oceanic fantasy sci-fi stories.
This was a great book to finish as my first read of 2019. Was it a deep literary fiction destined to be a classic in years to come; probably not, but I enjoyed it thoroughly and it kept my interest right to the end and I smiled many times and was intrigued at other times, and therefore it gets 5 stars from me.

It reminded me sort of Leviathan, the old 80s (?) movie, and for those that remembered and liked that movie, then I'd strongly recommend this story.

Was all the science and facts true? I do
Katrina
An okay read

This book kind of let me down a little. It started out with a really cool premise. The dolphins and the IMIS system were really neat. I enjoyed that. The characters were okay. Their personalities were a little flat to me, but at least they weren't obnoxious. They were believable even if they were a little cliche. Where I felt let down was the story itself. It wasn't bad, but I always felt like something was missing. I also felt like it was just too neatly wrapped up in the end withou
Abby
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this to my Kindle from the lender's library before a trip, not expecting much. I began reading after a flight delay, and throughout my 19 hours of travel, could barely put this book down.
Grumley explains complex ideas and workings in a way that anyone can understand. The story of the relationships that can develop between humans and other mammals at times brought me to tears. There were unexpected plot twists that kept me intrigued.

I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for an i
Lyvierre
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggled to get halfway through and gave up on it. There's too much going on, talking dolphins that start as the main focus and are gone for the rest of the book. The government turning a blind eue to geophraphical issues, earthquakes, aliens stealing Earths water. Too child fantasy like, I tried to finished dragging it out...but bought something else instead. Don't reccomend.
Dawn
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me a lot of The Swarm. I'm not saying this is derivative, or suggesting plagiarism. I just think if you enjoyed reading one, you'd probably enjoy the other. I did enjoy this book quite a bit, but it left me with a lot of questions. First, the positives. This book grabs you right from the beginning and it is tough to put down. Even though it is sci-fi, none of the explanations that involve math and/or science are too complicated for even a math/science dummy like me to understa ...more
Leslie
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology, mystery, ku
Sometimes you're in the mood for a sci-fi, alien, speculative science, military mash-up. And if you are this is a pretty good read.

We begin in a US submarine that has mysteriously gone massively off course in a matter of seconds, then we meet a group of scientist who are working on building a dolphin language translation software system and we learn that there has been an earthquake on the Ross ice shelf. When two former navy seals use the latest tether-less rover to search for an anomaly on th
Sharon Michael
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of action/adventure since Alistair MacLean and Desmond Bagley, on through Clive Cussler and so on. Judging by this book, Grumley is going to hold his own in the best of company.

Characters were quite well developed, loved the interaction with the dolphins, pacing was good and tension maintained very well.

If you don't get it while it's a free download, buy it! He's on my list for the next book that comes out.
Simon Ferguson
Douche ex machina

In the realm of possibility there's sci-fi, then fantasy and then there's this fever dream. So many unlikely head-spinning coincidences. For instance: How can the massive tsunami (hundreds of feet high!) generated by the collapse of a substantial part of the Antarctic ice shelf be completely quashed by a tactical nuking of a tiny island in the tsunami's path? Unlike reality, I like my fiction to be logically coherent.
Bar Reads
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling, but a very slow burn at first.

I did like it and enjoy it, but will I read the next one in the series? No. I'm glad this is self contained and doesn't leave you at a cliffhanger.
5ngela
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love John Clay and Steve Caesare more than the story itself. Not saying that the story is bad. They remind me of James Rollins Sigma Force characters. Smart, patriot, and tough but not superhuman like some novels.
Jonathan K
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It had been a long time since I'd indulged in the junk food of the reading world. This commercially successful book is poorly constructed and nutritionally deficient in almost every meaningful way. It will be as quickly forgotten as consumed, leaving you to seek out a heartier, more substantive bibliographic experience. I suspected this going in, but like rewarding yourself with a rare Big Mac, you know what you're doing is wrong, you know it's best not to look too closely at what you're holding ...more
O.S. Prime
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up free from the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Given that it has a number of sequels, I thought it might be good. I started to get suspicious that I wasn't going to like this "hard sf" when the Ultra-Low Frequency transmission from the UUV was able to support video. Later we got the "keep enhancing the video" thing seen on every lame detective show, but I stuck with it. After some of the disparate character threads are united, we learn that two individuals held in isolation for thei ...more
Carlos I Badilla
Slow story with terrible science

It is hard to suspend disbelief when the science is so bad. Generally the science fiction writers either research their topics of remain vague enough, but that is not the case here. That spoiled the whole story for me, that was a bit slow to start with. In addition to that the timing of the different story lines did not match. It is not possible that one of the personages would appear a continent away with new drilling equipment and new personnel, installed an enc
Lynne
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A very enjoyable book with plenty of new ideas. I especially loved the interaction between the dolphins and the humans. Perhaps this is something that one day may even be possible. I'm now looking forward to reading the second book in the series.
D.J. Molles
I liked this a lot more for the concept than the execution. While I do consider it something of a fast-paced read, I did find myself skimming a lot of passages because there was just a bunch of stuff happening or being described that I didn't care about. There were some technical details, particularly in the action scenes, that weren't right. But the science seemed well-researched, at least to my layman's eyes.

All in all, it was amusing, but not anything I'd fervently recommend, unless you have
Next Breakthrough book is in progress... 1 1 Mar 13, 2020 05:45PM

• Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • The Atlantis Gene (The Origin Mystery, #1)
  • The Price of Time
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Extinction Code
  • The Atlantis Plague (The Origin Mystery, #2)
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Devoted
  • Pushing Brilliance (Kyle Achilles #1)
  • Extinction Countdown
  • Michael C. Grumley - Reading Order Book - Complete Series Companion Checklist
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Split Second (Split Second, #1)
  • The Enigma Cube
  • The Last Monument
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files, #1)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
Michael C. Grumley is the author of the best-selling BREAKTHROUGH series, with over one million books sold to date.

He lives in Northern California with his two young daughters. He’s an avid reader, runner and most of all father. He dotes on his girls every chance he gets.

He is currently working on the next Breakthrough book.

Breakthrough (5 books)
  • Leap (Breakthrough, #2)
  • Catalyst (Breakthrough, #3)
  • Ripple (Breakthrough, #4)
  • Mosaic (Breakthrough, #5)