Start by marking “The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)

The Privilege of Peace

(Peacekeeper #3)

Former space marine Torin Kerr returns for one final adventure to save the Confederation in the last book in the military science fiction Peacekeeper trilogy.

Warden Torin Kerr has put her past behind her and built a life away from the war and everything that meant. From the good, from the bad. From the heroics, from the betrayal. She's created a place and purpose for other
Published June 19th 2018 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Privilege of Peace, please sign up.
Online Eccentric Librarian By the wording: "Torin's last adventure", then this is the end of the series, which featured two arcs: Gunnery Sargeant and then Peacekeeper. I think …moreBy the wording: "Torin's last adventure", then this is the end of the series, which featured two arcs: Gunnery Sargeant and then Peacekeeper. I think we are all sad to see it end - Huff really hit a wonderful stride with these books and the characters were all wonderful to read.(less)

Start your review of The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)
Dana Stabenow
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

Here endeth Tanya Huff's Torin Kerr series (5 books beginning with Valor's Choice and continuing with her Peacekeeper trilogy, this one are being the last one (if you've read the books you'll see what I did there). I envy you if you haven't yet read them because you're in for a real treat--these books are so smart and so funny, with great characters and seriously good dialogue and fast, excellent plotting, including the over-arching plot so satisfyingly concluded here.

Strongly recommended, if on
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Science Fiction / Space Opera
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

The Privilege of Peace is the third and final installment in both the Peacekeeper series, and the Confederation series. Warden Torin Kerr and her team have come a very long way not only since the beginning of this series, but the end of the Confederation series as well. We are to the point in this world where nobody trusts anyone. Elder Races are ready to lock down the Younger Races who helped them fight a war agains
eyes.2c
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always--Riveting!

Plastic data sheets, rogue Silsviss, the presence of the much disliked and inept commander General Morris, Warden Torin , Craig and the rest of the Strike team have their hands full with new developments that bring up old challenges. Devious plans are being hatched by the Humans First fanatics. The finding of data sheets similar to the plastic from before has everyone including the elder race, the H'san on edge.
After Warden Torin's Strike Team's last mission, where informati
Carolyn F.
First, the cover is misleading - a lot misleading. I kept waiting for this scene to happen in the book which it didn't. I really love this series - lots of action and humor - a great combination. Great book, great series
Barb in Maryland
Great wrap-up to the series. I closed the book with a smile on my face even though I'm sad to say farewell to Torin, Craig and all the gang (especially Presit! I love Presit!!)

This is not really a stand-alone--too many references to events in the first two Peacekeeper books and even further back into the Confederation series.

But if you start at the beginning with 'Valor's Choice' you will have the pleasure of reading a very good 8 book series that will delight any fan of military SF. I've been a
Mike Finn

Tanya Huff says "The Privilege of Peace".will be the last Torin Kerr book,  I've followed Torin Kerr through the five Confederation novels, which I think are some of the best and most innovative military SF novels ever written and then on to the three Peacekeeper novels, which show how Torin, having helped end a galactic war hundreds of years long, handles the peace.

"The Privilege of Peace" was the perfect goodbye to the series. It moved the story arc on, engaging most of my favourite characters

Kathy Davie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-military
Third and last in the Peacekeeper military science fiction series (eighth in the Confederation universe) and revolving around ex-Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr, now Warden, with her Strike Team.

My Take
It's all about the disgust and fears of the Elder Races, as they intend to shut the Younger Races down. It turns out that all that propaganda about the H'san simply confirms what Torin has been declaring all along. Hoo, boy. I sure hope this means that Huff intends on another trilogy, especially after
Brenda Mcallister
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Tanya Huff back in the 1980's and the stories just keep getting better. Great, well rounded characters, a setting you can easily visualize and an adventure you want to follow to the end. Although this was book 3 in the series I was able to follow the action within a couple of chapters without having read the first two. I intend to rectify that situation shortly.
Elder aliens keeping a tight leash on their adopted, aggressive younger worlds after needing them to fight a war and
Laz the Sailor
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
As sometimes happens, the constraints of the final book in a series weigh down the story. I love Torin Kerr, and I've really enjoyed the entire series. This final entry brings together several characters from past stories - including Big Yellow - and works hard to preserve the drama while resolving every open issue presented over the years. There are too many characters and a few too many forced situations. But we do get to learn more about those sexy di'Taykan, and of course, Presit is present. ...more
Sylvia McIvers
Absolutely non-stop action.

Also, not hitting your former superior officer shows character growth, yeah?

Sometimes Torin surprises herself.

I want the next book RIGHT NOW.
Tina
Am I crazy? How come I am one of the only ones on Goodreads not giving this one 5 stars? An I~m only rounding up to 4 because of my love of the series as a whole. It's more of a 3.5.

While I enjoyed it, it’s nowhere near as great as some of the others in the series.

Of course, I was happy to see Torin doing what she does best (kicking ass), but there was no real arc for her or anyone in this novel. Issues from previous novels are resolved, giving it a sense of finality, but I found the first half
Jamie Collins
This is the last Confederation book. I think this is Huff's longest series yet, with 5 books plus 3 more in the Peacekeepers spinoff. She always ends her series long before I'm tired of reading them.

This book is better than the previous one. It has fewer moral lesson and it’s funnier - but then it’s almost too funny. The plot is pure farce, which disappointed me.

This series has always had a lot of humor, but it also takes violence very seriously: the characters mourn their dead and are traumatiz
Glennis
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book pretty much continues right after the previous one so may not be the best place to start. The Peacekeepers at the Dept of Justice seem to be fighting Humans First on all fronts including in their own ranks. The piece of Big Yellow that was found in the previous book is going to be shown publicly before it is locked away. Torin, Craig and Presit are there to touch it to see if they can get a reaction that the scientists couldn’t get. They do get a response by the way of the data sheet s ...more
MAB  LongBeach
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Justice Department's new Strike Teams are very busy combatting piracy and hostage situations. The terrorist group Humans First has turned started hijacking raw materials to build a fleet. Meanwhile, Parliament is considering locking all of the Younger Races planet-side to keep their violent tendencies from upsetting the rest of the Confederation. And ex-Gunnery Sergeant Warden Torin Kerr has become very suspicious of the mysterious H'san, whom everyone else trusts implicitly. When the plasti ...more
Marlene
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

If this is truly the end of ex-Gunnery Sergeant now Warden Torin Kerr’s story, I’m going to be very, very sad to see it end. Torin’s story, from its beginning all the way back in Valor’s Choice (nearly 20 years ago, OMG) has been absolutely marvelous.

I began the Valor/Confederation series and the Vatta’s War series at about the same time, so they are both inextricably linked in my memory. They also both finished at the same time, and then revived at about t
S.J. Higbee
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who have read the previous two books, terms like Big Yellow, the Silsviss and Big Yellow will be happy reminders of a strongly depicted world crammed with memorable characters and a twisting plot. However if you are scratching your head because you haven’t yet had the pleasure of this series, then don’t pick up this one – track down An Ancient Peace instead. There is simply too much going on in the longer story arc you’ll miss if you don’t.

Gunny Torin Kerr isn’t actually a gunny
Caitlin
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Without getting specific, this review will have spoilers for previous books. It's inevitable.

A lot of problems have cropped up in the previous books that hadn't been wrapped up yet. In this, which appears to be the final book, they are. Plastic-like aliens manipulated a war for data. And the fall out is wide spread. Soldiers without purpose, uneasy truce, and the noncombatant Elder Races unsure whether they can trust the species they no longer need to defend them. Fear and mistrust everywhere.

An
Megan
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, scifi, own
(4.5 stars but just because I can't give a full 5 to something so poorly edited - get it together Daw!!)

The last book in this series and I read it TOO DAMN FAST!!! That's what happens when I get sucked in to this world... I just can't stop. This book really should have been at least 5 times longer. Huff does a really great job of wrapping up many of the over-arching storylines throughout this series, but I just want mooooore. The pacing is excellent, the new characters are just as great as the r
Nicole Luiken
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, canadian
A satisfying end to the Peacekeeper trilogy and (I believe) also the end of the Torin Kerr/Confederation books. There were a lot of threads to get wrapped up (Humans First, the plastic aliens, the H'San, the Silsviss) but it all tied together quite well. I really like the camaraderie between coworkers (who are often alien species) in this series. And the action, of course!
Margaret Hanson
I really love Torin. The rest of the cast, also great. This whole trilogy has been an interesting look at what happens with a badass space marine once the war is over and doesn't shy away from that being a complicated question. This last book managed to tie up an impressive number of threads across both arcs.
John
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Another rockemsockem episode in which the two main characters rescue each other and also the Confederation. Plenty of juice in the series, hope the next outing isn’t long in coming. Huff seems to be letting up a little on the sexual banter, which is a good thing.

Choice lines:

The six of them, in pre-Strike Team Alpha days, had taken down an entire pirate fleet. A single ship draining the tanks at a Mictok-run mining station should be a walk in the cake.

“A press conference,” she repeated. It didn’
Meg Watts
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, as usual. These are very smart books, complicated/interesting characters and story lines, and though Torin doesn't kick the same kind of butt as in the earlier books, she seems to be adjusting well to her new "don't kill unless absolutely necessary" paradigm and I think she really appreciates that she has fewer losses, too. Obviously, if you're reading the series or a fan of Tanya Huff, you've gotta read this.

As to the "last one in the series" promise on the Goodreads listing:
1) Gawd,
Terrie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A kick-ass heroine in a truly inclusive world view. Torin Kerr is one of my favourite characters and Tanya Huff one of my favourite feminist authors.
Paraphrodite
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018, favorites
4.5 stars.

Really enjoyed this outing. Big Yellow is back due to the discovery made by the scientists in the previous book.

Again, action galore and with Torin and Ryder being split on separate missions...At least for a while.

There's a resolution of sorts with Humans First that I believe will see further changes to the Confederation. Let's see what the next book will bring.
Thomas
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I've had a soft spot for Torin Kerr and her band of marines since not long after I first signed on with Audible. Hundreds of audiobooks later and I was still getting my occasional fix of ex-Gunnery Sergeant Kerr's latest adventures. Now it appears to be over and I'm conflicted. I've read a number of series that were significantly longer than the eight books that made up this one, but few have made a deeper impression on me than these characters despite my not seeing them as ofte ...more
Cardyn Brooks
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
One word: plastics. (Thanks to the reference to The Graduate in the Mike Nichols episode of the American Masters series on PBS and its weekend marathon.)

After a signature action sequence, The Privilege of Peace resets in pace to a gradual build up to a series of escalating skirmishes to a (somewhat?) conclusive showdown that leads to more questions to answer in the next Peacekeeper entry. Torin and company shine with their usual mix of exceptional warrior's skills, tenacity, loyalty, heart, and
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This series combines two of my favorite kinds of things to read: space opera + bad ass female protagonist. With this book, it feels like this series has jumped the shark. This particular story had too many characters who were insufficiently developed and was just kind of muddled. Too many bad guys (both sentient plastic AND xenophobes trying to make their way in a universe with many, many sentient species?), too much plot (different factions of aforementioned sentient plastic? Weird politics? My ...more
Viridian5
It's always fun to get a new story about this snarky group of characters, but I didn't enjoy myself as much as usual because much of the book seemed episodic and disunited in a way that kept disrupting my ability to really sink into it.

The series is taking another interesting turn and I'll happily pick up the next book when it comes out.
Martha Forward
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This would be a tough read without having read the earlier books in the series. Somehow, this did not make me think as much as some of her others... veteran's rights, power and authority. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as some.
Susan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
So, wtf happened to Kyster?
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: The Privilege of Peace by Tanya Huff - 4 stars 2 13 Aug 26, 2018 03:21PM

• Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Heris Serrano (The Serrano Legacy, #1-3)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • Dominator (Vicky Peterwald, #4)
  • Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Commanding (Kris Longknife, #17)
  • The Emperor's Wolves (Wolves of Elantra #1; Chronicles of Elantra #0.1)
  • Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)
  • Stars Uncharted (Stars Uncharted, #1)
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s

Peacekeeper (3 books)
  • An Ancient Peace (Peacekeeper, #1; Confederation, #6)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)

News & Interviews

“Civilians had a tendency to fetishize military dead without ever considering how and why they died.” 0 likes