Start by marking “Of Doomful Portent: An Advent Calendar of Grotesque Horrors” as Want to Read:
Of Doomful Portent: An Advent Calendar of Grotesque Horrors

Of Doomful Portent: An Advent Calendar of Grotesque Horrors

25 troubling flash fiction stories (Matthew M. Bartlett) and illustrations (Yves Tourigny) presented in an advent calendar format.
Unknown Binding
Published 2017 by Tallhat Press

To ask other readers questions about Of Doomful Portent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Doomful Portent

Start your review of Of Doomful Portent: An Advent Calendar of Grotesque Horrors
Karl
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It states in the first page of the book “Of Doomful Portent” written by Matthew M. Bartlett that this book began life as an ‘Advent Calendar’ with tear-away pages , published by ‘Tallhat Press’. The page continues with quotes and high praise for Mr. Bartlett by the likes of Jon Padgett, Philip Fracassi, Max Booth III, Nathan Ballingrud and Jeffery Thomas. None of their praise is off the mark.

The book is filled by as many illustrations by the talented Yves Tourigny, a Canadian who hails from the
Janie C.
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very creatively designed package of your worst nightmares, courtesy of Mr. White Noise, Tumor Man, The Hog, Pope Sevenius and the unimaginably hideous spirits of Leeds. Matthew Bartlett, master of apocalyptic dread, and the talented artist Yves Tourigny present you with an advent calender to leave you breathless. Happy holidays!
Rodney
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed everything from Matthew Bartlett and this one is no exception. To present these stories in an advent calendar format with the complement of illustrations by Yves Tourigny is a novel idea and the execution is superb. There is some twisted, nasty and disturbing content here that easily added joy to my holiday season. Recommended highly.
Spencer
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bartlett delivers another book of surreal horrors and flash fiction pieces that give us a glimpse into a twisted world of nightmares and degeneracy. I adore the imagery, the prose alighted my imagination and painted my brain with landscapes of terror. I've yet to be even slightly disappointed by Bartlett, the more of his work I read the more I come to appreciate his genius. If you want distinctive and unsettling horror Matthew Bartlett will not let you down.
Philip Fracassi
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Bartlett’s vignettes scream through the static of an old-time radio that’s metastasized to your skull. This labyrinthine stroll through hell barks out demon-trodden fables like a demented candy man selling razorblade-flavored sweets. You’ll grin while they cut you and swallow them whole, such is the dark magic here. Bartlett has the ability to make the darkest horror sing like an angelic choir engulfed in flame, and you’ll like what you hear.
Donald Armfield
These flash fiction pieces whirl up storms of grotesque happenings and tosses blood in different directions. Spreading over a course of landscapes explained by Bartlett’s Doomful Portent.
The advent calendar idea is brilliant and these stories are more than holiday cheer. The weird horrors of nighteyes, the meal at the fern diner, the willing host, the highway procession and out in the storm are just a few of the titles that displays the authors vivid imagery of horrors, that could turn one cold
Frederic
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautifully illustrated collection of nightmares! I really wanted to do the proper advent thing, and read one a day, but I found myself lacking in self control. Matthew Bartlett’s stories are just too damn addictive. I was compelled to blast through this collection in one quick sitting.

Characters like Mr. White Noise, The Tumor Man, and Hurt Me Henry are going to stay with me for a long, long time. And the lingering horror of what’s most likely within that big old box beneath the tree in
Ian Welke
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Bartlett is a master of these short snippet stories, stories which get immediately to the meat of the matter and make an impression without a lot of preambling background. The combination of these stories here is presented as an advent calendar, 25 stories with added excellent illustration. Everything about this book is excellent.
Oftenevil
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matthew M. Bartlett’s collaborative Advent Calendar with the perfectly paired illustrator, Yves Tourigny, for “Of Doomful Portent” further extends Bartlett’s well-earned reputation as a horror author’s horror author. But more on that in a moment. First let’s talk about the illustrations.

It’s impossible to fathom a better artist working today who could have successfully vivified each entry of Bartlett’s calendar of grotesqueries than Tourigny.

With each entry’s associated image, there is a deep
Tim
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Mr. Bartlett's work I was delighted to get my hands on one of these limited edition books. These bite size horror stories were excellent as well as the accompanying illustrations.
I think it is a testament to the author that 2-3 pages of text can feel thoroughly unsettling and stick around in my mind for days.
Ramón
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of vignettes detailing various horrors and grotesque characters happening in and around a town named Leeds. There are glimpses of an overarching narrative, with repeating mentions of characters/entities and motifs (and a couple of the stories getting a “direct sequel” later on) but that is almost an easter egg of sorts. The real meat of the book is how each vignette instills in you a sense of unease, revulsion or shock in their brief span. This is the first time I've read something by M ...more
Brian O'Connell
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, weird, favorites
(Portions of this review originally appeared on my website, the Conqueror Weird.)

The storm of the century. A Satanic church. An ominous winter procession. A parasite and a pope. A pig head and a radio. Faces beneath stomachs and corporate demons and funeral attacks and radios and men in the woods and a hair monster and some very peculiar dolls.

All of these, and more, lurk in the pages of Matthew M. Bartlett’s latest endeavor, a collaboration with incredibly talented digital artist and game desig
James Krstulovich
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
For whatever reason I sat on reading this despite being a devout fan of Mr. Bartlett's, having the original Tallhat Press edition, and getting the paperback for Christmas. I think maybe I wasn't ready to stomach it, and now having devoured it, I find myself feeling uneasy.

Bartlett at once meets and confounds expectations. His style is consummate: expertly evocative, yet disarmingly economical. This is weird and grotesque, and poetic. A work that is a sum of its, at times seemingly disconnected,
Orrin Grey
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know if it's because I read this as an advent calendar, one story a day for the first 25 days of December, as it was intended, or what, but this volume didn't quite cast the same hypnotic spell over me that Matt Bartlett's other stories have done. Which is not to say that Of Doomful Portent isn't still full of the poetic nightmares of the grotesque and banal that we have all come to expect from Bartlett by now, just that they're one notch below the brain-boiling brilliance of works like ...more
Waffles
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Merry Christmas!

This was a terrific way to celebrate the holidays: one ghoulish vignette for the 25 days leading to Christmas. If you are a fan of Matthew Bartlett's work, you will not be disappointed.

Make reading more of him a New Year's resolution that you keep!
Bjorn
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dark, beautiful gem of flash fiction with teeth. I read this as an Advent Calendar, and I loved it.
Russell Smeaton
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick spoiler: there’s no happy ending here!

Disclaimer: I sort of know (through Facebook) Mr. Bartlett and Mr. Tourigny

Having just finished this frightening book, I feel compelled to write a review. In so many ways, this is an amazing book. The words of Bartlett perfectly match the art work of Tourigny. Each of these finely crafted stories is so perfectly written, not a single word is out of place. Grotesque, graphic and very horrific, there’s no compromise given. Unlike other reviewers, I did
Robert

• Cold Storage
  • The Devil All the Time
  • Teatro Grottesco
  • Orford Parish Murder Houses: A Visitor's Guide
Matthew M. Bartlett was born in Hartford, Connecticut in 1970. He writes dark and strange fiction at his home in Western Massachusetts, where he lives with his wife Katie and an unknown number of cats.