Start by marking “Perilous (Hive Mind #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Perilous (Hive Mind #0.5)

Perilous

(Hive Mind 0.5)

Amber is one of over a million seventeen-year-olds in one of the great hive cities of twenty-sixth century Earth. She’s worried that she only has a year left before she enters the Lottery of 2532 to have her abilities assessed. Lottery will decide her hive level, her profession, her whole future life.

Amber fears that her lack of any obvious talent will mean she’s sent dow
Published September 13th 2017 by Wallam-Crane Press

To ask other readers questions about Perilous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perilous

Xander Kennedy
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first Edwards experience not set in the "Portal" future and the verdict is still out. I have absolutely consumed that initial series of stories from her and love Jarra, Blaze, and all the heroes from those tales. Because of my fandom, I decided to give her Hive Mind a try and to begin with the prequel book. I still certainly appreciate the heroine but I'm not immediately enthralled by the setting and plot. Also, my biggest complaint would be with the dialog. It feels so scripted...no ...more
Karin
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a prequel to the Hive Mind series, and while it does help understand some of the background, I didn't like it as much as the books in the actual series. I suggest reading it in between Hive Mind 1 & 2, although you don't have to and can certainly read it first as there are no spoilers to book 1 in the series.

This is set about a year before book 1 when Amber is worried she won't do well the following year because she has an obvious lack of talent in any of the teen activities. She is
Jan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's something about Janet Edwards' writing that I find very addictive! This was no exception. I've already read book one in the series, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this prequel a lot. I read far too late into the night, but wanted to know what happened next so I kept reading. I like Amber a lot and enjoyed this look into her life before she went into the Lottery. Lots of action and a good story. Plus there are hints about the future for Amber. I'm enjoying this series and ready to ...more
Mary B. Grove
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a good setup for hive mind telepath

or, if you've already read Telepath, it gives more information on Amber and her relationships with others in her age and corridor group.
Kaylene
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this prequel, of course I then had to go back and re-read the first book. I love the strong female characters in both the Hive and Portal series. Can’t wait for more.
Stacey
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A prequel where Amber and Forge have adventures on Teen Level. Gives you a lot better insight into how normal people live in the Hive than the first book did. Fun! I found Atticus to be one of the most interesting characters in this book. So much so that I looked him up in Telepath to see what became of him.
Brittney Bower
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hope the later books have more of Casper as well as our main character Amber.
William
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If you are looking for an SF story that you can sink into like the warm embrace of a welcoming comfy chair, look no further.

There are seriously tense moments. There are disturbing questions about society and identity that got right under my skin and creeped me out.

Yet this is told in a warm, friendly and innocent manner that just sucks you right into the world, I feel like I know these people and I really can't wait to meet up with them again in the next book.

I guess Ms Edwards is just an excell
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it a LOT!
As always in Janet Edwards novellas, she mixes tiny bits of information in a big chunk of information. I'm so excited to find out which bits and peaces are important for for Hive Mind 2. I mean, you learned a lot about Amber and Forge (aka people you already know) - it was interesting seeing them ineract and her reactions to him... it was quite entertaining (and frustrating^^).
But what was more exciting, seeing those characters that were just briefly mentioned in Telepath. Howev
Asmodel
Juliet
Dec 19, 2018
Jim
Dec 06, 2018 added it
WOW! This book lays the foundation for the rest of the series and does a great job of introducing the world and some of the characters and how they first interacted. Very well worth buying and reading but you may as well get the rest of the series when you do to save time...you will want more.
Sytc
Sep 19, 2017
Glory
Jul 30, 2017
Amanda
Sep 26, 2017 added it
Structural editing so no rating.
Books In Brogan
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Telepath don't miss this one it give some great back story to Amber's history.This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Ghostwatcher11
Branwen
Oct 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Play Book Tag: Perilous by Janet Edwards 3 stars 1 7 Jun 09, 2018 01:16PM
Janet is the author of the EARTH GIRL trilogy set in the Portal Future - EARTH GIRL, EARTH STAR, EARTH FLIGHT - and the extra shorter stories in the series - FRONTIER, EARTH AND FIRE, EARTH AND AIR, EARTH 2788, and HERA 2781. Her newest books are SCAVENGER ALLIANCE set in an earlier period of the Portal Future, TELEPATH, DEFENDER, and HURRICANE set in the Hive Future, and REAPER set in the Game Fu ...more

Hive Mind (3 books)
  • Telepath (Hive Mind, #1)
  • Defender (Hive Mind #2)
  • Hurricane (Hive Mind, #3)