Start by marking “A Slice of Magic” as Want to Read:
A Slice of Magic

A Slice of Magic

Susanna Daniels has spent over twenty years wondering why her beloved Aunt Erma disappeared from her life. When Aunt Erma leaves a voicemail asking for help at her pie shop, Susanna thinks she’s finally going to get the answers she’s been waiting for.

But when Susanna arrives in the small town of Hocus Hills, Aunt Erma is gone, leaving only a short note and her mischievous
Published September 4th 2017

peachygirl
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
First of all, I'd like to thank Netgalley and A.G.Mayes for giving me a free copy of this awesome book. I didn't have many expectations when I started this one, since my history with ARCs hasn't really been fun. But I ended up loving this book.
There's an adorably naive handywoman turned pie-baker heroine, Mr.Goody-two-shoes hero an
Mackey
A Slice of a Magic is, yes, a magical, sweet story that will leave you hungry for more….

Susanna hasn’t heard from her favorite aunt, Erma, in twenty years – not since her aunt suddenly disappeared from her life – but now she has received an urgent message begging Susanna to come and help Erma at her pie shop. Taking a leave from her job, out of curiosity about her aunt’s past as well as her current situation, Susanna heads out to the town of Hocus Hills only to discover that her aunt is no where
Jeanne Adamek
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After finishing a very good, but extremely intense novel, I knew that I needed to chose a very different book to read next--so I chose this one. And I am really glad that I did! Ridiculous and filled with absurbity the story in this novel took off right away. I adored the small very unusual town the story took place in and the characters that lived there. I really enjoyed Susanna, the main character, she was a fresh voice and FUN!

After finishing the story I was reminded of the feeling I get afte
Obsidian
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this ARC from NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Well I was up for some magical realism because I definitely needed the distraction. Too bad that the story itself was pretty lackluster. You can't promise me a magical pie shop and then not really show anything that magical. This book also seems to be trying for a cozy mystery theme which didn't work at all. The characters in this one were not very developed either. Also some of the reactions that the ma
✩ Ashley ✩
Jan 05, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
DNF @ 10% - Jan 2019
Trisha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute little story. Set in a small town, a young woman travels to help her aunt out - but when she arrives, her aunt isn't there and she's left to run the small pie shop.

I couldn't even imagine being roped in to baking pies. Add to that all her missteps (she really didn't know what evaporated milk was?) and the small town gossip and you've got a recipe for disaster. She was lucky the morning pie crew were willing to roll with her every morning.

I was glad that not only did we find
Jeanette
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A Slice of Magic' made a welcome change from the usual genres that i prefer to read. An easy going book and one that was rather enjoyable. Ideal for those who enjoy a lighthearted cosy mystery.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Tara
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute fun read, was lovely and light and great to just pick up to make yourself feel better. A happy tale filled with cake, fun, friendship, family and romance.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Jessica
Sometimes it's nice to take time away from all the heavy stuff, and just read something nice and light. I like to call it "brain candy", because it gives my mind a little treat to devour while I wind down from dealing with serious book emotions. That's how I stumbled upon A Slice Of Magic! I wanted to get lost in something sweet (no pun intended) and fun. The prospect of a magical pie shop sounded like just what I needed, and I was right.

Now, this isn't the most complex plot I've ever read, true
Bridget
What a lovely and enjoyable story! With such an attractive cover design who would not want to pick up this delightful little tale?

A SLICE OF MAGIC by AG Mayes made perfect reading for me between other more intense, lengthier novels. It was funny and quirky with a cute and cosy feel.

This book was a great package of fun, joy and magic and it was a perfect book to enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate and a large cupcake.

With its great story and wonderful characters, I would recommend A SLICE OF MAG
Jayasree B
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This one is light-hearted mystery. At times I was glad about the way this book was not serious. But, there were times when that works against this book.
It was good for a while, but since I found quite a bit of text monotonous and repetitive in concept, I skipped a lot. The characters could have had some depth as well.
A good light read nonetheless.

For more book reviews, visit Frost At Midnite.
Suzanne Waters
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes there are books that’s just make you smile and this was one of them. Such a good story and deliciously written.
Claire Scott
Oh how I wanted to like this book but I just found it lacking in story, character development and it didn’t really hold my attention. I found myself skimming over the pages, and glad when it was finished. Sorry
Silke
Sabrina the teenage witch meets Gilmore Girls is what sums up this book quite accurately. It has that little hint of magic in everyday life that you might recognize from Sabrina. (The sweet version of Sabrina, not the Kick Ass version now on Netflix.) And the small town feeling and its quirky residents from Stars Hollow is certainly there.
Saying that you might suspect that I absolutely loved this book, but sadly I didn’t. It’s a nice, little in between book, but it’s not a feel good book that I
Savannah's Book List
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Susanna Daniels receives an urgent request from her estranged Aunt Erma, she has no choice but to comply. Dropping everything in her comfortable, established life, Susanna follows her aunt’s instructions and finds herself in Hocus Hills running her aunt’s pie shop while she is away. Susanna knows nothing about baking, small towns, or even her aunt’s life since they’ve been unacquainted for the past 20 years. Suddenly, Susanna is wrapped up in learning how to run a successful pie shop and na ...more
Becca
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I received a complimentary ARC of this book from Harper Impulse through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

What a thoroughly enjoyable little story! It wasn’t quite contemporary and it wasn’t quite fantasy, in fact I’m not sure what category I’d put it in, but either way it was the perfect thing to read between other very long, intense (and sometimes not as enjoyable) novels. It was funny, quirky, and somehow weirdly cosy. It kind of reminded me of a fluffie
Anjana
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book ages ago, but it did not hook me in at the time. I felt the beginning choppy and found it hard to enjoy the quirkiness of all the characters in the book. This is not my tale of woe, if you read on ahead, things will get clearer. I gave it another successful shot yesterday.

This story begins with a cryptic call for help from Susanna Daniels' aunt. Once she gets to the town her estranged aunt lives in, things get stranger. She is to run a whole pie shop with no prior knowledge a
Michelle
Susanna hasn’t seen her aunt Erma in over twenty years. She still doesn’t know why her aunt cut contact. Now Susanna receives an urgent request from her aunt, she needs Susanna to come visit her.

When Susanna arrives, her aunt is nowhere to be seen. No one knows when she’ll be back. Susanna needs to bake pies at her aunt’s bakery and watch her dog while she’s away.

But Susanna can’t bake and has never had a dog before. So things would be rough to begin with. But to make matters worse, the people i
Kathleen Gray
Would you drop everything and go to a small town after a voice mail message from an aunt you haven't seen in 20 years? Would you stay and try to run her pie shop based on a note she's left you? Would you call the police to file a missing persons report? That last is the one thing I would do but Susanna did the first two and not the second. Sure the small town of Hocus Hills is filled with quirky characters and this is a chance for Susanna to try something different but.....This is a light read a ...more
Rachel McMillan
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the tradition of Sarah Addison Allen, Aimee Bender and Amy E. Reichert, A Slice of Magic is a lushly delectable treatise on the many forms of love.

Mayes' unique style will appeal to readers who want to sink their teeth into a softly delicious portrait of small town magic. A lovely sense of community, a relatable heroine and the pursuit of family secrets are at the heart of a book that is lovingly told.

For the romantic reader ( like myself), the soft taste of love is welcome indeed; but neve
Kathy Sandlin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This book was a lot of fun to read. You can’t help but fall in love with all of the quirky characters and you find yourself pulling for Susanna to make a great pie. Speaking of pies, you will be craving them throughout the whole story. I also enjoyed the feeling of something just isn’t right with everyone in town and reading as the story unfolds for Susanna. There was a good ending but it also left plenty of doors open for the next book. Thank you NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange fo ...more
Sally Coles
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susanna has not seen her Aunt Erma for years and when she gets a phone message asking for her help she heads off to Hocus Hills looking forward to seeing her and finding out why she has been gone all these years. When she arrives though there is no sign of Erma just a note asking her to look after the Pie Shop and the dog Mitzy....... what is going on...... and Susanna is certainly no baker!

A lovely whimsical book with some great characters and am looking forward to the next one in the series

Karen
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've got such mixed feelings about this. It was a fast read because I couldn't seem to put it down for long ... but that was more because I kept waiting for something to happen that would really grab me and I kept thinking that I was almost there. Sadly, even at the end of the book I was still waiting to be grabbed. It wasn't a bad read by any means, it just didn't have the spark I was hoping for.
Karen
BonLivre
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. This was certainly a scrumptious novel and was a wonderful recipe of cozy romance and mysterious adventure. The entire text was playful, and I found myself with a smile on my face as I turned page after page, relishing in the fun and colorful world that was being served. Now, if only I had a slice of pie!
TracieB♠️
Well i quite enjoyed this, still cannot decide quite what category i would put it in but it was a sweet read- a bit of magical, lots of tasty pies that made me want to go and bake ( IF I COULD) haha - touch of romance to boot- On the whole a lovely cosy enjoyable read.
Jypsy
Sort of a practical magic with cake premise. It's a typical cozy mystery. Fans of the genre will enjoy this one. It's a fast cute read.
Taryn
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I was fortunate enough to win this here on Goodreads. LOVED this story. Characters are wonderful and the story is whimsical. I will definitely buy the second slice. 😀
Amina Ibrahim
“A slice of magic” by A. G Mayes is a mysterious magical fiction with a dash of romance in it. Susanna receives a voice mail from her Aunt Erma who had disappeared from her life 20 years ago. She was requesting her to help her at her pie shop for a while. Susanna always thought why aunt Erma had left and this was a perfect opportunity to ask her some questions. The next day, she packs her bag and drives to the town of Hocus Hills where Erma lived. When she gets there, she finds out that Aunt Erm ...more
Lauren loves llamas
I have a thing for magic baking books, so I really wanted to like this book. I think it was going for some sort of cozy mystery with a dash of magical realism, but it never quite hit the mark.

It’s told from the first-person POV of Susanna, handyman. She has fond memories of baking with her Aunt Erma as a child before something happened between her mom and aunt, and her aunt cut contact with the family. Years later, she receives a phone call out of the blue from the aunt, asking her to come watch
« previous 1 3 next »

• Impact (The Dean Curse Chronicles, #3)
  • Jasmine and Maddie
  • John Dreamer (John Dreamer #1)
  • Secret Lies
  • Dead of Night (Aftershock, #1)
  • Paradigm
  • The Only Truth That Sticks
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): The Omnibus Edition (Dark Child, #1)
  • Cutter Boy
  • Ghostboy, Chameleon & the Duke of Graffiti
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • I Know You
  • Crystallum (The Primordial Principles #1)
  • Crazy For Alice
  • Placid Girl
  • The Curse of the Bruel Coven
  • Noir (The Illumination Paradox, #2)
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
A.G. Mayes lives in Minnesota with her husband and two dogs. When she’s not painting lines in parking lots, she’s making up stories or obsessing over which pie flavor is the best (blueberry with crumble topping is currently the winner). Her first book, A Slice of Magic, is a lighthearted, magical romance published by HarperImpulse.