Start by marking “Stories I Can’t Show My Mother” as Want to Read:
Stories I Can’t Show My Mother

Stories I Can’t Show My Mother

In Stories I Can't Show My Mother, bat girl receives love voodoo from Needle Man, a woman finagles a direct deposit at a sperm bank, a modern-day Lady Godiva triggers a hot police investigation into a cold case, an astronaut plots to kidnap her former lover's girlfriend, an escort's famous client falls for her, and a woman recovering from a breakup has a mile-high quickie ...more
Published March 9th 2019 by Napili Press

To ask other readers questions about Stories I Can’t Show My Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories I Can’t Show My Mother

Start your review of Stories I Can’t Show My Mother
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
The entirety of my author career summed up in a single sentence.

"NENIAAA CAN I READ ONE OF YOUR BOOKS?"

Me, horrified: "OH MY GOD NO MOM GET OUT OF MY ROOM. I MEAN... BOOK."
Mel (Epic Reading)
A few gems, a dud, and some typical anthology stories. Here’s my thoughts on each of them:

Story #1 - Direct Deposit
The end of this story is highly unlikely; but it’s kind of cute that our MC is so uncomfortable with the idea of a sperm donor.
"She was someone who wasn’t afraid to use words such as “masturbation,”“ejaculation,” and "sperm count." The words sounded a little less obscene when said with a British accent."

Story # 2 - Needle Man Sticks Bat Girl
"But it was hard to find bat cave jobs, un
Karen Albright
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Recently I’ve read several collections of short stories. Ann Tinkham’s Stories I Can’t Show My Mother did the best job of reeling me in and keeping me engaged. She has an easy voice which makes it a perfect beach or sit-by-the-fireplace read. She explores a wide variety of topics. Most involve sex and relationships—thus the title of the book. Her stories are told almost entirely in the point of view of women.
These women (who we love or love to hate) encounter quirky men like one who uses his sp
Lili Francklyn
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Tinkham brings a wicked sense of humor and a shrewd knowledge of psychology to her new collection “Stories I Can’t Show My Mother.” Ranging across the battlefield of the sexes, her sassy stories are anchored to a firm belief in the power and intuition of strong women, or struggling women who turn to the solace of sex and seduction but then discover their true strength elsewhere.

Whether we find ourselves on familiar ground or not as we ride through tales of impulsive sex on airplanes, in off
Wendyclough
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the heroines in this entertaining and surprisingly truthful collection of stories- they’re so real- tough, funny and often wounded. These women are determined to find out what lies behind our culture’s coded secrets, and they enjoy seducing as well as being seduced. These emotionally accurate stories give us women who are both afraid and fearless at the same time, bravely vulnerable as they insist upon being seen. Hilariously and openly, they define their own self worth as they accept ev ...more
Mike McNally
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This imaginative story collection is playful and laugh out loud funny with dialogue that pops. These stories feature a magician, an astronaut, an escort, an erotica writer, and a love voodoo doc. Even if you’ve never known people like these characters, you want to know them. Tinkham drops you into their intimate worlds, and as a voyeur you’re tempted by their unconventional worldviews and irreverent behavior to engage in a way that rouses you. You’ll laugh, shiver, cringe, and blush your way thr ...more
Tamara Palmer
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann Tinkham's collection of provocative, quirky, stories of love and sex are just what the doctor ordered for some thought provoking reading. I don't know what I like more, her unique use of language or her inventive characters and story lines. Anything that tackles the psychology of love and sex is wonderful and Stories I Can't Show My Mother offers it in spades. Great collection of stories that I'll be sure to recommend to others.
Laura K.
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, sexy, utterly engaging read! The plots were unique and intriguing, the sexual tension strong, and the laughs refreshing and frequent. Ann has a quirky, spot on way with words that brings these stories to life. She blends humor with sensuality perfectly and got me invested in the characters in just a few words - no easy feat! I promise you'll be charmed by the time you're finished reading.
Monica Emerich
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Tinkham's insights into the heart and mind. She often employs characters on the periphery of society, and I've learned from every one of them. How often do we think of a "normal" when it comes to individuals? Tinkham throws a curveball at that thinking, and I love it.
Brave
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
Okay, hear me out: I liked almost all of these stories, and loved several. 4.5 stars, probably.
Laurel Kallenbach
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tinkham's book has stories for everyone...well, except moms, I suppose--but there are surely some hip mamas out there who will also get a kick out of this book.
Quirky, sexy, offbeat, and magical, these are stories that really hit me. My fave was "He Brings Me Flowers," a complex story about a man who can't grow up, and the women he loves: his wife, his girlfriend, and his daughter. The women take center stage, of course, as they do in all the stories, and they all have bullshit meters.
Tinkham
Gye
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
“What would my own Mum think of these stories?” I asked myself as I read them. She’d probably agree that they are deeply thought-provoking, and that some are sensual, some are mystical, some are primal, evoking a more visceral reaction, some are slightly weird and all are utterly fascinating!
Ms. Tinkham’s witty creativity sets her characters on grand adventures, where they often face extreme consequences, leading us all to discoveries of some profound truths of the human condition, especially as
Lolly K Dandeneau
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'Beau kissed like a pro from what I could tell- the feeling of Goldilocks sinking into just the right bed.'

The stories in this collection sway between erotic encounters and disasters. When Mr Right never quite arrives, and Lilly hungers for her own child she figures out a better way to get a Direct Deposit. Needles as a form of spiritual release in Needle Man Sticks Bat Girl, a love desirous of punctures. This feels more like voodoo, who knew it
Lee
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun group of stories to read! Some were shocking, some imaginative, some were naughty, and most were thought-provoking, even. It made for a compelling experience, reading that I couldn't stop. When I read the first story and realized that it ended, I was disappointed...I really wanted to know what happened, how the story played out. It was an intriguing plot with the woman seeking a donor for her future child. That first story had to be my favorite out of the stories in the book. I ke ...more
Gea Franklin
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this creative, interesting & entertaining book! I am not a short story reader, or wasn't, before I embarked on this journey with "Stories i can't Show my Mother". Every story is creative, funny, and interesting, with compelling characters and unique situations. I could barely wait to read each sentence, and the next story! Fully relevant for 21st century life. Hip, modern, and wry with excellent insights and memorable tales. Each story dove into sensual territory without bei ...more
Jason Muckley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Stories I Can't Show My Mother" by Ann Tinkham from Boulder, CO is a collection of short stories that are provocative, unconventional, sensual and seductive. The stories are offbeat and draw you in. The characters are intriguing and have depth. These stories offer new insights into relationships new and old and take the reader on an adventure to some of the most unlikely places.

I received this as an eBook from Napili Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of the title
Raya Whitehouse
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely adult type stories. Good quick tales that will leave you laughing at some of the things written. It's a great read for all women, things that you don't normally talk about on a day to day basis. I loved this book of short stories, it had so many quirks in each story, twists that you don't really see coming, some you guess at come but not always in the way that you think that they will.

These stories are not overly wordy, they do not overly describe things. They give you enough that you
E
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories I Can't Show My Mother is a wonderfully readable collection of short stories about an intriguing group of women who are dealing with a variety of issues. Even though the stories are short, readers get to know the interesting characters quite well. Often witty, sometimes raw and emotion packed, the stories are sensuous and thought provoking. Masterfully crafted, this book is well worth reading. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. The opinions expressed in this
Mary Casey
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Ann Tinkham has “knocked the ball out of the park” once again, and this time with her whimsical and imaginative short stories! Never would I think of juxtaposing subjects and ideas that Ann so artfully creates. I was hooked from the first story and was curious as to how all the others would unfold. Indulging in these adventures Ann leads you on with her storytelling is truly a treat and a great escape from reality. Way to go, Ann...I always look forward to reading the next piece you publi ...more
Riley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a an entertaining and eclectic collection of stories. My favorite was The Reluctant Horse Whisperer because it made me laugh out loud several times, but most of the stories had amusing moments as well. Obviously everyone will have their own favorites, and aside from Static Breakdown, I can highly recommend each of them in this steamy book.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
Kendra
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection is posited as erotic short stories, but the stories are more about abuses of hierarchy, power, and consent. They aren't stories I couldn't show my mother--they're perfect as examples for case studies for gender studies classes, discussing power in relationships, #metoo, and other important issues.
Trisa Hugo
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ann Tinkham’s Stories I Can’t Show My Mother was nice, easy reading, often with a twist at the end.
She understands sexuality, she understands life. Some are sensual, some are more mystical, some are slightly weird but all in all a fascinating read!

The writing is flayful and fun, without being funny.
Rebecca
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very eclectic bit of stories. If you are after love or romance stories, you're in the wrong place. They are all about women's sexuality or brief little episodes in a woman's life. They were really well written. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book in exchange for a free copy.
Jennifer K
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed some of these stories and the author's voice and didn't love some of the stories. The last one about "lady godiva" and her horse was just strange and I didn't get it at all. Overall, I'm happy I read this book as the author has a fresh and unique voice. Just not my favorite.
Cindy
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not impressed. Short stories that are odd . Sexual, yes. Did not particularly enjoy. Just seems like stories are kind of weird
Mary
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Too sexy for me
R. Parr
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
With clever wordsmithing and sharp observations on modern life, this book was a lot of fun! Well done.

Deborah
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Don't think the stories in the book are in any way as scandalous as the title suggests. I wouldn't be at all concerned if my mother was reading this. I feel the only thing exciting about the book is the title.
Very disappointed as I feel the book doesn’t live up to it's title. Thus I am not sure which group would enjoy it.
I was given this book by Netgalley and the publisher. This is my voluntary and impartial review.
Destiny Brown
Jul 09, 2019
Rona Cantor
Apr 29, 2019

• Lady Clementine
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • The New Husband
  • Little Secrets
  • The Better Liar
  • The Unexpected Spy: From the CIA to the FBI, My Secret Life Taking Down Some of the World's Most Notorious Terrorists
  • Beyond the Moon
  • Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers: Things to Remember Along the Way
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • Scott Free
  • Assertion Trials
  • Sewing 101: Master Basic Skills and Techniques Easily Through Step-by-Step Instruction
  • Oona Out of Order
  • The Chocolate shop
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Canning Essentials: Jam-Packed with Essential Tools, Techniques, and Recipes for Fruits, Veggies, Jams, Pickles, Salsa, and More
  • The New Homemade Kitchen: 250 Recipes and Ideas for Reinventing the Art of Preserving, Canning, Fermenting, Dehydrating, and More (Recipes for Homemade Kitchen Pantry Staples, Gift for Home Cooks and Chefs)
Ann Tinkham is a writer based in Boulder, Colorado. She is an anti-social butterfly, pop-culturalist, virtual philosopher, ecstatic dancer, political and java junkie. When she’s not tinkering with words, she’s seeking adventures. Ann has talked her way out of an abduction and talked her way into the halls of the United Nations. She hitchhiked up a mountain in Switzerland and worked her way down th ...more

News & Interviews