Start by marking “Promise Me” as Want to Read:
Promise Me

Promise Me

After Marine hacker Ian Maclean is mistakenly de
Published January 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Promise Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise Me

Start your review of Promise Me
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
 photo download_zpsayriidfa.jpg
 photo download 1_zpsgradu98n.jpg
🌟🌟🌟🌟STARS.
So I didn't realise "Promise Me" by Kelly Walker was from an ongoing series and I think if I had read the others in this series then I would have liked this a lot more.
Saying that in my opinion this can be read as a stand-alone, I just think overall you would be more invested if you had some insight into the world this is actually set in.
For me, I struggled with the first 4o% of this, which I found extremely slow after this mark things did pick up and I raced through the rest.
I
Annika
description

I can totally see how much heart, sweat, tears and effort the author put into writing this book. Which is why I feel so bad for not giving a higher rating.
But there were just too many things that bugged me.

Take the female lead, for example. I'm aware that River was grieving. She was depressed, struggling with anxiety, loneliness and immense sorrow. Of course she's overly emotional, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that she would lose her shit every once in a while. Except that "every once in a
Dee/ bookworm
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
#PromiseMe #NetGalley

publisher synopsis: Self-professed Harry Potter addict and math genius River Jacobsen can count on one hand the people who matter in her life. Really, it's just Dean, the boy who loves her despite her odd habit of counting everything around her when she needs to quiet her mind. When Dean promises her forever she never imagines it will be a lie.

After Marine hacker Ian Maclean is mistakenly declared dead by the US government, he's happy to correct them the moment he escapes c
Carrie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
River & Ian's story is a heartbreaking, beautiful journey. They will make you cry and laugh out loud and want to give out hugs to all your loved ones.

This can absolutely be read as a stand alone, but if you've read the Chadwell Hearts series, I would suggest a refresher before going into this one. All the books in that series take place around the same time frame, as does this one, and it's nice to see all the different angles.

I loved the pacing & way this story is told - the writing is beauti
JoJo
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, ebook
To say that River has hit a rough patch is putting it lightly.  River has run away from her hometown, her family, and most of all, her memories.  She gets by through working at a bar in a small town that she ran into during her escape.  But she gets stuck in a vicious cycle of self-abuse.  Until Ian walked in and changed everything.

Ian is only in this small town for a security job for a buddy.  He's called "Ghost" because you don't see him but he sees you and everything you do.  If you've got so
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Promise Me was a pretty average read for me. Whilst it was moving at times, I was sort of bored at the end of the book.

Our two main characters are River and Ian. River is grief-ridden and barely making it through her daily life. She works at a restaurant, and tries to keep everyone at arm’s length.

Ian is a Marine hacker, come back from the dead and complete with a new name. When a job requires him to look into a restaurant’s staff and surveillance, he meets River.

There’s a lot of push and pul
Wendy
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, romance
Promise Me was a nice read. The characters and storyline were very intriguing and I was interested to see how it would all play out. If you have read The Chadwell series before then this book is a great one to read. The timelines overlap so we get a different take on situations we’ve previously seen and more insight.

River and Ian were very complex characters with complicated backstories. Their story was heartbreaking but also uplifting at times. I felt for River. She was so broken after a trage
Ashley Scott
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a ARC of this book fo a honest review. This book started out way to slow. It finally got interesting about 30% in. When it finally grabbed my attention, it didn’t let go. This book is about love and lost and how others deal with it. Both main characters have connections to the military, either by joining or having a spouse join. The biggest problem I had with this book was that you learned what she is trying to get over and why she is the way she is, but with him, he kind of seems lik ...more
Marisela M. Chavez
I absolutely enjoyed this book.

River and Ian story was everything and more. I absolutely enjoyed every page of this incredible story. I was glad to see past characters and enjoyed all the obstacles both Ian and River had. I absolutely loved the outcome in the end. 💜💜
Kim
Apr 02, 2018 added it
DNF

I don't know if it is because of the time I started reading it or if it was the story or characters, but I've been trying to keep going with this one and it's impossible for me to finish it. One DNF a year doesn't hurt.
Sionna
*I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

DNF @34%

I did try to stick with this one, I swear. Over 30% into a book though, I expect to feel a connection forming with the characters or feel the confusion over events and names slowly fading.

The thing is, it took a while before I even realized some of the names where the same people. Last name is mentioned or first, but for awhile not together. So, when I finally figured out which first and last names went together, I
Elena Love
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!*

This is more of a 3.5 star read for me but, it leans a bit more towards 4 stars than 3 so, there we go! Now that, that's cleared up, let's get on to the actual review!

Promise me follows River and Ian, whose paths intertwine under extremely tragic circumstances that bring them together but, have the ability to easily tear them apart. Grief has torn River's life apart and after losing t
Jessie Seymour
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from Netgalley

I gave this book 4 stars. Holy crap this book had an amazing plot. I didn’t want to stop reading once I really got into it.

I have to admit I felt a bit cheated near the end. There was a confrontation I was so looking forward to, but it ended up being very anticlimactic and we never really got to see it happen. I really wish the author had included it.

I also wish that I had been warned that this contained characters from the authors Chadwell Hearts series. I was a
Brittany
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
If the synopsis of this book sounds good to you then you are in for a treat! The book is exactly as described with a twists thrown into the mix. There are stories out that are similar to this one but I can promise that not all of them will make you feel the way that this one will.

Ian and River are each struggling to get through each day of their new normal although River seems like she is struggling more so. She is drowning under a sea of depression and is not coping well with the things that s
Ali
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Promise Me while not part of the Chadwell Hearts series (which I love, I could read No Ones Angel a million times and not tire of it) allows you to see into bits of the Chadwell characters lives threw the story of River and Ian.

How hard could it be for “Ghost” to take on simple security job for friend while he reacquainted himself with civilian life? After serving in the military it should be nothing to solve some break ins and set up better security for Mr Chadwell. But what happens when thing
Becky Wise
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet and sad all at the same time. Promise Me is a great read and did make me a bit emotional. River is lost, grieving and trying to survive. She is one strong cookie even though it may not seem like it. River runs from her grief steamed from the lost of her husband and child. Bam when she doesn't realize it Ian (Cole, Ghost) enters the picture. Ian is healing from his own battles both as a captive and of betrayal. You can't deny the attraction between Ian and River. There is plenty of love and ...more
Autumn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual stars....3.75
What I wish I knew: I didn't realize this was a book that is part of a series. I did just fine reading it as a standalone, but I got confused in some relationships...I think if I had read the others, that would have made more sense to me. Easy enough to read without the other books, but maybe a bit easier to follow the sub-lines.
What I loved: This book wasn't run of the mill. There were some twists to the story line.
What I liked: in the end it was romance novel.
What I hate
James  Robert
Jan 21, 2018
Lisa
Jan 21, 2018

• White Knight (Dirty Mafia Duet Book 2)
  • Black Sheep (Dirty Mafia Duet Book 1)
  • The Bad Boy Biker
  • The Do-Over
  • Always Room for Cupcakes (Cupcakes, #1)
  • The Fall of Legend (Legend Trilogy, #1)
  • Resisting Him (Australian Heat, #1)
  • Secrets & Beyond
  • The Sexy One (One Love, #1)
  • House of Scarlett (Legend Trilogy, #2)
  • The Christmas Fix
  • That First Meeting: A Christmas Romantic Suspense
  • Burn (Men of Inked: Heatwave, #2)
  • The Fight for Forever (Legend Trilogy #3)
  • Valiant (Jokers' Wrath MC, #6)
  • Flame (Men of Inked: Heatwave, #1)
  • Christmas Hearts (Storm MC Reloaded, #2.5)
  • Frog Hog, Valen and Hutch (A Frog Hog Novella, #1)
Kelly Walker is a YA and NA author of several romantic titles, including the Souls of the Stones series. She has an unhealthy appreciation for chocolate, and a soft spot for rescued animals. Her best lessons on writing came from a lifetime of reading. She loves the fantastical, and the magical, and believes a captivating romance can be the most realistic magic of all. Kelly, her husband and her tw ...more