Start by marking “Winterglass (Her Pitiless Command Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Winterglass (Her Pitiless Command Book 1)

Winterglass

(Her Pitiless Command #1)

Winterglass is a sci-fantasy about one woman’s love for her homeland (Sirapirat) and her determination to defeat the Winter Queen who has overtaken the land.

The city-state Sirapirat once knew only warmth and monsoon. When the Winter Queen conquered it, she remade the land in her image, turning Sirapirat into a country of snow and unending frost. But an empire is not her
Published December 5th 2017 by Apex Book Company

Start your review of Winterglass (Her Pitiless Command Book 1)
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
„One day you will fire all that you are, like a bullet, into the heart of the winter queen.“

Even though I was really intrigued after reading the description, Sadly I DNFd it at 44%.
I’m not able to really give you a proper review, so I’ll give you this:
The story has
✅ a queen made of armor and ice which loves her female general
✅ a badass main character who does not care if her lover is female or male
✅ a competition to become a lieutenant of the queen and be trained by the general
✅ people w
Gary
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When we read stories, we are driven by a desire for closure, but we also long to have our satisfaction deferred until it is earned. We feel cheated if closure comes too soon, so the success of any story depends on keeping us in a protracted state of suspense as much as releasing that tension in a gratifying way. These contradictory impulses – a desire for the end and for making the end desirable – were dubbed “textual erotics” by the literary theorist Peter Brooks, a term that applies in both a ...more
Silvia
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

DNF @79%

I didn’t really like this and even though I DNF’d it around 80% I marked it as read because I could have just as easily kept skim reading until the end and it would have made no difference.

I wasn’t interested in the romance or in the world building but honestly the writing was what ruined this for me completely.

I’m not someone who complains about writing style a
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an appropriate book to finish out my year and my reading challenge for 2017.
Winterglass is a beautifully written story...

“It is beautiful at first, snow, Mother would say, until is erases and turns all you know into a copy of itself. Soon you no longer recall a time without; soon you forget warmth and buffaloes dozing by the riverbank. Soon, you remember only what it wants you to remember.”

First and foremost, I loved the diversity in this book, LBGTQ forward in a totally normative contex
Lex Kent
3 1/2 Stars. This is high fantasy with steampunk like elements. It is a loose retelling of the Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. Due to the length, I guess you would consider this a novella, but I didn’t even realize that while reading. Considering all the world building that was needed, there was a lot packed into this story in such a short time.

There was a lot of LGBT representation in this book which I liked. Lesbian characters, transgendered, gender-fluid, and there was no issues, ever
emma
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Your mind is a weapon, Nuawa, and we shall nurture it in the absence of fear. One day you will fire all that you are, like a bullet, into the heart of the Winter Queen.”

3.75 stars.

This is one of the most unique retellings I've ever read. Drawing on elements of the Snow Queen fairytale, Winterglass is an intriguing and action-packed story set in a steampunk Asian fantasy setting. All the characters are queer and/or POC, and heteronormativity and cisnormativity do! not!! exist!!! The gender,
Allison
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need to add a little snippet to this before I completely forget. Complete review some time in early October.

Completely gorgeous prose, typical for Sriduangkaew's work at this point. Unapologetically queer. Women living their best and worst lives. Is it sci-fi, is it fantasy? Who cares, it's perfect.

**11/6/17: I first read this almost 2 months ago and it's still ENTIRELY FRESH in my mind, always a great sign. Winterglass seamlessly blurs the lines between sci-fi and fantasy, which I love if it
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ 60%

I loved the diversity in this story, but the writing wasn’t for me. Maybe if it was a full book and had time for more explanations of the world and events, but as it stands, there’s too much info crammed into too small of a space for me to connect with it.
Tyler J Gray
My full review and more also on my blog!

Actual Rating: 3.25

This story is beautifully written. A queer retelling of the snow queen. It has fantasy, sci-fi and steampunk elements. Interesting and tough characters that I did like reading about. The world-building was beautiful too.

Fantasy sometimes goes over my head as it did here. I would have liked a bit more explanation and in-depth but I don't think it's a story fault. I think it's more so me being easily confused and not well versed in fantasy
Tracey Callison
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: aoc
[edit: oh my god, I did not realize that this author was Requires Hate, the horrible abusive racist troll/harasser. I regret giving them any of my money and won’t be any more. ]

Just as you’re really getting into it, *record screech* it’s ‘please deposit coin to continue’, ie it’s a novel that is being put out in pieces, not a stand alone story at all. I’m really getting tired of that trend and I’m not inclined to encourage it.
(Murderbot I love you but you should not have been four hardcover b
iam
I absolutely adored this, it's one of my favourite reads of 2017 and has so much re-reading potential I'm already looking forward to reading this again

Might write a proper review in the future!
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Galley provided by publisher

I am angry at this book. Angry because that's not an ending. Angry because there's throwing you straight into a world, but then there's lazy worldbuilding. Angry because of the lazy characterisation and lazy relationship development. But mostly angry because I put up with all that in the hopes that I'd get a satisfying ending and I didn't.

(But Charlotte, you say. Life often doesn't have satisfying endings. Yeah, but this ain't life, is it. This is fiction, and I would
vicky.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at 28%

I had no idea what was going on. NONE. The writing style is weird and we are just thrown into this world with no explanation of anything.
It has a lovely cover with a fantastic queer world but it was putting me on a slump.
Helen
I loved the atmosphere and the slow pace. I couldn't quite picture the world, there weren't enough details about it but the imagery and descriptive prose created an atmosphere, a feeling, so strong it almost didn't matter to me. I'm left with lasting impressions of an icy, powerful queen and a beautiful, cold world here you have to be ruthless to survive.

Winterglass meshes sci-fi and fantasy - I'd say it's sci-fi at the core but it's based on a retelling of Snow White and the fantasy feel is ver
Elliot
I am really not certain how to review this book - it's unlike anything I've ever read before. The setting blurs the lines between sci-fi and fantasy in some really interesting and unusual ways, which kept me off-balance as I read. The world building is intricate, and lovingly conceived, but since you are thrown into the deep end and very little is ever explained it, again, left me feeling off-balance. It's a very slippery little book.

The writing is artful and lovely, and the imagery is striking
-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ-
Winterglass is the first book of the year that I have given 1 Star. So congratulations on that. I wasn't sure what I was going into when I picked it up, but my hopes weren't especially high because it's so thin. But I was not expecting the confusing/ boring/ uneventfulstory. Because there was only 114 pages I found that the more exciting parts of the book fell flat with no emotion or tension. There was too much description on matters that weren't important, while others which are INSANELY more i ...more
Benjamin Appleby-Dean
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
My first impressions of this book were very positive - Sriduangkaew has a knack for description and vivid prose, and her world-building is creative, original and intriguing. Her book is also unapologetically, matter-of-factly queer, which I appreciated.
Both main characters are complex and well-drawn, although some readers might find neither of them especially sympathetic (though this wasn't a problem for me) - there's an (appropriate!) lack of human warmth here. The ambiguious dance of their rel
matthew
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stupendous: meticulous and beautiful prose scaffolds this dense and rewarding novella. Perhaps some of the finest prose in contemporary SFF, each sentence is its own reward. Yet WINTERGLASS is also a complex political tale, one withholding of easy answers. In conversation with the long history of orientalism in SFF and still of its own making. Wonderful read. Highly recommend.
Alina
Nov 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Looking fw to this one, as I totally loved The Snow Queen as a child. ...more
BookBlerd
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the world building & the queer characters (so many non-binary characters, plus a lesbian lead). However, I was a little let down by the ending. I hope that there will be a sequel novella one day. ...more
Luana
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is some irony in "Winterglass" feeling like, of all things, a warm bath.

This retelling of "The Snow Queen" takes such care to describe in exquisite (yet never florid) detail the land of Sirapirat, from its architecture to its fruits to the clothes on its people's backs, that the experience of visiting Sriduangkaew's world is a sensuous one indeed. Lovers of captivating and succinct worldbuilding should find plenty to love here.

Main character Nuawa, a master duelist and extreme trauma surv
Alpacapanache
Full review posted here.

Thanks to Apex Book Company and Netgalley for the ARC to review.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. I struggled with it for the first thirty pages as I acclimated to the setting and the style of writing, but then I found myself invested in both main characters. I knew they would likely end up working against each other and I wanted to see what would happen, especially as their relationships developed. The descriptive prose blew me away, and I loved that the story was set in a
Lara Corona
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entirely amazing. Read it for the gorgeous prose, for the excellent world-building, for the original retelling of the Snow Queen story, for the queerness (yay! non-binary representation). Just read it.
Lusie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is mysterious and the writing is beautiful. However, I didn't care for the characters. They are so ruthless. This book just wasn't really for me.
Daniel
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elle Maruska
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wavered between a three and four star rating but ultimately went with four because this book is beautifully written with intriguing characters, innovative magic systems, political intrigue, and lots of queer people kissing.

I think my biggest issues were mostly with the abrupt ending but I suppose that can 100% be forgiven, especially if there will be more books in this series. I also felt the tournament aspect of the book was unnecessary; none of the characters even seemed to care about it al
TM
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Look at the one star brigades that showed up the day of Cathy Young's reactionary hit piece on the author of this beautiful novella. Kind of obvious, too, with "Igor" calling the book "mediocre". I really don't get this desire to brigade authors for some sort of imaginary cause. Read the bloody book and stop paying attention to that bullshit discourse. And now with Young attacking Sriduangkaew it should be clear that these brigaders are on the wrong side of history.

Book is amazing, beautifully w
Tuni
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I will always and forever be a fan when you got a diverse queer as hell cast. Not just that. A diverse queer as hell society. When the writing doesn’t feel the need to explain and nitpick into the queer relationships and genders; they just ARE.

To incredibly simplify it: lesbian swords and guns. And really it only gets better and more diverse from there.
Gerchia
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
3/5 - 4

I read this out of order and I'm glad I did. The second book was better but it was really great seeing how it started.
The writing is still impeccable, lyrical and somehow to the point and I loved that.
So I you like the Snow Queen fairytale retellings you should definitely give this one a shot.
Cora
Winterglass has a lot of potential. It reveals a bit of a world that I am interested in knowing more about. The characters are wonderfully diverse and strong. The story, a retelling of The Snow Queen, builds slowly and at the end I felt that most of it happened in the background. That our main character does not really know what is going on and therefore neither do we the reader until it is revealed at the end. It results in me wanting to know more than I did and feeling a bit unsatisfied. I als ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: Winterglass - Benjanun Sriduangkaew (3 stars) 1 17 Jan 21, 2018 08:34AM

• The Seafarer's Kiss (The Seafarer's Kiss #1)
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Blood Is Another Word for Hunger
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Fugue State
  • The Hollow Places
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Beneath the Rising
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Firewalkers
  • Into the Gray
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Finna (Finna #1)
Science fiction, fantasy, and others in the between. Cute kissing ladies? I write those. Ruthless genocidal commanders? Got that covered too! 2014 finalist for Campbell Award for Best New Writer, 2015 BSFA finalist for Best Short Fiction (SCALE-BRIGHT). I like beautiful bugs and strange cities.

Her Pitiless Command (2 books)
  • Mirrorstrike