Start by marking “A Wasted Hour” as Want to Read:
A Wasted Hour

A Wasted Hour

A young student hitch-hiking home from college meets an old man with an incredible story to tell.

Taken from his collection Tell Tale, A Wasted Hour is an ingenious and witty short story sure to delight Jeffrey Archer's many fans and proves why the Mail on Sunday has said that he is 'probably the greatest storyteller of our age'.

If you loved this story be sure to look out f

Published September 12th 2017 by Pan (first published September 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Wasted Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wasted Hour

Start your review of A Wasted Hour
Sumit RK
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Just 12 pages & 2 characters and Archer weaves a story out of it like a master storyteller.
A young student hitch-hiking to college meets an old man with an incredible story to tell...And as usual with stories by Archer, the twist lies in the 'tale'.
I wish it could have been a bit longer but certainly worth a read.
Varun
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young girl usually hitchhikes her ride to her school, Stanford. Meets up fairly interesting people at times. Always looking for inspirations to write. Today, she's in for another mildly interesting ride ... or so she thought. A short interesting story, draws you in. Kept the suspense till the end. 3.5 Stars out of 5.

My reaction at the end of the book:
description
Ankit Saxena
Amazing..

This is my first from Jeffrey Archer. I must say its worth more than just a book of pages.Story is that much natural that it feels like real conversation. Amazingly beautiful Story.
Gary
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey Archer is not my favourite personality but he is an excellent story teller. This book is only 12 pages long but the story is so well written.
This is a short story with a twist and 'A Wasted Hour' proved to be a very satisfying 10 minutes read.
Ankit Garg
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am no one to judge the great Jeffrey Archer or his works, yet this short story of just around 12 pages clearly reflects his might as a writer and a master storyteller.

With just two characters, he has spun a world of words which contains all the elements a good story must have.

Oh, and that ending is simply awesome. Don't go by the title, it is misleading in every sense of the word.

Verdict: Highly recommended.
Shirley Revill
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, short-story
A very short story that I really enjoyed reading. Part of the brand new Tell Tale collection of short stories. Recommended.
Shubhi Nigam
Couldn't be more enthralled.
Amina
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amina by: Hitessh Panchal
I loved it!!! And that end! Oh my God!
Thans Hitessh for the recommendation!
Richard
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Excellent short story from a master of the art form. I remember reading “A sting in the tale” a collection of his short stories many years ago.
Since he has made an effort to allow readers more access to his back catalogue of short tales it would be a poor reader to dodge the opportunity to dip into these works. I think it will be like a bag of sweets with some noticeable favourites.
This is a great start; he tells of being too preoccupied by studies you fail to notice life passing you by along th
J. Alchem
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It was boring.

This one was boring. Though the story had a good start but then it had lost its charm and ended on a boring note.
Megha Chakraborty
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a waste of 11 minutes.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
I have already read collection of short stories authored by Jeffrey Archer ten years before. I happened to see many of his short stories free in Kindle edition. I downloaded this book.

A beautiful short story and a little twist at the end. Kudos Jeffrey I always enjoy your stories.
Bella
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Random conversations

You meet unexpected people in the journey of life... Often the old people share their experiences in life. A good read...
Ritesh Kukrety
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, delightful read. Simple prose, as befits a simple story. The twist at the end is pretty nicely done and gets the story a star more than I had initially planned.
Inderpreet Singh
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was good, captivating read. Such a short story and so many things discussed makes you awestruck on the imagination of the author.

PS: It made me think to expand and make it a 900-page novel. 😜
Katherine
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Wasted Hour follows Kelley, a student at Stanford and an aspiring writer.She always takes lifts from other people primarily for two reasons, firstly she wants to save money and second and most importantly she likes to listen to other people life stories,their past, memories and so on. She gains these factions of life experiences in of hopes incorporating them in writing a book someday. Her curiosity doesn't make her naive when it comes to this sort of arrangement,she abides by a set of rules a ...more
Mishika
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The end took the cake for me. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I am loving this short story spree I am on!
Shabana Mukhtar
Another masterpiece by the master of storytelling

Another masterpiece by the master of storytelling.
Us mere mortals can't even do justice in an attempt to describe his work. Short and sweet and awesome!
Abhijeet Jain
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was expecting a bit of thriller! It turned out as flat as a story can be!
Thomas Jones
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nothing is a waste

I knew it was going to be a short story but it has a good start, a very good middle and an excellent finish. A good easy read.
Sylvia Carlson
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely not a wasted hour.

A college student and aspiring writer meets an elderly man with an astonishing tale to tell. I loved the surprise at the end. Definitely not a wasted hour.
Shweta
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting. Good twist at the end. Wish there was more story...
Shampa Paul
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, short-story
Not so great, but a good story.
Sampath Kumar
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Simple and predictable short story
Hitessh Panchal
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Story of a different kind !

Light Reading and keeps you engrossed till the last page.

A Treat for Bibliophiles !!!

Aeon
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but interesting.

Short but interesting. I didnt find any conflict or such thing but i liked it. It was more like a quicky than a short story
Elizabeth Ducie
I didn't realise when I downloaded this that it was a short story. It only kept me occupied for about ten minutes. But it was a good read and the twist was great.
Rishi Suri
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read, but a little abrupt

I would have liked to read a little bit more.
Loved the build up but I was left wanting to turn another page and read further
Atrishi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a story! I wasn't sure how well Jeffrey Archer writes. After reading this short 14 page story I've made up my mind. This guy is a true story teller. Simply read this. You won't be disappointed.
Pratip Vijayakumar
A brilliant short read from Jeffrey Archer which follows the typical Short-story template of having a twist at the end. Interestingly the English Literature girl gets some inspiration in writing from the man who helps her get to her college in his car.
This short is definitely a decent read and sure you will get a lot of wisdom about writing and gaining experience before that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Text
  • Jeffrey Archer Presents: New Wife
  • Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Entrepreneur: Jack Ma, Alibaba and the 40 Thieves of Success (Entrepreneurship Guide)
  • Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
  • Kaveri
  • Adolf Hitler: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Bulletproof Memory: The Ultimate Hacks To Unlock Hidden Powers of Mind and Memory (Unlimited Memory Book 1)
  • Thomas Edison: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Work Smarter Not Harder: 18 Productivity Tips That Boost Your Work Day Performance
  • Death’s Door
  • MINDSET: How Positive Thinking Will Set You Free & Help You Achieve Massive Success In Life (Mindset, Mindset Techniques, Positive Mindset, Success Mindset, Self Help, Motivation)
  • World War 1: A History From Beginning to End
  • I Will Teach You Excel: Master Excel, surpass your co-workers, and impress your boss!
  • Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore
  • Alexander the Great: The Macedonian Who Conquered the World
  • Titanic: The Story About The Unsinkable Ship
  • Krishna's Secret
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married