Start by marking “Survival Instincts” as Want to Read:
Survival Instincts

Survival Instincts

Civilization ended long before Lynn Tanner was born. Wild animals roam the streets, but mankind is still the biggest threat to a woman alone in the ruins of a world reclaimed by nature. Lynn survives by sleeping with one eye open at all times and trusting no one but her dog.
When she is forced to go on a dangerous journey through the concrete jungle of New York City,
Published March 7th 2018 by Ylva Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Survival Instincts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survival Instincts

Start your review of Survival Instincts
Lex Kent
I was really excited about this book. I’m a big post-apocalyptic fan and they seem to be few and far between in lesfic. But I’m also an animal lover, and when I heard about some of the violent scenes, I started to worry. It came to a point instead of rushing to read this, I kept putting it off. After some advice, from a friend who had read this already, I finally felt okay with reading it. I’m so glad I did because I flat out loved this book.

I do want to give a warning first, yes thi
Lexxi Kitty
*I received this book from Ylva Publishing for an honest review*

This was one of those dense rich stories that took a while to read. If I recall correctly, and I might not, there was a similar denseness/richness in the short story I read by this same author – the only other work I’ve read by them. ‘What does that mean?’ Um . . . hmms. Boiled down: there’s a lot of ‘stuff’ packed into the words/actions/scenes. Right. So.

This story, entirely seen through the perspective of one charact
Jem
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Survival instincts

Violent. Gritty. Graphic. These are some of the first adjectives that come to my mind when I started reading Survival Instincts. And pretty much throughout the book. But by the end, I'd add to it pulse-pounding, heart-breaking, and quite simply--effing awesome!

It's a completely immersive and truly visceral experience. But it's not for the squeamish. Life in this dystopian future is more akin to life in prehistoric times--raw, wild and brutal. It's a lite
Bethany
So... I have to say up front that I really enjoyed this novel. The problem is that I read it so soon after reading Charon Docks at Daylight, and that means that I can't help but compare the two since they're both post-apocalyptic dystopian stories. If I had read Survival Instincts first, or if there had been more time between the two before I read Survival Instincts, I honestly think my rating would be much higher. Take that into consideration before making a choice to read or not!

Unfortunately, with Ch
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is an intense read. And it doesn't let up. It's relatively long in the world of Lesfic, but it doesn't feel like it. The action is just non-stop. I loved the slow way the relationship and trust built up between our two mains. The emotional need Lynn had for Dani was palpable to this reader. As mentioned in other reviews there are a few times when the time line doesn't seem to jive...but honestly very minor to the story as a whole.

4.5 stars rounded up....cuz zebras running wi
Alexis
Mother Nature's Revenge.

That would have been a perfect sub title to this book. A post war crumbling New York taken over by flora and fauna serves as the backdrop for this dystopian novel. This book was not at all what I was expecting because let's face it, everything dystopian lately is all about zombies or walkers or mutants etc. The concept of a concrete jungle turned into an almost literal jungle made for a very interesting read.

The other thing I wasn't quite prepared for was the amount of
Joc
Survival Instincts is set in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian New York City where zoo animals have procreated and become the predators they once were and buildings are slowly being absorbed back into nature. Lynn Tanner, a loner, and her dog are travelling southwards to warmer winters when she comes across a settler group in the middle of a hunt. Her dog, Skeever, rushes towards them and in the uproar that follows it becomes apparent that Lynn’s dog is known to the setter’s group. Thinking she has stolen Sk ...more
Jane Shambler
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! What can I say this book is amazing. It is set about 200 years after the world destroyed itself. The survivors are living either as settlers in the ruins of the cities or as wilders in the open countryside.

The book is centered on Lynn a wilder and Dani a settler. They set out on a journey to recover the body of the leader of Dani's group. Predators roam freely and there is possible danger at every turn. Everything is a struggle. But they persevere and bond. They learn to trust
Tiff
Survival Instincts by May Dawney was absolutely stunning! It has everything you want and need all wrapped up in one glorious tale. This is EASILY the best book I have read in 2018! The romance gives you the feels, the characters are strong, badass dynamic women! Off the charts amazing read.

Lynn Tanner is a survivor. That's what she does, that all she knows how to do. In a world that was devastated by war, living by your wits and survival skills is a must. Lynn has no family left, she
Netty
This is a really hard book to swallow for me because I’m a massive animal lover, I can’t stand any kind of harm whatsoever coming to anything that breaths, survival or not, but I have to be realistic about nature being cruel, I very nearly stopped reading it at the beginning because “f***ing hell’ one of the first scenes nearly made me sick, so I’m gonna try and base my rating on everything else but be warned if your like me then your in for a horrible reality check.
Now, these character ar
Arien
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC received from YLVA for a fair review.

3 stars. The book has its moments and they're really impactful emotionally but a lot of the book is repetitive.

I liked both leads - the strong and independent Lynn and the strong and not so independent Dani. And Skeevers is the best character in the book, dog companions rock.

The author also paints a fairly believable picture of a post-apocalyptic world, the descriptions are rich and paint an appropriately bleak picture. But then questions start to ari
Kurt
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Note: I was graciously provided a copy of this book by the publisher

Overall I think this is a good "end of the world" story with a romance. Some of it is gripping and other parts are gruesome. The story reads fluidly enough written in the third person, limited point of view. The author writes in such a way that I had no difficulty visualizing the story as a movie in my mind. The romance was a slow burn as it takes a long period for the trust issues between the two characters to be r
Farah ファラ
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Am Legend met Wall-E and The Zoo.

This was not an easy read, I worried about the hs' welfare/safety from the start till the end. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Lynn Tanner found herself travelling with Dani Wilson to dig out and retrieved a body that belonged to Dani's 'family'.

Lynn didn't want to complete the suicidal task and had been planning to ditch Dani onced it was safe to do so. Dani had an obligation to fulfill, formed ingenious plans of her own to make Lynn stick to the plan.

Lynn
M
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-books, sci-fi, thrillers
Good lord, this is simply an amazing slice of post apocalyptic, future thriller.

What an amazing book from an author that doesn’t seem to have published a full length novel previously.

This is as full on palette cleanse as you can get after reading any number romance novels with no bite. This has bite, claws, knives, spears and everything in between.

There is absolutely no fluff, this is as stripped a novel with harsh and “real world consequences” within a fantasy setting that you will find from
Corporate Slave
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a good read! Not my genre but loved it which means I highly recommend it :)
K. Aten
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Survival Instinct is the kind of book that grabs your attention early and holds onto it much too late into the night. Once I started it I found it very difficult to put the book down again. But it’s a big novel and you will be forced to wrench yourself out from time to time unless you have an entire day (or more depending on the reader) at your disposal.

I loved the action and the character progression. Dawney did an excellent job showing us what our world would look like a few hundred years aft
A.J. Schippers
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Liz
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ylva
This is a well written story set in a future world where nature are the predators. Some scenes were a little hard to read as an animal lover but that does not distract from the story.

I did find myself wanting more as how this world evolved and why people had gone back to either living in small groups or going it alone. The world is harsh and so are the characters. My favourite was the dog.

I enjoyed the story, full of action, but with 2 characters spending most of the time
A.W.
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is from Lynn's perspective and in the third person.  She is a strong character who survived all this time pretty much on her own.  Meanwhile, Dani, also a strong character in a different way is used to living with others.  It was interesting getting to know the characters and how not everything is at it seems.

There is romance in Survival Instincts and I enjoyed the slow burn romance that developed between Lynn and Dani.

I thought that the action was well des
Alealea
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had to force myself to finish that book.
It's well written, you easily get into the story and most character are shapely. So. What rubbed me wrong?
First, constant victimization and verbal abuse of the main character.
She survives on her own so she's selfish and untrustworthy ? What kind of moronic logic is that? They are all surviving by scrapes and we don't see the homesteaders sharing their wealth and acting honorable so their moral footing seemed completely unbelievable.
The complete
Starsandsun18
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this is a zombie book. I never read that blurb or reviews. My partner just gave me this as a present along with some other books and it’s on my TBR so I gave it a try.
Funny because I kept on waiting for the zombie to have an appearance. Well, until almost half of the book and I decided to checked Goodreads. Can’t stop laughing. Why did I think of zombies just because of the title?
I’m not really a fan of post apocalyptic/dystopian genre but I like this one. I’m thinking of Surviv
Jasmine
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has been on my radar for months and months. It did not let me down. I loved it. It was extraordinary. It was everything I dreamed of and more. I love anything (post) apocalyptic. This was like all my favourite movies and TV shows come to life with incredible writing and a beautiful romance between two strong, badass women, and a fascinating exploration of the things that make us human. This book is being bought in paperback by me ASAP and I know I will probably read it again very soon. ...more
Sara Rastakhiz
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was good. i enjoyed reading it . the world building was really good familliar yet unfamilliar! the connections the relationships and the character develooments were really good too! though i think the romantic phase was a bit too fast...but i liked that too! in fact very much so! though i would have prefered if the ending was different ( i like tragedies) but i cant help but to think it was kinda heatlrt warming too cuz many of the lgbtq relationships at least in my country lead to disasters ...more
BadassCmd
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Right off the bat:
I love the post-apocalyptic setting. And somehow I still haven't read a post-apocalyptic wlw book before, so I am just really glad this exists.

And the cover? I ADORE it. The aesthetic of the setting and cover together already makes me so, so happy.

Survival Instincts is fairly long (for a lesfic novel) and it's very thorough with the setting descriptions, so it wasn't a one-nighter for me, but I still really liked it.

I also want to note how w
Jane Clements
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a good, smart dystopian novel, and the prospect of a good, smart dystopian novel with lesbian characters thrills me. I tried not to get too excited when I started this book, though, because there are not too many good ones around, so I’m often disappointed.

Survival Instincts did not disappoint me. I have a few quibbles with it but nothing that made me put the book down in disgust.

I love that there are only hints of what caused the apocalyptic event or events that led to the world the/>Survival
Emma Sterner-Radley
This book shows you the thrill and struggle of surviving in a wild, dystopian New York. Two young women, with their emotional walls crumbling, grow and learn about themselves and each other. Occasionally a harsh read but so captivating!
Five stars for this page-turner!
Betty
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very good dystopian novel. I’ve read many novels that lean toward dystopian, and many of those are crap. Thankfully, this one does not fit into that mold. The characters are well drawn, the story flows smoothly and captures you with the very first page…and it keeps you captive until the very end.
The author did a fairly good job of describing what the world would be like with the human population decimated 200 years in the future. The only unrealistic part of the story for me, was
BookFiend17
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Society and the government have fallen and the future looks nothing like the present. Mother Nature is reclaiming what is rightfully hers. Now ask yourself do you have what it takes to survive. Would you be a wilder or a settler? Survival Instincts by May Dawney really has me thinking! I found it to be an intriguing read that I didn’t want to put down. I don’t believe I’ve read many dystopian novels before because I’m a scaredy cat and I thought they’d be kinda scary but I loved this! I would hi ...more
Bryn Hammond
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Adventurous, realistic, gradual relationship, lots of wild animals and a well-drawn dog. I appreciated the animal knowledge and the practical know-how that made this survival story so believable. For Lynn who has lived in the Wilds on her own, the road to human interaction, to trust, to emotional encounters she has never had with a person, is slow and stumbly. In spite of the violence and precariousness of life, the book isn't bleak since the story arcs towards humanity, not away.

Colleen Corgel
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, lgbt
I really enjoyed this Sci-Fi like debut. Its interesting because the book itself has a science fiction premise - the setting is sometime in the future with humanity mostly wiped out and those that are left must navigate this wild new world to the best of their abilities. However, that's where it stops.

We drop in on a scavenger named Lynn who's just recently picked up a new dog, that so happens to belong to a leader of the nearby group of settlers. Lynn gets captured by the group and must negoti
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Red Files
  • The X Ingredient
  • The Brutal Truth
  • Beautiful Dreamer
Author signed at Ylva Publishing. My motivation to write comes from the desire to build worlds that are somehow more (or less) than our own. I want to write stories where miracles are logical manifestations of the supernatural or divine and discover what it means to be human when humanity is no longer a given. What I want to add to the amazing body of literature already out there, both to the main ...more