Start by marking “Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)

Between Burning Worlds

(Die Rebellion der Sterne #2)

A thief.
An officer.
A guardian.
All from different backgrounds, but sharing one same destiny…

The planet Laterre is in turmoil. A new militant revolutionary group has emerged calling themselves “The Red Scar” and claiming responsibility for a spate of recent bombings. The infamous rebels known as the Vangarde believe that in order to bring about a peaceful revolution, their
688 pages
Published March 24th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Between Burning Worlds, please sign up.
Allison Jessica Brody's instagram says summer 2021 😊. And apparently it will be called Suns will Rise.…moreJessica Brody's instagram says summer 2021 😊. And apparently it will be called Suns will Rise.(less)
Taylor Sanders I don’t know exactly what you mean? If you’re referring to sex yes it’s clean, if you’re referring to death and violence as what happened in Les Mis, …moreI don’t know exactly what you mean? If you’re referring to sex yes it’s clean, if you’re referring to death and violence as what happened in Les Mis, it’s not but it’s not like overly graphic. It’s standard for YA(less)

Start your review of Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This second book was amaze balls!! It helped get me through the tornado devastation! The authors nailed this one!! One of the best second books I’ve read! I loved the new characters and well, everything!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
#1) Sky Without Stars: ★★★★☆

There is a recap of everything that happened in the first book at the beginning of this book, so you don't have to reread it. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize this until I opened this book and had already reread the first book.

Marcellus meets with Mabelle, his governess, at an old copper exploit and finally agrees to join the Vangarde. He thinks that by doing this he'll leave his life as his grandfather doting protégé, but...the Vangarde wants someone spying on
Boston
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Honestly this was a really impressive sequel to Sky Without Stars. The most notable things being worldbuilding and characters. We’re introduced to other parts of the System Divine and we meet new characters (I would die for Etienne btw). The buildup to the end didn’t seem rushed or forced as they sometimes do and I found myself unable to put the book down. Overall, a really solid book and awesome sequel.
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 um hahahahah. Holy shit. Rtc

The beginning of this book started off for me, pretty similarly to the first. There was a lot of information that I had to remember again and people to get to know all over again. I remember at one point thinking “man this is another one of those long books that might not need to be so long. It’ll probably only be a 4.” And like the first book, the last 25%, maybe even 50% delivered enough excitement, intrigue, and emotions that bumped that rating up for me.

The st
Christy
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored Sky Without Stars, full of twists, characters that stay with you, and a world so full of visualization that you can picture it when you shut your eyes. So to say I was exciting for Between Burning Worlds is an understatement!

While Chatine was the focus in Sky Without Stars, Marcellus is the star here. Having rebelled from his family and now aligned the Vangarde, Marcellus is faced with pulling the rose colored glasses off and looking at the world of Laterre with clear eyes.
Tiffany Elaine Conn
Honestly, where do I even begin? This book is a complete masterpiece , and I feel like I’m cheating on my favorite book by saying this may very well be the most brilliant thing I’ve ever read.

The first book was fun enough, following similarly to Les Misérables, but in space. But book 2 took its own twist and formed its own story in a fantastique new way.

It was original, captivating, jaw-dropping, and full of twists and chapters that ended with me on the edge of my seat.

If you don’t LOVE this
Diana
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vid review available May, 1st, 2020 https://youtu.be/XHxxNj1L0gQ ...more
Mila
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series
I guess I shouldn't have picked up the sequel because it's not like I enjoyed the first book that much. But here we are. I honestly thought this book was alright, it was definitely way too long and described too many things that didn't have any real purpose for the story. I still liked Chatine and couldn't care about the two other cardboard pieces that were parading as the other two main characters. I guess this series could've been better with more character development and some editing and cou ...more
USOM
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I adore the world building of Brody and Rendell because it takes the issues I love from Les Miserables and adds all these SF elements. It is such a work of talent and craftsmanship to be able to balance this intricate storyline, world building, and multiple POV. Between Burning Worlds is an epic sequel to what is turning into one of my favorite SF series. Also can we just give a
rose ★
hi i have SO MUCH to say and none of it makes sense.

let’s go!

starting off with all the little issues i had

(actually these aren’t quite deserving of the word “problems” or even “issues” really. maybe more like gripes? anyway. this is going to be too long a list for a rating this high but hear me out.)

1. it needed more enjolras. :/
like really. we all know i love him, so i did not come here to not be able to tell which character he was. i mean really, you can’t get me all excited about the rebellio
Bryn Riplinger-Shutt
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book in this series had me positively gushing (and I don't gush). But this sequel just has me in awe.

Brilliant, utterly epic, heart-pounding, totally original and yet filled with references and inspiration from the classic Les Mis. I can't recommend this highly enough.

One thing I do want to point out that pleased me so much were the relationships. YA=kissing, physical gawking … oh, and as a 30 something adult I'm also supposed to expect these hormonal children are going to save the w
Rachel (Royal_Reading_Company)
So I guess there will be a third book even though there isn’t a hint of it on goodreads! What a wild ride with so many twists and turns!

*************

CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS BOOK! The cover is gorgeous. The blurb sounds super exciting. I just hope we get this in the early part of 2020, because I'm gonna miss my little babies so much!! I need to know what happens.
Mellie Antoinette
The Vanguarde is on the rise.
The Patriarche is in the way.
The Blade will rise.
The Red Scar will fall.

Bloody brilliant!
Andreajanel
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The publisher and Netgalley provided me with an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

The first book in this series, Sky Without Stars, was one of my top reads last year. The richly imagined world, premised upon one of my favorite works of classical literature, was firmly entrenched as one of the most vivid and lyrical re-tellings I have ever read. I was beyond excited when I heard about the sequel, and have already pre-ordered my hardcover edition.

Between Burning Worlds evokes al
Aly
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an intense read, so many things are in motion after the first book and things just get crazier as the plot progresses.
Once again, Chatine is the best character of the story lol. I just think that she's been through so much, lived a hard life on the streets and never had someone care about her. She thought Marcellus might be different, until he found out who she was and pushed her away. She starts out in prison and gets embroiled in the rebel plot to extract their leader. I was so excit
A C
Rating this book is...hard. Because while I adore this premise and enjoyed the story...I hate one of the three main characters and am apathetic about a second. So. Idk. Four stars is the best rating I could give it.

The story:

+ The Good:
- The premise. I love this idea of retelling Les Mis in space! I love it!
- The world. While yes, the world building isn't perfect, it is still decent, and I enjoyed reading about this complicated, tumultuous world
- Many of the side characters were very compelling,
Layla
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A phenomenal, action packed, heart wrenching sequel that I struggled to put down.

I honestly was so worried that the momentum from the first book might be lost on the sequel as I loved it so much, but these authors brought their A games once again.

Thrilling, emotional and filled with fire - a five star read all around. I cannot wait for the final installment, do not sleep on this series. Les Mis in space has never hurt so good.
gwendalyn _books_
BETWEEN BURNING WORLDS

This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

First of all, than you so much to The Fantastic Flying Book Club and Simon Pulse for an ARC in exchange for an honest review and participation in the bookstagram tour!

Les Misérables meets The Lunar Chronicles in the out-of-this-world sequel to Sky Without Stars that’s an “explosion of emotion, intrigue, romance, and r
Teodora Lipciuc
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WILL REVIEW PROPERLY ONCE I AM ABLE TO Articulate™
Erica Brown
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HOLY MOLY!!!

I NEED THE SEQUEL NOWWWWWW!!!!
Lesa Divine
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 🌟

Continuing from book 1. Lots more characters but still we only reading through the same 3 main characters.

Gets to travel in to other worlds.

Follow traitors among the politics.

Enjoyed it. Very vivid too.
Jan farnworth
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you thought the first book in this series was a nail bitter you not seen anything yet. I was on the edge of my seat throughout this whole book. You really feel like your inside the story and the advantage of each chapter being a different character really adds to the oh my word what gonna happen next. Their are plot twists that i did not see coming and some that were a bit easy to predict. Your in for a treat as well cause if you thought this was a two book series your wrong this one ends on ...more
Meghan
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing - Simon Pulse in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I know we have ourselves a keeper here when I felt like I was at still in the realm waiting for the fugitives to strike but this time save the world. Marcellus, Chatine and Alouette are all prisoners of the same realm but with different motives and offenses. But when their realm Laterre is threatened by
Paige Green
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an e-arc from netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Between Burning Worlds

Author: Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell

Book Series: System Divine Book 2

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: March 24, 2020

Genre: YA Sci-Fi

Recommended Age: 16+ (violence, gore, death, rape alluded to)

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Pages: 688

Amazon Link

Synopsis: A thief.
An officer.
A guardian.
All from different backgrounds, but sharing one same destiny…

The planet Laterre is in turmoil. A new militant revolu
A C
So Goodreads deleted my original review of this, so here's my review upon reread.

I docked an entire star just because of what/who Aloutte turns out to be. Because of COURSE she's a Speshul McSpeshulton. Of course. Because she is, and I QUOTE "not like other girls".

I'm sort of kidding. Kinda. Although Aloutte is the main reason I rated only four stars, she isn't the only reason.

The other reason is because three of the Les Amis appeared, and the only one I recognize as being anything like the actu
Natalie
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great sequel! I loved the first book, but remembered almost nothing about it. I dove in without even reading a recap, and it all came back. I didn’t have any trouble following along. There was a lot of excitement, and for YA it was fairly romance light. It was a wild ride with basically nonstop action. It reminded me a lot of the Lunar Chronicles, and I loved that series, so combine that with the fact that I love Jessica Brody’s books anyway, and this is one enjoyable series. I can’t wait ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
why did my dumbass think this was just a duology?

I don't understand how the authors wrote two 600+ page books that made me feel like I read them in a blink. I freaking love the plot of this one so freaking much.
Victoria
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this!

It took all the tension form the first book and ratcheted it up. So many twists and turns. SO much happening. Every page had some fascinating revelation. I'm head over heels for these characters and can't wait for the next book to come out
Sheila Goicea
Book 1: Sky Without Stars: ★★★★★

I'm excited to be a part of the BETWEEN BURNING WORLDS blog tour with The Fantastic Flying Book Club from March 24th - March 30th, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher, SimonTeen and The FFBC, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

I said it before, and I'll say it again, authors Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell have immense talents to create such a riveting retelling of the memorable Les Misér
Nancy
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, arc
This exceeded my expectations. You know how near the end of Sky Without Stars, the narrative broke free from Les Mis, did more of its own thing, notched up the tension, and piled on the cliff hangers? There’s a lot more of that in book two. Or at the least, it picks up that thread of storytelling far more quickly.

As the story opens, Chatine is enduring the horror of prison, Marcellous is busy being the most obvious double agent ever, and Aloutte, who takes some time to appear, is trying to solv
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • We Met in December
  • Jenseits der goldenen Brücke (Cassardim, #1)
  • Stargazing
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Das Schwert der Totengöttin (Black Alchemy, #1)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1)
  • Passion on Park Avenue (Central Park Pact, #1)
  • Wasteland
  • Things in Jars
  • The Grisha Trilogy (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Resurrection (The Sainthood - Boys of Lowell High, #1)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 10: Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 8: Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 9: On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager

Die Rebellion der Sterne (2 books)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...