Start by marking “It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)” as Want to Read:
It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)

It's Not Hansel and Gretel

(It's Not a Fairy Tale #2)

In the fairytale mashup, Hansel and Gretel talk back to the narrator, refusing to play their roles.
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Hansel and Gretel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Hansel and Gretel

Ivonne Rovira
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: snarky readers of all ages
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amazon First Reads
I was not pre-disposed to like this book. Alternative fairytales worked well in the Fractured Fairytales cartoons, in Jon Scieszka’s The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, and in Michael Buckley’s the Sisters Grimm series, but, for the most part, they’re obvious and dumb.

But author Josh Funk totally won me over. No one in this fairytale does what they’re supposed to do. The narrator even becomes frustrated at Gretel in particular for defying the traditional plotline. And you’ll be
Kristi Bernard
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just in case you don’t know the story of Hansel and Gretel, this isn’t it either. The actual story is about a brother and sister who almost get eaten by a mean old witch. This story has Hansel and Gretel doing something a bit different and all the while they maintain a very positive attitude. The narrator of this, not so Hansel and Gretel, tale gets a bit frustrated with the changes being made to the story by the characters.

This delightful remake has a lot of humor. Young readers will enjoy the
Beth
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
if you have kids, or just an adult kid like me ... please check these reads out ... on Kindle Unlimited: Mr. Funk ... just amazing ... i am rating book 2 a bit better ... 'cause i love the pink ... so girlie fun!!
Edwardian Taylor (illustrator)
genius!! i am totally a big kid at heart ... these drawings - doodles (all respect there) are just amazing ... so short but so kid friendly ...they will love it ... amazing to the eyes. well done. first read his it's not hansel and gretel - saw that it was
Kelly Carey
This is a rollicking and hilarious -- spit the milk out of your nose -- read!!

The illustrations are bright and funny and wonderfully corny!

And Gretel has attitude! This is the sister everyone should have -- she is confident and in charge and doesn't tolerate any gingerbread antics from anyone!

Your kids will laugh at Hansel & Gretel, groan at their silliness, and ultimately cheer for them. But be sure to have cookies, cakes, or candy on hand - this book will make them hungry for more than
Mrs. Krajewski
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌟 My kids say this one deserves a “bonus star.” Another laugh-out-loud tale from Josh Funk. We loved Gretel and Hansel, their hilarious banter, and also searching for all the different fairy tale characters. A new favorite!
Jana
I had the opportunity to read a review copy of this picture book that was sent to my #BookRelays group to share. This is such a fun twist on the traditional Hansel and Gretel story. Hansel and Gretel want to tell their own story, and just because different elements are traditional doesn't mean that's the way it always has to be. Gretel is bold and sassy and determined to have things her own way. The brightly colored illustrations really add to the fun of this book. This book could be a great men ...more
Aeicha
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think you know the story of Hansel and Gretel, right? Wrong! You have NO idea...but don’t worry, Josh Funk is here to tell you the real story in It’s Not Hansel and Gretel.

It’s Not Hansel and Gretel is a deliciously, laugh-out-loud funny tale that puts an imaginative and exciting spin on the classic story. Wickedly clever and bursting with oodles of charm, Funk’s pitch-perfect storytelling will keep young readers absolutely enthralled. Edwardian Taylor’s silly, whimsical illustrations bring
Heidi
Following in the footsteps of their previous collaboration (It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk), It's Not Hansel and Gretel attempts to tell the tale of Hansel and Gretel and fails miserably. Gretel just won't go along with the way the narrator wants to tell the story. She believes firmly that her parents love her and Hansel, despite the narrator telling her otherwise and she refuses to believe the witch is a witch. And she's annoyed when Hansel's name always comes first and she's left to do the ch ...more
Courtney
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a lucky winner of this book from the Goodreads giveaway! This book was a clever twist on a classic tale. As an adult, I laughed out loud on numerous occasions and enjoyed seeing familiar characters scattered around the book. As an upper elementary teacher, I will be sharing this book with the primary teachers at my school. The twists and humor of this book are sure to make even the youngest readers giggle with joy!
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Such a fun fractured fairy tale. This retelling of Hansel and Gretel is completely different from what you are used to. I think 2nd grade and up would love to have this story read aloud to them. If you read aloud Jon Scieszka's fractured fairy tales, this one fits in perfectly with those. They are funny, and will definitely inspire your students to write their own fractured fairy tales.

Elementary teachers and school librarians should definitely have this to read aloud. So much fun!
Katie Reilley
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to read aloud! My 5th graders loved reading this one with a helper parent for #classroombookaday. So much voice to be heard!
Tommie Hargus
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated Hansel and Gretel

Per my grandson it's really cool. I like it because of the pictures, his words. He knew the story of Hansel and Gretel, so he enjoyed the changes.
Kris
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute twist on the original story, and the art is fun and bright. I would say it isn’t particularly memorable, and that is it’s biggest problem.
Fatima Calderon
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet, and funny

It was fun to read with the kids and I doing the voices as we read out loud. It was fun to act it out.
Scottsdale Public Library
Josh Funk's retelling is fabulously funny, incredibly creative, and much less frightening story than its Grimm Brother's classic. -Megan G
Avid
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not so good of Hansel & Gretel

I was very disappointed. I have not read this author previously a nd perhaps it is simply his style but it took a long time classic and turned it into a modern day dumbed down Saturday morning cartoon reminding me of The Fairly Odd Parents my children watched when young. Not for me. Not impressed at all. Won't be reading to my grandkids or students.
Heather
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and funny

Read this with my 8yo and we both laughed. Going to read his other one about Jack and the Beanstalk. I’m sure we will be entertained!
Giedre
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny

Cute little classic children's story with a twist. Brilliant sense of humour, easy to understand jokes. My kids loved it.
Mary L.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This wasn't my cup of tea--but I bet 3rd graders would enjoy it. It's written like a comic book with remarks by Hansel and Gretel that are just the type of humor that kids enjoy. Luckily it took less than a half hour to read it.
Michelle
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
Didn’t think it could get funnier than “It’s Not Jack and the Beanstalk” but this did! Absolutely hysterical. I know students and kids all over (including those trapped inside grown up bodies) will love this book tremendously.
Jillian Heise
So glad there are more in this series of "It's Not a Fairy Tale" books from Josh Funk. They are hilarious and entertaining, and this one is better than the first (It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk). Definitely better as a read aloud with multiple people to take on the various roles.
Laurie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3

Do you think you know the story of Hansel and Gretel? Well think again! This is Hansel and Gretel (wait, excuse me, it's actually Gretel and Hansel) like you've never read before! It was a time of great famine so Hansel and Gretel's parents needed to get rid of their children because they couldn't feed them (Seriously? Maybe, maybe not). As their father leads them into the woods, they get lost and stumble upon the evil witch's candy house. The evil witch lures them into her ho
Baby Bookworm
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is It’s Not Hansel and Gretel, written by Josh Funk and illustrated by Edwardian Taylor, a hilariously fractured twist on the original fairy tale.

As the narrator of Hansel and Gretel’s tale opens the scene, he is immediately distracted by the presence of Jack (of “and the Beanstalk”, and the protagonist of the book’s prequel). Shooing Jack back to his own story, the narrator begins the familiar tale: in a time of great famine, Hansel and Gretel’s parents plot to ab
Kimberly
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you @kidlitexchange and @joshfunkbooks for the review copy of this fabulous picture book. All opinions are my own. It’s Not Hansel and Gretel released 2.1.19. Trust me you need to order and get this on your shelf now.

My daughter and I always look forward to reading the fun books that Josh Funk comes up with. They always contain the right mixture of entertainment and silly humor. What’s extra special about this series is that it centers around a fractured fairytale. You have all of the fam
Cindy Hudson
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When hard times hit Hansel and Gretel’s family, their father takes them into the woods and leaves them there. The storyteller says it was part of an evil plot to get rid of the children. But the two urchins know he was just going home for blankets to keep them warm, and then he lost his way.

In It’s Not Hansel and Gretel, writer Josh Funk brings humor to the classic fairy tale, with the children challenging the narrator every step of the way. He insists there were breadcrumbs, they say no way. He
Christy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's Not Hansel and Gretel is a hilarious follow-up to It's Not Jack and The Beanstalk. In fact, Jack even has a cameo in this book! We all know the traditional Hansel and Gretel story from the Brothers Grimm, right? The evil step-mother convinces the father to take the children into the woods to leave them there to starve. Well this book is NOT Hansel and Gretel. I mean, the title is It's Not Hansel and Gretel.

Just like in It's Not Jack and The Beanstalk, the characters in the book take it over
Melki
Here's a fun fractured fairy tale! I particularly enjoyed this plucky Gretel who dares to ask, "Why isn't it ever Gretel and Hansel? And, when Hansel is plunked into a cage and force-fed to fatten him up, she quips, "The boy gets to sit around and eat candy while the girl has to cook and clean? Get with the times - this is the fifteenth century!"

Edwardian Taylor's trippy illustrations are also a delight!

description

description

Rebekah
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggle, conversation bubbles and text made the story choppy

I love children's books, but I don't usually review them. I strggled with this book.
What I liked:
--This was a fun twist on a fairy tale. Loved the unicorn spin and the ending. Seems relevant to kids today.
--I liked that the "narrator" was really the bad guy of the story.
--I liked that the kids take responsibility in the story.

What I didn't like:
--I thought the conversation bubbles across the book made it a little hard to follow.
--The
Thumbnail That
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author blew it out of the park with this one. Funk’s crafty storytelling is quite refreshing. I loved how the narrator was the voice of reason to Hansel and Gretel identifying trouble along the way. But their ambivalence and trusting nature added to the humor throughout their adventure. The kids’ naivety and know-it-all comments will remind parents of the conversations they’ve had with their own children. Ha!

The illustrations were masterfully executed and a colorful extension of the text. Th
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
It’s Not Hansel and Gretel by Josh Funk, illustrated by Edwardian Taylor. PICTURE BOOK. Two Lions, 2019. $18. 9781503902947

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

The narrator tries desperately to keep the story of Hansel and Gretel on the traditional track, but the children have other ideas.

In order to enjoy the splendid silliness of this retold tale, make sure you’ve read the original to your students first. Then you can all enjoy the character/narrator interaction and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Here Comes Teacher Cat
  • I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
  • Rock What Ya Got
  • She Spoke: 14 Women Who Raised Their Voices and Changed the World
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • There's Nothing to Do!
  • Hansel & Gretel
  • The People Shall Continue
Josh Funk writes silly stories and somehow tricks people into publishing them as books - such as the Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast series (including The Case of the Stinky Stench and Mission Defrostable), How to Code a Sandcastle (and the upcoming sequel How to Code a Rollercoaster), It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk, Dear Dragon, Albie Newton, Pirasaurs!, Lost in the Library: A Story of Patie ...more

It's Not a Fairy Tale (3 books)
  • It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk
  • It's Not Little Red Riding Hood (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #3)