Start by marking “In the Name of the Father: Family, Football, and the Manning Dynasty” as Want to Read:
In the Name of the Father: Family, Football, and the Manning Dynasty

In the Name of the Father: Family, Football, and the Manning Dynasty

For generations, American athletes have enjoyed the ever-escalating celebrity lavished upon them when they combine on-the-field talent with off-the field charisma, but never before have we seen as transformative a sports dynasty as the Mannings: a bloodline of strong arms, Southern values, and savvy business instincts—each man compelling in his own right, made whole by fam ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by Liveright

To ask other readers questions about In the Name of the Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Name of the Father

Lance
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Football fans, both college and professional, know about the Manning family. Father Archie and sons Peyton and Eli all became All-Pro quarterbacks in the NFL and the two sons have each won two Super Bowls. Even their older brother, Cooper, was a football star (although he was a wide receiver) in high school before being diagnosed with spinal stenosis during his freshman year in college. Their family lineage and royalty in football is told in this very good book by noted biographer Mark Ribowsky. ...more
Bob D'Angelo
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was well-researched through books, articles and the internet, and Ribowsky has a nice conversational tone in his writing. It might have been better for more author interviews, although Ribowsky does talk to several people from the Mannings' high school and college days. Overall, a pleasant read.

Here is my full review on my website.

Katie Avagliano
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting enough book for those of us a little too young to have yet witnessed legacies, but a bit too full of stats rather than visceral action. It sort of reads like a very long, interesting Wikipedia page.
David Ward
In the Name of the Father: Family, Football, and the Manning Dynasty by Mark Ribowski (Liveright Publishing Corp. 2018) (Biography) (3394). Disclaimer: I'm a lifelong fan of college football. Most specifically, I'm a big fan of the University of Tennessee Volunteers, which is Peyton Manning's alma mater. As a Vol fan, the entire Vol Nation claims Peyton as our favorite football player bar none. But never having read any type of biography of Peyton, curiosity got the best of me, and I picked this volume ...more
Zach Koenig
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Manning family has left an impact on the NFL since practically the very inception of the league itself. What author Mark Ribowsky does here is examine the three primary pillars of that legacy, along with weaving their football story in with the culture of the Deep South.

It starts with Archie, hero of Ole Miss and "lovable loser" as QB of the New Orleans Saints. Peyton comes next, rebelling to choose Tennessee, and then becoming perhaps the greatest NFL QB of all-time. Then there'
George Huner
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt old finding out that Archie is only 4 years older than me. I enjoyed every minute of Peyton playing for the Broncos including the Super Bowl win in Santa Clara. It was a special time to watch the Broncos. It was amazing to watch Peyton use every second of the play clock and know he was in complete control of the situation. It was interesting to read about his pre-Bronco days and the family football history.
Kristin Nelson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting to read about the history of the Mannings growing up and the family interaction. It was probably hard for Ribowsky to keep it chronologically organized especially when Peyton and Eli were both in the NFL, but he did a good job of it. Also his writing seemed pretty impartial. I'm not a huge football fan so the stats were not my favorite part. I'm sure other readers love those details!
Susan Csoke
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Manning family Saga of Football. Eli, the youngest his brother Payton and their father Archie. If you love football or the Manning's, you will love this book. Extraordinary!!!!! Thankyou Goodreads for this free book.
Michael
Beth
Aug 31, 2018
Doug
Jan 13, 2019
Mark Ribowsky is the author of seven books, including the New York Times Notable Book Don't Look Back: Satchel Paige in the Shadows of Baseball. He lives in Plainview, New York.