Start by marking “Fight Club” as Want to Read:
Fight Club

Fight Club

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  436,152 ratings  ·  12,783 reviews
Chuck Palahniuk showed himself to be his generation’s most visionary satirist in this, his first book. Fight Club’s estranged narrator leaves his lackluster job when he comes under the thrall of Tyler Durden, an enigmatic young man who holds secret after-hours boxing matches in the basement of bars. There, two men fight "as long as they have to." This is a gloriously origi ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fight Club, please sign up.
David Lerner No, no, no. It's not about the words, it's about the sentences they form.
This is absolutely the last book I would have anybody below eighteen…more
No, no, no. It's not about the words, it's about the sentences they form.
This is absolutely the last book I would have anybody below eighteen read/listen to.
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Olof Hagström I enjoyed the ending of the movie more, so did the author. Though I think the ending of the book becomes more obvious as you get further into the…moreI enjoyed the ending of the movie more, so did the author. Though I think the ending of the book becomes more obvious as you get further into the book. So I think the surprise factor the book holds is significantly milder.(less)

·  436,152 ratings  ·  12,783 reviews

ruzmarì
Mary Ann Evans, in the 1850s, spoke out against the notion that "lady novelists" were capable of producing only "silly novels" - precious, sentimental, illogical and improbable claptrap - while men produced high literature. She changed her name to George Eliot and wrote as a "gender neutral" narrator, highly educated and worldly, and mostly transparent (i.e., not silly).

The 1990s finds us again at a crossroads where literature is concerned, with the rise of Oprah's book club and the whole genre
anarki
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You do not talk about Fight Club, but...

Upon winning the Oregon Book Award for best novel and the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Award, Chuck Palahniuk’s visionary debut novel, Fight Club, was shot to the veins of mainstream fiction. Following the success of its 1999 film adaptation directed by David Fincher, Fight Club gained cult classic status and has become a disturbingly accurate interpretation of our modern world.

The unnamed male narrator, suffering from a long streak of insomni
Bill  Kerwin

I wondered whether this book would seem self-absorbed and shallow in our post-9/11 world, but instead I found it prophetic. Throughout the materialism and political correctness of the 1990's and Tyler Durden's response to it, you can sense how all that repressed mama's boy machismo is just hoping and praying for something big and fiery and nasty that would blow our little precious world apart. Well, with 9/11 and the Iraq war, we sure got it. So . . . are all you boys satisfied now?

Sure, this b
jessica
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the first rule of reading fight club is: you do not talk about reading fight club.

which is a good thing because i honestly have no idea what i read.
man, this book is W I L D.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club is a 1996 novel by Chuck Palahniuk. It follows the experiences of an unnamed protagonist struggling with insomnia. Inspired by his doctor's exasperated remark that insomnia is not suffering, the protagonist finds relief by impersonating a seriously ill person in several support groups. Then he meets a mysterious man named Tyler Durden and establishes an underground fighting club as radical psychotherapy.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و ششم ماه می سال 2011 میلا
Lyn
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe in love at first sight, and I’m talking about books.

A few pages into The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin and I knew that this was the book I had been looking for my whole life. The same for Robert A. Heinlein’s brilliant The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. These books are speaking to me, the author and I are sharing a conversation and I am hearing what I want to hear but the writer, through the osmosis of shared visions, is saying for me what I want to say. I had nebulous thoughts and that
Jun 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trendwhores
Dear Chuck,

I have tried to like you. Really, I honestly have. I tried to read Rant, I tried to read Choke and then I attempted this book. Rare is the moment where I realize I enjoyed the movie much MUCH more then then the novel it is based on. I simply do not like your style of writing, and I have been ridiculed by fanboys who will defend your honor to the grave. Your style comes off as unique, but I can feel the pretentiousness like a piece of meat stuck in between my teeth. You know full well
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

Fight Club is absolutely tragic in its reflection of the real world. I get angry when I read it and annoyed at a world that could cause such a situation. This may be fiction, but it’s full of truth.

The modern world is unfulfilling and depressing. People spend their lives working
Jen
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is satirical, cynical, Darkly intense. A mind f**k.

What person in their right mind goes to support groups for cancer patients in order to get perspective on their own life and cure their insomnia? That's what kind of story this is. This is how it begins. An Obsession with death.

Then the fight club is born. Blue collar to white collar. There are 6 rules in the fight club. First rule: you don't talk about the fight club. Second rule: you don't talk about the fight club. Third rule: two men p
Lou
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Photobucket
1st rule about Fight Club is read the novel first! Well thats my rule, i watched the movie, when it came out years ago (most the population) and only now discovered the real Fight club.
The narrator is a traveling automobile company employee who suffers from insomnia. On advice from his doctor attends support groups and pretends to be a victim. He gains some emotional release here and feels part of a people and becomes addicted to attending these support groups as an imposter. He's not the only
K
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, americana
I read this book as a self-absorbed 18-year old and never looked back. Brilliant modern critique of western consumerism and masculinity, told through the story of an underground club of men who beat the hell out of each other as a way of working through their disillusionments.

Each sentence of each chapter is quotable, things like :
'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.'
and
'We don't ha
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well, now I reckon y'all have seen the movie, so there's probably not a whole lot that you need to know about this book.

You know Tyler Durden.

He's the Id, the unchained spirit that wants what he wants and he wants it now. He's the voice in your head that tells you that everything is worthless, that chaos, death and the end of civilization would be better than anything our so-called "society" could ever create. He's the one standing over your left shoulder, whispering "Burn it all down. It'll be
Natalia Yaneva
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
Bulgarian review below/Ревюто на български е по-долу
Since I began marching in step with the people who (try to) earn their daily bread (and fruits and vegetables too), I take the subject of the forsaken rank-and-file employee in a crappy office to heart and it’s quite painful for me. Is there anyone who haven’t made the discovery that nothing makes you go off your wits as surely as a job that suffocates you? We all dwell in the miniature boxes of our lives and offices so we can successfully sq
Paquita Maria Sanchez
I finally did it. I stayed up late last night and I read the f****ing Fight Club. Normally, Chuck Palahniuk really pisses me off with his initially engaging and fantastically original stories which all too quickly turn into misguided ramblings about a bunch of asshole caricatures with preposterous lines like "we need to get you laid, brother" to signal the beginning of a plot twist (and the end of you thinking that particular novel is going to be any good). However, I must say that Fight Club wa ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I did not dislike this book because I did not understand this book. I disliked this book because I have fundamental ideological disagreements with this book.

I'm sure we all know this quote:
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying, organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

...I think this is just a really dumb way of looking at the world. The complaints about consumerism are one thing, even though they all sound like this SNL
Phrynne
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Well I never saw the movie because I have zero interest in watching people hit people. And I never thought I would read the book, but I needed to read this author for a challenge and decided to make it his most famous book. Justifiably famous because it was really good!

The writing is excellent and action packed. There are no spare words or wasted pages, just a very cleverly spun tale about some very mixed up people. Not having seen the movie I was also unprepared for the magnificent twist althou
Perry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Updated 9/11/17]---For several months, I've mused over a question on Fight Club, to-wit:
Did this 1996 novel presage, two decades on, the election of a populist POTUS who could stir the hornet's nest of white, middle class, male Gen X'ers--such as those in the Fight Club--out of their malaise to smack those they see as effete elitists and paternalistic bureaucrats?

If I had a background in political science or a lot of free time, I would dive into the fray.

Original Review

Generation X Gladia
F
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, seen-movie, usa
total mind fuck.
Rahul Matthew
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Never judge a book by its shitty cover, just finish and then judge it.

Will give an updated review of how being a Gemini(have split personalities), makes this book so relatable.

Gemini all have a split personality.People might say that then all of them should end up in a mental institution.It is very much part of our lives and the only way is to embrace it.So what are the crazy extremes that a Gemini can be:
Donald Trump(His evil twin controls him) and then we have Bob Dylan(Embracing the creativit
Kayla Dawn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I think it's more a 3,5*

I don't know what I expected but it sure wasn't what I got! (Yeah shame on me, I actually did not see the movie up until a day after finishing this book)

Tbh the big plot twist towards the end of the book wasn't that big of a twist to me. It was actually pretty obvious. But to be fair, I think back in the day when this was published, it probably was something new and shocking. Nowadays this is used so often as a plot that it just didn't surprise me anymore.

But besides th
Ana O
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

photo VzwSpOd_zpsciwyravd.gif

I can't write a detailed review, for obvious reasons. Why does everyone break the first rule of fight club??

photo tumblr_md84q3L6gO1qca6zso1_r1_500_zpsamhumbah.gif

photo giphy_zpsxahkurlq.gif

photo tumblr_inline_nseuzjYYTx1tzckzv_540_zpshsfhq8at.png
Michael Finocchiaro
The book that inspired the iconic Brad Pitt/Edward Norton film from 1999 is a wild ride every bit as gritty and crazy as the movie. I think the reveal comes a bit early in the book and that the movie actually did a better job of covering up the real identity of Tyler Durden. However, if you want to get down in all that liposuctioned fat and squirm around, this is the book for you. I thought the writing was OK, it did not inspire me to read any other Palahniuk books. Perhaps in the comments, folk ...more
Madeline
Pretty graphic, but very well-written. Also, thanks to this book, I now know how to make a bomb out of orange juice and window cleaner. I also know that men are completely insane.
Laz
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”

Can somebody slap me in the face? I've had this on my tbr list since I first set up a goodreads account and I read it now after almost 3 years. Why didn't anyone make me read this? It was freakish-ly amazing. I am at a loss for words..

I don't know how to talk about the book without giving away spoilers and breaking the first rule of Fight Club: "You do not talk about Fight Club.".. I can only say that the narrator is a trou
Karina
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I wanna start it all over right now.
Shovelmonkey1
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with chronic ikea nesting syndrome
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list and many black-eyed goodreaders
Hello Chuck,
It's me again.
Remember, I wrote to you about Choke? It wasn't long ago.
So I just read Fight Club.
Uh huh I know I was slow off the mark.
This book came out in 1997.
What have I been doing with my time?
Well this book came out when I was sixteen and at that time, I have to admit Chuck, I was mostly trying to disappear up my own ass by reading things like Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being and On the Road by Kerouac.
It's not easy to get angsty when you're...well... a bit
Sara
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore the way Palahniuk writes, it's like having someone back you into a corner and not knowing if they want to hit you or fuck you...the tension is immeasurable. His language speaks to the gut, the primal drives that undulate in all of us just beneath the surface of our civility. THIS is the authors magic, the ability to make us feel so much with stripped down and raw language. The words roll around in the head and make us THINK about our role in the modern consumer society: Who am I? What do ...more
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Kim Bailey
On sale (save 62%) -> http://amzn.to/1BiVwcq $2.99
1/17/2015

MORAL OF THE STORY -> GET SOME SLEEP!

THE RULES OF FIGHT CLUB:

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.
3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.
4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.
5th RULE: One fight at a time.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.
7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to
Melki
"I want you to do me a favor. I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

By now I'm sure you've either seen the movie or read the book. You know how having the crap beaten out of you can make you feel oh, so very, very alive.

You aren't alive anywhere like you're alive at fight club.

It's the exhilaration we're all looking for, that one shining better-than-sex moment that lifts us out of our humdrum lives. It makes life more bearable, more . . . okay.

After a night in fight club, everything in the r
نعیمه بخشی
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 1393
بذارید همین اول بهتون بگم؛ این کتاب شاهکاره
دقیقا چه توقعی از یه شاهکار دارید؟ توی این کتاب اون توقعات به طور کامل برطرف میشه و حتا یه چند مرحله هم ازش فراتر میره. اصلا میتونم بعد از این وقتی یه کتاب شاهکار خوندم به جای اینکه بگم این کتاب شاهکاره بگم این کتاب باشگاه مشتزنیه

من رسماً عاشق راوی این کتاب شدم. تایلر دردن؟ خب اونم برای خودش خیلی خوبه اما با راوی بیشتر همذات پنداری کردم. راوی برام قابل درک بود. راوی معمولی بود. یه معمولیِ جذاب
اگه بخوام بدون فاش شدن داستان نظرم رو بگم باید بگم که در عین
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Anna Karenina
  • Speak
  • White Oleander
  • Johnny Mnemonic: The Screenplay and the Story
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • Dermaphoria
  • Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors
  • City of Glass: The Graphic Novel
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.” 8937 likes
“I don't want to die without any scars.” 5638 likes