Start by marking “Queens (Wielders of Arantha, #2)” as Want to Read:
Queens (Wielders of Arantha, #2)

Queens

(Wielders of Arantha #2)

A cosmic game of chess is underway, and the planet Elystra is the board.

Earth pilot Maeve and her son Davin have joined the Ixtrayu, hoping to avert the destruction that their leader, Kelia, has foretold. But will Maeve's burgeoning Wielding powers be enough to thwart the machinations of Elzor and his lightning-wielding sister, Elzaria, before everything the Ixtrayu have e
Published September 22nd 2017 by Creativia

To ask other readers questions about Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queens

James
When you read the blurb about 'Queens' by Patrick Hodges, it tells you the book is a "cosmic game of chess" -- which is a perfect one-liner about the second book in this fantasy / sci-fi series, Wielders of Arantha, published by Creativia. Although this isn't my typical genre, I took a chance on the first book and enjoyed it so much, I took on the second this month. I didn't want to forget anything about the characters, plot, or imaginary world Hodges has created, so it was necessary!

The series
Eric Lahti
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That first book ended part way through the story, which was my only real complaint about it. Book II, Queens, picks up exactly where Book I ended and ups the stakes.

In addition to being a cracking good story to read, Hodges spends some time exploring the way our preconceived notions drive the way we do things. Most of Arantha cannot comprehend a woman that can wield the elements, while the women who walled themselves off from the world have difficulty imagining men who aren’t complete jerks. It’
Andy Peloquin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the Book 1 (Pawns) immensely, and I was hoping to get a repeat performance with Book 2. Patrick didn't disappoint!
The book started off a bit too slow, and I struggled through the first few pages. The names of some of the (non-main) characters are unmemorable, so I had a hard time remembering who they were. The book took its time to get to the action.
However, once the ball got rolling, I had a bloody hard time putting the book down. I quickly remembered why I enjoyed the first book so m
K.J. McPike
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This story just keeps getting better! Queens is an excellent follow up to Pawns, and I can honestly say, I feel even more invested in the characters than I did after book one—which is quite a feat, considering how much I already loved them. I'm still amazed that the author is able to keep the story captivating and flowing at such a great pace while switching POVs, but I could hardly step away from the story because I needed to know what was going to happen next. This book has plenty of acti ...more
Ellen Buikema
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in awe of Patrick Hodges' ability to transport the reader into an alien land with such ease. His world-building is amazing, I felt like I was right there among the people of the planet Elystra. I am completely invested in the characters and need to know what will happen to them next. I anxiously await the next book in the series.
Sharon Hendricks
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me want to read more of the story. Although I wasn't certain what I would think of this series, since it's so different from his other series, Pawns had me hooked and Queens kept me thirsting for more. If you're looking for something exciting with surprises around every turn this is the series to read!
A.J. Eversley
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this series. Every time I think I know what’s going to happen some twist is thrown in. The women in this series are all so unique and intriguing. The action in book two really ramped up! Can’t wait for Endgame!
Marni
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! It has been a while since I have indulged in a good Fantasy or Sci fi book. Wielders has gotten me hooked! Book one did a fantastic job of world building and setting the stage for a truly epic tale. The scope is far reaching, bringing such depth and weight to the plight of our heroes. Patrick does a skillful job of painting emotion and breathing life into every single character, from Maeve and Davin, a mother and son from Earth, seeking for a way to end the invasion that decimated the plane ...more
Tania Hagan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Hodges does it again! I'm not usually a sci-fi reader, but this author has converted me with his latest book, Queens.

In this second installment of Wielders of Arantha, we are once again thrown into the lives of Maeve and her young son, Davin.

I'm a great fan of Maeve, since she is a sort of representative of women my age. In my opinion, books of this type usually leave out or trivialize characters like Maeve, giving in to a male or youth-driven plot. In Queens, she is the hands down hero
Amalie Jahn
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Queens picks up right where Pawns left off, with Maeve and her son Davin working to find their place in the battle ahead for the planet of Elystra. Maeve has aligned with the Ixtrayu and the book is told through expertly interwoven POVs from both sides of the battle between good and evil and the rights to the stones which have the power to change everything.
Many of the things I loved about Pawns are evident again in this new installment of The Wielders of Arantha. The book is fast-paced and will
Michelle
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is so utterly different from any fantasy I've ever read and I love how it keeps surprising me. It's very female-centric which is a rarity in the genre. Many times, there'll be a few women to fulfill the woman quota, but they'll be surrounded by men. Not so here. There's a balance and an equality. The women aren't only these angry warriors as in many stories. They're (for the most part) level-headed and intelligent. And so are the men!

Anyways, it's safe to say that the character devel
Bethany
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
QUEENS picks up right where PAWNS left off . The message Maeve received from her husband in the first book shifts everything they've ever believed into a new direction in the second one. Also, Maeve and Kelia's relationship is developing as well as Maeve's powers as a wielder.

All of the main characters are present in this one and they all walk their own paths. There's Vaxi, Sen, and Mizar who visit the king. Then, Elzor and Elzaria who want to take over everything. Finally, Davin, Maeve, Nyla, a
T.L. McDonald
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just like the first book in this series, I was once again swept away in the story from the very first chapter. Mr. Hodges has a wonderful way of writing so that when you read, you can picture everything perfectly as if you were there yourself. And once you start reading, expect hours to fly by without even realizing it because it’s so easy to get wrapped up in the world he’s created.

In Queens, the story deepens, characters grow closer, alliances are forged, battles are fought, and visions fores
Lj Amodeo
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Yet again, Patrick Hodges captivated me in this high-paced and suspenseful sci-fi continuation of Pawns. Maeve is one tough chick. I love her character; totally kicks ass! Maeve will stop at nothing to keep her people safe from the forces trying to bring them to their knees. She will not cave, even though, Maeve and her son Devin come face to face with their enemies, Elzor and Elzaria. She and her son will fight through it, and begin to form alliances with the Ixtrayu. The ending blew ...more
Dawn
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Great installment, bring on the next!
So, Queens picks up where Pawns, Book 1, leaves off. I love that because you’re not left hanging and wondering what happened.

The message Maeve received in the first book really sets this book up and the author weaves his magic writing style to pull you in. I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster because everything they believed in was...yeah, you have to read to find out.

I love that the characters, and yes all the characters are back, grow, and you g
G.K. DeRosa
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Author Patrick Hodges managed to unravel more of the intricate interplanetary drama in Book 2 of The Wielders of Arantha. With new characters and deeper looks into the lives of the ones from the first book, we begin to understand more about the residents of Elystra and their connections with the survivors from Earth - Maeve and her son Davin. The plot is interesting and above all expertly interwoven with characters who seemingly have nothing to do with each other coming together at the end. The ...more
L.J.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic! Yet again, Patrick Hodges captivated me in this high-paced and suspenseful sci-fi continuation of Pawns. Maeve is one tough chick. I love her character; totally kicks ass! Maeve will stop at nothing to keep her people safe from the forces trying to bring them to their knees. She will not cave, even though, Maeve and her son Davin come face to face with their enemies, Elzor and Elzaria. She and her son will fight through it, and begin to form alliances with the Ixtrayu. The ending blew ...more
Tom Fallwell
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Queens, the second book in Patrick Hodge's awesome series is even more exciting than the first. He continues to weave a magnificent tale that kept me intrigued and turning pages. The action is great, and characters are well-developed. I found myself cheering for the Ixtrayu and booing the evil Elzor. Surprising, however, I found myself feeling compassion for Elzaria.

There is plenty of action, drama, and even romance in this book to please most any scifi or fantasy fan, and I was thrilled with t
Beth Teliho
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. You don't get smarter fantasy novels than this. Unique, compelling story line with (VERY) memorable characters. Outstanding sequel, which is a rarity. I was hugely impressed with Pawns (book 1) and hoped book 2 would be as intelligent and surprising - It Is All That And Some! I'm still reeling from the ending! I can't express enough how difficult it is to write such complex story lines and characters while keeping it from getting muddy or too long, Patrick Hodges is a true master of this sk ...more
Karen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-ten-author
Queens

This book is the bridge of an exciting trilogy. The storyline continues where Pawns left off and world building and character development build. Maeve and Davin are brought to the forefront of the battle against the dark twins, additional aspects of the "game" are revealed and the reality of battles for control of Elystra unfold. This is one of the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. I'm looking forward to the conclusion.
Iori
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME.

All the alternate point of views, the bread crumbs sown in the two books gathered into a huge plot. And we see that the game is bigger than we could expect and the result too. And we learn that sometimes the enemy is not necessarily the one you thought. Nice diversion, mister Hodges.
Bryan Nowak
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Science Fiction
Truth in advertising. I was a huge fan of the first Wielders book. It was a natural for me to read the next one in the series. As the book begins, we see where Maeve and Davin are left off at the end of the last book. Dav is anxious about his unconscious mother and she is in need of medical attention.

The magically gifted ‘Wielders’, as they are known, are connected to powerful stones which gives them powers of one kind or another. It is only after Maeve, an earthling, and her son Davin make thei
Gina Azzi
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Patrick Hodges is a master storyteller in Wielders of Arantha and Book Two – Queens – does not disappoint! Successfully weaving together various storylines from the POVs of many different characters, Hodges captures each voice distinctly and uniquely.

Queens delves deeper into the lives of Maeve and her son Davin as they integrate among the Ixtrayu people. While a battle between good and evil emerges on Elystra, the reader is pulled into the lives of the characters, the alliances they form, and
L.J. Higgins
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Pawns, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on book two of The Wielders of Arantha and Queens sucked me right back in to this amazing fantasy world.
Where in Pawns we followed the paths of many characters, learning who they were and what their role was in this epic story, in Queens you’re left on the edge of your seat waiting for the moment those characters’ lives finally intertwine.
Maeve and her son Davin are finding their place in the all women Ixtrayu tribe, while Kelia is trying to
C.A. Wilke
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong sequel!

Hodges’ Wielded a of Arantha Book 2: Queens is a strong follow-up to Pawns. There's a lot of great tension and as we learn more about the interplanetary chess game that Kelia and Maeve are sucked into. Queens is definitely better than Pawns, and that's saying something. Definitely a great read and I'm totally looking forward to Book 3.
Elijah Shoemaker
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story continues in this second chapter of the series. Patrick Hodges still won't let the reader off the edge of their seat. The plot definitely thickens as the book progresses. The hardest part is telling anything without telling too much. This is a must read for anyone who likes Pawns, as well as any can of sci-fi and fantasy. An automatic classic!
james murphy
Sep 28, 2018
Julie Ivashkov
rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2019
Patrick Hodges
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sandy
I DRM Free
Aug 01, 2018
Randy Harmelink
Sep 02, 2018
I guess I am the classic "late bloomer." I had to sit in the front row of the class picture every year in elementary school; I didn't reach my present, permanent height until the year I got my driver's license. It took me a long time to "grow up" mentally, too; I was probably the least goal-oriented person you could ever meet.

I always enjoyed reading books, though I was convinced that I was not, a

Wielders of Arantha (2 books)
  • Pawns (Wielders of Arantha, #1)