Start by marking “#Hockeystrong” as Want to Read:
#Hockeystrong

#Hockeystrong

If you fail at Pee-Wee Hockey, you fail at life. Right?

Charlie and Kate Miller are involved, supportive parents who have always loved to watch their little athlete play. Until now.

When their son Brett makes a competitive U12 ice hockey team, they have no idea how fully it will engulf their lives. It quickly becomes apparent, however, that to the dad-coach and parents aroun
Published September 1st 2017 by Elysian Fields Press

To ask other readers questions about #Hockeystrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about #Hockeystrong

Erika Robuck
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dear Reader,

I never expected to venture into social commentary, but as a hockey mom (and all around sports mom) for almost a decade, sometimes inspiration is...unavoidable. Therefore, I'm delighted to share with you my new contemporary satire: #HOCKEYSTRONG.

Thousands of hours on the sidelines have given me special insight into the strange world of youth sports parenting, which is every bit as competitive as the games being played. If your child has participated in any kind of team sport at any l
Heather Webb
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually read Robuck's historical novels with relish--she's a tremendous talent--but frankly, I'd follow her anywhere and I'm so glad I did. In #Hockeystrong, Robuck proves she can jump genres convincingly and skillfully. This fast-paced satire had me chuckling all the way through it. I want to believe the sport-parents behaviors are exaggerated in places, but as a former athletic coach myself, I can say most of these are dead-on. (I wonder what the hardcore types think their children will do w ...more
Nancy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
My family was never into sports. We were given tickets to see several hockey games at Michigan State but that is my sum experience with the sport. But I can appreciate a good social commentary.

This book dissects the crazy things parents will do when their kids enjoy a sport, making a game into a fetish and giving up all control to the machinations of an obsessed coach. I’d have laughed at the extreme things they do...except I was so appalled. Over the top, hilarious, and disturbing—the novel le
Diane
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read a news article that said that the night before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest nights of the year for reading. I guess everybody traveling by plane and train leaves lots of time for a good book. (Just please don't read and drive- I can't believe that people actually do that.)

If you're looking for a good, quick read for the night before Thanksgiving, I have a great suggestion.

E. Robuck has written a very funny and pointed satire #HockeyStrong that will appeal to anyone who has spen
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
I love Erika Robuck's writing and her clear, engaging style from her historical novels carried over to this modern satire on sports parents. I especially connected with this story as I read it during NHL play-offs (Let's Go Caps) and my husband played youth hockey in the Mid-Atlantic, as described in this book. #Hockeystrong was equal parts funny and appalling with laugh-out-loud moments and outrageous parent behavior.
Kathy Smitheman
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome portrayal of what i have seen of ‘hockey parents’. A MUST read for anyone with kids playing hockey, as a ‘watch out for’. Truly enjoyed it.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book upon recommendation of another hockey mom. I’m so glad I chose to read it as it was funny and very relatable! The hockey community is one big family, but also sometimes a little crazy. This book told the story in a way that kept you wanting to read more and see what happened next.

If you’re looking for an entertaining and fun story, give it a read!
Devon Mish
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious! I am a mom of several sports-age children, so I thought it would be fun to read about the insanity from another perspective. #HockeyStrong did not disappoint! Although my kids haven't played hockey, I've seen similar outrageous behavior as part of Pee Wee football (which I couldn't believe at the time, but sadly, it now seems normal to me). Although based on this book, hockey sounds much worse - I won't be encouraging my sons into that sport...

Beyond the hockey antics, I
Julie Julie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I don't have kids in organised sports, nor did I ever play, this book was such a page turner. I quickly connected to the characters and though this was a quick and easy read, I felt they were extremely well developed. The use a social media is really, really funny and had me laughing out loud numerous times! I want to know what happens next with everyone, but particularly Piper and Justin!
Gracie2762
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I was so sad to finish this book. While I love her historical fiction, I hope she will write more like these as well.
Domenica McGrath
Robuck nails every emotion one could possibly feel when navigating through the roller coaster of youth sports. As a mother of two kids involved in youth sports , I found this book to be relatable, infuriating and comical yet completely endearing because no matter how nerve wracking youth sports have become - we all find ourselves coming back for more. There is no character we all haven’t been or known ourselves, no scenario too outlandish no matter what sport your child plays. Worth a read even ...more
Janice
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I live the ice hockey life with my 2 girls and there's a cast of characters in ever rink just like the characters in the book!
Lisa Smith
Jul 30, 2018
Fiona
Aug 22, 2018
Sinead
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2018
Sinead
Aug 10, 2018
Kim Zdanowski roman
Jun 21, 2018
Erika Robuck is the national bestselling author of Hemingway’s Girl, Call Me Zelda, Fallen Beauty, The House of Hawthorne, and Receive Me Falling. She is also a contributor to the anthology Grand Central: Postwar Stories of Love and Reunion, and to the Writer’s Digest essay collection Author in Progress. #Hockeystrong, as E. Robuck, is her first satire.

In 2014, Robuck was named Annapolis’ Author