Start by marking “Do This For Me: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Do This For Me: A Novel

Do This For Me: A Novel

From the acclaimed author of I Take You: a high-powered attorney and mother of two delves into the mysteries of sex, the perils of desire, and why men and women treat each other the way they do

Published May 15th 2018 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Do This For Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do This For Me

Start your review of Do This For Me: A Novel
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This was my first introduction to Eliza Kennedy's writing and I must say: I definitely enjoyed it.

If I was to summarize both the story and the writing for this novel in one word, that word would be "real". This story was a realistic (terrifyingly so) story. I have said this before with novels that have a similar plotline but unfortunately, this story is someone's reality. Actually, even more unfortunate, this is many people's reality. But, I digress. To put it simply, this was a realistic story
Janet
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher -

Raney Moore is a successful litigator with a perfectly scripted life. Perfect, that is, until an unexpected phone call detonates a bomb inside her marriage. When Raney learns that her beloved husband, Aaron, has slept with another woman, she methodically, hilariously burns his life down. Once the flames subside, and they decide to give togetherness another shot, Raney finds hersel
Marialyce
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
3 out of my comfort zone stars

This was a book that I would honestly probably passed on but there was something quite alluring about our main protagonist and her relationships with her husband, her many encounters with other men, her career of being a high powered attorney and the need to be always perfect and highly successful.

Randy Moore is successful at everything she does. She is driven, she has the perfect life, a beautiful home, children who attend private school and lots of money. Her hus
Lex
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
found this book very enjoyable. It's by the author of I Take You, which didn't get the greatest rating but I personally found fun, humourous, and also very enjoyable. Do This For Me is similar in the ways that both books have strong main characters, they're enjoyable to read and I found myself rooting for Raney to discover who she is other than an attorney and a mother...

Full Review: https://www.likeliterallyliterary.com...

*A copy of this book was provided to me by Penguin Random House Canada in
Peebee
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be the very best book of its type I’ve ever read. I never wanted it to end. It was deep and it was shallow. It was poignant and hilarious. There was wackiness and sobering moments, and they all just seemed to work. Given how the plot unfolded, it’s probably not advisable to say how much I related to Raney, but starting with her profession, there was a lot that spoke to me about what she went through and how she processed and responded to what happened to her.

I said after Eliza Kennedy
Lisa Aiello
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
I received a copy of this through NetGalley for my honest review.

An engaging read. The story of a professionally driven and very skilled lawyer, who finds out her husband has cheated on her. She has nothing but resources at hand, and methodically goes about destroying her husband and his reputation. It's a knee jerk reaction - she does it pretty much without thinking, bringing in the people she works with into her plan. She and her husband go on to try to make things work, but it turns out he wa
Heather Hess
This was an absolute roller coaster of emotions. I was drained and exhausted from feeling so much while reading this. Unfortunately, my overall emotion was annoyance at the main character. I absolutely hated her! In fact, I didn't like any of the characters in this book.
The writing was good, the story line was well written, I just wish I could have connected more with at least one of the people in the story.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Can I give a 5 star rating for PART of a book?!? I was ALL-IN from page one of this book. The beginning was so fast, so awesome, with such manic intensity - I was like, this chick is BAD ASS! I TORE through the first quarter of this book. And then... meh. I guess we needed a bit of a breather because the first quarter of this book is one serious wild ride. It got back to it's intense awesomeness almost mid-way through, but then I felt it just got sappy and fizzled.

I need a book about JUST the R
Amy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It will be released in May 2018.
I have conflicting thoughts on the book. As someone that's been dealing with personal issues recently, it was a hard subject to deal with. In a lot of ways - she had some reactions that seemed normal to me, but in most other ways - it was just so over the top.
I did NOT like the main character as a person. She stepped over so many lines with taking advantage of people she worked with. Her disconnect and wanting research on h
Karen LeBlanc
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author captures marital malaise and its fallout through the eyes of a modern-day woman who on the surface “has it all” reminding us that no one really does—something always suffers and its human nature to want more, to want something different when often what we really need lies within us.

Raney attended Harvard Law School and credibly writes about the social, political and logistical machinations of a law firm and pithy character dialog. Do This For Me is her second novel and a great read—
Stephanie Doyle
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some books arrive in your life at the exact right moment. I loved how outrageously this woman lost and found herself.

Thanks to Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Fluff Smut & Murder
So good - I loved Raney.... I wish I could be like her..
Erin
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this whip-smart, sassy, over-the-top book!
Ilyssa Wesche
Exactly what it says on the tin. Good writing, flawed character develops into someone I could possibly like, interesting if somewhat ridiculous plot. Good ending.
Mel
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly ridiculous & over the top in several places.... it still got a few good laughs out of me, especially in the end 😆
Lawyer Rainey Moore just heard from her husband’s mistress’ husband about their respective spouses’ affair and Rainey immediately melts down out to sabotage her husband’s life and professional reputation. The rest of the book is his trying to reconcile and her pushing him away to try to find herself and her sexuality.
Brian
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Raney is a cutthroat lawyer who has a loving husband and two twin girls. One day, she discovers that her husband is having an affair. This is simply not acceptable and Raney flips out and plots revenge on her husband in a fast and ruthless manner. The book is chick lit with the typical tropes of a spicy main character, a few love interests as well as a somewhat predictable plot. The main character was extremely unlikable and at times she bordered on both psychotic and intolerable. As the book we ...more
Ari Zapata
It was just OK for me.. It started strong but slowly trickled to silliness.
Stephanie
rounded up to 2.5 stars
Elaine
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-girl
Personally, I hate stories about adultering spouses and/or partners because its one of the oldest literary devices in the world.

But I am always up for a story about a high powered litigator named Raney Moore who discovers her famous entomologist husband has been rocking the casbah with his producer.

That's what happens in Do This For Me.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

When Raney receives a call from the cuckolded husband, she loses her mind for a brief moment, for good reason.

She destroys her h
Patti
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the Atlanta airport on my way back from a lovely reader retreat at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, Vermont....google it. It's called Booktopia and it's MAGNIFICENT:-) Anyways, I'd had most of my books shipped back to save luggage space, then panicked when I realized I might finish Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb and be left without a novel for the duration of my layover- GASP!

I wanted a quintessential lighthearted plane read- and this was a quick, fu
Marcee Feddersen
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sometimes you just read a book at the right time. And for me this was the right time to read, Do This For Me. I had read Eliza Kennedy's previous novel, I Take You, and remembered enjoying it, so I picked this one up without really reading the description.

Raney is a busy, high achieving lawyer with twin teenaged daughters that she dotes on and a successful husband that she loves. Her life is very orderly and she is content. Until a phone call from a strang
Kristi Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
Read all my reviews at: https://brainfartsandbooks.wordpress.com

I have to admit, I really kind of liked the revenge factor in the first part of this book. Ok, let’s start from the beginning. Raney Moore is a top notch attorney who kills it in her daily life. She and her husband Aaron have twin school-aged daughters. But with an unexpected phone call, Raney’s life is turned upside down. Is her husband cheating on her? Yes, he admits to it. I had to feel for Raney at this point because I know how
Sarah Wagner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.*

In many ways this book tells a familiar tale, Raney Moore has it all - a successful career and perfect family life - until she learns one day that her husband cheated on her, which becomes the beginning of a journey towards self-discovery. Still, the author manages to make the story feel fresh and incorporates plenty of very current issues, such as Raney's attempts to address the sexism at her law firm. Overall, the book is fast-paced
Haley
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and I went into the book knowing nothing about the plot or author.

The plot is fine: Successful law partner Rainey finds out her dorky-but-famous husband Aaron cheated on her, and she goes scorched earth on him. The rest of the book deals with the ramifications of the affair and her desire to figure out more about herself and why she reacted to the affair the way she did.

But the writing was pretty uneven at parts, and I just couldn’t find a character
Nancy
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book however I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Clementine
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2018
This entire thing was preposterous and its heroine was The Worst but damn if I didn’t enjoy the ride.
Momma Bear
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good until all the sex part. Then the story just got messy.
Caitlin Rice
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book kept me interested but I didn't like the ending.
Barb
I really enjoyed Eliza Kennedy's previous novel 'I Take You'. I chose the audio book version of 'Do This For Me' and enjoyed it, up to a point. I enjoyed how the main character went a little crazy in her vindictiveness of dismantling her husband's life after she discovered he was unfaithful. But as soon as the author brought their daughters back into the story it changed for me. I couldn't enjoy the retaliation any more, all I could think about was the impact it had on the daughters and it ruine ...more
Amy Ingalls
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I loved this book. As another reviewer wrote, it was deep and shallow. It dealt with serious issues but was funny. I didn't always agree with the choices that Raney made, but I could understand her and I was rooting for her all along.

I won an ARC of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway, and somehow it got buried in the back of the shelf. I am so glad that I came across it-- this was the perfect way to spend one of my days off.

• Tell Me Lies
  • Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
  • Limelight
  • The Dinner List
  • When Life Gives You Lululemons (The Devil Wears Prada, #3)
  • The High Season
  • Very Nice
  • Breathe In, Cash Out
  • How to Walk Away
  • The Ever After
  • The Queen of Hearts
  • When Katie Met Cassidy
  • More Than Words
ELIZA KENNEDY attended the University of Iowa and Harvard Law School, where she was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. After graduation she served as a law clerk for a federal judge, then practiced litigation for several years at a prestigious Manhattan law firm. She lives in New York with her husband and son.

News & Interviews