Start by marking “The Cutting Room Floor” as Want to Read:
The Cutting Room Floor

The Cutting Room Floor

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  284 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Behind-the-scenes secrets could turn deadly for Desmond and Riley...

Life in the Heights has never been easy for seventeen-year-old Riley Frost, but when she's publicly dumped and outed at the same time, she becomes an immediate social outcast at her high school. So Riley swears off romance and throws herself into solving the shocking murder of her favorite teacher, Ms. Dun
Anniversary edition
Published October 3rd 2017 (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cutting Room Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cutting Room Floor

Faye, la Patata

If this book could be summed up in one sentence, it would be this: it's all over the place. I swear, it is. What could have been an interesting and intriguing novel turned out to be a mess of many dilemmas and problems, and throughout reading it, I wasn't 100% sure what kind of book it was supposed to be. Mystery? Romance? Psychological? About finding and accepting your sexuality? A bit of this and a bit of that? Truthfully, I don't mind reading a book about various themes, but it just bothered
Melodie
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC courtesy of NetGalley. The blurb - and double POV - intrigued me bc it features a very different kind of triangle, and one person whose obsession becomes toxic.

There are two protags - Riley and Desmond - who've been friends for a long time. Riley thinks she's gay and Desmond is sure he's not. He's in love with Riley and will do anything to make her feel the same way. Including sabotaging her relationships. Riley comes across as a pretty boiler-plate MC (except for her attract
Karen
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reveiwed
I would like to thank Flux and Netgalley for the chance to read this book for my honest review

This book was great. I loved the writing style of this book how the scenes were written by a film director. I think it gave you a better feeling for the surrounding. I also liked the characters. Riley finds herself confused and unsure of what she wants, that is what you should feel when your seventeen. I could feel her pain and understand where she was coming from. Desmond (Dez), welllll ok I liked him
Bobbie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! I read it in a couple days because I could not put this book down. The writing was brilliant, with just enough suspense and intrigue to keep you guessing and wanting more. There's a couple different story lines happening which made for an interesting read and the author does a fantastic job of tying it all together.

Riley and Desmond are lifelong friends but she's dealing with her own confusing love life while he has his sights set on manipulating her right into his arms.
Lanniereads
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool movie theme, creepy story, flawed but sympathetic characters make this one a fun, scary, and unique thriller.
Sara
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The debut YA novel from my critique partner Dawn Klehr - a compelling and satisfying story of secrets and manipulation. Well done!
Elle♣
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

RTC
Kathy Martin
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was a combination of thriller and romance taking place in a high school outside the Twin Cities. It is told in the first person by two narrators. Desmond Brandt wants to be a film director and sees everything as though it were a movie. Riley Frost is an actress who is going through some issues with her sexuality. She has just had a very public break-up with her girlfriend which has made her a pariah in her high school. She is also still reeling from the death of her favorite teacher w ...more
KM
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book by a debut author that kept me guessing until the last pages!

The change these characters went through felt so authentic. I connected with Riley and Dez through the transformation they experienced, and I thought the author did a great job tying it all together.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of The Cutting Room Floor from Flux via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Full review to come soon.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Dixiehanspark
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could not put the book down. So many turn of events that keeps you on your toes when reading. Love how the author incorporates today's life issues with teens and all kinds of results. (Not cheesy or predictable!).
Kate
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Seriously effed up book, but in a good way. ;) Then ending was not a happily ever after, but isn't that real life?
Naoms
Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

I love movies. I have wanted to write & direct movies since I was five years old. When other kids were talking about being doctors, teachers and fireman I wanted to be Cecil B Demille and Alfred Hitchcock. So, when I read about a character like Dez, I am always pulled in. Someone who thinks in terms of plot points and speaks in terms of dialogue, AMAZING. Unfortunately, Dez is without a doubt one of the scariest characters I have ever had the experience
Sophie Percival
I really enjoyed the ending but it was a long sluggish ride to get there!

Loved the ending! The big reveal and how the whole story between the characters was amazing. However, I did struggle to keep going in some places as I thought it was a little bit predictable. Great twist though!
Briana
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, eh, new-adult, 2-star
This was eh. Like the plot was ok. It could have been SO much better to be honest.

The ending was not what I was expecting. And that’s not a good thing. There’s nothing to add to the “big reveal.” I thought it was weak and not really written well at the end.

There was so much build up with the two main characters, but by the end of the book they disappointed me. And it wasn’t them but rather the plot and writing it self!

It was a boring read, but it could have been so much better.

2.5 star rating
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog Lilybloombooks

Ya know, when I requested this book I could have sworn it was a murder mystery. That's not to say that it isn't a murder mystery, because it is (kinda) but there is more to it than that. I have this small nagging thought that the blurb was changed; since I actually got this book months ago. I doubt it though.  I couldn't tell what was up and what was down and what the heck was going on. It was a jumbled mess.

So, plot one/two. We have Ri
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Blog Tour
Reviewer: Me

The Cutting Room Floor is absolutely insane. I’m still not sure if this novel is good or bad, however I couldn’t put the book down and found myself glued to the pages until I devoured every last sentence. From the very beginning when we are introduced to the CRAZY Dez, I became hooked on his words and his twisted love affair with his best friend Riley. Told from alternating point-of-view’
Stephanie Ward
'The Cutting Room Floor' is a gripping young adult mystery/thriller that tells the story of two main characters - Riley Frost and Desmond "Dez" Brandt - as they both embark on journeys that could ruin their lives. Riley's life has been turned upside down at school after being dumped and publicly outed, so she turns to the mystery behind the murder of her teacher, Ms. Dunn, to keep herself busy. Riley turns to Dez, her best friend, for help when things start to get serious. What Riley doesn't kno ...more
AdriAnne
Read the full review and enter a giveaway for a signed copy of THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR here: http://www.adriannestrickland.com/201...

First off, alternating points-of-view give the reader a separate looks at two very unique characters: Riley and Desmond (Dez). Riley is an aspiring actress in high school questioning her sexuality. It’s so rare to come across bi/lesbian characters in YA books, especially when their struggles to define themselves are so authentically painful and engaging. Riley’s sit
Brittany
Reviewed for Book Soulmates

“If I knew then what I know now, I never would’ve sent that text. I wouldn’t have done a lot of things. Yeah, if my life were a movie, I’d go back and edit out all the bad stuff. Leave it all on the cutting room floor.

But I can’t. And now I will have to pay.

Big time.”
~Dez, p. 7 of The Cutting Room Floor

Dez and Riley grew up as next door neighbors in the Heights, and they’ve always been close friends. But Dez secretly loves Riley. In fact, it’s more like an obsession
Michael Albro
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was excellent and extremely well written. I loved the movie theme throughout and writing some of the scenes like a script was really cool. It tied in nicely with the “Dez directing Riley’s life” thing.

There are two different stories in Cutting Room Floor: the murder of Ms. Dunn and Dez’s manipulation of Riley’s life. Of the two, the plot between Dez and Riley is by far my favorite. The idea of interfering in a person’s life to such an extent of course does not sit well with m
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
I am not a huge fan of contemporary books so I was not expecting much from The Cutting Room Floor. I was expecting a weird murder mystery, but that wasn’t entirely what I got. There was some aspect of a murder mystery, but it was mostly about a deranged teenage boy’s obsession with the ultimate unattainable girl.

Dez has been in love with Riley for as long as he can remember. Unfortunately for him, Riley doesn’t prefer boys romantically. Of course, this isn’t a problem for Dez because he is so
Elissa Hoole
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book--the many layers, the multi-faceted characters, the suspense, and the film references throughout give the book depth and complexity that I find super interesting. Plus Dez. He's just so fascinating, and I love the psychology of his need to be the director.
Liz
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy wow! I really loved this book! What a page turner. More soon.
Janine
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Bookbub for alerting me to a free copy of this book.

The YA story of Riley, who has been outed for her first so-called gay encounter. She falls hard for Emma. But Emma seemingly is afraid to be known as gay. So somehow when their relationship gets outed and Emma heads for the hills. Riley is left to pick up the pieces of her heart. Plus, she is now a social outcast in her school that looks down on homosexuality thanks to the mayor and his teenage daughter.

So Riley turns to her next doo
Katie Hurse
I think the main issue with this for me was the ending - it seemed to just try absolving Des of everything that he had done?! Like, let's be real here, he's a total creep, and although there were clear attempts to make him seem charming & sympathetic, they didn't work for me AT ALL. Whilst I realise they were supposed to be problematic, his attitudes towards Riley's sexuality literally made my blood BOIL.
Riley herself was interesting to me - I wish we could've had a story more focused on her
Dr. Garcia
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book and it would be good to use in the classroom. I liked how it used film as a structure. I like the multiple perspectives and the mystery. But my favorite thing is the gender study. It deals with the issue of how guys feel entitled to get the girls they want. How guys justify trying to control girls. But, it does it in a way that doesn’t demonize boys. It could be a great way to approach the idea of toxic masculinity, without automatically putting guys on the defensive.
Kathleen Bacon
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and Young Adults
Recommended to Kathleen Bacon by: Book Bub
Interesting read, storyline and characters. There are some good takeaways about living truthfully that we all need from time-to-time. I gave it 3 stars only because the book needs major editing as it is poorly edited. Of particular note the Devlins were referred to the Delvins in some sentences as well as typos and missing words.

This said, I would read this author’s other books as I believe she is a good writer, just needs a better editor.
Tara Maginnis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful romantic thriller

I could not put this book down. I ended up reading it in one evening. It's great. The characters are very well developed, even the ones you hate. The one hard thing about reading this novel is Dez. He's a creep. He's in love with his best friend, and makes some really creepy, poor decisions. It's hard to be in the head of someone like that. Riley on the other hand is extremely easy to root for. I definitely would recommend this book.
Jbussen
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Glad it was free.
There are two main characters and they alternate chapters telling this story. That's cool. Novelty. I liked the book and am happy I read it, but I won't be buying another in the series or re-reading this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always
  • No Angel
  • Deceived
  • Dead Dreams (Dead Dreams, #1)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • Shallow Pond
  • This is W.A.R.
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • The Pentrals (The Pentrals, #1)
  • Cherry Money Baby
  • Season of the Witch
  • The Waking Dreamer (The Waking Dreamer, #1)
  • Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
  • Stained
  • Dead Girls Don't Lie
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • Find Me (Find Me, #1)
  • Shelter Me
Dawn Klehr began her career in TV and though she’s been on both sides of the camera, she prefers to lurk behind the lens. Mostly, she loves to get lost in stories –in film, the theater, or on the page – and is a sucker for both the sinister and the sappy. She’s currently channeling her dark side as she works on her next book.

Dawn lives in the Twin Cities with her funny husband, adorable son, and n
More about Dawn Klehr

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“If my life were a movie ... the title sequence would start out like a typical high school story, but then reveal that something's amiss. There'd be a tight shot, or piece of dialogue, or something that would make the viewer uncomfortable. Something to give them that prickly feeling.
-Dez”
2 likes
“One wrong move, one bad rumor, one mistake, and it's social death row. I'm the latest to be sentenced. Move out of the way, everyone. Dead girl walking.
-Riley”