Start by marking “The Half Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Half Wolf

The Half Wolf

Mate, family, pack, home… can Quinn and Kellan have it all?

Quinn grew up feeling out of place in the small town he calls home. Yearning for something he can’t name, he’s always felt different but never known why.

Kellan is part of a nomadic shifter pack. When they set up camp in the woods near Quinn’s town, the humans are unwelcoming and suspicious of the newcomers. The mom
Published September 26th 2017 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about The Half Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Half Wolf

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I really enjoyed this book:

Mates

MINE

Biting

Sexual and self discovery

Friendship

Family

Quinn has always been fascinated by shifters, so when he hears a shifter pack has moved to the outskirts of the small English town where he lives, he can't stay away. The first time Quinn sees Kellan, his heart goes wild.

And Kellan can smell Quinn, his not-quite-human scent.

Quinn and Kellan feel an immediate, intense attraction, but outside forces threaten to tear them apart.

Quinn realizes there's a reason h
Wendy
3-5-star-rating-black-hi.png (600×113)

I am a big sucker for everything shifters, mates, biting and mine ;)

So when I found out Jay Nothcote was releasing a shifter story I was on it like white on rice ;)

tenor.gif (220×151)

In this world, humans know all about shifters. That's not to say they get along though, because they don't. So when Kellan's pack moves into the woods close to town, the humans are on guard....well except for Quinn that is.

After Quinn's parents died, he was raised by his aunt, who taught him that shifters were not to be feared or hate
Tanu Gill
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was just meh. The plot was pretty basic, the characters not that entertaining, and the writing was so-so. After having such amazing works in M/M shifterverse, this one lacked in many aspects. It almost felt like I was reading a story from the birth phase of M/M shifterverse, where the authors didn’t let their imagination run wild and wrote tentative, cautious stories.
☆ Todd
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

When I heard that Jay was writing a shifter story, his first, I knew that I'd have to give it a go and I wasn't disappointed, as this plot took us into a world where the existence of shifters was known and they were fairly-easily identifiable.

I absolutely loved both Quinn and Kellan, both of whom felt a bit trapped between the lives they'd been given and the community at large. Quinn because he was outed as being gay and Kellan because he's a shifter in a world not overly fond of his kind.

They
Jewel
3.5 Stars

The Half Wolf is a fantastic first effort for the shifter genre! Though there was a little too much detail, at first, about mundane things, like the dog jumping up on the bed and putting groceries away and Tash getting ready for her date (and the massive amounts of TMI from her), I soon settled into the story of Quinn's self discovery that he is far more than he ever thought.

In the universe that Jay Northcote has created, shifters and humans are well aware of each other and have a rathe
Jay Northcote
Sep 12, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Coming soon from me.
I just accidentally rated it two stars by mistake. Oops! I hope it's better than that for most of you.

I had fun dabbling in the paranormal for a change. This story is a probably-not-very-subtle metaphor. Those of you who know me will hopefully see why if you read it :)
Virginia Books
3.5 meaningful stars

Beautiful in its simplicity and metaphorically significant , this story takes place in a world where shifters are non-fiction, and be different is, as usual, a challenge.

Jay Northcote tells us the story of Quinn and Kellan, a story of a presumably forbidden love between a wolf and his mate. A story of friendship, family and love. A story about changes. About acceptance.

Kellan comes to Quinn's town with his pack and when they arrive, some dead animals are found and the locals
Susan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, shifters
While this started out really strong, somewhere along the way I lost interest and I ended up liking this, but not loving it.

In this world shifters are no longer hidden, but not accepted in society either. When a pack of shifters take up residence in the woods nearby the little town Quinn lives in, he has to see for himself, so he sneaks out to take a peek. Of course the shifters know he is there..

Quinn is 20 years old and lived in the small town his whole life. It is when he meets Kellan, one of
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Overall, a win for Northcote’s first foray into the paranormal!

Where this story shines is the relationship between Kellan and Quinn. From the moment they meet, the feels and inexplicable pull towards each other were heady and sweet. As it should be, right?

Again, in my old age, it was hard for me to really be engaged when the prejudice and bigotry took center stage, putting a small damper on my enjoyment. However, this is of course, well written, with plenty of smexy shifter goodness an
Cadiva
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Jay said he was thinking of writing a shifter story I was enthusiastically cheering him on and this book is proof positive that he can turn his hand to the paranormal side of MM romance as well as he does young and new adult.

It's inherently British too, set in the Welsh valleys where it's entirely too easy to believe there really are shifters living among the tiny little farming communities.

It also very much shines a light on another typically British tradition - that of travelling people w
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
DNF @ 26%

Calling it quits on this one for now. It wasn't really grabbing my attention so I picked up a few other books.

It's still not really calling to me so maybe I will try again another time.

I am usually a Jay Northcote fan so it's likely me and not the book.
Dani
Jay releasing a shifter book? Yes, yes, yes, please!

Mate, bond, bite, mine, pack. All my favorite words when paranormal is concerned and let me tell you that Jay nailed it with this new installment because The Half Wolf was really entertaining, fast-paced and easy to read.

Well, I was very surprised when I saw that Jay was going to publish a shifter story. He popped my m/m romance cherry with the Housemates series, so I knew he wouldn’t disappoint me. Let’s get real, Jay is an amazing writer.

J
Meags
3.5 Stars

Quinn has always been a bit of an outsider in his home town in Wales. Orphaned at birth, Quinn was raised by his aunt Ruth. He spends his days working at his aunt’s newsagency and his nights hanging with his bestie, Tash; they love him and he loves them, but he craves something more than this small town life has to offer. It also doesn’t help that Quinn has always felt uneasy in his own skin, like something isn’t quite right, but answers have never been forthcoming. On top of all of thi
.Lili.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

The half Wolf was quite the tasty morsel. I'm a big fan Jay Northcote's books. They're sweet, sexy, and low angst and I knew he'd do a fantastic job at writing a shifter story.

Some of my highlights:

-Mates. I'm such a sucker for my mates in PNR. There's something so sweet and romantic about it and add in possessiveness, and I turn into goo.

-I enjoyed the world he created. I was wondering how JN would set up where they lived and I think he did a great job. It felt like today's times, but it was
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2 Stars***

I had really high hopes for this book. A shifter romance (my favorite) with true mates (my ultimate favorite)...hello...sign me up!

Unfortunately, this book could be summed up in two words. Predictable and Cheesy.

I know this is Jay Northcote's first dip into PNR, and sadly that was glaringly obvious. The world-building felt underdeveloped and painfully lazy. The word "magic" turns up a lot to explain things away or to amp up the paranormal aspect. The "magic" made shifter eyes glow
Lelyana
While I read this book, I kept questioning about 'why didn't Jay Northcote didn't write shifter book before?'. Because damn, you can write shifter real good, man!
And I'm loving everything you wrote, especially the chemistry between Kellan and Quinn since the first time they met.
It's a wolf thing, of course, I was searching for cheesy, but I didn't find it. It's just sweet and adorable, with some twist. I really enjoyed the fast pace, and the 'problem' thing in this book, without being too scary
Sheri
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, pnr
I love Jay Northcote.
I love this cover.
I liked this book.

I try hard not to be a shifter snob, I really do. But sometimes I just can't help myself.
If the shifter aspect is fairly basic then I need a strong character connection. And I just didn't have that with these two young men.
Quinn, assumed human, was orphaned at birth and has been raised by his Aunt. He helps her run a small shop in a small town.
Kellan is the son of the nomade shifter pack's Alpha passing through Quinn's town. A history o
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
What a great shifter story. The story itself was unique and it flowed really well. It was sweet with some drama, but Jay didn't really beat around the bush and over articulate things.

Quinn, having never met his parents, was raised by his mother's sister, Aunt Ruth.
In a time when shifter and human alliance were very, very rocky, his aunt had to make some choices for them.

Quinn never really questioned about his parents and their history, he seemed to have just settled into day to day life with
Ami

Well, it's young love... Quinn and Kellan are cute together, that's for sure. There is a nice 'mystery' regarding Quinn's heritage that I figured out Quinn's heritage way before he did. There is also a friction between humans and werewolves to add the conflict to balance out the romance, which I thought was a decent addition.

Honestly, those who enjoy shifter stories with bonds, mating, and the whole me-mine-GROWL thing will probably love it. Me? I am LONGING for old-fashioned courting a
Ky
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Half Wolf is a story about self-discovery, about learning your true self, about being who you are. It's about family and about love. But most of all it's about accepting the differences that exist between us all.

It's Jay Northcote's first dance with shifters and it was a good one. He built a world that wasn't so different from our own. There were shifters and there was magic but other than that everything was just the same. Because of that it was easy to get in the story. I like it when ther
Garrett Leigh
No rating as I am an impartial proofer, but I loved this book. Designing the cover was a privilege too. If you love sexy wolves, this is the book for you.
Rachel Emily
I'm a huge fan of this author, and when I heard that Jay was going to giving a try at the paranormal genre - well, let's say that I was super eager to read this! And I loved it!

I love Jay's writing, it has an ease to it and just a wonderful flow between the characters, the story, and romance. I know I'm going to get great characters with solid chemistry, a bit of angst and drama as they work their way towards their HEA, and then a HEA!

This is set in a world where humans know about shifters, but
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
I am the worst buddy read partner in the history of buddy read partners 😭

This book started out pretty good. I thought the two MCs were cute together. This was definitely instalove, but I can deal with that in shifter books. I got a bit bored in the middle, but that could just be that my mind was elsewhere. I felt like the resolution was a bit too tidy and rushed for my liking. That really made the ending unbelievable.

I would definitely read another paranormal book by Jay Northcote should he wr
Chris, the Dalek King
Quinn and Kellan live in an alternate history where shifters and humans live side by side in (not-quite peaceful) peace. Quinn, a human, has spent almost his entire life in his small Welsh town. His aunt–who has raised him since the death of his parents–has taught him that shifters are not inherently bad, but when a shifter pack moves into an open field near town, it is clear that not everyone in the town is of the same opinion. That doesn’t stop Quinn from falling head-over-heals for Kellan.

Kel
Emily Seelye
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, m-m, shifters
This is Jays first foray into paranormal romance, and I hope it's not the last.

In this world, humans know about shifters, but they don't get along. 20 years ago, there was a shifter-human war and since then, humans have been distrustful of wolves and try to stay away from them.

When Kellan and his pack settle in the woods outside of town, most of the townsfolk are suspicious. Quinn is immediately drawn to the other man, and has been interested in shifters his whole life. Kellan feels the pull a
Diverse
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2017
I read a lot of shifter stories. I love them! It’s utterly fascinating to me. It’s hard, however, to find truly unique ones these days. The Half Wolf by Jay Northcote was in fact unique. I loved pretty much everything about this book. The symbolism of our segregation in our own world, is glaringly parallel to the world the author wrote here.

Quinn has lived in a small town his whole life. He runs the shop with his Aunt Ruth, he’s almost like the “token gay” person around town. On top of that he
Chelsea
4 hearts!!

Well If you like Jay Northcote’s other works, you’ll love this. This has everything I’ve come to love about his work, sweet love story, solid characters, no unnecessary conflict and some very sexy times.

I read this book in one sitting and really enjoyed so much about it. Quinn is a human who lives in a world where shifters are known and there is a tentative peace amongst humans and shifters, but still a large amount of prejudices and fear are present. When a shifter pack moves close to
Mimi
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 solid howls

Jay Northcote has graced us with yet another great skill. Writing MM shifter paranormal can be tricky for first timers but he did very well for himself. My only opinion was Omega's are usually the care givers of the pack but Northcote made him the aggressor in the story and that was something new for me.
Pianka *call me PIU*
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 'WOLFY' STARS
Carra
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It seems that Jay Northcote is just as fantastic at writing paranormal/shifter romance as he is contemporary. The Half Wolf may be his attempt at dabbling in the genre, but he’s done a more than outstanding job at giving readers an entertaining, exciting and incredibly HOT story.

Kellan and Quinn are attracted to each other from the start, and the chemistry between them is powerful. That made for some truly intense scenes between them, especially as they start to spend more and more time with ea
Amanda
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a lovely little read about young love with a paranormal twist. The romance was pretty straight forward with some insta-love thrown in, there are some challenges that the characters have to navigate, but being a short read, things were settled neatly in a short time.

Quinn seems to be a only gay man in their small town. His life is pretty mundane with working for his aunt's shop and visiting his only best friend, Tash. That is until a pack of shifters came to camp at their town a
Morgan  Skye
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, reviewed, paranormal
It’s great when authors extend their comfort zones into new territory and (I think) this is one of those cases. Jay is a great writer and who always delivers a solid story with a lot of chemistry and feels. In this case, we get that and some rather interesting social commentary on how anyone “different” is made to feel less-than and whether it’s on purpose or not – prejudiced against.

In this world, shifters are known to humans, and are treated poorly by most. (Which is crazy when you consider ho
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on shifters

I enjoyed The Half Wolf quite a bit. I know Jay had mentioned on Twitter it was a bit different than what he usually writes, but the voice and style were still his, even though the material was more paranormal than contemporary.

In this book, shifters are known entities, and typically nomadic. They travel in packs, interacting and working on the fringes of human settlements. Kellan's pack sets up camp near Quinn's village (I would say town, but it seems rather tiny in
Bitchie
2.5 stars.

I usually like this author, and looked forward to seeing what they did with shifters, but it just missed the mark for me. Nothing new was brought to the shifter table, and there were some silly little things, plot wise, that bugged me. For instance, one of the MCs is 20, lives with his aunt, has to call and ask permission to eat dinner at his friend's house(not just let her know he won't be home, he actually asked if it was ok), and has taken meds for epilepsy his whole life, in spite
Joyfully Jay
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I enjoy Jay Northcote’s writing so I was was excited to see his foray into the paranormal shifter genre with The Half Wolf. This is an entertaining story with some unique elements and two likable main characters.

Here we are in a world where humans and shifters co-exist, but not always peacefully. With a history of conflict between humans and shifters, most humans don’t want shifters around and so Kellen’s pack must move from place to place, never finding anywhere
*~*~*Hyperion & Interabang*~*~*
This was just okay for me (and to be honest, I'm being generous)! This book read like it was set in the dark ages ... I mean, holy drama and bigotry; everyone irritated me here! I did enjoy Quinn and Kellan, but unfortunately, they didn't exist in a vacuum and I had to tolerate everything else in this book before I could finally finish with it! Nope, this didn't work as well for me as it so obviously did for so many others :-/!!

*******
Borrowed from Kindle Unlimited ... if I like it, I'll purchas
Lisa
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Jay's book, so was excited to see that he was venturing in shifter stories - my favourite read - so it had a lot to live up to!

Quinn works in his Aunt's small Welsh Rural village shop. Kellan is part of a shifter pack who have recently taken up residency near the local quarry. There is a good amount of prejudice against the shifters, but Quinn feels drawn towards them. Even though its against Pack Law, Kellan pursues a relationship with Quinn and they quickly fall for each other. T
Steph ☀️
First I have to say thank the stars above that this book was surprisingly refreshing. I don't know about anyone else but I've been stuck in this rut when it comes to paranormal romance; specifically about shifters.

It just seems like every book in this genre lately seems cut from the same mold. Hence my frustration. Even with the lack of world building, history/background and character building on the shifter side, it still held my interest and I kept reading.

The interactions between Kellen and
Aeren
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Muy flojo la verdad, con este autor o me gustan mucho o me parecen una pérdida de tiempo, cómo ha sido el caso. Me ha parecido un planteamiento bastante básico y en definitiva, no he empatizado para nada con los protagonistas por lo que me he aburrido como una mona, no puedo decir que lo recomendaría, aunque no está mal escrito. Para los muy fans de los lobitos.
Viki Evans
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fab

4.5 stars for a great easy read that kept me entertained from start to finish. Which made it hard to put down. Going in my favourites file xx
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Half Wolf by Jay Northcote was what I'd needed. I hadn't read a good shifter book in a while. Quinn, a lonely local young man meets a member of a newly arrived pack Kellen and they hit it off. Shifters are know to the world but are still trying to find their footing. The humans are foolish as expected. The pacing is solid and Northcote's smooth writing was a pleasure to read. Style flowed on the pages with ease. Was this a perfect shifter story? No, but it was an enjoyable one.
Jadey ☆
This story was simply divine and I couldn't speak higher of it. Not only do I love Jay Northcote's novels, as he never disappoints, but I love stories with a well-written, sensual m/m couple where I can really feel their chemistry, and I also really love a well told wolf/shifter fantasy! The combination of these 3 things created pure magic for me!

This a rivetting, well crafted read with rich, vivid & genuine characters, the wolf/shifter storyline was written naturally and not overly fantasti
♡❀✦☞ Sammy ☜✦❀♡
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4 Stars!

I loved Quinn and Kellan! Very cute read. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 Stars is because I think there could have been a little more detail sometimes but other than that I very much enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves shifter books!!
Lauren
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another hot, sweet romance from Jay Northcote, but this time we have shifters! I was certainly intrigued when I heard that Jay had written a shifter romance, and I've always enjoyed a good shifter novel so was pleased to get my hands on an ARC of The Half Wolf.

I found it to be a very nice and sweet tale, and despite the conflict in the story the drama and angst was pretty low and that made for a pretty pleasant and quick read. The romance happened very quickly, but that is explained as
Melissa
I have been keeping my eye on this story for a while now and I do love me some shifter romance. When I decided to buy it (using an Amazon credit), I knew I had to read it right away, otherwise it was going to collect dust, lol. And I am so glad I jumped right in. This was a very nice story with characters I liked and wanted to see happy. Quinn and Kellan have an instant connection, and for Kellan - since his is a shifter - knows that his feelings towards Quinn aren't simply lust but something a ...more
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c
“He growled, a harsh tearing rumble of fury and fear combined. “What is it?” Matt asked. “Oh fuck, of course you can’t answer me. Jesus, it’s like a paranormal Lassie” 1 likes
“He was waiting at the counter with a pile of junk food, which was the best the shop could offer: a plastic-wrapped pasty” 0 likes