Start by marking “A Literary Tea Party: Blends and Treats for Alice, Bilbo, Dorothy, Jo, and Book Lovers Everywhere” as Want to Read:

A Literary-Inspired Cookbook for Voracious Readers at Teatime

Tea and books: the perfect pairing. There's nothing quite like sitting down to a good book on a lovely afternoon with a steaming cup of tea beside you, as you fall down the rabbit hole into the imaginative worlds of Alice in Wonderland, The Hobbit, and Sherlock Holmes . . .

Fire up your literary fancies and nibbl
Published June 5th 2018 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about A Literary Tea Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Literary Tea Party

Start your review of A Literary Tea Party: Blends and Treats for Alice, Bilbo, Dorothy, Jo, and Book Lovers Everywhere
j e w e l s
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking for a book just like this! My book club mates (babes!) always try to match the menu to the book when it is our turn to host. This can get a bit sketchy sometimes, but usually we can come up with a snack or full-on dinner when needed. Example: Nigerian pounded yam and fried plantains when we read AMERICANAH was a no-brainer, but a lot of books don't lend themselves well to food-interpreting (ALL THE UGLY AND WONDERFUL THINGS). It's still fun to try.

Should you be reading a classi
Manybooks
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Although I have certainly found the general concept of Alison Walsh’s A Literary Tea Party: Blends and Treats for Alice, Bilbo, Dorothy, Jo, and Book Lovers Everywhere appealing and also rather nicely literature based (with ample direct quotes from the novels on which the author’s recipes are based), as to the actual tea party recipes themselves, truth be told, but I have personally not at all been impressed. For while many of them do appear visually tempting as to the end products (and that I d ...more
Janet
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher-
Fire up your literary fancies and nibble your way through delicate sweets and savories with A Literary Tea Party, which brings food from classic books to life with a teatime twist. Featuring fifty-five perfectly portioned recipes for an afternoon getaway, including custom homemade tea blends and beverages, you will have everything you need to plan an elaborate tea party. Coo
Alisha
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was able to get an early look at this thanks to NetGalley. It's a fun cookbook with sweets and savories from many favorite childhood and/or classic books. Even though I'm not familiar with all of the books mentioned, the recipes stand on their own and many of them sound (and look) quite tempting.
For example, the "apple of life bites," which consist of apple disks, bacon, creme de brie, and pecans...yumm!! Or the sweet potato bacon pastries inspired by Little Women. Or the poetical egg salad sa
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
2.5 stars. Just ok. Really liked the idea but the recipes were so so. I don’t like recipes that rely on store bought ready made items I prefer to make it from scratch. I was also very confused about the tea area. I thought she was going to have tea blends we could make ourselves. But it looked like you needed to buy About 20 different teas and use those as the basis of the mixes. Chestnut tea? Strawberry tea? Cream tea? Not at the local piggly wiggly I can tell you. I was expecting something lik ...more
Lara Maynard
This is a cute book, the type of thing that would make a nice gift book for a reader. Maybe give the book with a copy of one of the classic books mentioned and the ingredients to make one of the associated recipes!

I made the London Fog Latte inspired by Sherlock Holmes and really enjoyed it, so I've made it several times since, adjusting things a bit to my own taste. (I brew the tea a bit longer and add a bit less honey. Also a safety note: the hot liquid in the bender is gives off quite a bit o
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, cookbook
This lovely collection of literary-inspired recipes for savories, breads, and desserts is inspired by familiar children’s and high school classics. Enjoy a hearty Deeper’n Ever Turnip’n Tater’n Beetroot Pie (served to the moles in Redwall), Savory Apple Rose Tartlets (a rose was The Phantom of the Opera's calling card), or Miss Marple’s “Pocket Full of Rye” Tea Sandwiches. Feast on Blood Orange Scones (for “The Five Orange Pips” in Sherlock Holmes’s fifth case) or Beorn’s Honey Nut Banana Bread ...more
Jessica
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I requested this book from NetGalley because it contains two things I love: books and cooking/baking. The ARC copy also has a really pretty illustration for the cover page, much more so than the final book cover in my opinion.

(Re)Creating recipes from fictions is not a new idea. In this book, the author tries to set herself apart from existing books and online blogs of the similar nature by focusing on tea time finger food, snacks, and drinks. She also offers theme party ideas based on her reci
Beth
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
For literary lovers, fun foodies and creative party planners, this book is a cool must-have. The recipes are all for tea-time-appropriate snacks (savory and sweet), custom tea blends, and fun non-alcoholic drinks based on beloved books. Be Alice, having "bread and butterflies" and drinking tea with the Mad Hatter; step through the wardrobe and have a bite of Turkish Delight; or cook up a hearty afternoon snack fit for Hobbits and Dwarves alike.

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the au
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
*February 2019 -For Super Bowl, I pulled out the tried and true mini cherry cakes! Still a favorite!*

This book was an interesting and engaging marriage of food in literature. Each recipe begins with a brief quote that somewhat correlates to the story they came from. The recipes range from a nice selection of flavored teas, cider, and hot chocolates to savory pies and bite size cakes and muffins. The most challenging-at least for me-was the candy making...does goop count?!

I tried a few of the si
Marina
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cometh the hour, cometh the cookbook. I was delighted to open this book and almost immediately find a new idea for my Easter party next week. (Cracked China Devilled Eggs – so colourful and pretty.)

This is a book of literary-inspired tea-time recipes. Some recipes are directly related to foods eaten in the stories; others are just inspired by them ( eg Star Crossed Focaccia for Romeo and Juliet ).

I recently read a cookbook with a similar premise to this: The Little Library Cookbook by Kate You
Critterbee❇
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f, net-g, cookbook
Taking inspiration from the literary worlds of Pooh Bear, the Phantom of the Opera, Sherlock Holmes, Alice's Adventure in Wonderland and more, A Literary Tea Party is a whimsical collection of savoury and sweet recipes for themed tea parties.

Think 'Star-Crossed Focaccia' inspired by Romeo and Juliet, 'Candied Flower Cookies' from the Secret Garden, and 'Arctic Trail Coffee Muffins' from White Fang.

The treats included have difficulty levels that range from easy to moderate; there are some candy
Katherine
Lovely idea for a cookbook and the pictures are beautifully done. The author is also clearly a book lover and selected some of the best loved books of all time, so points for that.

However, the linkage from the books to the recipes are often times a stretch, and the recipes themselves are mostly far too simplistic to warrant a cookbook by themselves. For example, one of the recipes is literally frozen pound cake, cherry preserves, and devonshire cream. That's it. She doesn't tell you how to make
Angel Pickard
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely book! The concept and execution are flawless. The premise is that the recipes remind you of literary favorites and it has achieved success in doing so. The guide for a book themed tea party is so fun and well done. I also really enjoyed the "make your own tea" section that allows you to brew a tea to go with a selection. The book is well organized into categories making ease in planning your tea or luncheon. The book ultimately had me thinking about other of my favorite works a ...more
Daphnee (daphneereads)
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a must-have cookbook for all readers! The recipes are inspired of Alice in Wonderland, Narnia, Shakespeare and more! It even comes with tea pairings and homemade tea blends, how cool is that? I definitely look forward for the finished copy.
Thank you NetGalley, the autor and publisher for the ebook copy.
Muriel
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun recipes inspired by literature, like Alice in Wonderland and Little Women. There are recipes for everything from sandwiches to tarts. There are even tea blends to make. This would be a good book of tea time recipes inspired by a book lover.

Note: I was allowed an advance copy of this book to review. In no way did that affect my opinions.
Robin Bonne
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scrumptious looking photos of food paired with clever recipe names, book quotes, and tea pairings make for one of the best cookbooks I have had the pleasure of reading. Now I want to throw a tea party!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of the ebook.
Lori Quick
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just a fun cookbook to read. I loved going through all the recipes. If I ever wanted to have a themed tea party, this is my go to book. I think it is awesome and highly recommend it.
Rebecca Hemphill
Excellent.
Charming book.
Nicole
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbook
Super cute idea. Unfortunately nearly all of the recipes (except the tea blends) are off limits in this house due to allergy restrictions.
Andrea Wahle
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever yearned to eat what the characters in your current book are eating?  Or gotten hungry from the descriptions of food in books?  I always wanted to try Maple Syrup snow candy like Laura Ingalls made in Little House in the Big Woods.  Or have Raspberry Cordial with Anne Shirley.  Or something simple like Bread and Jam with Frances the badger.  A Literary Tea Party by Alison Walsh includes recipes for sweet and savory teatime treats and the tea blends to accompany them.

Like many grea
Katie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, cookbooks
The premise and style of this book is incredibly charming. The idea of making food and tea recipes based off of various well-known books is one that's really appealing to me as a bookworm, and the aesthetic design of this book (the pictures especially) is quite whimsical and cute.

The things I liked:
As I said, the style and concept were very well conceptualized and executed, and the pictures look scrumptious. I thought that perhaps more recipes would be direct recreations of dishes mentioned in b
Laurie Garrison
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A Literary Tea Party gives you all you need to host a large or small tea party, but not only that these recipes are also great for everyday baking and cooking right to your own table. Recipes are simple and easy to follow. Oh, and as a tea lover, this book gives you a lot of tea flavors that you’ll love again and again. I was totally surprised how well this book was written.

Put it to you this way, as a book reviewer off of Netgalley we don’t get to keep the book, so I am staying a lot here when
Rebecca Reviews
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Literary Tea Party by Alison Walsh is a wonderful literary cookbook filled with fun and easy-to-follow recipes inspired by all your favorite books.

I love reading about what characters are eating and drinking and I’ve always fantasized about how I’d recreate their meals. Thanks to this unique book, I can fulfil my literary foodie fantasies! The book features recipes which are inspired by classic and much-loved literary works like Little Women, The Hobbit and Winnie-the-Pooh.

The recipes range fr
Ilana
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The tea party scene in Alice in Wonderland is one of the most inspiring literary descriptions of a food-related habit. The cuppa shared around the table is part of a cultural taste habit which where aromatic infusions are a pretext for conversations and sharing.

The literary world has plenty of episodes where the food is elegantly inserted into the stories, more or less delivered with a recipe at the end. Actually, in my experience, this 'habit' of sharing recipes in a literary work is rather a
Elley Murray
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love that you can go through the book by category (Savories, Bread & Muffings, Sweets, Tea Blends, and Tea Alternatives) as well as suggestions for themed tea party groupings (Alice's Mad Tea Party, Aslan's Feast, An Autumnal Tea Party...)

I do wish there had been a few more recipes for each literary source so you could have (for example) a Winnie the Pooh themed party., As it stands, the only books that have themed parties in the themed party idea section are Alice in Wonderland and The Chroni
Andreia Nuno
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing, deliciously sweet book that will brighten the tea time of every book lover.

A Literary Tea Party brings the foods of classic books to light and gives you enough recipes to spice up any bookish time. You’re taken on a trip from stories and fairytales through dishes and desserts: Turkish Delight and Hot chocolate from the Narnia Chronicles, Gingerbread from Little Women, Drink Me Tea and Painted Rose Cupcakes from Alice in Wonderland, Delicious Death chocolate cake from Agatha Christie’
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Full review on theflashlightreader.com

A few months ago, my mom and I went to a traditional English Tea at a local Bed and Breakfast. Neither of us had attended a tea before, but we decided it would be a great way to kick off the holiday season and do something different. Sometimes life demands a distraction from the mundane every day routine. What better way to slow down and refresh yourself than with delicious food and flavorful teas?

The experience was very pleasant. In fact, we enjoyed it so
Colona Public Library
This is a great book for a person planning a tea party or just a person who wants to eat like their beloved literary character. The recipes in this book was well thought out and in my opinion included a lot of fan favorites. Some of my personal favorites included in this book were: Raspberry Cordial (Anne of Green Gables), Queen of Hearts' painted Rose Cupcakes (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland), Lemon Turkish Delight ( The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe), and Beorn's Honey Nut Banana Bread ( ...more
Sam (RiverMooseReads)
I really loved this cookbook. I love nerdy/literary recipes, and this book had a wide mix of of foods, sweet to savory, and a wide range of classic books. I also loved the pictures of each food - they were beautiful, and the instructions were all clear and easy to follow. I really loved how each food was paired with a tea or drink, and each had its own recipe as well, which was really creative and cute. The themed party ideas and baking tips were well done as well. The tips for less common ingre ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Choice ...: A Literary Tea Party - November 19 1 43 Oct 31, 2019 01:04PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change Cover 5 31 Apr 13, 2018 09:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change Book Cover 1 14 Mar 07, 2018 01:35PM

• The Wizard's Cookbook: Magical Recipes Inspired by Harry Potter, Merlin, The Wizard of Oz, and More
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Family Man
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • 150 Easy Classic Chicken Recipes
  • Sweet Revenge: Passive-Aggressive Desserts for Your Exes & Enemies
  • The Little Women Cookbook: Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters and Their Friends and Family
  • Tasty Latest and Greatest: Everything You Want to Cook Right Now
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory--More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike
  • Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook
  • The Wizard's Dessert Cookbook: Magical Recipes Inspired by Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Fantastic Beasts, The Chronicles of Narnia, and More
  • The Astrology of You and Me
  • The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart: A Cookbook
  • Beach House Baking: An Endless Summer of Delicious Desserts
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Mary Poppins in the Kitchen: A Cookery Book with a Story (Mary Poppins, #8)
  • One Souffle at a Time: A Memoir of Food and France
  • The Little Library Cookbook
Alison Walsh first began cooking as a way to stretch her post-college paycheck, and her love of cooking grew. In 2014, she combined her love of food and books into Alison's Wonderland Recipes (WonderlandRecipes.com), a food blog dedicated to book-inspired recipes. She guest writes for Real Life at Homeand her recipes have been featured on MuggleNet, the number one Harry Potter fan website.

Articles featuring this book

This holiday season, why not give the gift of The Chronicles of Narnia's Turkish delight, a cozy dinner with the March siste...