Start by marking “This Dark Town I: When You're Gone” as Want to Read:
This Dark Town I: When You're Gone

This Dark Town I: When You're Gone

(This Dark Town #1)

The first book from 'This Dark Town' mystery thriller trilogy.

Eighteen-year-old Lydia Stone wakes up one morning in the north London gothic mansion she shares with her family, to find that her twin sister Kate has disappeared off the face of the earth.

CCTV footage shows Kate entering a night club in south London on the night she went missing, but there is no evidence t
Published September 10th 2017

Tracy Fleming-Swehla
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I've read a lot of books that are a part of a series. Never have I read any book in a series that didn't include the entire story in the excerpt. This book is a sham. The entire story is not included in the book. There's no resolution to anything. The story is garbage anyway. One of the worst books I've ever read, and getting all the way to the end only to read that the story continues in the next book is ridiculous.
Nicola
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a gripping fast paced book and one that I really enjoyed. However left on a cliffhanger, I’m now off for book 2
Sabrina Grace
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This plodding police procedural features a teenage model who goes missing after a night at a fetish club. Her parents and identical twin sister are devasted and the police, though motivated, are flummoxed. There is a subplot about human trafficking. It ends in a cliff hanger with no resolution which just underscores how completely annoying this book is. Hard to engage with any of the characters with the possible exception of the twin and her little dog. at least the lead detective does not have ...more
Julie Goldsmith
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a complete book at all

Typically one of those freebies that just stops in the middle so to read the end you will have to pay for the rest ( lord knows how many or how much that will be) I truly hate this con of giving it away free but only giving half of the story. Be honest from the beginning and tell people its incomplete and they will have to buy the rest. 2 stars because of the CON
Ioana
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy reading for a winter afternoon

Can't wait to see how it ends.
It is a bit odd to read a book in the present tense, but I'm getting accustomed to it.
I can't say I have a favorite character so far, they all seem to lack depth, for my taste. But as I said previously, it goes well for a light winter afternoon.
Maddy Tyler
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keeps you guessing

Usually good at working out the plot but this book kept me guessing all the way through and eagerly awaiting the next instalment
Pat
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast Paced

I literally read this novel in two sittings! A storyline that grabs you from the very first page. Kate Stone is missing, her identical twin Lydia is looking for clues at the club Kate was last seen entering. The police have no clues. The action and questions heat up as Lydia's ex becomes a suspect. Really great read, cant wait to read the next chapter.
Lorraine King
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a good read !

I enjoyed the twists and turns in this story - if anything , I would have liked there to have been more dialogue from the characters . Great storyline tho - bravo !!
さくら 桜
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant page turner.

There was nothing I disliked about this book except when it was over. Looking forward to reading the next two parts.
Carolyn Trim
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A Good Story Written Like a Book Report

This is a Brirish crime mystery. It started out stilted and I expected it to improve. The author's planned plot line, characters appear to be thought out with lots and I do mean lots of red herrings or such. The main isdue is the story is written like a major book report. Each section stops,a new one starts with no transition. Block writing, like lots of cut and past after writing several story lines....I think the intent was to create intrigue but it cr
Christie
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an easy, appealing read. It’s not terribly unique among psychological thrillers, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

I occasionally thought the tense was off, but that could just be me. Perhaps I just prefer a past tense.

The only thing I really didn’t like was the ending. Don’t get me wrong... I’m all about a sequel, and I love reading series. That said, I believe any book should be able to stand on its own. Maybe you need another book for background or for the next
Vivian
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
What a cheap ending! A weak shot at getting you to buy the next book. No thanks. It could have been good. The twist was coming around until they stopped solid. The description of the S&M club was a bit over the top for me.

Kate is missing. She lives a high profile as a model at eighteen, but her family can’t imagine her wanting to run away nor why anyone would want to take her. Her twin sister, Lydia, will do anything to get her back. While investigating her sister’s room she comes across ph
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Susanne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: detectives, 2019, british
This book is a mess and why it was ever published in this state is beyond me. It feels like a first very rough draft, there are tons of grammar and syntax errors, the characters are one-dimensional and the whole plot is completely unrealistic.
The whole fetish/s&m theme is only there for shock value and it is painfully obvious that the writer knows nothing about this subject.
Add to this that after suffering through the clunky, immature writing, there's no proper ending, but only "
Jen Ashton Motz
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the dialogue in this book- I can't really put my finger on it, but it felt kind of perfunctory, like a screenplay more than a novel. They all said the right things but the way it read just didn't come together for me. And then you get a real cliff hanger that the end that pushes you to buy the next book to see what happens- I really don't like that. I thought about it and decided that I didn't care enough what happens to order the next book.
Claire Bailey
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
A rambling mess of words that fail to deliver or even make believe that the author knows their genre.

Since when do us Brits have social security numbers? How come a suspect is allowed to be interrogated without being read their rights or offered legal representation? And when have you ever read that a tech team can do a sweep on a mobile and laptop in a matter of hours without receiving a warrant?
Sara Pickering
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well, I'm not sure where to start.

I thought the initial premise sounded interesting - I like a dark mystery/thriller. But this is simply dreadful - the characters have no depth whatsoever, the dialogue doesn't ring true and the scenes in the fetish club seem to be an attempt to shock. They don't. This is more of a screenplay than a book given the lack of motivation and characterisation. I only cared about the dog.

Needless to say I won't be looking for parts 2 and 3.
Cheryl I Fry
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Only part of a book

Confusing story introducing tons of mysterious bits and pieces that you wonder about only to discover the book ends with nothing resolved, explained or any idea of what is going on. Hate when authors try to force purchase of subsequent books not because you want to know more but because u are left having read nothing but a jumble of facts.
Elizabeth Mallov
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the premise and thought it had a lot of potential, but the lack of formatting was distracting to me. I had the ebook version and some pages it was all one paragraph and other pages had odd spacing. Also there wasn’t a complete story. I love cliffhangers usually but this one had no resolution whatsoever. Not curious enough to start book 2.
Miss ja Shaw
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Omg I'm writing a review on book 1 instead of starting book 2, that's how good this book is and I wanted to tell anyone umming and ahhhhing stop doing that right now and download book 1 in the series. You will NOT regret it! Fantastic storyline, characters and has kept me up until the early hours not wanting to put it down. Now I'm off to start on book 2 💁🙋
Barbara
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel totally duped! I read this book and got really into the story, only to come to the "end" and find out that I needed to buy Part II of this "series." I thought when I saw this was a trilogy, that sure there were three books, but that each would standalone with a complete story. Not a very good way to treat your readers.
Dr. G Waldron
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Clunky

I wish I knew when I started this that it was only the first part of a story and would end on a cliffhanger. So it's not complete in itself. The story is gripping but the writing is very clunky. Clearly a first effort that was badly in need of a good editor. Will I follow up on the story? Don't think so!
Dee Cash
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
When You're Gone?

This is a fairly well written book until you get to the important part, the end. I normally try to stay away from books set in the UK but this one was much easier to follow until you come upon the words "The End" just out of the blue. Who writes a book and ends it just as you think it might be getting interesting.
Andy Angel
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This started out ok. An identical twin goes missing and it's a race against time for the police and her sister to find a clue and get her back.

The police angle worked, the family in trauma/grief worked really well but the whole thing didn't quite sit right as a whole. And then the medium was thrown into the mix and it all started to get a bit silly.

When I got to 97% and realised there would be no resolution then, I'll be honest, I felt cheated. This was (thankfully) an am
Erika Sobin
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a 4-star book with a 1-star ending. I love trilogies that have an ending to one mystery and leave you wondering about something else that can continue on into the next in the series. This one just ended without giving any answers - forcing you to read the next one to (maybe?) find out what happened...or will that end up being in the 3rd book?
Michele Strople
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Leaves you hanging

This is as well written story that held my interest till the end...then stopped. It would be more stars if it didn't leave you hanging just as it all comes together
Deborah Bobo
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Teaser

The plot is interesting, but be prepared to purchase the sequel since this one leaves you hanging. I think books should stand alone. If I want to read a sequel, it is because I enjoyed the book-not because the story does not end.
Joanna
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this 5 stars but it left me hanging so I had to buy the next book in the series. I really love when I can find a good crime thriller that is clean as far as language goes. This book had me hooked from the beginning and couldn’t put it down!
Morgan Clarke
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was told about this book by a friend who rarely reads and figured I’d give it a go, as I was struggling to find something to read.
Good plot twists where you think you know what’s happened just for it to be wrong.

It’s an easy read, but gripping all the same. I really enjoyed it
Teresa
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is “chapter 1” of a 3 chapter book.

If you want to read it all, you have to get all 3 because nothing concludes in book one or two.

First one is free, the other two are $5.20 each n kindle and kobo.
« previous 1 3 next »

This Dark Town (4 books)
  • This Dark Town II: The House in the Woods: (Book 2 of 3 in the 'This Dark Town' crime thriller series)
  • This Dark Town III: Us and Them
  • This Dark Town (3 Book Series)
“Kate is extremely popular and well-liked, a successful model with a wide circle of friends and a large extended family. At first, police assume it will be a classic runaway situation and the teenager will be home as soon as she gets lonely, bored or runs out of money, but new information just received means” 0 likes