Start by marking “American Z” as Want to Read:

American Z

What if everything we were made to believe about Zombies and the American way of life was all just one big cover-up?

Set in the present, American Z is centered around a deeply rooted and disturbing evolution of the Zombie in America, and the scientific T.S.O.M.B.I.E. [zom - bie] program. A powerful group of elitists, known as The Society, has been secretly controlling gov
Published September 17th 2017 by J.G. Fletcher

To ask other readers questions about American Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Z

Start your review of American Z
Angela
Dec 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
It feels mean to give a debut novel 1 star, but... yikes. This book needs a good editor STAT. The tense changes from present to past from sentence to sentence and the dialogue is stilted.. Here's a sample sentence: "It gave her more information to have conversation with herself about." Also, the characters use each other's names an uncomfortable amount. This was the first self-published book I've read, so maybe this just comes with the territory?
Joanne
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical zombie book. It's a story of rich and powerful people deciding to control the minds of people--for their own good. How altruistic of them. The story is made more real by actual conspiracy theories going around today.

The book focused mostly on the people trying to stop the conspiracy. There is a good backstory and a lot of family drama. There are also faithful friends who stand by each other in their fight.

As I said, the story is good--and very disturbing--but the book is
The Mustache Louie Matos
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, read-2019
American Z is supposed to be a Zombie novel, but no. Even though it alludes to containing zombies right there in the title, J. G. Fletcher’s debut novel is more societal commentary on humans as drone consumers of media, than flesh-eating zombie narrative. Fletcher may be striving to allegorically communicate sophisticated themes; however, the most essential aspect of a novel is missing – story, dammit, story! Nothing happens! After 100 and some odd pages of exposition of what the characters are ...more
Aviar Savijon
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
American Z

You like zombie stories? Well this is not the normal fair of zombie tales, it is one of the top ten best books I have read this year. Would you believe what your Vietnam veteran father tells you when he says companies backed by the govt is the reason for zombification of the masses are taking place and he needed your help to end it all? This is what imaginatively happens in this amazing story written by JG Fletcher.
Chrystal Roe
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it!

This is such an unusual story. The characters are really interesting and the story line is quite unique. It isn't your normal zombie apocolypse tale for sure I can't wait to read the next one.
At least I read
Pretty good for a debut novel. I think some areas needed more explanation and or time spent exploring were other areas where over interpreted. Overall it kept me interested and wanting more information.
Cherye Elliott
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
American Z

I actually enjoyed the book. My first thought was zombies eating people but no, it was more of a government/selected privileged controlling lower functioning humans (those who do not contribute to society).

Looking forward to Book #2.
Maria Betancourt
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story

It’s a quick read,
But I did not like the ending
Like the story plot
But would recommend to anyone
Melissa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

WondeRFUL READ READ THIS book! Story was intriguing and we'll paced keeps you hanging on till the end. Loved it
Michelle
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

Loved this book! Creative and interesting. I'm looking forward to future books in this series or by Fletcher. Thanks for writing it!
Teresa Lavender
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this here on goodreads. All I can say is there better be a sequel, because that can't be the ending. I completely did NOT expect this story line. It puts a whole new spin on government agencies and vaccinations.
Ruth Vanotten
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Am Z

Great story. I look forward to reading the next one. The inter action between the characters keeps me guessing, what will it be.
Jackie
The premise is unique without being totally original, the narrative is easy to follow as well as comprehend and though the book could use more precise editing it still presents a clear picture of how easy it would be for these concepts to be carried to fruition.

Starting second book to see if the next turns out with a better execution.
Coly Moore
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very strange style. The author uses mostly present tense but often switches to past tense, apparently randomly and sometimes within the same paragraph. If you don't mind that you might enjoy the open ended story.
Robert
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new take on the zombie novel. It was refreshing to see it come from the direction that it did. No spoilers. Slow starter but then it is off running.
Lexxi
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to give this book a chance. The premise was interesting and a nice change from the usual zombie stories. However, the grammar and spelling mistakes kept getting in the way of the story. My favorite was when they said they were worried Phase One would release a "plaque". Not plague, plaque. And the author was using "anyways" when he was talking to the audience, which is not a word. The tense changes were also irritating and the author struggled with using commas correctly.

The boo
Jess (Iorelyn)
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-books
The book caught my attention from the whole idea of 'zombies' without the whole traditional undead type. So of course I had to enter the giveaway for it.

I wanted to enjoy this book, I really did. But the way it was told made it hard to do so. Between switching tenses every other paragraph it seemed, and the overuse of names, I struggled hard to finish. I almost gave up a few times, specially during main dialogue scenes. Partially due to the amount of times the names were used. Seeing the word "
Yvonne Smith
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a free kindle version of the book for an honest review. I so wanted to like this book. I have always enjoyed zombie books of all kinds. This is not your typical zombie book. It is based on the idea that a group of scientists and rich members have slowly infiltrated society around the globe to create a manageable human population by making them compliant, zombies. No biting here. Unfortunately it was so slow and disjointed at the beginning that I found myself struggling to keep reading ...more
Michelle
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good premise, fell a bit flat

I really liked the main premise of this story. It takes zombies and give them a complete overhaul, and I liked the direction it tried to go. I'm not sure if it was the editing or just how it was written, but there were times I though perhaps I was missing pages or misunderstanding. There are a few plot holes that made it a bit of a struggle to figure out what was going on at times. Otherwise, the story is pretty solid. Like I said, it's a very interesting take on zom
Olivia Rofrits
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

We get whole different view on the government or more like a secret group making their own new government and world. Their using yearly shots to control people turning them into zombies almost.

I did like few of the characters in the group trying to stop them from taking over the world. didn't like how the dr. Got caught right away and Justin was pointed out right away.
I give this book 3.5 star. I'll be reading next book soon
Rani
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Won in a goodreads giveaway. I am not a fan of the zombie genre in general and this take on it did nothing to keep my attention. the writing was fine but I couldn't stick with the plot and without a character I could really connect with it was a struggle to make it through the book.
HOLLY CLAGHORN
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Good book without zombies. Different type of virus.
OutlawPoet
rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2017
larry hicks
Nov 18, 2017
Heath
May 07, 2018 added it
Not bad. Too many grammatical errors.
Channa
Nov 27, 2017
Chara
Jan 16, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Infection (Emergence #1)
  • The Sam Archer Series: Books 5-6
  • The End of Everything (The End of Everything #1)
  • The Back Door Man
  • They Came With The Snow (They Came with the Snow, #1)
  • The Acid Alchemist
  • The Long Night Box Set: The Complete The Long Night Series - Books 1-6
  • The Lost Light (Darkness Rising #2)
  • The Night Crossing
  • Prepared (Sundown #1)
  • Cabal of The Westford Knight: Templars at the Newport Tower (Templars in America, Book #1)
  • When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)
  • Sweden's Serial Killer
  • Psycho Analysis
  • Day Zero (Dead Texas #1)
  • Savage Moon (DI Spicer Book 3)
  • The Bloodbath Ritual  (The Alex Hollick FBI Series #1)
  • The End of Everything: Book 5
"The new era of Zombie Fiction has finally arrived."
-From the creative mind of new and upcoming author, J.G. Fletcher

J.G. Fletcher is an American author of fiction. He is a resident of Clarksville, TN and alumnus of Austin Peay State University. He graduated with honors from APSU, with a BS in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security and a MS in Management.

J.G. Fletcher has also been serving proudly in