Start by marking “Wither and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Wither and Other Stories

Wither and Other Stories

Should we or shouldn’t we? It’s a question many ask themselves each day. Should we or shouldn’t we wither in a wooded paradise instead of a broken city? Leave our home when the news warns us of what’s outside? Join in a circle of nighttime delights? Be with someone who awakens our sins?

“Wither and Other Stories” tells four tales of the choice to partake. In the end, the ch
Published October 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Wither and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wither and Other Stories

Start your review of Wither and Other Stories
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Wither and Other Stories” tells four tales of the choice to partake. In the end, the choice may not need to be made. For when we ask ourselves, “Should we or shouldn’t we,” the answer is always yes."
__
Having recently read Sonora Taylor's collection, LITTLE PARANOIAS (5 stars, highly recommend) I was eager to read more. I was given a digital copy of WITHER AND OTHER STORIES by the author for review consideration and I didn't waste any time getting into it.
There are four stories here, two are wha
Well Read Beard
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
3.5 Stars - I read and loved Sonora's Little Paranoias. Love isn't a strong enough word. Had I not read that one this would probably be a solid 4, but I feel that inflating the rating of this one would somehow deflate my love of Paranoias.

This book contains 4 stories. 2 of them being more traditional length short stories and 2 of them being extremely short pieces of flash fiction.

Wither is without a doubt the highlight of the book. Its an emotional tale of a young girl who has been moved to the
Heather
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of Sonora Taylor’s work since stumbling across the oh-so-twisted Without Condition. Her Wither and Other Stories contains four short stories, not all of which fit the horror or apocalyptic milieu.

In “Wither,” Katie’s parents left the Wicked Place (the city) to come to live in the forest. They’re determined to live off of the land as much as possible, and believe that the residents in the city are poisoning themselves by proxy: they poisoned the earth, and now she’s poisoning them
Melanie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sonora Taylor writes elegantly and with a creepy tension that keeps you turning pages. You just know something is a little off with each story and you can't wait to find out what it is.
In each short story, you get a feel for each character as they struggle with their situation. My favourite of the bunch was the last one, "We Really Shouldn't." Sonora captures the tension and the realism of forbidden love just right in this one.
Wither and Other Stories is a real treat to read. I'm looking forwa
Tiffany Brown
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sonora Taylor has a knack for drawing you in, making you believe one thing, and then challenging that belief with a chilling truth. Nothing is what it seems in Wither and Other Stories. From strained family ties to impending apocalypse to a failed relationship, it's what lurks beneath in these tales that's truly terrifying. A creepy collection that's a delight to read!
Cat Voleur
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't think it had as much to offer as the other collection I've read by Taylor, which makes sense because this collection is shorter, with fewer stories.

I was also a tiny bit disappointed because 'Wither' was my favorite story, and is first in the collection. Having it placed last in the collection (building up to it) might have been a more effective placement -- but with that as my only real complaint, I think it works out better.

I would still suggest 'Little Paranoias' first as a collection
Kate Alvarez
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting and often left me thinking about what the hell each story meant, which I liked.
Bianca Marvel
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
VERY good! This author is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Ben
Jun 29, 2020
Erin Al-Mehairi
Oct 01, 2018
Sonora Taylor
Oct 09, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote

• The Starless Sea
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • The Living Dead
  • Crossroads
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • Benny Rose, the Cannibal King
  • Under Her Black Wings : 2020 Women of Horror Anthology
  • Santa Muerte
  • Wishin' and Hopin'
  • White Pines
  • The Only Good Indians
  • The Girl in the Video
  • Ashes and Entropy
Sonora Taylor is the award-winning author of Little Paranoias: Stories, Without Condition, The Crow’s Gift and Other Tales, Please Give, and Wither and Other Stories. Her short stories have appeared in multiple publications, including Camden Park Press’s Quoth the Raven, Kandisha Press’s Women of Horror Vol. 2: Graveyard Smash, The Sirens Call, Frozen Wavelets, Mercurial Stories, Tales to Terrify, ...more

News & Interviews