Start by marking “Black Comix Returns” as Want to Read:
Black Comix Returns

Black Comix Returns

In 2010, Professor John Jennings and Dr. Damian Duffy compiled and published a 176 page collection of art and essays celebrating the vibrant African American independent comics community. Black Comix featured over 50 contributors, including Dawud Anyabwile, Eric Battle, Kenji Marshall, Afua Richardson, Larry Stroman, Rob Stull, Lance Tooks, and many, many more. It met high ...more
Published February 20th 2018 by Lion Forge Comics

To ask other readers questions about Black Comix Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Comix Returns

[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2018
Black Comix Returns is best recommended for those who are a fan of comic books and are in the graphic design/animation industry. This art book contains 91 artists that feature some sample of their work(s) and a short biography in the side.

Plenty of the illustrations included in this book are extremely good and impressive. I'm quite familiar with some of the artists included here, just like Whit Taylor, Christina Stellart, Shauna J. Grant, and Sean Mack. But I was also got to introduce to othe
Emm - One Thousand Years of Books
Stylish, vibrant and extremely diverse mix of artists and graphic novelists - for an art or comics enthusiast it's like being a kid in a candy store. Or I guess I should say an art supply store.
This collection features mostly indie artists, but of all mediums - digital or traditional, cartoon or realistic, full colour or monochrome, you name it.

While it's true of any multi-artist gallery that some of the styles won't be my favourites, I can't deny that everyone in here has buckets of talent. Ser
Cathy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I had expected an anthology of short comics. My mistake, I guess. It is a collection of artwork and a few essays on various topics. If that is what you are looking for, as a broad representation of African-American comic art, this could be a fabulous resource for you.

Some of it is great artwork, some is not. I did discover some interesting artists. I guess I expected more story telling. For me personally, this was not what I was looking for.

I received this free e-copy from the publisher/author v
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

I, like many other people it seems, originally thought this was going to be an anthology of short stories. It is actually an art book featuring very short profiles and samples of work from several black comic artists. I still enjoyed it and I actually put several of the featured comics on my to-read list, but I find it difficult to give anything without a cohesive 'story' more than 3 stars. I know a lot of people like art books but for me this is
Alicia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful collection highlighting black comix. Every few pages is a biographical note about a black comic or graphic novelist and some of their artwork in whatever style they use.

It's absolutely like standing in front of an awesome cafe or candy aisle and getting to take in all of the beauty of what's before you except you're a little closer to the art, yet you can still smell, touch, and feel the complexity, beauty, simplicity, thoughtfulness, and artistic talent of these amazing artist
Radwa
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, e-books, netgalley
I received an eArc of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review, so thanks to them.

I first heard about this book on one of the Book Riot podcasts, and when I found it on netgalley, thought I'd try it. and it wasn't like I expected.

I expected a short story or comic from each 50 black artists illustrating their art and style, but it's like a very short profile with 4 pages of examples of their art. Some of the art was brilliant, others weren't that good. but I'm glad I tried it ou
Susan
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2018
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

This was a beautiful collection of artwork black comix. It isn't a Comic book but a book of artwork. Every few pages is a biographical note about a black comic or graphic novelist and some of their artwork in whatever style they use. It was fascinating to read about their artwork and their inspiration.
tysephine
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
An interesting primer for several Black comic artists and writers. Men to women ratio is uneven (about 3:1 or maybe 4:1) but full of amazing artwork and a couple interesting essays.
SomdahSaysSo
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for black comic artists to follow this is a book you should check out. This isn't a comic book like I initially thought. Black Comix Returns gives a spotlight to artists and gives you a sample of the work.
Jim
Wow.

This is an art book.

It’s a fantastic art book.

The only reason I’m surprised is because I thought it was going to be a collection of comics - of stories, etc.

But it actually highlights several comics artists and their work.

And their work is wonderful.

The great thing about this is the diversity of the work. There are superheroes, and indie comix, humor, high art, all kinds of stuff.

These artists are amazingly talented.

The trouble is, many of these are really hard to find. Wait, I take
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damian Duffy, John Jennings, and their collaborators have produced a magnificent piece of book art that you should know, and if you have even a spark of curiosity about comic art, you should own it or have ready access. I am writing this post as a paean/review of Black Comix Returns, published 2018 by the Lion Forge, LLC. I had access to this title courtesy of #Netgalley.

My stamp of approval is such that halfway into to reading it online, I knew I had to have a copy of my own. Fortunately, this
Pop Bop
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
"Representation and Inclusion"

This is like a huge, grand gallery show of the widest possible selection of black independent comics artists. It is a followup of sorts to Jennings and Duffy's wildly successful 2010 art book, "Black Comix: African American Independent Comics Art & Culture".

This time around we survey the work of over 40 artists, some established and some up and coming. Each artist gets a two or three page spread with examples of past and current projects. There are also very bri
Kelly
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meet your new TBR list!

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Edelweiss.)

New to the world of comic books? Want to diversify your reading list? Looking for some STUNNING art by African-American creators? You've come to the right place: Black Comix Returns is collection of illustrations, comic strips, and essays by black artists.

Tbh, when I cracked this open, I was expecting to find an anthology of sorts, maybe a sampling of stories from up-and-and coming graphic no
June
Confession: I left comics behind in my early teenage years. Not that I read extensively. And I was not interested in superheroes style, as it seemed to require that I catch up with long series. I figured that comics were for childhood. But then due to YouTube most people seem to read some sort of graphic novel. And after a while your biases can slide. Picked up Maus and March Book 1, and eager to find my own aesthetic.

I picked up this anthology on Black Comic never knowing there was a prior ver
Diane Hernandez
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Good survey of black comic artists by the creators of Kindred.

Black Comix Returns contains a short biography and representative art from over 70 comic artists of color. Both established and emerging talents are showcased. Most of the artists have the plot of one of their comics or graphic novels summarized too. There are also short essays about being non-white and/or non-male in a white male controlled industry.

While this book would be a great gift for any comic/graphic novel fan, it is especial
Mindy
When I first pulled this out to read, I thought it was going to be excerpts from different graphic novels. I was wrong but I'm still not disappointed. There are tiny glimpses into the different graphic novels and artists that are featured but this is more of a guide of where to find stories involving black characters or artists. There are a few series in here that I'm actually quite excited about and the misunderstanding at the start was entirely my own. Even so, this is an excellent guide and i ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
'Black Comix Returns' edited by John Jennings and Damian Duffy is a not so much a sequel to their 2010 book Black Comix as it is an update.

This A to Z volume focuses on the amazing African American artists working in the field of comics. From Leisl Adams to Ashley A. Woods there is a wide variety of styles. There are short bios of each artist and samples of their art. In some cases, the artist has a creator owned series, and these also get a paragraph or two within the artist's entry. In some ca
Adam Stone
I've been using the 2010 version of this book as a resource to widen the scope of which creators I seek out in both webcomics and physical comics. This new edition is considerably larger (not just thicker and filled with more up-to-date information, but physically larger) which makes the art pop even more.

Most of essays about each creator are simple one paragraph descriptions of their style and some of the projects they've worked on. These little paragraph pops left me wanting more, but, hey, I
Nia Ireland
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is like a directory for the best diverse artists and illustrators, which is exactly what I've been looking for, truth be told.

When you're just starting to get into comics and graphic novels, it's hard to know where to start. I know that I have definite preferences when it comes to artistic styles, so having a book that gives you a 4 page spread and a paragraph of introduction to different artists is the best thing ever!

As a result, I now have a handy dandy list of artists whose work I'
Rianna
12/52 books read in 2018.
Provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I expected this to be a collection of short stories or teasers for upcoming comic books. It wasn't that. It is instead a gorgeous collection of art teasers. You cannot read any of the stories, but through this anthology you do get a great overview of black comic artists and their work. Most of the artwork was absolutely beautiful & there are definitely a couple that I want to read in the future. This is a great r
Jarrod Lacy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Showcasing a cornucopia of outstanding talents of the black comic book artists and writers community. this amazing text is one for those black creators surrounding the genre, if for inspiration alone. I was enthralled, overly involved and taken aback by the geniuses on each page represented. With the likes of Deron Bennett, Eric Battle, Keef Cross, Avy Jetter, Uraeus, Enrique Carrion, Turtel Onli and Sean Hill, it is more than imperative that this book be recommended to those with superhero drea ...more
Mark
Has mostly 2-4 page spreads on approx. 50 Black artists, writers, etc. of comics and graphic novels. Is arranged in alphabetical order by name. I found a good list of people and titles to look into but sadly my public library has access to almost none of them. Maybe PSU has more of them; I still need to check the Summit catalog.

Back in the early 2000s we went to a lecture by these guys at the art museum on UIUC campus; as Damian had recently entered our grad department.
MFCOMMAND
This is an excellent resource for seeking Black artists & comics creators to check out.
Plenty of beautiful artwork included here.

The only drawback I noticed was a lack of redundant information about these creators.
Several of the listed websites were down. Some look like they haven't been updated in a year or more. Would have been great to see further information on where the creators work could be found, social media & such.
Nessa Luna [October Tune]
I really thought this was going to be an anthology of some kind... and judging by the reviews on here, I wasn’t the only one. I did enjoy looking at the artwork, and I wrote down the names of people I want to check out further, but yeah can’t give this book more stars because honestly it wasn’t what I had expected. I do recommend checking this out if you want to find some more great (black) comic artists!
Jessica
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantastic compilation of graphics, media, and essays from various African American creators. The art was stunning, and the samples of comics seemed very well thought out. While I was hoping for a more in-depth collection of comic samples, I enjoyed every second of this all the same - and even found some new artist and comic book artist to check out in the future.
This would be a great gift to anyone who appreciates art and comics.
Bravo for putting this gorgeous collection together!
Kayla Reed
(3.5⭐) Before I read this I thought it was going to be a collection of short stories but with comics and I was wrong. Instead it was like a reference book or a show case for other black artist and creators. Which although its wasn't what I was expecting I still really liked it and just the whole concept of it supporting other black artist and their work.
Beth
Fantastic compendium of sample work and descriptions of newer black comics creators. Some essays are included, notably (to me) one on black women creators. A wonderful place to see what's going on in black comic art or comic art in general, and to find possible new graphic novels, comics and/or artists to find. Much of the art is as mind-blowing as that amazing cover!
Rose
I, like others, was mistakenly expecting a comics anthology; this not that, but instead is a compendium of current Black artists throughout the comics industry, showcasing illustrations or excerpts from their work, and a few essays. I'm not unhappy that I checked this out, because I got to see art from people I already know and like, and discovered some new works I'd like to find, as well.
Krystal
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While I did not know what to expect from this art book, I am thrilled with its magnificence, as it gives me hope that black people are carving out a space for themselves to represent their stories!
Makayla Harper
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing for inspiration, helps discovering other artists showing websites and artstyles throughout.