Start by marking “The Gretel Series: Books 1-3” as Want to Read:
The Gretel Series: Books 1-3

The Gretel Series: Books 1-3

(Gretel #1-3)

The first three books in this dark and captivating re-imagined series of the classic story of Hansel and Gretel.

When it sets its sights on an unsuspecting mother one routine morning along an isolated stretch of highway, a quiet farming family is suddenly t
Published September 5th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Gretel Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gretel Series

Lori Spinks
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
What outcome of the whole series is

I was a little disappointed that the series was more scary than it was.,but it was gory in some places,it was well written, and the story flowed well from book one through book three. It is a fairytale gone terrible wrong but in the end things are different than you will think. I do recommend to all who think a fairytale is always happily ever after.
Loretta
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE FACT THAT I WAS LED TO BELIEVE THIS SERIES WAS REAL SCARY BUT IT'S NOT, THERE ARE PARTS THAT ARE GORY BUT NOT SCARY. IT IS WELL WRITTEN AND THE STORY MOVES AND FLOWS AT A GOOD PACE. IF YOU LIKE A FAIRYTALE GONE TERRIBLE WRONG THEN THIS SERIES WILL BE A GREAT READ.
Jackie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Utterly superb reading. Loved this version of Gretel, totally grown up and different. Ready for more of this type by this outstanding author.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
kindle unlimited, read all the 'Gretel' series except new one due out soonish so had flipped through the 3 set a while back, not sure why wasn't reviewed then. Reviewed the individual books sparately as usual.

Alone. Frightened. Captive. If you hear someone approaching, RUN. She is not there to help you. There is an ancient evil in the Back Country, dormant for centuries but now hungry and lurking. When it sets its sights on an unsuspecting mother one routine morning along an isolated
Rebecca
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
As much as I loved the first book, I think the second two went progressively downhill. Marlene's Revenge (book 2) was still good, with some twists and turns and a twist ending that still contained badass females saving themselves. Parts of it felt a little too rehashed from the first book, but the majority of those echoes made sense, and I was prepared to be lenient.

Hansel (book 3), on the other hand, was totally different, and (I felt) the biggest let down of the series. First, the abrupt switch from mostl
Fatirah
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you’re an adult and just need some great escapist reading, this could be for you. The characters were very well delineated, and the story had just enough of the original Hansel and Gretel to keep you intrigued. I guess this would be a Fairytale for Adults. Fascinating and scary as pitch, and you will physically detest the witch and root for her demise, which surprisingly......but that’s a spoiler, :). I read the first part, not knowing that there would be more; but I’m so glad there was! It i ...more
Susan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
NO GINGERBREAD HOUSE HERE! This set includes books 1-3 in the Gretel series. You can read each as a standalone book. But it will make more sense if you have read the books in order and this set makes that easy to do. Book 3 (Hansel) does not end in a cliffhanger but is open-ended for future books in the series. There is violence. This is not the children's version of the tale as it is much much darker in tone and content.

The book blurb adequately describes the storyline so I'm not go
Dona Moore
Shelves: 2018
Frightful trio of dark horror stories with a decidedly evil twist on the old Grimm's Fairy tale theme that IS sure to delight if a modern adult retelling suits you more. Each book is unique in that it is written from the perspective of a different character that is key to the overall story line, and while best read start to finish the individual novels could also be read as standalones should you desire as author does a reasonably good job of filling you in on what transpired from the prior book ...more
Ron D
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well worth the time and the read. Would read again.

I enjoyed books 1-3 of Gretel Box Set. I liked that this wasn’t similar to the fable of Hansel & Gretel; but that it contained elements of it. I liked that you couldn’t attribute the locations to our World today, and that the “System” is just as corrupt as most governments today. The author did a great job on character development and mixing in different moments in time; as one would do today with personal memories. The rating sums up the
varena manion
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Not your typical Wicked Witch story

First, it sets my nerves on edge when published authors won’t take the time to learn the proper usage of the pronoun “I”. The plot was labored and the writing was wrought with distracting detail. I found myself skipping entire chapters which had no bearing on developing the plot. Grammatical errors were present and annoying as they interfered with the flow of reading.
Corine
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. If you open these books without a shiver, you are oblivious to the dangers this author portrays. Wake up!
This is certainly a wildly different version of Hansel and Gretel, yet the gist of it is there: the children are essentially abandoned when their father is seriously injured and their mother disappears. The cruel interloper forces Gretel to take mature steps to save her brother and herself, and there are witches present. The reader gets to follow the mother’s tribulations as well as the
Becky
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read. It was different, not your usual vampire/witch story. I loved how the characters are portrayed, and there aren't so many characters that you can't follow the story. After the end of the 3rd book, I found myself wishing it wasn't the end because I'd love to see what happens with Hansel, Gretel, Noah, and Maja in their endeavors to track down the remaining books. Perhaps another addition to the series?
Sofia Danokaras tsotrou
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Gretel Series: Books 1-3 3 Great books!!! A gripping story of Hansel and Gretel, for adults not for children. I recommend this 3 books...so why are you waiting go and read them.
Ellen morais
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Gretel!

I so thoroughly enjoyed Gretelthee books 1thru 3! The Characters are believable and engaging. They grow on you and with you. I couldn't put these books down- I had. to see what happens next! I don't remember how I heard of them but I'm so very glad I did. Cant wait to read Annikas Revenge!
Sharon Hechter
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Gretel Series: A Journey Of Entertainment

A beginning full of strange culture and places, a mixture of characters seemingly simple but delightfully complex. A venture into terror, fear, puzzles and simple lives or so it seems. Enjoyed it slowly to absorb the complex events and intertwining of good and bad
Gina
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a creepy twist on a fairy tale reminiscent of the original Grimm tales. These stories will take you to places you will not expect and at times heartrending. You may want to read these with the lights on. This review is voluntary and I received a complimentary copy.
Katie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scary Awesome

Received this book for free/ARC am voluntarily reviewing. beautifully scary take on Hansel and Gretel's story, full of unexpected twists, hard to put down, highly recommend reading.
Terri
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down!

A somewhat grisly tale, but crazy good reading! Hansel and Gretel and their tale here is so much different than the old fairy story! And yet it's not! Scary in many places, this book makes me want to read faster! Great series!
Wanda
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gretel

This series puts a new twist on the story of Hansel and Gretel. This is a gripping story full of twists and turns. Its a must read! I recommend and challenge everyone to read it in its entirety.
Josette Thomas
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now that I finished this set of books and I really enjoyed these novels. The characters are well thought out and each story explained a piece of the whole. I am on to the next novel, Anika. I am guessing I will learn more about the Morgan family and how some things got started.
Murrel Lowry
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Gretel Series: Books 1-3.

Just finished the third in the series, Hansel. What a difference from the childhood fairy tale from many years ago. A very good book, much more detail and a glimpse into other realms of the childhood story. Now one more to go.
Heidi
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witches
I absolutely loved this series! It is very original and once you start reading you can't stop! I have reviewed the books individually, because I read them as they came out! No more waiting for the rest of you though, this is the complete series and it will knock your socks off!
Donna
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hansel and Gretel ReMixed

An intriguing remix of a popular old fairy tale. Intriguing and terrifying The Gretel series will keep you on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, afraid to turn the page, yet scared not to.
Ann Keeran
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An adult fairy tale that will leave you with nightmares. Christopher Coleman has created a fantastic cast of characters. The witch is someone you won't easily forget. When you get the set, you won't have to wait for the next release. Lucky!
Julie Rein
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely thrilling crazy adventure!

The first book Gretel grabs you by the throat and takes you on a page turning thrill ride from start to finish! Then the next 2 takes you further on the amazing journey. Couldn't put it down!
Kimberly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want more

It was very good. Kept my attention. You can't just leave things here. I would Olive to follow Hansel, Gretal, Noah, and Maja all over the world looking for the rest of the books.
Carol Torres
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrifyingly Terrific

These books held my interest throughout, never a dull moment. The characters evoked many emotions, and I never could predict where the story was going, though it never disappoints. This version of Hans Gretel will leave me with an indelible memory.
Elaine Plourde
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must admit I really enjoyed this series. It was like reading an adult Hansel and Gretal.
Jeanine
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great series.
Viola Elaine Smith
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Gretel Series

I am captivated by this series. Knowing full well it is a fantasy , I find myself cringing in horror and rejoicing in any victory.

• Wolf Medicine
  • Dun Lady's Jess (Changespell Saga , #1)
  • Catmagic
  • It Happened One Haunting (Karmic Consultants Book 2)
  • The Detective: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner, #0.5)
  • Kitchen Witchcraft: Crafts of a Kitchen Witch (Pagan Portals)
  • Spirelli Paranormal Investigations, Episodes #1- #3 (Spirelli Paranormal Investigations)
  • The Mansion Hauntings Super Boxset: A Collection Of Riveting Haunted House Mysteries
  • A Whisper of Eternity
  • The Works of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Hair Gone Wild! Recipes & Remedies for Natural Tresses (Hair Gone Wild, #3)
  • Bone Cold (Soul Shamans #2)
  • The Lost Garden: The Complete Series
  • Visions of the Cailleach: The Myths, Stories and History of the British / Celtic Earth Shaping Crone Goddess of Winter
  • Spirits Among Us (The Spirits Trilogy #2)
  • Make Magic of Your Life: Passion, Purpose, and the Power of Desire
  • Graver Girl (Grave Girl, #2)
  • The Crocodile's Jaws (Alice in Deadland #7)
Christopher Coleman lives in Maryland with his wife and two children. He is a graduate of the University of Maryland with a degree in English Literature. A fan of classic and modern horror and thriller movies, his favorite movies are Rosemary's Baby and The Ring. When he's not writing fiction, you can find him reading, taking his kids to and from various sporting activities or watching horror movi ...more

Gretel (5 books)
  • Gretel (Gretel, #1)
  • Marlene's Revenge (Gretel, #2)
  • Hansel (Gretel, #3)
  • Anika Rising (Gretel #4)
  • The Crippling (Gretel Book Five)