Start by marking “This Time Will Be Different” as Want to Read:
This Time Will Be Different

This Time Will Be Different

Katsuyamas never quit—but seventeen-year-old CJ doesn’t even know where to start. She’s never lived up to her mom’s type A ambition, and she’s perfectly happy just helping her aunt, Hannah, at their family’s flower shop.

She doesn’t buy into Hannah’s romantic ideas about flowers and their hidden meanings, but when it comes to arranging the perfect bouquet, CJ discovers a kn
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Time Will Be Different, please sign up.
Rip Riyria 3? If you have a problem with the "gayness" of a book this is definitely not the right fit for you, but the emphasis is not on the gayness of the peop…more3? If you have a problem with the "gayness" of a book this is definitely not the right fit for you, but the emphasis is not on the gayness of the people but more their actual relationship and how their personalities interact if that makes sense. Also the gay relationship does not involve the main character if that helps.(less)

Start your review of This Time Will Be Different
chai ♡
Time to play a game called Am I Actually Interested in This Book? or Is The Girl on The Cover Just Pretty?
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I had heard a lot of mixed things going into this one so I wasn't sure how I would feel, but I ended up really enjoying this! I love a YA book that explores teens being messy and making mistakes in a REALISTIC manner. I'm a fan.
Mackenzi
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This. Book. Is. Excellent.
may ❀
this was one of the best contemporaries that showed how realistically messy and annoying and petty teenagers can be but also how much they can grow and be mature and learn from their mistakes.

the character development was fantastic. it was shown in a steady, believable, flawed way way. i loved the show of relationships, between the main character and her mom, aunt, and best friend.

the romance was freaking adorable, maybe friends to lovers do actually deserve rights 🤔🤔

see i don't HATE love tri
Dahlia
This somehow did so much more than I expected it to, even though I guess the cover copy is clear what it's about, but there was just...so much that was so good. I definitely came away learning a lot more about Japanese internment and its aftereffects than I remember absorbing from high school, but I think the way CJ was coming from a family that historically hadn't really...prospered in the area of romantic love and the ways both that and her own past kind of shut down her heart was really lovel ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
2019 has been an incredible year of YA contemporaries - and This Time Will Be Different is one of the biggest reasons why.

- Follows CJ, a Japanese-American teen with a knack for arranging flowers. When CJ's mother decides to sell her family's flower shop to the family who swindled the flower shop during the Japanese Internment during WWII, CJ discovers that she finally has something she wants to fight for.
- To be honest, I really loved everything about this book: the wonderful, messy, and compl
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
really enjoyed this! devoured it in one day via the audiobook. so many good conversations about race, privilege, reparations, and history.
Sophia
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
i feel people are sleeping on this book?
it tackles so many cool themes, such as how to respect your cultural history in a world that wants to erase it.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
ohh no no no no no. i was trying too hard to be funny and jumped right into weird. sigh

Me every time I try to eat gummy bears and then ten minutes later poop my guts

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* Oh I loved this for so many reasons

- The characters were wonderful, lovable and flawed. They felt real. They were messy teenagers who had good intentions at heart but made mistakes, were called out on them and were allowed to grow from those mistakes.

- The writing was so incredibly easy to read and flowed beautifully. I essentially devoured this in one sitting and despite the raging sunburn I got from refusing to move inside until I’d finished the book, I regret nothing.

- I thought the w
abigailscupoftea
Aug 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Jessica | Booked J
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

" People talk about starting over after they've made a big mistake or a bad choice in life. But you can never really start over. You can't fully reset. And I don't think you should. There's no point in dwelling on the past, but you can acknowledge it and try to make things better. Or try a new way, and know that this time will be different. "

Trigger warnings for this one, off the top of my head: mention of miscarriages and abort
explorerofbooks
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written by an ownvoices author, this was extremely perceptive about topics I hadn’t even considered thinking about. It’s a smart tale that reminds us the past really isn’t that important. What’s important is that you accept your mistakes, and find a better way.

CJ wouldn’t call herself ambitious, compared to her pursuing family. She simply enjoys working in the family’s flower shop, where her aunt aligns with her customers’ hearts with her ‘flower magic’. CJ is usually talentless, but she does s
janel
Jul 09, 2019 added it
Okay - here comes a book I feel very conflicted on.

First, I absolutely love the topics this book broaches. I grew up on the east coast, so my school history classes taught me almost nothing covered in this book. I had to learn it on my own, especially since our government doesn't really like kids learning about the U.S.'s shitty decisions. Thinking about how a kid could pick up this book and learn a lot about the years of Japanese internment - about how they lost their land and then got a twenty
julianna ➹
thinking about two things rn
1) why is the "be" on the cover out of line with the other text
2) everyone in this book is honestly just vibing

awh yeah i'm loving how i'm finally reading my old contemporary digital review copies simply because i REFUSE to touch anything fantasy/sci-fi
theresa
ahhh that cover was too good to be true.the story was not bad,the political message really damn important but i found everyone in this book super annoying and imo 400 pages was too long for a book where nothing really happens?THAT COVER THOUGH
Cassandra
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reads-of-2019
This book handles the racism buried in American history, especially directed toward Japanese-Americans after Pearl Harbor, by smacking it in the face with this 400-page tome of truth. Humorous, diverse, and unapologetic, This Time Will Be Different is a masterpiece that attacks the term 'model minority' with the same artful skill that The Hate U Give used to address police brutality. ...more
Jaye Berry
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Time Will Be Different begins with CJ working at her family's flower shop. She doesn't really buy into her aunt's language of flowers but she still loves working there. Then her mother decides to sell the shop and if that wasn't bad enough, she is planning to sell to the family that cheated theirs out when thousands of Japanese-Americans were sent to internment camps during WWII. Soon a rift happens in their community and CJ has finally found something to fight for.

This book was cute and fu
✰ lils ✰
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

THIS BOOK!!! There's so much I took away from "This Time Will Be Different" and I'm so thankful I picked it up when I did. I originally received an ARC of this at a local book festival I went to this year and the synopsis instantly captured my attention and I knew I had to pick this up asap. I started reading it a while ago but I didn't have a lot of time to finish when things started to get busy but I'm so happy I finally finished it. Guys! I'm not kidding when I say I need everyone
Emma
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Grade: C
An e-galley was provided by HarperCollins via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I am always big proponent of "the longer, the better" when it comes to books, but sometimes...longer isn't better. This Time Will Be Different clocks in at 400 pages and I felt that length throughout the whole book. While there are some good themes throughout, I think the plot needed to be condensed to something at least 50, if not 75 to 100, pages shorter.
I wanted to
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars. I’m not biased at all, nor reading this book because of its pretty cover.

// buddy read with a human sunshine

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Fernanda Granzotto
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook!

This book has everything:
-A true mother and daughter relationship
-A cute romance
-Amazing friendships
-Messy teenagers beings messy teenagers
-A flower shop and flower magic
-A side f / f romance
-A find your self plot
-A fight for what you want and believe the plot
And talks about wonderful subjects like:
-abortion
-being a single mom
-women in the job market
-racism
-homophobia
-Japanese American culture and history

It’s a very quick and heartwarming book.
I highly recommend it if you like c
Christy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book better win all the damn awards this year. Full review to come!
mindful.librarian ☀️
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, aoc
(free review copy) THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT is an exceptional YA story set in the Bay Area, addressing the long-term impacts of Japanese internment camps during WWII, along with efforts to save a wonderful and magical flower shop from financial ruin, in-depth discussions of LGBTQIA+ and other social justice advocacy and allyship issues, AND friendship and teen love. WHEW. That sounds like a lot all in one story.....and it is. But Sugiura makes every plot point matter deeply to the overall sto ...more
Camryn
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OKAY, WOW. Let me list everything I love about this book

1) The family set up. I really liked the fact that CJ was raised by a single mom, wondered about her dad, but didn't go on a search for him. Her aunt lived with them and helped raise her and she called her aunt by her first name. She says her aunt feels more like a sister. This reminds me a lot of my own relationship with some of my aunts, and that was so cool to see here.
2) Owen was bisexual. I kind of love seeing male love interests who a
Book Soul9
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
✦ ROOTS ARE IMPORTANT ✦
The book This Time Will be Different is all about family and the importance of its roots. Hannah is the one who tells CJ that she should never forget who she is. She tells CJ about their family history and how they never forgave what McAllister did to them. However, CJ’s mom has something little different to say.
She tells CJ that it is important they forget about their past and just move on because owning the flower shop doesn’t bring them any money. Hannah goes mad ever
Evelyn
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, contemporary
To those who DNFed this, CJ makes up for everything, just to let y'all know because this book was GREAT.

CJ, the MC who doesn't exactly fit into the Asian model minority, is a Japanese-American who works at her Aunt's flower shop when her Mother announces she's getting ready to sell the shop to Trey McAllister, a white man who's racist Grandfather stole millions of dollars and property from Japanese-Americans when they were sent to interment camps during WWII.

I think the main reason why people
Bon
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF at 30%. I didn't like the protagonist and her voice...And I feel really misled by the summary here, there was some stuff that felt out of left field, like a teen pregnancy issue and stuff - why did I think this would be fluffyish? Lmao. On to the next.
Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
I feel terrible giving this so low a rating, but I just really didn't enjoy it. I was incredibly excited about learning more about a history I was previously completely unaware of, and the summary made it sound that was the main thing of the book. It wasn't. It's more of a regular run of the mill YA contemporary that is tooth achingly predictable from start to finish, with a side of some history.

This book deals with a lot of important things, and for that I praise it. It has queer rep on the for
Cindy ✩☽♔
Feb 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
The period of Japanese internment camps in the United States and Canada is so rarely discussed, and honestly, I don't really remembering it being covered much at all when I was in school, so I hope this book gives me some insight on what they all went through.

• I Love You So Mochi
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Frankly in Love
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Felix Ever After

Articles featuring this book

Move over tribute volunteers and chosen ones. There's a new wave of heroes in town. This year, the young adult category is...
“Look at these wildflowers.” Hannah sweeps her arm around. “They’re not fancy, they’re not prizewinning orchids or roses. But they don’t care. They’re just wildflowers, doing their thing, and they’re beautiful. Be like them, sweet pea. Just be you and be happy.” 7 likes