Start by marking “This Time Will Be Different” as Want to Read:
This Time Will Be Different

This Time Will Be Different

Katsuyamas never quit—but seventeen-year-old CJ doesn’t even know where to start. She’s never lived up to her mom’s type A ambition, and she’s perfectly happy just helping her aunt, Hannah, at their family’s flower shop.

She doesn’t buy into Hannah’s romantic ideas about flowers and their hidden meanings, but when it comes to arranging the perfect bouquet, CJ discovers a
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

Start your review of This Time Will Be Different
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Time to play a game called Am I Actually Interested in This Book? or Is The Girl on The Cover Just Pretty?
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I had heard a lot of mixed things going into this one so I wasn't sure how I would feel, but I ended up really enjoying this! I love a YA book that explores teens being messy and making mistakes in a REALISTIC manner. I'm a fan.
Sofie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs-2019
I am a humble bisexual. I see a pretty girl on the cover. I want to read book with pretty girl on the cover.

UPDATE: Always trust book covers featuring pretty girls! They haven’t failed me yet!
Mackenzi
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This. Book. Is. Excellent.
Dahlia
This somehow did so much more than I expected it to, even though I guess the cover copy is clear what it's about, but there was just...so much that was so good. I definitely came away learning a lot more about Japanese internment and its aftereffects than I remember absorbing from high school, but I think the way CJ was coming from a family that historically hadn't really...prospered in the area of romantic love and the ways both that and her own past kind of shut down her heart was really ...more
may ❀
this was one of the best contemporaries that showed how realistically messy and annoying and petty teenagers can be but also how much they can grow and be mature and learn from their mistakes.

the character development was fantastic. it was shown in a steady, believable, flawed way way. i loved the show of relationships, between the main character and her mom, aunt, and best friend.

the romance was freaking adorable, maybe friends to lovers do actually deserve rights

see i don't HATE love
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
really enjoyed this! devoured it in one day via the audiobook. so many good conversations about race, privilege, reparations, and history.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
2019 has been an incredible year of YA contemporaries - and This Time Will Be Different is one of the biggest reasons why.

- Follows CJ, a Japanese-American teen with a knack for arranging flowers. When CJ's mother decides to sell her family's flower shop to the family who swindled the flower shop during the Japanese Internment during WWII, CJ discovers that she finally has something she wants to fight for.
- To be honest, I really loved everything about this book: the wonderful, messy, and
Tucker
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
ohh no no no no no. i was trying too hard to be funny and jumped right into weird. sigh

Me every time I try to eat gummy bears and then ten minutes later poop my guts
abigailscupoftea
Aug 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* Oh I loved this for so many reasons

- The characters were wonderful, lovable and flawed. They felt real. They were messy teenagers who had good intentions at heart but made mistakes, were called out on them and were allowed to grow from those mistakes.

- The writing was so incredibly easy to read and flowed beautifully. I essentially devoured this in one sitting and despite the raging sunburn I got from refusing to move inside until I’d finished the book, I regret nothing.

- I thought the
Jessica | Booked J
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

" People talk about starting over after they've made a big mistake or a bad choice in life. But you can never really start over. You can't fully reset. And I don't think you should. There's no point in dwelling on the past, but you can acknowledge it and try to make things better. Or try a new way, and know that this time will be different. "

Trigger warnings for this one, off the top of my head: mention of miscarriages and
turniip
Okay - here comes a book I feel very conflicted on.

First, I absolutely love the topics this book broaches. I grew up on the east coast, so my school history classes taught me almost nothing covered in this book. I had to learn it on my own, especially since our government doesn't really like kids learning about the U.S.'s shitty decisions. Thinking about how a kid could pick up this book and learn a lot about the years of Japanese internment - about how they lost their land and then got a twenty
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2019, arcs
This book handles the racism buried in American history, especially directed toward Japanese-Americans after Pearl Harbor, by smacking it in the face with this 400-page tome of truth. Humorous, diverse, and unapologetic, This Time Will Be Different is a masterpiece that attacks the term 'model minority' with the same artful skill that The Hate U Give used to address police brutality.
Christy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book better win all the damn awards this year. Full review to come!
Book Soul9
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
ROOTS ARE IMPORTANT
The book This Time Will be Different is all about family and the importance of its roots. Hannah is the one who tells CJ that she should never forget who she is. She tells CJ about their family history and how they never forgave what McAllister did to them. However, CJ’s mom has something little different to say.
She tells CJ that it is important they forget about their past and just move on because owning the flower shop doesn’t bring them any money. Hannah goes mad
Jaye Berry
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Time Will Be Different begins with CJ working at her family's flower shop. She doesn't really buy into her aunt's language of flowers but she still loves working there. Then her mother decides to sell the shop and if that wasn't bad enough, she is planning to sell to the family that cheated theirs out when thousands of Japanese-Americans were sent to internment camps during WWII. Soon a rift happens in their community and CJ has finally found something to fight for.

This book was cute and
⋆ lils ⋆
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

THIS BOOK!!! There's so much I took away from "This Time Will Be Different" and I'm so thankful I picked it up when I did. I originally received an ARC of this at a local book festival I went to this year and the synopsis instantly captured my attention and I knew I had to pick this up asap. I started reading it a while ago but I didn't have a lot of time to finish when things started to get busy but I'm so happy I finally finished it. Guys! I'm not kidding when I say I need everyone
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars. I’m not biased at all, nor reading this book because of its pretty cover.

// buddy read with a human sunshine

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr |Bloglovin’
theresa
ahhh that cover was too good to be true.the story was not bad,the political message really damn important but i found everyone in this book super annoying and imo 400 pages was too long for a book where nothing really happens?THAT COVER THOUGH
Kate ☀️ Olson
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, aoc
(free review copy) THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT is an exceptional YA story set in the Bay Area, addressing the long-term impacts of Japanese internment camps during WWII, along with efforts to save a wonderful and magical flower shop from financial ruin, in-depth discussions of LGBTQIA+ and other social justice advocacy and allyship issues, AND friendship and teen love. WHEW. That sounds like a lot all in one story.....and it is. But Sugiura makes every plot point matter deeply to the overall ...more
Camryn
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OKAY, WOW. Let me list everything I love about this book

1) The family set up. I really liked the fact that CJ was raised by a single mom, wondered about her dad, but didn't go on a search for him. Her aunt lived with them and helped raise her and she called her aunt by her first name. She says her aunt feels more like a sister. This reminds me a lot of my own relationship with some of my aunts, and that was so cool to see here.
2) Owen was bisexual. I kind of love seeing male love interests who
Emma
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Grade: C
An e-galley was provided by HarperCollins via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I am always big proponent of "the longer, the better" when it comes to books, but sometimes...longer isn't better. This Time Will Be Different clocks in at 400 pages and I felt that length throughout the whole book. While there are some good themes throughout, I think the plot needed to be condensed to something at least 50, if not 75 to 100, pages shorter.
I wanted to
Fernanda Granzotto
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook!

This book has everything:
-A true mother and daughter relationship
-A cute romance
-Amazing friendships
-Messy teenagers beings messy teenagers
-A flower shop and flower magic
-A side f / f romance
-A find your self plot
-A fight for what you want and believe the plot
And talks about wonderful subjects like:
-abortion
-being a single mom
-women in the job market
-racism
-homophobia
-Japanese American culture and history

It’s a very quick and heartwarming book.
I highly recommend it if you like
Rec-It Rachel
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oh i loved this
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

CJ knew she would never live up to her mother's expectations. She had tried, and failed, at a myriad of endeavors, but the one thing she had some pride in was her work at the family flower shop. Unfortunately, the business was on the brink of collapsing, and if CJ and her aunt Hannah were unable to turn it around, her mother would be selling the shop. As CJ tried to breathe new life into the business, she discovered a lot of things about herself and her history, which would
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Time Will Be Different is a YA contemporary novel.

It is a coming of age story for 17 year old CJ. Her great-grandparents lost everything to the McAllister family (white family) during the Japanese American internment.

Now CJ's family owns a flower shop. Her mom wants nothing to do with it. But CJ and her aunt Hannah love it.

The narrator is CJ (1st person POV). The main story is intertwined with history and some of CJ's past.

This book looks at a lot of interesting and serious topics: racism,
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The period of Japanese internment camps in the United States and Canada is so rarely discussed, and honestly, I don't really remembering it being covered much at all when I was in school, so I hope this book gives me some insight on what they all went through.
Zoë ☆
I don’t know what I expected, I honestly had no idea going into it! I quite liked the flower aspect of the book, but I wasn’t as attached to the characters as I would have wanted to. Though, I really appreciated the thought behind it all!
Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
I feel terrible giving this so low a rating, but I just really didn't enjoy it. I was incredibly excited about learning more about a history I was previously completely unaware of, and the summary made it sound that was the main thing of the book. It wasn't. It's more of a regular run of the mill YA contemporary that is tooth achingly predictable from start to finish, with a side of some history.

This book deals with a lot of important things, and for that I praise it. It has queer rep on the

• With the Fire on High
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Pet
  • Love From A to Z
  • Slay
  • The Grief Keeper
“Look at these wildflowers.” Hannah sweeps her arm around. “They’re not fancy, they’re not prizewinning orchids or roses. But they don’t care. They’re just wildflowers, doing their thing, and they’re beautiful. Be like them, sweet pea. Just be you and be happy.” 8 likes