Start by marking “Vanguard: Prequel to The Sentinel Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Vanguard: Prequel to The Sentinel Trilogy

Vanguard: Prequel to The Sentinel Trilogy

(The Sentinel Trilogy #4)

Sorvashti is a captive. Jet is a soldier. Both harness the primal power of aether.

The war is over, but the Revoth want their land back. Kidnapping, ransom, and slavery fund their terrorism, but bombing Jet’s hometown was the final straw.

Viper Unit is dispatched to take the Revoth down. But the special forces have no need for a mind-reading ‘fairy’—unless Jet
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about Vanguard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanguard

Deborah O'Carroll
(Review originally posted as part of a double-review for this and Sentinel, on The Page Dreamer: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...)

A little different than the main series books of the Sentinel Trilogy, Viper is set years before Sentinel, and therefore pre-apocalypse... which means society hasn’t collapsed yet, and it reads very much like a contemporary thriller, with a dash of fantasy powers and military strike team and hostage situations. Just... y’know... in another world. ;)

It was VERY thrilling and intense and su
Abigayle Claire
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, edited

This prequel to The Sentinel Trilogy was awesome! It had some of my favorite characters from the original trilogy (which I obviously read first). The new characters were easy to keep track of and funny (the Viper Unit was super cool, okay?) ... although most of them had been at least briefly introduced in the trilogy, so it was fun to get the backstory! The political elements of the book were easy to follow and I love Jet and Sorv just as much as ever--probably more! I found that t
Laurie Lucking
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Sentinel I was really looking forward to this book, and Foley didn't disappoint! Viper follows Jet in his early days as a sniper, and Sorvashti through a kidnapping and rescue. I loved getting to see the history these characters have together, and I enjoyed getting to know Sorvashti better through her POV scenes. Just like Sentinel, this story has a satisfying blend of action, humor, and complex characters, along with hints of romance, and keeps the reader guessing and turning page ...more
Claire Banschbach
3.5 stars.

Heard some good things about the rest of the series, so I was looking forward to checking out this prequel novella when I won it in a giveaway.

I don't know that I properly appreciated it without having met these characters in the series first? I don't know, I'm always a little weird about reading prequel/back stories before reading the main story. It's almost like cheating since I don't know the characters as "they are" yet. It's weird and probably just a me thing.

Anyway - the world
Coco.V
Nov 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/15/2017)!
Laura A. Grace
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! I am excited for the rest of this series! What a great way to get a flavor of Jamie's writing, and what a great flavor she has.

I really enjoyed how fast-paced this story was as well as Jet and Sorvashti's exchanging point-of-views. There literally was never a dull moment! If you're not reading an action scene, you're getting a dose of humor or a high-emotion one. Can't say which character was necessarily my favorite because I greatly enjoyed both, but Inari was awesome.
Shela Muriel
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is an amazing book! I love it. Best book ever! I'll make sure to tell my friends to read it and I hope they'll enjoy it as much as I did! I also didn't know that this was a Kindle edition when I got it in the mail. I am so glad that I have the physical copy and I didn't expect it to be small either. Other than that Jamie Foley is an amazing author can't wait to physically do a book talk about it!
Rose Mute
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a breath of fresh air. Jet and Sorvashti struggle to live the lives they want not what their parents expect. From Jet joining the Royal Guard instead of the Air Force and follow in his father's legacy and Sorvashti following her passion for Art instead of the agreed arranged marriage to aid her Father's political career. In the midst of all that is going on around them, a bad situation causes them to meet and love to begins to blossom. Despite the language barriers, they are able t ...more
Tina
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this is the Prequel but I actually read this story after reading 'The Sentinel Trilogy'. And I Loved it. This is the story of how Jet and Sorva met. I'm glad I read them in that order or I think I wouldn't have understood Jet as well. In the trilogy he's stuffy and unemotional, but you get to see the real Jet in this story. It also helped explain a few things that weren't fully explained in the trilogy.
I'd recommend this book, series actually to anyone who loved action, romance and
Ian yarington
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in the giveaways and after reading some of the other reviews I feel lucky I won this book before any of the other ones because it's a prequel. I went in not knowing anything of the first books and because of that I was able to enjoy this book for what it is and not carry anything in with it. That being said I enjoyed the character development and the pace of the book, it was a pretty quick read and fun as well.
Liz
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
This is an enjoyable book. It is a quick, easy read with lots of action combined with some humor and a bit of romance. I did have some trouble catching up with the story but the glossary and map helped with that. I have passed this along to a teen that I know loves to read sci-fi and she seems to be engrossed in it as well. All-in-all, a book worth reading.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Circumstances and fate make Sorvashti and Jet meet.Them surviving the rest of their adventures and being able to "still" be together is the continuing hurdle.Now that they have a real reason to survive(each other)life becomes even more complicated but worth the effort.Life plans altered by actions neither could control.Action packed with the fighting of the vipers and their enemies,but a humanized story as we see how waring effects everyone-from generals to civilians.
Nina
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the short length of this novella fool you. Super-intense, the author pulls you in and doesn't let go until the last word. Not what I expected. Loved it! I received this book from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily post my honest review, here.
Danielle Howell
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original

I loved it! Your whole series let me get a glimpse into your worlds and I enjoyed it.
Jeff Howell
Amy Fudge
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, interesting and captivating. I have not (yet!) read The Sentinel Trilogy but am glad that now I have some insight into a few of the characters I look forward to reading about! You won't be disappointed with this great read!

I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery. I am voluntarily reviewing this book and this is my honest review.
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True to her style, Jamie Foley's writing is captivating--in both technique and plot! Once again we are pulled into a world ruled by Aethryn as we travel through the fantasy lands Valinor, Illyria and Kioa. Familiar characters Jet and Sorvashti return--or in this case, appear for the first time, since this is actually a prequel to the other stories. We learn about their background and struggles they experienced that laid the path for future decisions made in the following novels.

Perso
Jamilla_
I really enjoyed this, even though the white saviour narrative re valinor vs kioa was a smear on my enthusiasm, nevertheless I shall go on, because I've fallen for Jet & Sorvashti, damn it.
Denise
Jacqueline Patterson
Dec 16, 2016

• Mind Writer
  • Secrets Kept
  • Halayda (Star-Fae Trilogy, #1)
  • Twinepathy (IDIA #1)
  • Merlin's Shadow (The Merlin Spiral #2)
  • The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)
  • Shadow Flare (Ruby Callaway #2)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Dark Ocean Princess (The Cursed Seas Collection)
  • Divided (Alliance, #4)
  • The Sunken Realm (Eyes of E'veria #4)
  • Ripper (The Morphid Chronicles, #2)
  • Black Room (Spark, #2.1)
  • Burning Fate (Moonburner Cycle, #0.5)
  • Project Gemini (The Mission League, #2)
  • Radio (Vinyl #2)
  • Lumine
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
Jamie loves strategy games, home-grown berries, and Texas winters. She's terrified of plot holes and red wasps.

Her husband is her manly cowboy astronaut muse. They live between Austin and the cattle ranch, where their hyperactive spawnling and wolfpack can run free.

The Sentinel Trilogy (4 books)
  • Sentinel (The Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Arbiter (The Sentinel Trilogy, #2)
  • Sage (The Sentinel Trilogy, #3)
“The whole world is dangerous. That's why I'm going to learn self-defense.” 0 likes