Start by marking “Gray Hawk of Terrapin” as Want to Read:
Gray Hawk of Terrapin

Gray Hawk of Terrapin

Gray Hawk of Terrapin is a heart-wrenching Y/A fantasy by Moss Whelan that introduces Melanie (Mool) Fraser.

Ever since her father’s death, Mool has been talking with an imaginary green lion named Inberl. When Mool’s mysterious uncle gets sick, she and her mother take the train from Vancouver, Canada to the inner world of Terrapin, where Inberl is arrested because he’s look
Published January 23rd 2018 by Prodigy Gold Books

To ask other readers questions about Gray Hawk of Terrapin, please sign up.
Stacy I just finished this... there was a bit of violence but not extreme or gory. Absolutely no sexual content. I would be completely ok with my children r…moreI just finished this... there was a bit of violence but not extreme or gory. Absolutely no sexual content. I would be completely ok with my children reading this (and I am picky).(less)

Start your review of Gray Hawk of Terrapin
Jasmine
Psst, you could win a copy of the book HERE: http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/disp...

***Actual rating: 4.5/5 Living Dreams Stars***

”There’s a place. Inside. Between dream and imagination. Called Terrapin. Most people don’t believe in it, so it is difficult to find. Except for children, old people, and artists. Most people can only visit Terrapin three times. But you are special. You may come and go as you please.”

For starters, Gray Hawk of Terrapin is a brilliantly written fanta
Masooma
Apr 21, 2018 added it
Recommended to Masooma by: Jasmine
With all due respect for the author, I had to drop this book. Not because there's something wrong with the novel but because it just wasn't my cup of tea. I realized that I wasn't able to connect with the kid character and the storyline wasn't the one that I'd normally enjoy. This wasn't because there was something incorrect with the prose but because I don't easily feel any connection with characters that are children. In short, children stories aren't for me. The storyline felt like it generou ...more
Stacy
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book very much! Worlds of fantasy, stepping through unseen doors and crossing magical bridges and encountering fantastical creatures-- it was a tale that as a child I would have adored and read again and again.
Mool lives in Vancouver, but her father has been dead since she was small and she has never had really any friends except for an imaginary green lion named Inbrel and two talking mice names Robert and Pierre. Her mother has received word that she must go to help take care
Mike
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free copy.
How to start... The book isn't perfect. But the thing is, some aspects of this story deserve 6 stars, so I evened the things out to a 5 start rating.

The imagination here is fantastic. We have key scenes that grab you by the neck and lovable characters. suspense, suspense, suspense. Moss makes a point of putting things upside down. One expression compares someone to a corner that backed into a cat. NOT a cat backed into the corner, but the opposite. This kind of
Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher

This book starts off a bit slow but it quickly picks up when Mool’s adventure starts.

My feelings about the main character, Mool fluctuated a lot. At first, I liked her then, she started acting mean and I didn’t like her again then she reverted to her former self and I adored her. I’ve never felt so conflicted about a character before. She could actually be very nice and loyal and sometimes, very mean. She was a very interesting person.

Her cou
Jamal Lewis
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really no words can impress how express I am with this book. You read that right. Without giving any of Moss' grand quotes and twisted narration, I tried and failed (I'm sure) to write like the author. This is a must-read for fantasy readers that want to be transported to a new land. Terrapin, the place where Mool is taken along with her pal Inberl, is really a new and cool place. A creative place readers will want to go. There's mystery, a kidnapping, and rescue. I simply enjoyed this and will ...more
Lauren Sapala
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m a lifelong fan of Alice in Wonderland, so it’s maybe not that surprising that I totally fell in love with this book. But, I can also say with certainty that even those unfamiliar with Alice will be charmed by Gray Hawk of Terrapin. This is one of those stories where you start out with the intention of only reading a chapter or two, and then you find yourself hours later still curled up on the sofa, book in hand.

Our main character is Mool, an adolescent girl with a wildly creative imaginatio
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer – I got a copy from the Publisher. Does not affect my review in anyway.)

Review: I did have some trouble keeping track of what was going on. With the main character having a big mind for imagining things, sometimes you had to really work at what was in her mind and what was reality in that world. It wasn’t that big of an issue, you got used to it after awhile.

Overall I liked the book it was very unique, also very fast paced which made it a quick read. The un-friendship (read the book
Ana Harvey
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grey Hawk of Terrapin" is a fantastic story of adventure, bravery, and friendship told from the point of view of a stubborn and imaginative girl. Although the storyline and some characters are sometimes reminiscent of Alice's adventures in Wonderland, the world of Terrapin is unique and creative. Moss Whelan created several worlds and magical characters that are sure to delight children. As an adult, I struggled with some of the nonsense dialogue and the frequent descriptions of pinching the air ...more
Clarence Martens
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful page turner, with wonderful word plays and fantastic imagery. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to reading more in this series!
TTWII Books
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute phenomenal new world. Moss did a great job building Terrapin. Definitely, a must read.
Holly
Aug 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

(Please note: I received a free e-book copy from the publisher)

"The fever dream of a madman."

TL;DR – I couldn’t sum this book up for you if you held a gun to my head – I literally have no idea what happened.

RAGDOLL RATING: 0/5 BUTTONS

Why I read it…

I was asked by the publisher if I would like to read and review this book, and I wasn’t about to turn that down. It sounded good in the synopsis so it seemed like a safe bet.

The Story…

A girl with an overactive im
Jenny Gaitskell
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
This YA fantasy is an absolute delight, filled with wonder and delicious language. One for my inspiration shelf.

Melanie Fraser (Mool to her friends) has a vibrant imaginary life, with a brilliant cast of imaginary friends. She is also curious, disobedient, and resourceful. When her Mum takes her home to the city of Perlox, between dream and imagination, Mool quickly gets herself into bother. As the boundaries between real and imagined blur, she and her unfriend Olga unravel puzzles and intrigues
Mv
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read/listened to by this author.
The publisher’s summary is good. This book is reminiscent of the movie Alice through the Looking Glass. I like the silly nonsensical stuff. I did however wonder why a girl that talks to so many imaginary things had a hard time believing Terrapin and the things in it were possible. I’d think a girl like her would have been full of wonder and relief this world existed.

This is the first book I’ve listened to by this narrator and I would
Bikram
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobookboom
Disclaimer.
I had requested and received audible version of this book for free from the publisher, in exchange for an unbiased review.

What I liked about the book -
I'm 25+ year old adult and yet, I loved listening to this fantastical story, which is probably targeted towards very young listeners. Well, I still love to watch Tom & Jerry, so I guess there's no age when these stories stop being fun.

I loved the magical world the author built in this book and the endearing characters too. It's a memor
Erin Grey
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching tale.

Beautiful and wildly imaginative tale for children and tweens, but especially for adults who might have missed out on childhood or experienced loss. Sweet, whimsical, and sometimes painful, but bursting with hope and the promise of something better.
L. Brown
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Mool is a cool young lady and this book is sure to delight children. The prose and esposition were fantastic and had a cute wordiness.
Ansate
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: er, kids, fantasy, ebook
I love the use of languages - lots of little jokes throughout, and with our protagonist mostly aware of them. [return][return]I would have loved a little more explanation of the world, a little more explanation of what was going on, a little more adults being useful. or magical creatures being useful. a little too much of a bounced around ball instead of a quest.
Audrey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book. A great choice for younger readers. A riveting fantasy.

This book will appeal to readers who enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

*I received a copy of this book for free. The review is my own, honest and unsolicited.
Jude Gwynaire
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, well-written story, full of enchanting ideas. Moss is a great writer. Read the book in one setting! Highly recommended!
Don hinds
Aug 04, 2018
Story Blogger
May 17, 2018

• Destiny Revealed
  • Ace of Hart (Hart of Darkness, #1)
  • Project Terror
Moss Whelan (1968) born in Vancouver, British Columbia, is the Canadian author of Gray Hawk of Terrapin published on January the 12th, 2018. He is an English Literature Bachelor of Arts, a Creative Writing Associate, and possesses a Diploma in Writing for Film, Television, and Interactive Media. He is active in the online Fantasy community and teaches Creative Writing. His work depicts a return to ...more

News & Interviews