Start by marking “A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise” as Want to Read:
A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise

A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise

A Pride and Prejudice Variation.
When Mrs. Bennet discovers all her worse nightmares are about to come true, she does not react the way her family expects. Instead the normally silly woman takes matters into her own hands and gives marching orders to her daughters.
Will they follow them to the letter? Will any of them find their happy ending? Just remember, the secret to a
Published September 15th 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise

Start your review of A Beneficial, If Unwilling, Compromise
wosedwew
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Politeness is the art of choosing among one's real thoughts. ~ Abel Stevens

The Beneficial Compromise in the title involves Darcy and Elizabeth. But surprisingly, the emotional growth in this story doesn’t involve ODC as much as it does Bingley and Jane as well as Papa Bennet and Mama Bennet.

Our story starts with Mrs. Bennet snooping in her husband’s bookroom and discovering a frightening letter. She immediately gathers her daughters and issues instructions for finalizing marriages for three of h
Sheila Majczan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Bennet, you've done it now! Her husband has surprised her by not informing her of Collins' arrival until he is almost upon them so she is nervous about what else he might be keeping hidden until the last minute. Thinking that there is now something else going on from his behavior she goes through the letters, notes, etc. on his desk and is startled with one which seems to announce doom. She quickly gathers her daughters and commands immediate action that night at the Netherfield Ball. Howev ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What If Mrs. Bennet’s Compromise Scheme Went an Unexpected Direction?

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation

TIME FRAME: The day of the Netherfield Ball through the following weeks

SYNOPSIS:

Desperate times call for desperate measures! Fearful for the future, Mrs. Bennet revises her matchmaking plans for her daughters. Even though there is a strong inclination between Mr. Bingley and Jane, she gives Jane orders to be caught in a compromising position with a different gentleman at t
Leslie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a unique P&P what if that begins the day of the Netherfield Ball Mrs Bennet observes her husband's behavior and decides to search his book room for info; she reaches a justified but incorrect conclusion and transforms from a silly, vapid, vulgar woman to a silly, vulgar general launching her troops to save their fate by ending the evening engaged. Jane show herself to be both dutiful and bitchy while Lizzy is taken by surprise by Mr. Darcy and betrothed.

Important point here if you want a
Jenny
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, jaff, jaff-2018
This story starts the night of the Netherfield Ball. Mrs Bennet finds a letter in Mr Bennet's study and believes he is dying. In response, she tells Jane to compromise Darcy and Elizabeth to compromise Bingley. Neither want this, but on the night Jane puts the plan into action, forcing Mr Darcy to take action to secure his choice of bride.

I really loved the first part of this book. The situation with Darcy and Elizabeth unfolds beautifully and I loved how she learns to read his facial expression
Madenna U
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Pride and Prejudice variation fulfilled so many of my "dreams". Jane becomes almost as snarky as Elizabeth. Mr & Mrs Bennet get a great back story. There is a a good reason Mr. Bennet spends so much time in his study. Kitty and Lydia are reigned in. Evil in the forms of Wickham, Lady Catherine, and Caroline are dealt with. Darcy and Elizabeth are able to find their shared love in a much shorter time by TALKING to each other. Bingley takes ownership for himself. There is so much more and I d ...more
Talia
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There was a lot to love in the book. Charles and Jane, mean-Jane makes an appearance which is always a good thing, Darcy is lovely, E is the best, Mrs B-yes!, Mr B with Mr W-such fun! Loved it.

Reread: Still think this a fun one!

Reread: Yes, still great!
Elizabeth Hossenlopp
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting Pride and Prejudice variation. While the plot had Darcy and Elizabeth, it played out to be more about Jane and Bingley. Very enjoyable.
Gail Frisby
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book

I liked the story and Darcy and Lizzy getting together early in the story. Caroline got just what she deserved so did Wickham.
Erika
A cute, but short story

Bronwen Chisholm has again proven that she has a love and affinity for P&P and its beloved characters. In this tale, Ms Chisholm allows for Mrs Bennet to interpreting behaviors of her husband and resolving to do an amateur investigation in which she takes things into her own hands and totally botches everything up. It really is a comedy of errors!!! Mrs Bennet feels her worries are coming to fruition and decides who is to be matched up with whom. Where I get totally ass ba
Elin Eriksen
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny and romantic story with a lot of surprises.

Enters at the day of the Netherfield ball. Mrs Bennet has sneak-peaked at a letter on Mr Bennet's desk and is certain he is dying. Instead of panicking, cold calculation sets in as she appraises her daughters on who to compromise at the ball. Some of the gentlemen involved have other ideas though...

The ball does not go according to plan as Jane makes an excessive amount of trips to the punch bowl. The effect lead to several surprises and Bingley w
Judy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great way to compromise!

The story starts out with Mrs. Bennett snooping and coming to the wrong conclusions. I had not thought the events that would follow would make me laugh. Thanks you for that! The plot is serious and makes the Bennett daughters look at themselves and begins a series of changes that benefit the entire family, with Lydia being the only hold out. I liked the character development, and of course the happy ending. I would have given it 5 stars if the story was longer. I wanted
Zenna Liber Scovel
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, more development for Jane and Bingley.

Entertaining story. Moved well and several laugh out loud moments. Interesting growth journeys for several characters.I liked the focus shift, being not always from Darcy and Elizabeth’s perspective, seeing things from others perspectives was nice. A nice little back story for Mrs Bennett really added a missing dimension for her. Jane lets go and Bingley grows a backbone. I would read this again and also offer it as a suggestion.
Anita
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A compromise gone awry with a HEA

Mrs. Bennet reads a letter to Mr. Bennet that seems to indicate he is dying. As a result, she encourages Jane and Elizabeth to compromise Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley, but with the wrong daughter matches with the wrong man. And so the story begins with lots a laughter, some misunderstandings, and a HEA for both couples.

I really enjoyed the authors portrayal of Jane - much stronger and more like Elizabeth. And Mr Bennett’s character was hilarious is a Dey humor type o
Susan  Ferkany
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun!

Great alternative premise, with the same happy outcome. Nice development of our favorite characters with a little twist. Predictable but not boring. Good, clean writing and editing. That in itself makes the reading a pleasure.
Shauna
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice

I'd probably give it three and a half stars, but no real complaints. It was fun to read about Jane forcing Huntley to be a man.
Michelle Snow
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff-2019
A few swoonworthy moments for Darcy.
S.C. Lehman
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
More Jane than Litzy

While the story is well told and has numerous, enjoyable twists and turns, it is more a story of Jane and Bingley coming together than Lizzy and Darcy (my personal preference). In that way, the synopsis was misleading. This is the only reason for the 3 vs. 4 star review.
Overall, it was a nice correction of ALL of JA's characters' multiple missteps. Although at times, the author seemed a little severe on a couple.
Beautiful backstory on Mrs. Bennett and a delightful rendition
Mary Lou
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this on the FanFiction site BeyondAusten. I enjoyed the overall storyline Mrs. Bennet is a bit more anxious then normal and tries to force Jane to compromise Darcy and Elizabeth to compromise Bingley. Jane tries to do as told despite it breaking her heart and Elizabeth sacrifices herself to protect the sister she loves. It was an interesting entangled story but I lost a bit of context waiting for the new chapters to be released on the site. Excited to re-read it in book format.
Michelle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm.

Darcy fell in love too fast. HATED Jane. HATED Charles. Lydia, ugh! Mrs. Bennet was more annoying than usual. I just wanted to find ish the book so I could move on to something else.
Michelle
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Lovely

An interesting variation of author Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice. Rather different storyline than usual but still enjoyed it.
Dawn
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-austen
This book was not what I expected as it had very little D & E. The focus was on Bingley and Jane, more Bingley than Jane. It was an enjoyable story, but the characters were not very believable in my opinion. I find Darcy's actions at the ball totally out of character for him. A person who has always avoided being manipulated suddenly walks right into a compromise? I understand he did have an attraction to Elizabeth at that time, but he was no where near the point offering for her so I just strug ...more
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everyone is put in check

I'm glad I read this book. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. What I loved the most about this variation was the amount of times I caught myself saying, "about time." I found myself going back to read that section over again because I couldn't believe it actually took place and so early in the story.
What I liked was 1) Darcy came to an understanding with Elizabeth early on. 2) Darcy laid down the law. No one was going to talk and about the woman he loved. 3)
William Hovey
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
An Enjoyable Perspective on Compromise

The circumstances leading to the compromise were unexpected and occurred early. That indicated the rest of the story would also have surprises, and it did not disappoint. The characters were just different enough to provide a very enjoyable story.

**Spoiler Alert** Mama B. was most determined to force Jane to compromise Darcy, and that set the scenario for the misunderstandings that followed. Darcy and Elizabeth reached a tentative accord very quickly, someth
Meegan Wright
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Eh

It’s not bad per se but it seemed every other paragraph someone was “surprised” or their “eyes opened wide”. I forced myself to finish it soon could write this review. Then characters did things out of character with little explanation as to why they are completely different characters to the original. Just eh.
Marie
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff, ku
Not our typical character depictions
I quite enjoyed this change in the way some of our usual favorites were portrayed. I liked how Bingley had to change for Jane, and how Jane found her voice, even if she was in her cups the first time she makes her grievances known to Bingley. Mr. Bennet was great in this story as well, and Mrs. Bennet’s part in this variation in the beginning made for a nice change in one not-so-typical. I do enjoy this author.
Anyta Noor

• A Better Understanding: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Events at Branxbourne
  • A Fine Joke
  • Hypothetically Married: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Bronwen Chisholm was raised in Central Pennsylvania, the youngest of four sisters. Though she was not introduced to Jane Austen's work until later in life, she grew up reading the Bronte sisters, Gone With the Wind, and other classics as well as watching vintage Hollywood movies. Her love of books and literature almost led her to a career as a librarian. Instead, life and love carried her to Virgi ...more

News & Interviews