Start by marking “Beasts at Bedtime: Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children’s Literature” as Want to Read:
Beasts at Bedtime: Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children’s Literature

Beasts at Bedtime: Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children’s Literature

Talking lions, philosophical bears, very hungry caterpillars, wise spiders, altruistic trees, companionable moles, urbane elephants: this is the magnificent menagerie that delights our children at bedtime. Within the entertaining pages of many children’s books, however, also lie profound teachings about the natural world that can help children develop an educated and ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by University of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Beasts at Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beasts at Bedtime

Start your review of Beasts at Bedtime: Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children’s Literature
Navi
This is a fascinating exploration of environmental wisdom in children literature. It is beautifully written and is accessible to the general reader.

Liam Heneghan is a zoologist whose passion and love for the natural world truly shines through in the text. He argues that most, if not all, children's stories have an environmental component that young readers can learn from. Parents and educators are provided with an arsenal of tools that they can use to promote environmental literacy in young
Ann T
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you University of Chicago Press and Netgalley for this ARC in return for my honest review.

I was interested in this book initially thinking it would offer bedtime stories for our family. I was mistaken, however the book I did receive was a well researched, lovingly compiled selection of storytelling and the environment elements contained within.

As the author states it is “complex knowledge contained in seemingly sparse storytelling”.

The author, a Zoologist, recollects childhood books
Nostalgia Reader
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Immense amounts of children’s literature is set in or around nature, and this book highlights both the obvious and the hidden links to nature that abound in this genre of books.

It was interesting to read about literature from a scientists point of view. Heneghan doesn’t just take a scientific and ecological look at the stories, but also a philosophical-meets-scientific look, which makes for some less than direct assumptions and conclusions in many of the essays. But overall, the
Clare O'Beara
I have to think the author is mainly writing for himself. Quite a lot of this academic book is taken up by his recollections of books, outdoors or tales, while another large chunk is filled by reciting the plots of stories, including spoilers, from Peter Rabbit to Hunger Games, Doctor Doolittle to A Wizard of Earthsea.

In between we get some analysis of the story and the environment or animals it contains. In a chapter on islands, the whole chapter is geography on the differing types of islands.
Richard Engling
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of Liam Heneghan's book, Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children's Literature, makes it sound like a weighty academic tome. And it certainly does advance intelligent insights about environmental themes in children's books. However, Beasts at Bedtime is also regularly spiced with engaging digressions, such as how a disastrous encounter with a Peter Rabbit ballet on the author's tenth birthday led to the raucous viewing of a violent Bruce Lee movie on his eleventh. Heneghan is ...more
Emily
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book! While it's technically an academic book, and you can see the author doing all the academic due diligence - advancing an argument, reviewing the literature, scattering footnotes here and there - you can tell he's really here to talk lovingly about the things he loves. So it's full of stories about his children, his own childhood, his various homes and the natural places (real and fictional) that have called to him.

It left me feeling alternately nostalgic about some
Kore
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not only was the writing superb and at times poetic, the author’s in-depth knowledge of the natural world helped unearth, the sometimes hidden and sometimes obvious, environmental themes in children’s classic literature. It was both moving and motivating and made me wish I had the time to go back and re read many of those stories that filled my childhood days.
I would highly recommend this book.
Stephanie Tom
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: college
One of the best (creative?) nonfiction books / literary criticisms (or theory?) books I've ever read. I felt a great wave of nostalgia for childhood after reading this book. Also major props because it was a major source for the term paper in my Nature & Culture class this semester. I enjoyed reading this a lot.
Naomi Toftness
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was less about children's literature and more about the author's upbringing in Ireland. I feel as though a great opportunity was lost
Virginia Douglas
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beasts at Bedtime was my bedtime reading recently, and every night I drifted off to sleep with new images in my head! Intriguing subject matter, worthy reflections and beautifully written, this book opens your eyes wider to tales you thought you knew. What will Liam Heneghan write next? Whatever it is, I'll want to read it.
Suzy
Mar 09, 2018
Shifra
Mar 12, 2018
Liam Heneghan
Mar 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Fabrizzio

• Allowed to Grow Old: Portraits of Elderly Animals from Farm Sanctuaries
  • Lessons from the Light: What We Can Learn from the NearDeath Experience
  • The Rediscovery of North America
  • The Creeping
  • A Computer Called Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Helped Put America on the Moon
Liam Heneghan is an ecosystem ecologist working at DePaul University, where he is a professor of Environmental Science and Studies and co-director of DePaul University’s Institute for Nature and Culture. His research has included studies on the impact of acid rain on soil foodwebs in Europe, and inter-biome comparisons of decomposition and nutrient dynamics in forested ecosystems in North America ...more