Start by marking “Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)” as Want to Read:
Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)

Thirteen

(Eddie Flynn #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  14,499 ratings  ·  2,533 reviews
The serial killer isn't on trial.

He's on the jury...

They were Hollywood's hottest power couple. They had the world at their feet. Now one of them is dead and Hollywood star Robert Solomon is charged with the brutal murder of his beautiful wife.

This is the celebrity murder trial of the century and the defence want one man on their team: con artist turned lawyer Eddie Flynn.
Published January 30th 2018 by Orion (first published January 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen, please sign up.
McKenzie Allyshia I just picked up this book without realizing that it was a series and I had no issues with it. I loved it! I am, however, looking forward to reading…moreI just picked up this book without realizing that it was a series and I had no issues with it. I loved it! I am, however, looking forward to reading the other books now. (less)
Jan I also found it too graphic. Gratuitously graphic in my opinion. For me it obscured the clever premise and mystery.

·  14,499 ratings  ·  2,533 reviews

Start your review of Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
Maureen
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As legal thrillers go, it doesn't get much better than Steve Cavanagh's Thirteen!

It also doesn't get much weirder! An ex conman as a defence lawyer? and a serial killer on the jury! But this was such a gripping read - the tension was unbearable at times. The characters were cleverly brought to life with a storyline that was not only intense, but oh so clever. The twists came thick and fast towards the end, reaching dizzying heights, and made it impossible to put the book down. I've read some
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five Clever Stars

The Serial Killer Isn't On Trial.
He 's on the jury.

Bobby Solomon is a movie star who is up on a murder charge. His wife and security guard were found dead and Bobby is charged with the crime. Eddie Flynn is a lawyer and the defense team wants Eddie on their team because he is a con artist and a very good lawyer. Eddie Flynn decides to help Bobby since he feels that he is innocent and he takes the case. Kane, the serial killer, makes his way into the jury.
He is crazy and he is
Meredith
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A brilliant con artist goes head to head with a brilliant serial killer. Who will win in the end?

Eddie Flynn, a former con artist turned lawyer, is put in the spotlight when he takes on the case of a Hollywood actor accused of murdering his wife and bodyguard. The evidence is damning, but Eddie believes in his client's innocence and will do what it takes to win the case.

Joshua Kane, a serial killer with a unique ability, plots his way onto the Hollywood murder jury. He has a vested interest in
Kaceey
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
The premise for this book was absolutely ingenious! A typical murder trial is getting underway. Did I say typical? Only if you think that having a certified serial killer on the jury is normal!
Are you kidding me! Gimme, Gimme! I had to read this one!

Bobby Solomon is Hollywood’s latest and greatest heartthrob who finds himself on trial for the murder of his wife and security man. And of course he swears he’s innocent!

Eddie Flynn is an independent lawyer with a reputation for thinking outside
jessica
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
courtroom drama is the best kind of drama and thats a fact.

and what do you get when a serial killer is sitting on the jury to judge a crime that he actually committed? you get drama. lots and lots of entertainingly suspenseful drama.

i cant even begin to describe how clever and unique this story is. and you know, im not a lawyer but my mother always said i could be a great one because of much i like to talk back, so eddie flynn is a man i can relate to. the amount of times i was impressed with
Dita
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars...ALL OF THE STARS!

In a market saturated with legal thrillers, Thirteen needs its own category! This concept was brilliant and the execution superb. I could not put it down.

Thirteen is the 4th book in the Eddie Flynn series but works as a stand alone. (I have not read the others...yet.) Eddie is an ex-con turned lawyer who goes toe to toe in a battle of wits with a serial killer who wrangles his way onto a jury. This book is so clever, so intriguing, so filled with red herrings and
Kylie D
Wow, what a ride this was. I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it into the small hours! I picked this book up as I'd seen several good reviews of it from friends and I'm so glad I did.

This is the fourth book in the Eddie Flynn series, though it's the first one I've read, and it works perfectly well as a standalone. Eddie, former conman turned lawyer, is asked to work on the case of Hollywood star Bobby Solomon, who is standing trial for murdering his wife and his head of security. Yet
Holly  B
4.5 STARS

Buddy Read With Nicki from The Secret Library Blog!

THE SERIAL KILLER ISN'T ON TRIAL.

HE'S ON THE JURY...

When I read this teaser on the cover, I immediately wanted to read it and find out how a serial killer got a seat on the jury and how this show would play out!

This is #4 in this popular series and now I know why. This worked just fine as a stand-alone. I was easily pulled into the story with the super suspenseful beginning and questions quickly started swirling around in my thoughts.

Paromjit
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve Cavanagh writes top notch adrenaline fuelled legal thrillers with his charismatic defence lawyer, ex-con artist Eddie Flynn, set in New York and this is his best one yet. Eddie has been hoping to get back together with his wife, Christine, and his beloved daughter, Amy, which his defence work in the past has placed in grave danger, leading to their separation. He thinks he has it finally worked out as he plans for a safe and secure legal career with Rudy Carp, where he has been co-opted ...more
Susanne  Strong
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4 Stars.

What happens when a Serial Killer finagles his way onto a Jury? Let’s call it what it is: One Wild Ride!

Celebrity Movie Star Robert Soloman has been convicted of murdering his wife Ariella Bloom and her lover, though he swears he’s innocent.

Former con artist, Eddie Flynn is now a lawyer. Hired to represent Bobby Soloman he quickly realizes that the guy is in fact, innocent even though the evidence makes it appear as though the guy is guilty as sin. How to prove it? Now that’s the
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
4.5 Brilliantly Executed Stars!

You guys this was like an episode of Criminal Minds and Law & Order all rolled into one but on steroids!!! What a wild ride and I loved everything about it!

Lawyer Eddie Flynn is working the celebrity murder trial of the century. Evidence points to Bobby's guilt, but as the trial begins so do a series of sinister incidents that can't be ignored.

Maybe the serial killer isn't on trial,
maybe he's on the jury...

Cavanagh spins such a clever tale here. He traps
Berit☀️✨
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-physical, 2019
The serial killer is not on trial, he’s on the jury!

WOW! This book reeled me in! Hook! Line! Sinker! Move over Mickey Haller there is a new man in town and his name is Eddie Flynn! I loved everything about this legal thriller. It had a bit of a Michael Connelly/ John Grisham vibe to it, and that is a huge compliment coming from me they’re two of my favorites. This is the third book in this series, but it can absolutely be read as a standalone. I have not read the prior books and I had no
Dita
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars...ALL OF THE STARS!

Thirteen is the 4th book in the Eddie Flynn series but works as a stand alone. Eddie is an ex-con turned lawyer who goes toe to toe in a battle of brains with a serial killer who wrangles his way onto a jury. This book is so clever, so intriguing, so filled with red herrings and brilliant misdirection that I
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: At ten after five on a raw December afternoon, Joshua Kane lay on a cardboard bed outside the Criminal Courts Building in Manhattan and thought about killing a man. Not just any man. he was thinking about someone in particular. it was true that Kane had, at times, while on the subway or watching passers-by, occasionally thought about killing a nameless, random New Yorker who happened to fall into his line of vision. It could be the blonde secretary reading a romance novel on the K ...more
Carole
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh is the fourth entry in the Eddie Flynn series. However, it reads well as a standalone. This novel defies definition: it is a murder mystery, a legal thriller, a psychological drama. Eddie Flynn is a criminal defense attorney whose client is Robert Solomon, a famous actor accused of murdering his wife and her lover. It soon becomes apparent that Solomon is innocent but the evidence is against him. However, who committed the brutal murders and why was Solomon so expertly ...more
Beata
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first encounter with Eddie Flynn was as enjoyable as I had expected after reading some reviews by my GR Friends. Yes, the Author had a fiendish idea to have a serial killer act as one of the jurors. And an ex-conman as a lawyer! This is a good legal thriller that will be appreciated by the fans of this genre. I gave four stars for the incricate intrigue that had me reading whenever time allowed.
Sumit RK
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Serial Killer Isn't on Trial. He's on the Jury.

Thirteen is the fourth book in the Eddie Flynn series but it can be read as standalone. This is my first book of the series and I surely regret not reading the first 3 books of the series. As a part legal and a part psychological thriller, the author has combined the best of both genres to create a mystery thriller par excellence.

Hollywood star Robert Solomon is charged with the brutal murder of his beautiful wife. This is the celebrity
Liz
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What a great premise! What if the murderer is on the jury? You’ve got dual story lines here, both equally engaging. In the first, a serial murderer is determined to get on the jury of a murder trial so he can get the defendant convicted. Flip side, a lawyer is picked to be second chair on the defense side of the same murder trial.

I hadn’t realized this was the fourth in a series. Cavanagh gives you enough background that it’s easy to read this as a stand alone.

This isn't believable but it’s
Carolyn
I love a good courtroom drama and this is an excellent one! It dragged me right in with that dramatic tagline on the cover that tells us that 'The serial killer isn't on trial. HE'S ON THE JURY' and kept me guessing as to who he could be right up to the end.

This is the fourth novel in this series lawyer-writer Steve Cavanagh featuring defense lawyer Eddie Flynn. It also works well as a stand alone novel without that feeling that you should have read the earlier episodes. Eddie Flynn is a great
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading Thirteen on 4/26/2019 and finished it on 4/30/2019 at 12:53am. This book is a fantastic read! I love the two point of views with the lawyer and the killer. I love that both main characters are smart and knowledgeable as well as the supporting characters. I love learning that the career choice of being a defense lawyer can be life threatening and could potentially break up a family. I like that there are definitions and detailed explanations to courtroom actions, such as what a ...more
Monica
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
Amazing book!! I was truly riveted from the start to the finish. Court drama is not always my cup of tea - I sometimes find the dialog boring and slow - but this covered so many other categories! Lots of mystery, thrilling moments and, surprisingly, action.

I had not read the earlier books in the Eddie Flynn series but I was so captivated by his character I will definitely look for them. Without those prior books, I still had no trouble following the story or becoming attached to his rogue
Dem
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller-crime
An entertaining and fast paced crime novel but you need to seriously suspend disbelief when reading this one.

The celebrity murder trial of the century, Hollywood’s biggest star Robert Solomon is charged with murdering his wife and all the evidence points to Robert’s guilt, but as the trial begins a series of sinister incidents in the court room start to raise doubts in the mind of lawyer Eddie Flynn.

. The Serial Killer isn’t on trial. He’s on the Jury.

I was intrigued by the above line and
Kayla Dawn
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I think my expectations were waaaay to high for this.

I mean, the premise sounds incredibly intriguing and I also enjoyed the beginning of the book a lot.
And I generally really enjoy stuff about trials.

But I feel like the further we got to the end, the more boring the story got. Not much seemed to happen and the "twist" at the end was super predictable to me. The characters also felt less and less interesting.

So, strong beginning, week ending. Overall a mediocre book.
Linda
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
He's closer than you think.....

So close that even the judge can stare into his baby blues.

Aloof, detached.....but crazily part of the jury. He knows the details of the murders because he was there.

Eddie Flynn is a defense lawyer with a checkered past. Haven't met ol' Eddie before in the first three books in this series, but got to know him just fine in this one. Eddie doesn't always play by the rules. He's got more tricks up his sleeve than MacDonald's sells burgers. Complicated guy whose own
Katie B
I normally wouldn't jump into the middle of a series but I had been hearing such good things about this one I decided to take the plunge without reading the previous novels first. Thankfully, this book can easily be read as a standalone novel. I was quite impressed with this legal thriller and wouldn't mind going back and reading the other books as Eddie Flynn is an intriguing character.

The rave reviews and the premise for this one are really what sold me. Instead of the killer being on trial,
Gabby
Holy crap. I’m not sure what I was expecting going into this book - but this was one wild ride of a story. We follows two POV’s one of them is from a serial killer Kane, and the other is from a lawyer Eddie Flynn. There’s a huge murder trial happening, this young famous actor gets accused of murdering his wife and the head of their security.

Let’s get the negatives out of the way first: it took me over 100 pages to get into this book. This book is 400 pages long so it took some time for me to
Lisa
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-fiction
A CON ARTIST VS A SERIAL KILLER WHO WILL COME OUT ON TOP!!
Eddie Flynn a former con artist takes on a case involving a high profile hollywood actor, Joshua Kane a bad ass serial killer gets on the jury as he has a vested interest in the case.

This is rather a crazy legal serial killer thriller that will make your head explode, this is the 4th book in the series but you can read it as a stand alone, but i want to know more about Eddie Flynn so will go back to book 1 further down the track.

You are
Monika Sadowski
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness this book is so intense there’s not one page left without a twist or action. Standing ovation for author Steve Cavanagh to come up with all these ideas how to surprise a reader. I didn’t want this book to end.
Two POV‘s, one is an attorney Eddie Flynn and second is a serial killer Joshua Kane. Trial murder is about to start for a famous actor Bobby Solomon and Kane is one of the jurors. Unbelievable courtroom drama and investigation the same time.
Definitely I have to check other
Phrynne
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
I do not really enjoy courtroom dramas, but this one is a courtroom with a difference - the defence lawyer is Eddie Flynn.

I have not read any books in this series before so I was not familiar with Eddie and his methods, but I quickly came to enjoy him very much indeed. He has very strong personal beliefs in fairness and justice but is always ready to use a con in court if it will lead him to the right end. He is also very smart.

Almost as smart as the murderer who is not even being tried but has
The Book Review Café
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legal-thriller
loved, loved Thirteen, with an unique plot, fabulous characters and a thrilling storyline I was hooked from the word go. Despite it being the fourth book in the series it can be read as a standalone, but if you choose to read it first then like me I bet you buy the previous books in the series way before you reach the final page. Although a legal thriller it has so many elements that make this book special, with more than an hint of crime and suspense mixed in, Steve Cavanagh has written one of ...more

• The Escape Room
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Chain
  • Elevator Pitch
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Guardians
  • The Chestnut Man
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Someone We Know
  • The Passengers
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Lock Every Door
  • The Murder List
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Institute
Steve Cavanagh was born and raised in Belfast before leaving for Dublin at the age of eighteen to study Law. He currently practices civil rights law and has been involved in several high profile cases. Selected for the Amazon Rising Stars programme 2015. ACES award winner 2015 from the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. The Defence is his debut novel.

Follow on twitter @SSCav

Eddie Flynn (5 books)
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • The Plea (Eddie Flynn, #2)
  • The Liar (Eddie Flynn #3)
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
“The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.” 11 likes
“You don’t need a bomb to win this case. You’ve already got one—I’m the bomb.” 0 likes