Start by marking “Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)

Quantum Space

(Quantum #1)

This is an alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B06ZY9T5Y5.

If you liked the authenticity of The Martian, the page-turning pace of Da Vinci Code, and the inspirational world view of Arthur C. Clarke, you'll love Quantum Space.

High above the windswept plains of Kazakhstan, three astronauts on board a Russian Soyuz capsule begin their reentry. A strange shimmer in the atmosphere
Published April 10th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Quantum Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum Space

Start your review of Quantum Space (Quantum, #1)
Bill Krieger

Science! The thing that stands out in this book is its focus on real science. Quantum Space puts the science in science fiction. (marketing, ha!)

A lot of Quantum Space is pretty typical for a sci-fi book. It's characters are pretty flat. Human interaction, meh. That isn't the emphasis here. The plot and the writing are okay. The plot is interesting, but I kept waiting for the suspense and action to slip into a higher gear, and it never really happens.

Author Douglas Phillips is definitely a nerd
Ctgt
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good science thriller and although I know next to nothing about quantum physics/mechanics it was still an enjoyable read. Author ends by explaining what is fact based and what he pulled out of his imagination.

7/10

David Firmage
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
One of those books that comes out of nowhere having not heard of the author or book. I was engrossed in this Sci-fi mystery/thriller and I thought the science was beautifully explained.
Elizabeth Bone
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Began hopeless, Ending with applause

I am usually suspicious of books by authors I don't know something about. Time is precious, you know. But Doug Phillips invited me to this story and sustained my interest, completely. Marvelous storytelling! I've been reading science fiction since 1974, when a friend convinced me to read Dune. It is my preferred genre. Thanks for the adventure! I'll be back.
Walter T. Mara
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvelous book

This was undoubtedly the most mind boggling science fiction book I have ever read. I could not put it down.
Alexander Temerev
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, but occasionally scientifically inaccurate and cliché-ridden. Still, a nice piece of nerd prose.
O.S. Prime
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Intrepid male investigator - see most any Dan Brown novel - works with multiple women in different capacities attempting to solve a mystery. The author may have intended to showcase women in roles of leadership and technical prowess, but fails to bring those women to life. The most well drawn is a genius physicist, programming mage, black, beautiful, with ballet training, who hangs on nearly every word of the hero investigator. For his part, he's attractive to women, but doesn't know it.

Our hero
Alex Drozd
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My reaction to it reminds me of The Gods Themselves by Asimov. I just graduated with a degree in physics and really enjoyed what the author did with the current knowledge of today. I haven't read any hard sci-fi like this in a while. A lot of it either doesn't imagine enough beyond what we already know, or it it's more about using engineering terminology. This book, though, was appropriately categorized as such. I loved the concept of expanding the extra spatial dimensions of string theory to co ...more
Dmitry
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice nerdy Sci Fi. Worse than Martian, though.

Book structure heavily reminded me Dan Brown (and I am not a fan, to put it mildly -- not after reading Digital Fortress), where there is a single (and single, as in "not married") male protagonist and multiple females who are mostly there to show how cool the male protagonist is and to allow him to explain at length this and that throughout the book. However, explanations are not lengthy and not condescending, the book is easy to read and sciency bi
Jorge Bustíos
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Balanced Sci-fi

It's not easy to find find a Sci-fi book that balances the two parts of the genre. Usually they mostly focus on the fiction and action sides and leave the reader scratching for the few crumbs of science offered in the plot. While some people would prefer the action/fantasy packed cases, I absolutely go for those that provide science divulgation as well. This is absolutely one of the latter. I enjoyed this book from the first page and I do highly recommend it. Embed
Beth Lemon
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting story until I read the afterward and discovered that almost all of the science in it, and there's a lot of science, is real. Then it was fascinating! Despite having the feel of fantasy this book is based on a lot of truth, which makes it so much cooler! It did delve into some unproven theories, but it was so interesting to read! I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in science and it's possibilities.
Randy Gardner
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
One of the best SciFi books I have read in a while. Based in real science with plausible speculation. I must confess that I am a big follower of Quantum Mechanics and have spent time at Fermi Labs west of Chicago. Have always been fascinated with Neutrinos.
Susan Loomis
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Puts the Science back in science fiction

This book is not a fantasy that is labeled incorrectly as Science fiction. It is true Science fiction. I can't wait for the next thrilling book in this series.
H.G. Chambers
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Intriguing Sci-fi Mystery - 4.5 stars

Dr. Daniel Rice is a government science investigator, brought in on a mission to investigate the mysterious disappearance of the Soyuz, a capsule transporting astronauts from the International Space Station, back down to earth.

With his partner, Marie Kendrick, a NASA operations analyst, Daniel begins an investigation that has them pondering the very real existence of additional quantum dimensions. What they discover will have consequences not only for the
Teodora Nikolova
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I have some mixed feelings about this book. It really has a great idea. I loved the science fiction behind it. In the end of the book there is a chapter explaining which parts of the book are actual existing science and which the fiction and a lot was real which is super cool but.... the characters were so flat and unrealistic... It felt like someone has just went to the author and told him that he will give him a super cool sci-fi idea for a book but only if he promises to describe it by using ...more
Lloyd Hill
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great story. I know a little about Quantum physics, but Mr. Phillips explain it so just anyone could follow along with the book. It was a hard book to put down, and I finished it in two days. I hadn't read the author before this book, but I just started on another of his writings, [transport] and look forward to the sequel to
quantum. Give it a try I think you will enjoy it.
Jeffrey Kuchma
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a great job of meshing science with science fiction. It’s one of this books I wasn’t so sure about in the first hundred pages, but it picked up after that. Some of the quantum physics explanation dragged on a bit. The author does a nice job in the prologue of discerning the fact from fiction, and providing some explanation of how it fit in the story.. All in all a good read.
Ted Vibbert
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I saw all the stars on this book and decided to give it a go. The story is set near future and the author uses very believable science as the basis of the sci-fi. Enjoyed it and will start the sequel now.
Rajkumar Pagey
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, science-fiction
Science Fiction at its best.

The writing is reminiscent of Arthur C Clark.
Also, the book involves so much actual science that in a weird way this feels more thrilling than if it was pure speculation.

Will definitely read book 2.
Jen
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved all the science. And the author's notes at the end are fantastic.

Good story, too! Well told by Kirby Heyborne, who is always amazing.
Pegwinn
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you don’t know what Fermi’s Paradox is you need to read the book. The entire book answers the question of why we have not be contacted by Aliens when mathmatically its’ almost certain we are not alone. The Science in SciFi is good. While there are a few curse words the book is safe for younger readers. The hero is intellectual with a hint of masculine and the heroines are both smart first and hot second. I’ll definitly read the second book.
Eric Larson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

Great book, story moves quickly and the science stuff is the perfect amount of detail. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Tamara Salonich
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stretch your ability to conceptualize until your brain hurts (just a little).

I enjoy real science mixed in with my fiction. It makes it much easier to suspend belief and ride along with the characters. The author does a great job here. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure he created. He also seems to have a great respect for the multiple perspectives of most of his characters. It shows in how he doesn't just rely on the blunt, bludgeoning of his characters into the standard underdeveloped percepti
Jeffrey Oliver
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! ... Mostly

As a born scientist, I truly enjoyed this book. There is rarely an author that can deal with something as complex as quantum physics while also telling a compelling story; perhaps Doug can be added to Asimov and Clarke, in a decade or two.

My only minor criticism is the tired trope of the "evil capitalist corporation", although it would make the book more attractive as a Hollywood screenplay, I'm sure.

Regardless, I'm anxiously awaiting further tomes from this very balanced a
Pat Dant
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very enjoyable read as a hard science fiction and first contact novel.
Greg Inman
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I have truly enjoyed reading this book make's you Wonder and keeps your interest up and makes your want more ! I highly recommend.
Henri
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard sci-fi > any other sci-fi

I think books like this one should be mandatory reading in schools.
I'm sure glad there's more books in this series.
Maggie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

Douglas Phillip's speculations on an interstellar community accompanied by our invitation to join it .is a fascinating and enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to the next book in this intriguing series.
Lee Lemoine
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Well written story with engaging characters and a great story line. Can't wait till the next installment in t series.
Tony
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Private corporations are evil and the federal government is the embodiment off all that is good and just in the world. if only we could,do away with corporations all would be right in the world. If you believe that than you will be able to enjoy this 'one dimensional' mystery. I was 10% into the book when I predicted the obvious villain.
Sci-fi Women: Free download today - August 10 1 36 Aug 10, 2017 08:18AM

• Oracle
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Veracity
  • Time Frame (Split Second, #2)
  • Seeker
  • Augmented
  • 3zekiel
  • Entanglement (The Belt #1)
  • Extinction Crisis
  • Anomaly
  • Paradox - On the Brink of Eternity
  • BrainWeb
  • Amped
Douglas Phillips is the author of the Quantum Series, a set of four science fiction thrillers set in the fascinating world of particle physics, where bizarre is an everyday thing. The pace is quick, and each chapter is designed to leave the reader reeling - and anxious to find out what happens next. http://douglasphillipsbooks.com/

Doug has two science degrees, has designed and written predictive c

Quantum (5 books)
  • Quantum Void (Quantum, #2)
  • Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
  • The Quantum Series: Box Set Books 1 - 3