Start by marking “Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship” as Want to Read:
Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship

Published October 10th 2017 by Bowyer & Bow

To ask other readers questions about Holy Roar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Roar

Mallory
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
I got this book from the library after hearing Darren speak a message about the seven words of worship during Chris Tomlin's recent concert stop in Baltimore. The book is a good introduction to this concept, especially if you have never heard of the different Hebrew words for praise before. I thought it might be a stretch for small groups to get a full study out of the discussion questions that are included after each chapter, but it is nice if you want to take time a dig a little deeper into ea ...more
Anna
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was assigned for worship team members at my church, including the tech team (like me). According to this book, there is only one way to truly praise the Lord: with your hands in the air and at the top of your lungs. I disagree. This should be an interesting discussion.
Tammy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great short read on seven Holy words of worship. Darren Whitehead and Chris Tomlin do a fantastic job in looking at these words and discussing briefly how they can be incorporated into your worship. Chris then looks at several of his songs and discusses how they also incorporate these holy words. Short but enlightening read
Ronald Scheese
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High Praise for Holy Roar

My good friend Steve asked Katherine and I to join him to hear Chris Tomlin in concert this past Fall. During the worship performance, as a sort of intermission for the band, Chris introduced his Pastor Darren Whitehead. The result was my introduction to the book Holy Roar.

A powerful message is now a powerful book. In the Hebrew language, there are seven different words which mean Praise. Pastor Whitehead examines each and unpacks the Scriptures in a way which I had neve
A.C. Cuddy
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“What does it mean to praise God? In the ancient world something extraordinary happened when God’s people gathered to worship him. It was more than just singing; it was a declaration, a proclamation, a time to fully embody praise to God for who he is, and what he has done. In fact, in the Psalms, there are seven Hebrew words that are translated into the English word “praise,” each of which represents a different aspect of what it means to truly praise God.

In Holy Roar, Chris Tomlin and Darren Wh
David Steele
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chris Tomlin has become somewhat of a household name in recent years. His worship songs have circled the globe and are songs in languages from every tribe and nation. I will never forget sitting with a group of college students in an Eastern block country. I was the only participant that did not speak a lick of Russian. These students belted out song after song in their heart language – and I didn’t understand a thing. But twenty minutes into the service, this group of joyful worshippers began t ...more
Jessie Young
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a simple book about how God wants us to worship. It’s not at all what we want or our preferences. We need to learn what God wants and do that. This book helps every reader, the new Christian, the teenager or preteen, the seasoned Christian and everyone in between, understand the words for praise used in the Bible and what they tell us about how God desires to be worshipped. The simplicity of the book makes it powerful. It’s not super deeply theological. It’s easy to understand and super app ...more
Corinna
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our worship leader and myself went to Worship Together 2018 in Franklin, Tennessee. We had the opportunity to hear Pr. Whitehead speak on the seven words of praise. We then bought the book, brought it home, and went through it together as a worship team.

Similar to the word "love" having four different meanings in Hebrew, "praise" has seven meanings in the original Hebrew.

Understanding this has helped our worship team take our own personal worship experiences to a new level- I think, leading ou
Lindsey
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read. It does deal with Hebrew word translation but is in no way scholarly work. As a worship leader, I appreciated this book. There are essentially three parts to each chapter. You have the meat of the book- the seven words with descriptions and stories to bring that concept to life. Then you have a “behind the scenes” look into a Chris Tomlin song as it relates to the chapter subject. I found both of those aspects inspiring and interesting. Then you have a study guide sect ...more
Create With Joy
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
In their new book Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship, world renown worship leader Chris Tomlin and pastor Darren Whitehead expand our understanding of what it means to come into the presence of God with praise and thanksgiving by introducing us to 7 Hebrew words that are translated as "praise" in our English Bibles, but have a distinct meaning in the Hebrew language.

Through story-telling, the exploration of contemporary worship songs, Bible verses to explore, and questions t
Beverly Duell-Moore
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I've read it three times! I will be reading it many more times! This is a book that I think that all churches should be doing a study on. I'm going to learn more about the different ways to praise our savior. There are a couple I'm already doing but, I want to be doing all the ones that mentioned in the book.

Chris Tomlin and Darren Whitehead did an excellent job of explaining the different ways to worship. They also did explained in an easy to understand way. It wa
MGMaudlin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book grew out of intriguing sermon By Darren Whitehead on the seven Hebrew words that are translated as "praise" in the Old Testament, explaining the meaning of each one and its distinctive contribution to how we understand worship. The sermon was later supplemented by Chris Tomlin's short reflections on one of his songs, but in book form it remains mostly the original sermon with little nuance or explanation of the words' original meaning among the Israelites. Very light.
Michelle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this book I was able to listen to Chris Tomlin's new album which is intertwined with this story. This is a very short book that is written from two different perspectives. I thought that was an interesting way to write this book as you do have to keep track of whose chapter you are reading. I thought this book shed some light on some of the backstory of the new album. There are different ways to worship and my favorite word discussed in this tiny book is Barak which means: To kne ...more
Lance
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, but solid and meaningful

Holy Roar peels back the linguistic film to help us understand a little better the nuances of true praise and worship. It deals with some basic Hebrew words and serves as an encouragement to bring us back to the posture for which we were created - kneeling, transfixed (bârak), eyes on Jesus, offering our spontaneous hâlal to the One who deserves it.
Alexia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at a Chris Tomlin concert in my area last month. Pastor Darren Whitehead preached on the 7 Hebrew words for the English word praise, That sermon impacted me so much, I am so happy I get to enjoy the sermon again.
My favorite part of this book is the stories behind some of Chris' songs.
Chris McGrath
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great little inspirational book. It's very short, and could comprise the worship and sermon time in a church service, but in its brevity it gets right to the point and gives context to Biblical worship that will probably be totally new to most Christians who can't read Hebrew. Definitely worth a read.
Emily Knight
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and Inspiring

This book will forever affect the way I approach worship. It is helpful on a practical level, as it provides an understanding of the seven Hebrew words translated as “praise” in English Bibles. The stories included are inspiring as well.
Sean Doherty
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super simple and super revelational to understanding worship. I’ve always in a way understood these words but the way they are written brought them to life. I also liked the correlation to current worship songs, it really helped remember the words.
Rebecca Garon
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Kept my attention and taught me something to get me thinking deeper about the way I worship so I believe the goal of this little book was thoroughly met. I loved what both of the authors brought to each word to connect them to life now.
Bev
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book I needed to read and take notes with! I really enjoyed reading it! I learned a lot about praise words and the way we can/should worship! I also enjoyed reading about what was behind the writing of some of Chris Tomlin’s songs.
Lacey
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like Worship Night Across America!

I recommend attending one of Chris Tomlin's Worship Nights so you can hear the sermon (and music) in person. But if you can't, this book is just as informative.
Misty Harper-anderson
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a Seminary student who is currently taking Hebrew, this was right up my alley. As a worship leader who has always appreciated Chris Tomlin’s music, I found myself with even greater admiration and respect for him as a song writer. Well done, gentlemen!
Bobby Jones
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read exploring 7 Hebrew words translated "praise" but each having it's own unique expression. I used it as a 7 day devotion on worship. Simple insights that are easy to incorporate to my daily worship!
Donnicia
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Gave me a whole new view of what it means to Praise God!!!!
Sara
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Insightful and inspiring.
Arianna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE

I loved the style of the book, the truth of the book and it was a very easy read. I can’t wait for the study guide to be released!!!
Michelle
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand and written in a conversational tone, this book helped me to dig deep and more fully appreciate praise and worship. Highly recommended.
Russell Henderson
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: worship
Great teaching, simple and easy to understand on the 7 Hebrew words for "praise". I recommend this for anyone working in music ministry.
Debbie Smith
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Discover the Hebrew words and their meaning for the word "praise". All ways we can praise the Lord.
Christopher Armstrong
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book op opened my mind up to a new level of worship. Using the 7 words for praise Chris and Darren explain how we can come to God and worship Him with our whole being.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
With 12 albums, 16 #1 radio singles, a Grammy Award, 21 Dove Awards, and two platinum and five gold albums to his credit, Chris Tomlin is among the most well-known and influential artists in music. His songs include “How Great Is Our God,” “Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone),” “Our God,” and most recently, “Good Good Father,” to name a few. It is estimated that each week 20–30 million people sing ...more
“Is there any more natural expression of excitement, wonder, or awe than raising your hands?” 0 likes
“Yâdâh is not constrained to a particular time in history. Instead, the people of God will yâdâh for all eternity. Forever and ever.” 0 likes