Start by marking “Monster Mess!” as Want to Read:

Monster Mess!

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews

Crash, crash!

Stomp, stomp!

A tired monster goes up the stairs.
But

zzzz, zzzz,

a boy is sound asleep. And

ick, ick,

his room is not so neat --
not neat enough for a monster to take a nap! So

whishtt, whishtt,

the monster starts to clean.

Published August 5th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Monster Mess!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Mess!

Morgan
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
A monster makes his way through a house at night time. He find a room that is very messy and decides to clean it up. When morning comes a young boy awakes to find a sleeping monster on his floor. Fun ensues.
Katie
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Zzzz, zzzz the little boy is sleeping; tiptoe, tiptoe, around the house the monster creeps! He creeps, crashes, stomps and bangs throughout the house, but do not fear, he's after the smelly shoes and socks, the messy toys and blocks! With its nice rhythm and onomatopoeia, this book will encourage all little monsters to clean up their messes!
Susan
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Mock Caldecott. Just found it strange. A monster cleans up a boy's room while he sleeps...at first it is supposed to be unclear that he is helping...but perhaps a big bad monster since he is making lots of scary noises. Oh no! The boy is waking up...but it's ok because he is friends with the monster.
Tricia
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Monster is tired. He creeps around at night but not for the reason one may suspect...he cleans! Apparently he, like many human creatures, has difficulty falling asleep unless the room is clean! Will either mesmerize or terrorize my 3s at OR this month. :)
Brenda Cregor
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
There was a time that a "monster" [ a pillowcase with a face painted on it] used to come and pick up any toys that our children left out.

20 years later, they would probably read this book and have PTSD flashbacks.
Tabatha
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was really fun to read, and lots of drama so its great for the end of storytime. The ending is kind of so so and that is really my only dissapointment. All in all it kept the attention of the tots and I would definitly use this again.
Dolly
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with children
A fun book about monsters and cleaning up your room. A perfect combination for reading aloud with children, complete with lots of silly onomatopoeia and a rhythmic, rhyming narrative. We've borrowed this one a couple of times.
Renee
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK
A very clean monster tidies up a child’s room during the night. The text uses words that can be acted out like ‘stomp, stomp, climb up the kitchen stairs.’
Meghan
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
An action packed read-aloud with bright illustrations and fun and snappy language.
Amanda
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I may be slow, but I don't really get it.
Elizabeth
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-jp
I liked the art, but not the story.
Mariah Christensen
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the piece by piece introduction of the monster, all his hands/feet, and the unusual actions of the monster.
Nick
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
In this book a monster cleans up a mess of a boy while he sleeps. I didn't quite understand the story because the monster just plays with the boy at the end.
Marcie
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Melanie's current book obsession!
Anj
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my husband's favorite books to read.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are really fun and it's a neat story of a monster actually cleaning up a little boy's mess! Has some onomatopoeia in too.
Rosa Cline
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
This is more of a picture book than a storybook. Simple sentence on each page, with a monster being sleepy and creeping through the house to find a bed to sleep in. Not scary but nicely written.
Angela
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting take on the monster under the bed. He cleans the room so he can lie down. The boy's alarm clock rouses them both...
Friendly, helpful.
Rachel
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Piu, piu what smelly socks & shoes!" My three year old thought this book was hilarious. A sweet, albeit clumsy monster who cleans a little boy's room at night.
Paula
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderful illustrations and great sounds can make this book a great read for story time.
A monster sneaks into a boy's room and cleans up while the boy is asleep.
Christine Turner
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: monsters
A monster sneaks into a boy's room and cleans up while the boy is asleep. www.hcpl.net
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a bit on the fence with my feelings about this one (in regards to its usage in a story time setting). But it might be fun to count the monsters legs...
The Library Lady
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Can Margery Cuyler please send this monster to my house to clean my 13 year old's room? :D
A.C. Paige
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
The premise was funny, but I wanted the monster to look more like a monster and less like a bug
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
"monster under the bed, bedtime, monster cleans bedroom during the night then tickles boy next morning"
Katie Marra
Jan 28, 2015
Cassie
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more
More about Margery Cuyler...