Start by marking “The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)

The Desperate Quest

(Second Age of Retha #2)

Chronicles of Retha was meant to be a full submersion video game filled with adventure and magic…but it has become a prison.

Kit and her party of misfit players have managed to collect two of the four seals that are required to face Malignus—Retha’s ultimate villain whose defeat may be the only way out of the game. Unfortunately for Kit—who is stuck playing as a defective
Published September 14th 2017

Goth Gone Grey
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable sequel, looking forward to more

I enjoyed the first book in this series for the silliness - a lead character of an elf dancer that hates her character stuck in game and unable to escape - as is everyone else on the server.

I read the first book a few months so, so the brief recap at the beginning was appreciated but not overdone. The reference to Kit's elf ears first was an amusing homage to Legolas, but soon grew tired from repetition.

The first half of the book seemed slow, a gradual
Lexie
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Both this and The Luckless made me realize something kind of important - MMORPGs always sound like a lot of fun to me, but I don't think I'd survive in them.

THE DESPERATE QUEST is the continuation of Kitten Lovemuch (aka Kit) and her band of sometimes merry, but mostly cheerfully bickering band of fellows as they try to find a way to log out of EC. I found it fascinating to watch as Kit layered strategy after strategy on to defeat monsters and bosses above their various levels. She kept dying, a
K.J. Simmill
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kit had not logged into Chronicles of Retha since her old guild, Milk Crown, was disbanded. Her cousin Bruce, as a joke hacked her account, creating the most ridiculous character, a dancer elf, and ensured her reputation was hated and shunned by all factions. It may have been funny, if not for a corruption error that occurred on the server trapping her and hundreds of others in game. She has been told of a means to log out, the completion if an epic world storyline, but with her ridiculous appea ...more
Ariel
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Finally getting around to writing a review for this one! I really don't know where to start. You know how there are those authors that, as soon as they finish a new book, you buy it immediately? This author, K.M. Shea (or A.M. Sohma) is one of those for me. Seriously, I barely read the book description, it's just an automatic download thing for me. It's been amazing watching her grow as an author with each book she writes. Her Second Age of Retha series is a deviation from her usual fairy t ...more
Kurt
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, if you have read the first book (and I'm assuming you have, because what reason would you have to jump into a series at part 2?), then I expect you are here to find out if the series takes a nose-dive in the second book, or if it's worth continuing on with Kit's adventure. The short answer is, yes, it is absolutely worth continuing, so pick up book 2! And if, for some reason, you find yourself in possession of this book, but haven't read the first, it does take a little time to summarize p ...more
Nina
It ended...and I was not happy. Because it ended. Moaning aside, I really liked this book. A.M Sohma/her other identity has done it again--produced a wonderful book that is clean, entertaining, and an adventure to read. I love Kit (of course) and Vic (a girl after my own heart), and all the other characters. The world-building is still wonderful, the plot is still interesting, and I am still amazed that AM Sohma can have so many different stories/story lines in her head at one time, and that she ...more
Jemma
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basically the same review as the previous book ;)

I know quite a few people are saying that these books don't really seem to have real stakes, but I think this one becomes quite gripping at times so... It probably depends on how engaged you are in the book.

I will be quite disappointed though if K.M. Shea (A.M. Sohma whatever) leaves half the cast out of the next book though. I think it'd start to fall flat without them.

Anyway, good stuff. Fun quick read
Lexie Reads
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disappointing heterosexual.
Sorry, but it was. I really liked it apart from that, the growth of characters and how the rest of the community were finally starting to listen.
Solus Miles was there, and he grew on me by not being a utter prat this time. A little slow about who Kit was (Come on man! Use your head!), but equally determined to help the group level up and lend a helping hand.
Kit's skills continued to be hilarious, and just picturing her bouncing and spinning while everyone else fights f
Sarah P
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Luckless was a pretty decent first book to this series and introduction to the LitRPG genre for me, so I knew I wanted to find out how the quest Kit and all our characters are on, continued. I think this second installment was much better (ie more exciting/ easier for me to get into) than the first, possibly because we are jumping back into a world we are now familiar with (Retha, Kit and her followers, how everything works etc), from the groundwork laid in book 1. We pick up right where we ...more
Jessie
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kit and her new friends are still stuck in the video game, Chronicles of Retha. This is one book where you really do need to read the series in order. Book 1, The Luckless, leaves the characters halfway through with their quest to defeat Malignus. The Desperate Quest picks up where Luckless left off, finishing this quest.

I loved: Kit's sense of humor and snark, getting to know Solus Miles, and watching the ways that Kit and her team could work together to outsmart the game against all odds. I ha
Wolkenfels
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kyle
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, the characters are well developed, and the world of Retha is incredibly interesting. Rather than having a middle book slump in the series, the amount of action picks up, while the plot progresses naturally. The author's gaming tactical sense, hilarious sense of humor, and complex character dynamics will ensure that I will read this book time and time again.

Minor Spoiler below

I called "Salted Caramel" setting sail.
That is what our book club has named the ship of C
Jassa
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Part 2 of book 1 basically as this picks up right where one finished or...close enough. We get to see more of Solus, who I greatly like, but do not want to. He is the possible love interest due to him being indirectly "married" (I am calling it marriage no matter what people say!) to Kit. The reason I don't want to get attached is that they are in a game and they are trying to get out and those feelings can make things happen. I'm not giving any spoilers, however at the same time, I would also k ...more
Viviane
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I read it rather too fast for my liking, but I couldn't stop! I was surprised by many a twist and laughed out loud more than once.
A great plot with really nicely developed characters. Not just the main, but also the sides. Many a moment to make a gamer chuckle, but being a gamer is most certainly not a requirement for enjoying these books. The world, the adventure and the foibles of its characters make it relatable and lovable, opening up a genre I hadn't really dived into bef
Everlaine (BookCaptain)
The second book in the Second Age of Retha was even better than the first one. It took all that was great with the first book and added more of it, which was exactly what I wanted. The same cast is back and they add some more characters to their crew that I liked just as much, there is a little more Solus Miles (although still not enough), the world is expanded upon and the plot make some real progress (something I've found is semi rare in litrpg).

The book ends on a real cliffhanger and I'm exc
Tayllor
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing series!!!!

I've read all of your books written as K.M. Shea at least 5 times and I love them all! I was really excited to read this new series and once again you've hooked me! The action and a touch of romance is awesome. The suspense is killing me I can't wait for the next books! Lol I'll probably reread these a couple time until they come out. I completely recommend anyone to read this series!
Naomi Berrios
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good

I've been reading through this author's books for a few weeks. I left this for last, really hesitating on it. Didn't seem like my style. But loving the author I thought I'd give it a try. I loved it. Very cool concept of being fully submerged in an online rpg game. I'm sad she's not going to be able to continue the series for a while so I'm be sad and impatiently waiting after I'm all caught up.
Kariane O'Keefe
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#2 is great

I’ve been enjoying this series so much more than I thought I would. I’m not much of a gamer, but I don’t feel that I need to be in order to follow along with the story. Kit and her party are so much fun to read about. There is a good mix of adventure and humor and the story moves along at a good pace.

Looking forward to the next book.
Chandi
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

As a reader, it makes you empathetic to Kit’s and her group’s plight. More friendships and relationships are developed, making it to be a group that you’d want to be with if stuck in a similar game. Love the story plot and noble intentions of Kit and friends as she uses whatever she has to her advantages to help their quest along.
Rebecca Lane
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loving it, and anxious for books 3 & 4

Now i know why i loved these books, they're by one of my favorite authors K. M Shea. If you watched the anime Swort Art Online, you'll love these books. Great humor, listening to Kit curse efficiently makes me laugh every time. Really great storyline.
Fides Mabanta
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, officially one of my top favorite authors now!

If you love clean + clever + charismatic adventure/fantasy w/ strong (and NOT annoying!) female leads, read this series and the author's fairytale retellings NOW! I. Love. These. Books!

Thank you for writing them the way you do, K.M. Shea!!!!
Amy Cookie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Serious must-read!!! This is such a fun and incredible book and series! With some ADORABLE clean romance, plenty of action and adventure, and lots of hilarious situations, this book is something everyone should read!!!
Christi-Anne
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down- K..er... A.M. Sohma has done it again! It's a book that tells an amazingly captivating story, full of action and suspense and humour and fun... I can't wait for the next one!
I totally recommend it.
Clean! (romance, violence, language- all clean)
Stephani Austin
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! So excited the next one is coming out soon! I really don’t want to wait! I appreciate the interplay among the characters as well as the epic ness of the quest. The closure as well as the next quest at the end was a nice touch!
Katie
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't play RPG's but I still found this book to be a fun, engaging read. Similar to many funny light fantasy stories I've enjoyed in the past. I enjoyed the changing team dynamics, and the setting descriptions. Desperate Quest ended on a satisfying high note with just a hint of what is in store in the next novel.
Noranna R. Billings
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

I couldn't stop reading and I hope the next book is out! Not a dull moment and it totally drew me in - very vivid pictures of the the world so that I really felt like I was there.
Jenny Koch
Never thought I'd like this genre but this series is pretty fun so far.
Desiree Jacobson
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and great

Clean, fun, great characters, and overall enjoyable. I loved the configuration of the story, and am excited for the rest of the series.
Lydia Edgar
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So funny! Loved these two books, can't wait for the next to come out!!!!
Katy Bear
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of my favorite books ever. I am so happy Kitty branched out this genre. It has been amazing to read my favorite authors work set in one of my favorite things:Video games.

• Fortress of Shadows (Stonehaven League, #2)
  • Goblins Wear Suits (The Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center, #2)
  • Seed (The Dire Saga, #2)
  • Anvil of Tears (The Reforged, #1)
  • The Legendary Inge
  • Daughter of Lies: A Reimagining of Snow White (The Andari Chronicles Book 5)
  • Rosie of Triblue (Eldentimber, #3.5)
  • Inescapable Arsenal (Full Metal Superhero #3)
  • An Inconvenient Princess: A Retelling of Rapunzel (Entwined Tales, #6)
Author by day, but a hunter (or very frazzled cleric) by night, A. M. Sohma is a lover of books, video games, and sweet armor sets. She aims to write entertaining stories with relatable characters, and spends her days lurking in libraries or wasting time on the internet.

If you want to waste time with her, find her at amsohma.com!

Second Age of Retha (3 books)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
“I am made for glory—not fun.” 0 likes