Start by marking “Pies from Nowhere: How Georgia Gilmore Sustained the Montgomery Bus Boycott” as Want to Read:
Pies from Nowhere: How Georgia Gilmore Sustained the Montgomery Bus Boycott

Pies from Nowhere: How Georgia Gilmore Sustained the Montgomery Bus Boycott

Georgia Gilmore was a cook at the National Lunch Company in Montgomery, Alabama. When the bus boycotts broke out in Montgomery after Rosa Parks was arrested, Georgia knew just what to do. She organized a group of women who cooked and baked to fund-raise for gas and cars to help sustain the boycott. Called the Club from Nowhere, Georgia was the only person who knew who bake ...more
Published November 6th 2018 by Little Bee

To ask other readers questions about Pies from Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pies from Nowhere

Start your review of Pies from Nowhere: How Georgia Gilmore Sustained the Montgomery Bus Boycott
Jon Nakapalau
The bus boycotts in Montgomery were a hard time for lots of people who took a stand when Rosa Parks was arrested for just wanting a seat on a bus. Georgia Gilmore and a group of women started cooking to fund-raise in support of the boycott. This unsung hero will help children understand that everyone can stand up to injustice and help support others.
Christina Carter
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: This is a review of an advance reader copy. The book releases on November 6th, 2018

When I think about the Montgomery Bus Boycott, I naturally think of Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and more recently, I now also think of Claudette Colvin who had also refused to give up her seat on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama. I know about her because of Phillip Hoose's book, Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice.

I appreciate the power of nonfiction text to teach us, and Dee Romito's latest b
Angela
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Such a clear, lovely, accessible book about one of the "foot soldiers" of the Civil Rights Movement. This is a great reminder that it wasn't just people like MLK and Rosa Parks, but hundreds of women and men who walked, cooked, gave, and fought for their rights and freedom. And it will help inspire kids who don't want to be in the spotlight, but still want to make a difference for causes they believe in. You don't have to make speeches - you can feed the people, and that is just as important.
Amanda
"You cannot be afraid if you want to accomplish anything. You got to have the willing, the spirit, and above all, you got to have the get-up." ~Georgia Gilmore

We are given talents and choices in life, what we do with those (both small and great) can determine our path. Georgia's path took a mighty direction through her open heart, her determination, her discretion, and her gifts for cooking and baking.
Kirsten
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect Black History Month read-aloud, and draws much-needed attention to the work of women in the civil rights movement.
Laura Harrison
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just adore Pies From Nowhere...fascinating read with truly unique and warm illustrations. Completely under most ppls radar, I believe it could be a 2019 award winner.
Barbara
Civil rights books are filled with the amazing stories of many individuals who made contributions to the Movement, but this picture book tells a story with which most students and historians will not be familiar. While those who took a stand and spoke out and urged the citizens of Montgomery, Alabama to stay off those buses back in 1955 and 1956 were important, there were others working behind the scenes to help make that bus boycott a success. This picture book tells the story of Georgia Gilmor ...more
Suzanne
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and engaging book that introduces children to a little known (outside of Montgomery, Alabama) figure in the fight for Civil Rights. The illustrations are dynamic, rich and realistic. The colors saturate each page and the text brings them to life. Dee Romito is clearly devoted to the topic and the tale of Georgia Gilmore, Rosa Parks, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Montgomery Bus Boycott is conveyed through a window of realism and truth. Very well done and highly reco ...more
Earl
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great spotlight on someone who played a role during a crucial period of the Civil Rights movement. I love learning about someone who I've never heard of before. It's like getting a piece of a puzzle I didn't know I was missing. I hope it inspires people that they can do practically anything they can think of to do good in the world and that they should do it. Includes an author's note and a pie recipe.
Julie Kirchner
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story about secret fighters in the Civil Rights Movement during the Montgomery Bus Boycott. I loved reading about Georgia Gilmore and her nowhere helpers helping by feeding people and gathering money to contribute to the cause during the boycott. Wonderful illustrations and powerful story.
Dion
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book about an unsung hero of the civil rights movement! This book has engaging text, and lovely illustrations, and it even includes a recipe! An excellent read.
Alice
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ala-2018
Well crafted introduction to one of the lesser known heroes of the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Civil Rights Fight.

I received this book as a galley.
Sandi Van
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and illustrated. An inspiring story of how we can all do our part to stand up for what's right!
pati
This book opened my eyes to the support people behind the bus boycott. Georgia Gilmore was truly an amazing woman!
Kate Willis
I just read this picture book at the library, and it brought tears to my eyes. THIS right here is how you change the world. I'm so glad to have discovered this historical figure. Great illustrations too. ;)
Tara Alyssa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about unsung heroes, and Georgia Gilmore’s story is wonderful. This picture book is beautifully illustrated, and it’s a great segue to learn more about her. It makes me want some good home cooking now. I wish I had the privilege to try her pies and famous macaroni and cheese. Food really does bring people together: young and old, black and white. What an inspirational story.
Air
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler)

What an amazing story! I haven't ever experienced this part of the history behind the Civil Rights Movement before and found it fascinating! This book sings the tale of the silent pushers of the movement; those behind the scenes that kept everything going, without whom the movement might have died before it accomplished all the amazing things it did! The end of the book has a great many sources for those interested in learning more about both the Nowhere Club, a
Jj
This is a book that tells a great true story in an accessible way. It would be a useful and interesting starter for a discussion with kids about food and social justice, as well as grassroots activism. It would also be a great title to include with other books and materials about pie for Pie Day (January 23), which would provide a good (sneaky) opportunity for discussion of why we hear the phrase "as American as apple pie" and what that might really mean. Oh, since that is later January... well, ...more
Joan Marie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this biography of Georgia Gilmore, a woman of will, strength, and courage who helped the Montgomery Bus Boycott succeed through her gift of fine food. How I wish I could have known her, purchased her homemade pies and lunches to raise money for "the cause" for which she and many others labored.

The Author's Note holds impressive facts not found in the text.
The bibliography provides sources for additional reading and research.
Rcltigger
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy history books that focus on the personal contribution to the historical event. Georgia Gilmore was a a cook at the National Lunch Company in Montgomery, Alabama when the bus boycott occurred. She had given up riding the bus a couple of months before because of how she was treated by bus drivers, and decided to help in the movement by forming a group of women who cooked food and sold it to raise money for the boycott. It's a great story. Highly recommended.
Douglas
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
An outstanding read for young people because it doesn't center on historical celebrities. It isn't that the famous aren't deserving of praise - it's that it's important to remember the everyday people that actively worked to change the political reality of racist America. Mother Georgia Gilmore was one of those people and the author and illustrator nailed it. Extra points for the 'Chicago Defender' reference.
Kim
Another biography about a "new to me" person. Ms. Gilmore lived in Montgomery, AL during the bus boycott and was instrumental in funding it. She created the "NOwhere Club that baked and cooked food to sell and then the profits were given to buy gas, cars, and maintenance to keep up the transportation during the boycott. After the boycott was over, she continued to sell food and she hosted many meetings, including Dr. King, President Kennedy, and Bobby Kennedy.
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love picture books that shine a light on lesser known figures in history. Georgia Gilmore aided the Montgomery bus boycott with her time and talent cooking. She organized other women to use their gifts to help this movement. This gives young folks a wonderful example of how many different ways there are to help when we see wrong in the world.
Raven Black
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The unsung heroes of a story are just as important or more so sometimes, then the ones that get their names in the history books. And Ms. Gilmore did a very important thing... she feed people. An army can't go far on an empty stomach.
KC
How pies helped the civil rights movement in Montgomery, Alabama.
Rajani LaRocca
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book about an unsung hero of the Civil Rights Movement! This book has engaging text, and lovely illustrations, and it even includes a recipe! A fascinating read.
Brian Montanaro
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspirational story about a lesser known figure of the Montgomery Bus Boycott and Civil Rights Fight!
Ruth Lehrer
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book!
Vannessa Anderson
When I opened the book the first thing I saw was a picture of a pie and it looked so good it made my stomach growl and all of the illustrations assisted in drawing me into the story.

This is a true story where we follow Georgia Gilmore from her youth when she lived on a farm in Alabama where her mother taught her how to be a humanitarian to adulthood during the turbulent time when Foundational Blacks a/k/a American Descendants of Slavery were fighting for their civil rights and Georgia’s role in
Tracie
The story of Georgia Gilmore who found a way to help during the Civil Rights movement.
« previous 1 3 next »

• There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • Little Libraries, Big Heroes
  • Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
Dee Romito’s middle grade novels, THE BFF BUCKET LIST, NO PLACE LIKE HOME, BEST. NIGHT. EVER. and POSTCARDS FROM VENICE, are available from Aladdin/Simon & Schuster, along with her debut picture book PIES FROM NOWHERE, from Little Bee Books. Watch for the FORT BUILDERS, INC. early chapter book series coming in 2020!

When she's not writing, you’re likely to find her on adventures with her husband an