Start by marking “Love and Other Words” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Words

Love and Other Words

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  39,732 ratings  ·  5,516 reviews
The story of the heart can never be unwritten.

Macy Sorensen is settling into an ambitious if emotionally tepid routine: work hard as a new pediatrics resident, plan her wedding to an older, financially secure man, keep her head down and heart tucked away.

But when she runs into Elliot Petropoulos—the first and only love of her life—the careful bubble she’s constructed b
Published April 10th 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Words, please sign up.
Eleanor Of Winterdale I thought the same thing. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I could not understand why some other reviewers saw it as Elliot cheati…more
I thought the same thing. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I could not understand why some other reviewers saw it as Elliot cheating or a mistake. Emma took advantage of him. As someone else already said, we are not given enough information to ascertain whether Emma actually knew what she was doing and despite being aware that Elliot thought she was Macy still had sex with him, or not and Emma was so drunk that she didn't remember what she did the next day.

I loved everything about the book, but I would have liked it even more if this had been addressed. Even if Elliot couldn't consciously admit to himself that he had been raped, it is obvious that he had a trauma subconsciously which is hinted at when we are told he wasn't able to be physically intimate with anyone else for a long time and when he finally did, he had a breakdown.

I felt very sorry for him, but we were not given enough time to digest this information as Macy's story of what happened afterwards was so traumatic that it kind of eclipsed it.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Tiffany
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  39,732 ratings  ·  5,516 reviews

Start your review of Love and Other Words
CristiinaReads❀
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books, favorites
➳A second chance at finding the honest truth but also, discovering the beauty of what friendship does to enhance a new romantic relationship between two soul mates...

I don't think there are enough words to describe how soul-soothing amazing the words that Christina Lauren create bring to my life. It's indeed very hard to find a novel that will not only connect with you in an entertainment kind of way, but also emotionally when it comes down to sensible topics such as second chances at findi
Meredith
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Loved Loved Loved!!! This book is pure bliss on so many levels. Not only do we have amazing characters to love, we have amazing characters who love books and words, and their favorite books and favorite words fuel their romance!

Love and Other Words is an enthralling read about friendship, first love, and broken hearts.

I am not including a summary--just read this book!

Oftentimes, I find romance novels tend to not go beyond the surface and are often just formulaic. Love and Other Words is a
Debra
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is your favorite word?

Love and Other words is a second chance love story told in alternating timelines about two people who met and fell in love while growing up and then re-met eleven years later. Macy and Elliot met during an open house when Macy found Elliot reading a book in a closet. Macy's father purchased this second home for them after his wife (Macy's mother) passed away. Macy and her father would go to their cabin home on weekends and spend their summers there. Since the day they
jessica
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
its been said that beautiful things dont ask for attention. and oh, how humbly beautiful this book was.

it was also simple, but it was an elegant simplicity. the story itself wasnt flashy; it didnt rely on gimmicks or beg for the reader to notice it. it was just a quiet story about boy and a girl who grew up to love each other.

a book like this deserves a thousand word review, but all i have to say is how grateful i am that stories like this have been written - stories that create an honest mome
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I love it, I love it, I love it!

After the frustration of “Twice in a blue moon” and “Honey don’t list”, I finally found a story to fall in love with from one of my favorite author duo! Hell, yeah! Of course “Josh &Hazel’s Guide to not dating” will always be my number book of these writers but at least I found my number two!

I loved Macy and Elliot, how grew up together, formed an amazing friendship, their love for the books, their quirkiness and common tastes and how they realized they fell
Farrah
May 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very sweet! 🤍
It's comforting to know that I can turn to a Christina Lauren book when I need to get out from under the weight of a previous upsetting read.
Berit☀️✨
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 absolutely Beautiful Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5 I loved loved loved every single word of this book.... Christina Lauren absolutely hit a homerun with this book.... A book I couldn’t put down filled with characters I absolutely adored and was rooting for....

This is a second chance love story....Elliot and Macy were one another’s first love.... The story is told in alternating time periods between their teenage years and 11 years later when they are reunited.... Macy and Elliot started out as friends bondin
KAS
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 ”When we love, we love for good.” Stars!!

Anyone remember the commercial from back in the day “When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen.”?? Well one of my best buds, Robin Hill, is my E. F. Hutton. When she recommends a book, I listen! LOL. ;) Honest to goodness, she is never wrong!!

So, of course, she recommended I read this book, and viola, I LOVED IT!!

And yes, of course, I went in blind. But I will admit, I thought it was going to be another romantic comedy, as I just finished reading “Josh an
Whitney Atkinson
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
i just finished this and it's 2 a.m. and i cried significantly

for some reason this book made it to the list of books i've owned the longest that I haven't yet read. I think it's because I heard that it's not CL's best work and it's more character-based than smutty, but this still flew by and as mentioned, it made me weep by the end. it's been so long since i've read a good romance book that im just out here mourning my lack of an elliot.
Drey
4.25 Stars!

... A timeless love telltale.

I like to read romance stories because of these books. The one that you have no other choice but to say, "I have no other words. I just loved it!"

Note: This is a friends to lovers, second chance romance.

Love and Other Words is an inspiration. It didn't handle some major themes like most of the second chances I've read. But I so much loved it. I deeply felt every emotion the story wants to convey. This book has the power to move. Absolutely impactful.
alluring B ❄︎ (hiatus mode)
"𝑳𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆."
𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒃𝒆𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏.

1𝐬𝐭 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝, 10.12.2018 : 4.75🌟
𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝, 2019 : 4.75🌟
𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝, 2019 : 5+🌟
𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝, 2020 : 5+🌟
𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝, 2020 : 5 ⭐️

before i start with the review, i just want make something clear— i breathe, eat, sneeze, sleep, and shit for this book so i’m here to warn you that i will deadass come for you if i see any *hate* specifically on Elliot and Macey.

hahaha i’m kidding!

ⁿᵒᵗ

⚠︎︎ i strongly discourage any of you to pick this up IF
Warda
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite reads this year. This book consumed me.
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this. All I wanted was to read a story written by Christina Lauren.
This is not your typical lighthearted novel that we are used to and this duo tends to write. It deals with loss and grief, first love and heartbreak and how much these things can break you down. It got too much to read at times and had to come up for air and slow down. It was written so well, with so much heart and the story flowed
 Teodora
3.5/5 ⭐

Okay, that rating means that I am kind of pleased with the outcome of this book.

Honesty time: I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to read this book until I fall asleep. Three hours later, I finished the book and forgot all about the fact that I was, in fact, supposed to sleep.
I don't regret it though, I quite enjoyed my read!

The general atmosphere of the book was really nice. I liked many aspects of it that I will highlight below for you.

First of all, I liked how this was typical Ch
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
5 stars!

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Christina Lauren packed quite a punch with Love and Other Words. I was a complete mess when I finished it! My heart hurt, my eyes were red, and it took me a really long time to articulate my thoughts about everything I've read. I finished this in one sitting, and was just about wrecked when I read the last line. As I've said, this author duo sure knows how to pack a punch.

Alternating between the past and present, Love and Other Words tells the story of Macy So
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Limerence = The state of being infatuated with another person

My question ——- what is it called when someone is infatuated with a book?

I’m keeping this review short and sweet. Read this book. Don’t pass it by, grab it and read it. I hands down recommend this one. It’s 100% sweet, it owns you and holy crap did it control my time, I couldn’t read fast enough.

My heart, it was left on the last page of this book. I am so completely and utterly in love with this book. It captured my heart and i
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
This... is an emotional book.

I'm still not sure what to do with myself. I feel like I've had my heart torn from my chest. It's been a long time since I've actually shed tears over a book, but this did it. I didn't expect it, either. I think that made it worse.

In short, Elliot and Macy were childhood best friends. As they grew up, their slow burn head-over-heels love story was inevitable. Except, something happens (we aren't told what until the end) that breaks them apart, causing Macy to quite
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really really really really liked this one, slow burn and all! Although I will say there was a point where I felt like the love interest was forgiven WAY too easily for something that I personally would never have gotten over, but it was still really good. Christina Lauren are back to being autobuy authors for me!
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****4.5 STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Publisher}

I give myself three more seconds to look at him, and it’s like another punch to the gut. He’s my person. He’s always been my person. My best friend, my confidant, probably the love of my life. And I’ve spent the last eleven years being angry and self-righteous. But at the end of the day, he tore a hole in us, and fate ripped it wide open.

LOVE AND OTHER WORDS is by far, different from any of the previous books I have read by Christina Laure
Gabby
Yikes.... I guess I'm in the minority here with my opinion, but I did not enjoy this one. If you know me, you know I LOVE Christina Lauren, I consider them one of my favorite authors, but this book was just so meh. This is their first "women's fiction" novel, even though I don't know how this is different from a new adult romance.

This story follows Macy and Elliot, who met when they were kids. The story alternates chapters between when they were kids and now, years later when they are both adult
Irina
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
" Favorite word? he whispers.
I don't even hesitate: You. "

I always was a sucker for romance but latetly I couldn't find a story worth reading until i came upon this book.
I absolutely loved it.
The romance between the main characters was so cute, real and swoonworthy. I loved to see how their relationship developed trough out the years and the obstacles that they had to go through to be together in the end.
If you love and epic love story this is the perfect book to read.
Merphy Napier
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, adult, four-stars
maybe 3.75?

This was one of the best romances I've ever read. Friend's to lovers is my fav trope in this genre, and these characters were so sweet. Watching their story unfold in the "then" and "now" was so engaging that I couldn't put the book down. I want to reread this book soon because their stories are good. But. I didn't like the ending. It really left a sour taste in my mouth. There were parts that really connected with me and broke my heart (view spoiler)
Susanne  Strong
The Kind of Love You Desperately Want to BELIEVE In.

Best Friends. The Love of Each Other’s Lives.

The moment Macy Sorensen runs into her first love Elliot, every moment of their relationship flashes before her eyes and all of those old feelings come rushing back. It doesn’t matter that she’s now engaged to be married. No one compares to Elliot.

Even though it’s been eleven years, for Elliot, Macy has always been the one. The moment he lays eyes on her, everything changes and he knows that his
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

It’s been about two weeks since I finished reading this book and I am still having trouble wrapping my mind about how I feel about it. First off I wanted to address the genre label it’s been given of “women’s fiction”. No. Just no. This was a romance through and through. Maybe those in charge want to market CL to a new audience and that’s fine, but I’ve had friends who’ve told me they love these authors but don’t want to read this book because it’s women’s fiction. Ladies, you have noth
Corina
UPDATE: second time around as good as the first time - the FEELS are REAL!!!

___________________________________

This story is about the past and the present.

The past covers the teenage years of Macy and Elliot, and I don’t think I’ve read anything more beautiful than their story. It was absolutely tender, deeply emotional, and incredibly touching. It was beyond beautiful. A slow burn relationship between Macy and Elliot that started as friendship, and gradually became all consuming. They were eac
Heather
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-adult
4.5

This is definitely my favorite @christinalauren book I’ve ever read!
I loved the plot, the alternate timelines and the romance! Oh so swoonworthy!!!
♥️
💌
Would def recommend if your looking for something sweet, steamy & romantic!!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 .
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
5 “I’ve Loved You My Whole Life” Stars!

-It never occurred to me that love could be anything other than all-consuming. Even as a child, I knew I never wanted anything less.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Macy Sorensen is a 28 yr. old woman living in San Francisco. She works in pediatrics in critical care, and is engaged to a great guy. She lives a life she’s content with, but doesn’t ever fully invest her heart. Then a chance encounter with the guy who used to be her entire world makes her feel completely unraveled. Her per
EmBibliophile
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars

This is a case of ”The right book in the right time.”

I needed the fluff and sweetness of this book in my life more than anything. This was story about young love and how fragile it could be. A story about grief and heartbreak. A captivating second chance romance. A story about an innocent friendship that could turn into soulmates.

This book was so simple and heartwarming. This is defini
Jennifer Kyle
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

A wonderful story all except what broke this couple up in the past. It definitely seemed so very out of character and just didn't work for me.

description

So wished it never was put in the story and anything else could have occurred. The story without is a 5 star read for sure!
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4 STARS
Other people have a falling-out. What we had felt like a rupture.

I don't typically read women's fiction, unless of course it's penned by the talented duo that is Christina Lauren. Then I don't even think twice about jumping into the story. Though truth be told, while the story encompasses friendship, life and loss, the romantic element is very much at the heart of everything. So even though it wasn't the steamy romance that I'm used to from theses authors, the emotional connec
Elyse  Walters
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glad I took my turn reading this.
Macy and Elliot are both wonderful
individually - and together: Both bright - readers. Both soooo easy to LOVE!
Their inseparable relationship is a love they built first through a solid friendship.

I do think this book ought to be marketed as Young Adult fiction - rather than women’s fiction. It’s a wonderful book for young people coming of age.
And of course - many of us old farts melt with an intelligent luv-bug novel from time to time too. I admit - I did too -

• The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Shipped
  • The Ex Talk
  • Beach Read
  • The Simple Wild (Wild, #1)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Roommate
  • Meet Cute
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Hating Game
  • How to Fail at Flirting
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • This Time Next Year
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
See top shelves…
Christina Lauren is the combined pen name of long-time writing partners/best friends Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings. The coauthor duo writes both Young Adult and Adult Fiction, and together has produced seventeen New York Times bestselling novels. Their books have been translated into 30+ languages. (Some of these books have kissing. Some of these books have A LOT of kissing.)

We don't respond

Articles featuring this book

Ah yes, the allure of new love! Be prepared to be charmed, wooed, and—of course—seduced by these most popular romance novels of the past three...
“I never got to fall out of love. I just had to move on.” 54 likes
“Limerence.'

There's no other word like it. The state of being infatuated with another person.”
36 likes