Start by marking “Summers of Fire” as Want to Read:
Summers of Fire

Summers of Fire

Linda Strader is one of the first women hired on a fire crew with the U.S. Forest Service. A naïve twenty-year-old in the mid-1970s, she discovers fighting wildfires is challenging—but in a man's world, they became only one of the challenges she would face. Battling fire is exhilarating, yet exhausting; the discrimination real and sometimes in her face. Summers of Fire is ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Bedazzled Ink Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Summers of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summers of Fire

IJ
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author gave For the Southwest By the Southwest Book Corner a copy of this book to read and review. This review in no way reflects the gift of a free book.

Linda shares her experience as a young lady who wants nothing more than to be a lady who fights fires. In the 70's that was just darn right almost unheard of, so her struggle certainly was a uphill one.

Linda shares her experiences with fighting forest fires several places in Arizona and Alaska, both with the National Fire Service and the BL
Barbara Carter
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story of a woman following her dream and working at something she loved, even if it wasn’t considered a women’s job at the time. Linda was the first female firefighter at Florida Ranger Station in the Santa Rita Mountains of Southern Arizona, back in the 1970s.
Also one of the first female firefighters in the nation.
By reading this book, I learned so much about not only being a firefighter but also about being a strong woman and surviving tough times. I am not an outdoorsy person or so
Ronald Mackay
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Linda Strader Summers of Fire, Love and Courage
“What kind of a person pursues a career in fighting forest fires?” I asked myself when I came across Linda Strader’s memoir. After reading 250 fascinating pages, the conclusion I came to was, “A surprisingly normal person!”

Linda’s aspirations were clear from the time shortly after she left high school: she wanted not only to work physically outdoors but under some of the most extreme conditions known to men – or women!

This book amply lives up to its
Cheryl Eriksen
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Do you remember that feeling when you were young? The one where you could be anything you wanted, do anything, the world was yours to conquer if only you were brave enough to follow your dreams?

Linda Strader weaves one such compelling story in her memoir, Summers of Fire. While the world tells her she can't follow her dream and women don't belong on a fire crew, she joins up anyway and proves them all wrong.

Bringing us right into the fire, we feel Strader's exhaustion at the days-long battles,
Linda
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Linda Strader's story of battling fires and the firefighting establishment prove her worth as a true trailblazer in the days when it took a very bold soul to rock the boat and go after her dreams. The previous reviewers have got it covered. A wonderful story of determination, and an educational story of how the system worked in those days, as well as the day-to-day of a firefighter in the park system. Highly recommended!
Ann Barlow
rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2019
Tricia Sanders
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author's experience as the first women fire fighter for the U.S. Forest Service hit a nerve for me as I was the first woman in my field as well. Many of the experiences she had, brought back memories of the injustice of being a woman in a "man's world" but she did so with courage. Her commitment to her profession in the face of the adversity was promising. She tells three loves stories in her book, the love for her profession, the love for a man, and finally her love for h ...more
LL
May 08, 2018
Judy Kasper
Apr 16, 2019
RiversideReader
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2018