Start by marking “Summers of Fire” as Want to Read:
Summers of Fire

Summers of Fire

Linda Strader is one of the first women hired on a fire crew with the U.S. Forest Service. A naïve twenty-year-old in the mid-1970s, she discovers fighting wildfires is challenging—but in a man's world, they became only one of the challenges she would face. Battling fire is exhilarating, yet exhausting; the discrimination real and sometimes in her face. Summers of Fire is ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Bedazzled Ink Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Summers of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summers of Fire

Start your review of Summers of Fire
Barbara Carter
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story of a woman following her dream and working at something she loved, even if it wasn’t considered a women’s job at the time. Linda was the first female firefighter at Florida Ranger Station in the Santa Rita Mountains of Southern Arizona, back in the 1970s.
Also one of the first female firefighters in the nation.
By reading this book, I learned so much about not only being a firefighter but also about being a strong woman and surviving tough times. I am not an outdoorsy person or so
Valerie Poore
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received Summers of Fire as a free giveaway so I was pleased to have the time to read it over the Christmas holiday. It's a long memoir, so it took me some weeks to read it, but I found it so interesting and absorbing I enjoyed taking my time with it.

Set in the 70s at a time when women employed as forest firefighters was almost unheard of, Linda Strada showed great determination to achieve her dreams against tremendous odds. Despite their apparently friendly attitude, most of her fellow firefi
Ronald Mackay
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Linda Strader Summers of Fire, Love and Courage
“What kind of a person pursues a career in fighting forest fires?” I asked myself when I came across Linda Strader’s memoir. After reading 250 fascinating pages, the conclusion I came to was, “A surprisingly normal person!”

Linda’s aspirations were clear from the time shortly after she left high school: she wanted not only to work physically outdoors but under some of the most extreme conditions known to men – or women!

This book amply lives up to it
Robin Moody
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forget the Frying Pan

Author Linda Strader takes us into the fire with her from the first paragraphs of this book. Courage. Grit. Determination. Strength. It takes all these traits and more to be a firefighter. But Linda was more than a firefighter, she was a trailblazer leading the way into a "man's world" by becoming the first woman on a crew in 1976. This book is action packed and sizzles with adventure and romance as she shares her journey through career and love. Gritty and grimy in one scen
Cheryl L.E.
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, 2018
Do you remember that feeling when you were young? The one where you could be anything you wanted, do anything, the world was yours to conquer if only you were brave enough to follow your dreams?

Linda Strader weaves one such compelling story in her memoir, Summers of Fire. While the world tells her she can't follow her dream and women don't belong on a fire crew, she joins up anyway and proves them all wrong.

Bringing us right into the fire, we feel Strader's exhaustion at the days-long battles,
Karletta Marie
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linda's journey is inspirational in many ways. As one of the first female firefighters in the USA she shares very openly, her physical battles on the ground fighting fires. She also openly shares her own internal battles as a young woman working in a male-dominated environment.

Linda's story is a story that gets you to think. She gives us a greater understanding of what women face (still face) in male-dominated industries today.

Linda
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Linda Strader's story of battling fires and the firefighting establishment prove her worth as a true trailblazer in the days when it took a very bold soul to rock the boat and go after her dreams. The previous reviewers have got it covered. A wonderful story of determination, and an educational story of how the system worked in those days, as well as the day-to-day of a firefighter in the park system. Highly recommended!
Ann Barlow
rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2019
Tricia Sanders
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author's experience as the first women fire fighter for the U.S. Forest Service hit a nerve for me as I was the first woman in my field as well. Many of the experiences she had, brought back memories of the injustice of being a woman in a "man's world" but she did so with courage. Her commitment to her profession in the face of the adversity was promising. She tells three loves stories in her book, the love for her profession, the love for a man, and finally her love for h ...more
LL
May 08, 2018
Judy Kasper
Apr 16, 2019
RiversideReader
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2018

• Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds 2: Still Living the Dream in Rural Ireland
  • The Sunny Side of the Alps: From Scotland to Slovenia on a Shoestring
  • The First Toast is to Peace: Travels in the South Caucasus
  • Death by Baguette (Travel Can Be Murder #2)
  • My Life in Horses: Part One: Disappearing Dreamscapes
  • The Cuckoo is a Pretty Bird: Murderer? Or victim? (Ted Darling Crime Series, #13)
  • The Memory
  • High Heels & Beetle Crushers: The Life, Losses and Loves of an Officer and Lady
  • Stranded in the Seychelles: Teachers in Paradise
  • Only in India: Adventures of an International Educator
  • Watching the Daisies: Life Lessons on the Importance of Slow
  • What about Your Saucepans?
  • Call of the Wild
  • Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux #21)
  • No Turning Back: A Hopi Woman's Struggle to Live in Two Worlds
  • Playing for the Ashes (Inspector Lynley, #7)