Start by marking “Honeybee” as Want to Read:
Honeybee

Honeybee

You will meet people in your lifetime who demand to have poems written about them. It’s not something they say. It’s something about their hands, the shape of their mouths, the way they look walking away from you. Honeybee is an honest take on walking away and still feeling like you were walked away from. It’s about cutting love loose like a kite string and praying the win ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Central Avenue Publishing (first published July 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Honeybee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honeybee

Es Summer
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"I still remember you as a little girl,
Who overwaters plants,
Because she doesn't know when to stop giving."

What a lovely little book. Honeybee is a collection of poems about different subjects. The author zooms in on love, in particular, heartbreak, for most of the book, but other subjects, such as bisexuality and femininity, are also discussed.
It sometimes amazes me how poetry novels with so little words and not many pages can evoke more emotions than a full-length novel.
This book is beaut
Olivia
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fucking book. THIS. FUCKING. BOOK. I don't know what I expected going into it because I had never read any of Trista's work but, oh my sweet lord, I read the first poem and I was hooked. I finished it in like, ten minutes, and cried at almost every poem. Somehow, this fucking incredible girl that I have never met in my life managed to capture all of my feelings and wrap them all up into this cute little package that is Honeybee. I'm the type of person who will ignore things and pretend my f ...more
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a poetry reader and reading Mateer for the first time. I loved this book, the poems and writing is very casual but still strong. Even the names/headings of some poems were bang on. I have many highlighted lines in this book.
I am not a native English speaker but still felt the echo of the emotions propagated through me. Would definitely read Mateer's poems again.
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
I liked this collection, but I definitely did not love it. And to be completely honestly, I only fault this collection because it did not satisfy my own personal taste.

description

First of all, I would like to say that I think Trista Mateer is a very talented poet; however, I think because majority of these poems were inspired by her bitter breakup with her ex-girlfriend, the book as a whole left me feeling like she was obsessed. Was she? Who knows. Probably not but that's how it read to me. I felt ove
Vani
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, lgbt
"Some people are born flight risks. It is no shortcoming of yours that they cannot keep their feet on the ground. It is not your fault that they cannot seem to stand in place. They are not leaving you; they are just leaving."

Me: Heartbroken, possibly dying.
Also me: I'll just read Honeybee at midnight on a work night nbd.

description

"And I know--I know I have a heart like a wild thing
with snapping jaws and matted fur
but I'd hang up my hands on hooks for you, pluck
out all of my sharp teeth
for the chance t
Tori (InToriLex)
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

These poems were laced with a intimacy only a friend sobbing in your arms could convey. Honeybee is about loving someone dangerously and dealing with what happens after. The author describes falling in love and all of the joys that brings. Her relationship was everything until her Honeybee decided that Christianity and societal norms meant it wasn't. While reading these poems I remembered my own experiences of heartbreak and felt relieved while reading that those feelings of despair has dissi
Alison
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This collection hit a little close to home, as it was about leaving someone and trying to get over it and how that happens in waves.
These weren't really "pretty poems" in that they didn't read lyrically. And some of them were a little repetitive, but for the most part I enjoyed it.
Jenny
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This just wasn't for me... There was no poetic tone to any of the poems; they all read like Facebook statuses or notes/emails.

A lot of the poems seemed redundant, also: seemed like some lines from one poem were repurposed in another poem and such.
Romie
I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, but here I am.

Some books of poetry just speak to you, you don't necessarily know why, but they do. This one did. This is the one book of poetry I didn't know I needed until I started reading it.
It's beautiful, it's elegant ... but it's also a heartbreak, waves of tears, hours of wishing for something that isn't anymore. It's poetry that speaks to humanity.

It's small but poignant at the same time. It's the first time I've read poems about bisexualit
Bree Hill
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true gem! I went into this blindly. I’ve never read anything else by the author but am so glad that I can finally say I have and that I started with Honeybee. For anyone who recently experienced a break up or are still trying to get over one, this book does such a good job of capturing what it’s like to be in the process of getting over someone and the liberating feeling when you have. I love the light it sheds on sexuality. I adored this. Looking forward to more from this poet.
Luca
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now, I am not very experienced with reading and writing about poetry, but for me, Honeybee was certainly a treasure. This book centers around Trista Mateer's past relationship with someone she loved so dearly. It was visible on every page how much emotions and feelings Mateer had in this relationship. I find it admirable how she was able to translate these feelings into the poetry in Honeybee.

What I like about this poetry collection is that it feels contemporary, yet it is not shallow. It feels
Katie McNelly
Not bad, not great. Not mad I read it, not something I connected to emotionally. Not recommended, but then again just not my cup of tea.
ambsreads
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
full review to come
Alicia Cook
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trista Mateer's only competition is Trista Mateer. Wow.
Nildene
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, arcs, poetry
Coming Home
It took me too long to realize it was not
romantic(, tender, or healthy)
to love someone else more than I loved myself.

I started this without much knowledge about Trista Mateer, I'd never read any of her poetry before so I wasn't sure what to expect. The collection of poetry in Honeybee goes through the process one goes through when letting go after heartbreak, after love. And honestly, I found myself not really understanding that process until the end.

For the majority of the collectio
Ylenia
Poetry is always really difficult for me to review because it's such a personal experience, but I'll try anyway.

I read this "collection of poems about letting go" because I was going through a break-up. Well, I still am and I will be for a long time. But the specific reason why I got this book was related to me being suddenly single, not anything else.
I started this at the end of July and finished at the end of October. I can see that I'm better than I was when I first started this.

I was expecti
Guille
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Nice book! Even though the topic was about breakups and heartbreaks i wished there was like an ending that could inspire or make readers who connected with the theme feel hopeful, Idk if this makes sense.
Sayeeda
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a cover whore I see pretty covers and I have to get them. 💜
Pretty cover pretty writing 😍🌸
Cecilie K.
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It reads like getting your heart broken all over again, like sitting there with this book in your hand and suddenly remembering all the break ups you ever went through, turning the last page and feeling like you’ve just gotten closure for some of them.

I spent a good part of the beginning of the book falling in love with how Trista described the relationship, how they seemed so sweet together and then desperately hoping the book would end with there not being a break up at all.
Then the slow ach
Savanah
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
there it is, my first poetry book of the year. and it resonated. the poet recommends reading it in one sitting and i agree completely.

here are some lines that really stuck out to me:

"You said you were afraid of losing me, like I was a thing that could be misplaced."

"You said: 'most days, I pity you more than I love you'. I just love you."

"There were nights I was so jealous that the thought of you on your knees for Jesus made me angry. Baby, I don’t think you understand the level of insecurity i
Patty
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, library
I went into Honeybee thinking that this would be an amazing read but...

description

At most I came out of this wishing for Trista Mateer to find happiness.
Kaycee Bowick (Off_The_Press)
image1_9

This is a book of poetry that follows Trista's relationship with a girl who stole her heart--a relationship that caused her so much happiness, change, heartbreak, and emotional pain throughout the span of time. And the poems that flowed from those emotions that Trista experienced were so powerful and relatable.

I loved that Trista created a book of poetry but it is also a story. The poems are presented in chronological order through a relationship and break up--starting out with the initial over
Becky
This was good. Astounding, actually. It’s so different to what is currently out there and it really makes it stand out from the crowd. The emotion that comes through in this one is thick, intense and unrelenting in all the best ways. It broke my heart and reminded me of years gone by, but in a good way. I don’t know how poems can break my heart in a good way, but these certainly did. They’re excellently written, blunt and written with purpose and masses of emotion. The intensity of the poems is ...more
farida
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
this is so heartbreaking. i felt trista’s pain throughout this book like it was mine. completely heartfelt and raw and pure genuineness. i’m amazed. it really captures the words of heartbreak right out of my mouth!

“My heart
looks like a bruise
and I almost don’t mind.
God, I almost don’t mind.”

“I wait for you to find your
way back to the world we made for each other,
the place where it was safe for you to want me.”

“In Which Fear Sleeps Between Us

You call it a sin when we kiss
and you only hear the w
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This poetry collection is essentially about the author's life after letting go of the woman she loved. It's always hard to judge the content of such personal poems so I'm trying not to go there, I'll just say that what kept me reading was the style of the poems more than the concepts. It's just, the author's feelings either will resonate with you or they won't, and for me
Eram Hussain
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"To me, you are perfect. And my wasted heart will love you."

I BUY PLANE TICKETS IN MY SLEEP
I am the one physically removing myself from this place
and yet it feels like you are the one leaving me.
I will never understand how this works.

I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE TICKET
I’m leaving soon.
I’ve only been packing bags in my head,
but my suitcase has been open for two weeks and it is
begging to be filled.
I’m trying not to question whether or not there will be room for you.

Kristina Romero
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is really only one way to read this book and that is to consume it all in one go, which is exactly what I did. The poignancy is lost if you try to take small bites. It's easy to glean a familiar feeling from this collection of musings and fragments of a complicated relationship. The story is her own and a very personal one and yet you're going to feel like you've been there before. Maybe it's because you feel that you can relate. Maybe it's because she simply does such a damn good job of p ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4.5 STARS
2018; Central Avenue Publishing/Independent Publishers Group
(Review Not on Blog)

Powerful, raw and very readable poetry collection. It really spoke to me because the theme of letting go is something I am going through myself, and have always kind of battled with. Mateer gives words to those feelings. And, omg, love this cover!!!

***I received an eARC from EDELWEISS and NETGALLEY***
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
This was a compilation of LGBT poems. They were beautiful but I honestly think that Mateer's previous book The Dogs I Have Kissed was just better. Honeybee was a compilation of love that was lost and bittersweet memories with someone you thought you'd spend your eternity with.

KayCee K
First poetry book of 2018 and I'm blown away. If this is a peek of poetry I'm going to read this year, then bring on the poetry because, man this book is amazing.
Trista poetry style paints photos of life with such a bright, truthful way that I couldn't stop reading. I read this book all in one setting because in a way it kinda reads as a story being told. I enjoyed the mix of different lengths of poems. There are one-liners to long poems. There are a few poems that made my heart hurt because of

• This Is How We Find Each Other
  • I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl: Poems
  • There Should Be Flowers
  • We Will Be Shelter: Poems for Survival
  • This Way to the Sugar
Trista Mateer is a writer and poet from outside of Baltimore, who could be living anywhere by the time you read this. She believes in lipstick, late nights, and cheap air fare. Known for her eponymous blog, she is also the author of three collections of poetry. More of her work can be found at: tristamateer.com
“I promised no more poetry and I’d rather think of this as a confession: you are still the first person I want to share new things with.” 15 likes
“You said: “most days, I pity you more than I love you”.   I just love you.” 13 likes