Start by marking “Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing” as Want to Read:
Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing

Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing

Shinrin Yoku or 'forest bathing' was developed in Japan in the 1980s and brings together ancient ways and wisdom with cutting edge environmental health science. There are now forest bathing stations and walkways scattered throughout Japan, although the good news is that we can all benefit from this simple practice.

Simply put, forest bathing is the practice of walking slowl
Published May 1st 2018 by Aster

To ask other readers questions about Shinrin Yoku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shinrin Yoku

Jen
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have always been interested in the link between health and nature. This book goes into some of the science and some of the scientists trying to show how being in or around nature can yield positive health benefits.

The book was interesting, though slightly repetitive. My favorite part of the book was the absolutely gorgeous pictures of nature. I wonder if seeing pictures of nature can still yield health benefits? I know I felt more relaxed when looking at the pictures! Though in eBook format,
Mijazmija
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Proč příroda snižuje stres? Jak jedna procházka denně ovlivní nás nervový systém? To nám vysvětluje japonská terapie lesem #shinrinyoku. Já měla japonský lesy dodnes zařazený v kategorii "sebevraždy", ale očividně se začali v Japonsku snažit, aby v lesích život spíš začínal, než končil. A co mě nejvíc překvapilo?
1. výsledky výzkumů lidí pravidelně navštěvujících les
2. kapitola o všímavé chůzi, rozvíjení intuice a zapojení všech našich smyslů 3.tipy na to, jak využít léčebné síly přírody a za po
Melissa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Books like this are scary because some people choose this type of theory over pills and real medical help. Serious forms of depressions and other medical problems will not go away by hanging out in a forest or park. Most therapist do recommend going outside or taking a walk because it can be helpful.
There are beautiful pictures of trees which I enjoyed more than the writing. Many of the information is already well known from studies and research throughout the years. I really just wished they di
Maya Panika
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true delight. A book about the simplest of concepts, forest bathing - as sun bathing means surrounding oneself in sunlight and sea bathing is getting into the ocean, immersing oneself in the sea, forest bathing is about being inside the forest, becoming one with the peace and sensual pleasures of the woodland, reducing blood pressure, reducing heart rate and stress hormones - but hopefully, mostly, taking great pleasure in being amongst the sights the sounds, the perfume, of the woods.
The chap
Etienne
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about the power of the trees/forest and how much we can benefit to live surround by those. I have an interest about the benefit of trees for health (physical and psychological) for a while now and this book could be a really good introduction for those who want to get an good tour of it all. I didn't learn much, but like I said, I already know a bunch of stuff, but the newcomers should learn a few things. The photographs are great and it has a good balance between informations, study/meth ...more
thebookiv
Lovely pictures of trees, but for some reason I'd anticipated a more detailed read. The studies were informative, but I thought there would be something more than the simple fact that walking through a forested area can potentially lower blood pressure. It was light and lovely, but I really thought there would be more substance to a lifestyle choice that primes nature therapy as a viable preventative measure to diseases of the body and mind.
Ann
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I love trees and walking in dappled shade; the varied green color tones and the scents of woodlands are soothing to me. This book confirms that forests are wonderful places to spend quality time through science and extensive experience in Japan where 69% of the country is covered in forests and the culture appreciates nature and trees.
Pontus Ågren
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
The book was written in a way that seemed intended for children. Also I got the impression that with so much repetition and fillers the author just wanted to create a book out of a few pages with minimal effort. The information was good although the amount was small. Interesting topic.
Bookish
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no
As a counsellor, I like this book because it acts as a reminder that simple things, such as a walk in the woods or a vase of flowers, can promote relaxation. More than that, it provides evidence for the calming value of nature and explains its impact on our body's physiology.

This is important because the idea of connecting to nature can feel a woefully inadequate response to stress. How many of us have felt fobbed off when it is suggested that we "go for a walk" at a moment of emotional turmoil
Adrienne Organa
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
A quick read if you are interested in learning more about the subject. It's a bit repetitive, but it gives a good overview about what shinrin yoku is all about.
Elizabeth Amber Love
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For as long as I can remember, I referred to any walk in the woods as “hiking.” I supposed to other people hiking refers to strenuous ascents and descents over mountains and cliffs. I believe it was in 2017 when I came across a meme on Instagram explaining that there’s a Japanese practice of walking through nature, particularly a forest, and soaking every bit of stimuli in which was called “shinrin-yoku.”

As a newly credentialed yoga teacher and still writer-at-large, I was immediately curious wh
Leanne
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
[Review about both Shinrin Yoku: The Art of Japanese Forest Bathing by Miyazaki and Forest Bathing by Li] I recently saw an article in the Guardian: "Doctors in Shetland are to start prescribing birdwatching, rambling and beach walks in the Atlantic winds to help treat chronic and debilitating illnesses for the first time." These illnesses include ailments such as mental illness, diabetes, heart disease, stress and other conditions. I was immediately reminded of the Japanese practice of forest b ...more
Anna
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, japan, nonfiction, arc
This neat little book is based around a simple concept: we evolved in nature, and stepping back into nature--literally, through the concept of "forest bathing"--can help alleviate some of the stress of modern urban life. On the surface it seems a little obvious; anyone who enjoys camping, gardening, or even walking in the park can tell you that those hobbies help them relax. Here, though, the author presents the research he and his colleagues conducted into what exactly happens in the body when ...more
Erica
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Mostly, I read this for the pictures.
They're beautiful.

I think maybe if you're feeling at odds and can't seem to get a hold of who you are and where you're going but aren't to the point where your therapist is suggesting switching meds, then Shinrin Yoku could be helpful?
This book looks at the restorative aspects of spending time in nature. Maybe because I live in Colorado and that's all we do here, I was already pretty familiar with a lot of the information in here.
I think perhaps the point is
Suzanne
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Forest-bathing. Sounds like something a hippy would do, I hear you say. I’m not going to lie that I had those initial prejudices too. Although if you know me, you’ll know that I’m very interested in how nature can help our health. I love aromatherapy oils and all that sort of thing. So I thought why not?

I really enjoyed this book. Well I’d say it’s more of a guide to be honest; a guide to improving our relationship with nature and how we can protect the trees that give so much to us. We often fo
Lily
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shinrin Yoku, by Yoshifumi Miyazaki, delves into the scientific research behind forest therapy, or forest bathing. Forest bathing is “the Japanese practice of seeking a deep and meditative connection with nature.” The author has been a forest researcher for many years; he presents a very comprehensive study of forest therapy, from all the different ways we can practice forest therapy and incorporate it in our lives, to all the scientific research performed to back up the results of forest therap ...more
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and Timber Press for the opportunity to read and review Shinrin Yoku: The Japanese Art of Forest Bathing by Yoshifumi Miyazaki. This book is meant for reducing stress and the title alone relaxes me. Shinrin-yoku, nature therapy and forest therapy both embody “Japan’s Relationship with Nature”. Effects of nature on stress relief and the body are discussed with beautiful photographs interspersed between the scientific information. Information is even given for when getting outd ...more
She
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I absolutely loved this book! As an avid hiker and someone who loves nature and the forest I loved how this author spoke about the trees and spending time in and around them. This book is filled with excellent information about how important being in the forest is for our health and quality of life. It is a book that I wish everyone would read and take to heart. Our world would be much better off if everyone returned to their roots and make sure they spent quality time in nature at least monthly ...more
Marcus Leong
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the empirical evidence for nature-based therapies is still at an early stage of research, the results achieved thus far has been positive. Besides documenting the benefits of such therapies and the respective related research methods and results, this book also documents a good comparison between Western and Eastern cultures, where the former deals in absolutes (evident in many other reviews reflected here) and the latter prefers relativism.

Nowhere in the book has the author advocated for
Rosemary Clark
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nature heals, and author Miyazaki demonstrates how an accessible resource enables us to find wholeness in the natural world. Shinrin Yoku points to an outward process of becoming immersed in the sensations brought by nature in the tradition of Soto Zen, “being in the moment.” It is active meditation, but instead of emphasizing an inward approach, the author shows how the power of the forest environment reduces stress and the physical repercussions it imposes. This work includes stunning photogra ...more
Carol Dass
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
This is a beautifully written book, full of amazing pictures. Forest Bathing is basically being in a forest, walking through the trees, enjoying the beauty and healing quality of nature. I strongly believe in the healing nature of trees. For me, trees are a symbol of strength, stability and support. I was lucky enough to live in an area of England where forests and wooded areas were plentiful and I always enjoyed walking through these areas, especially on my own. The walks left me feeling less s ...more
Reed
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book that I came across at the library. It shares the science and practical mind/body benefits behind walking in nature. I enjoyed much of the Japanese background, and learned something new about essential oils and bonsai plants. Some beautiful photos too.

Overall, it definitely inspired me to get back to my weekly walk-in-the-woods. I also plan to experiment with some essential oils like cedar wood and eucalyptus. So if we consider reading as a way to inspire action, then this book
Madonna Stephens
If you’re a Girl Guide or Scout - this book would come as no surprise. Get out and get into nature to feel good and de stress.

Well what if I told you that this book has the science to back it up. Randomising across urban and forest environments, parks, even pot plants in high schools and bonsai for spinal patients. Evidence is pretty clear - get into nature to de stress! Physical and mental benefits aplenty!

Janet
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to forest bathing by one of the Japanese pioneers. You could easily finish it in one sitting as it’s light and filled with beautiful photos. This book will always have a special place in my heart because it showed me my way. Since reading it, I have refined my vision for my small nature retreat in Panamá to include forest bathing and nature therapy.
LeeAnn Balbirona
Statistics and research support common sense: getting outside is good for you. It doesn’t need to be strenuous exercise to be beneficial. Just sitting, viewing, touching nature can improve quality of life.
kathryn donovan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: health

"The idea behind shinzen is that we are all connected to nature, emotionally, spiritually and physically; and that the more closely something relates to nature, the more pleasing it is, whether it's a spoon, or a piece of furniture, or the way a house is decorated."
Sandra Scott
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book nicely designed with delightful quotes and the explanation of the importance of nature in our lives. There are also results of research on the subject. The author also brings in other ways of having nature in our lives, if there isn't a forest near by.
Leslie Jonsson
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely insightful book on the Japanese art/psychology of "Forest Bathing," which can be applied in several ways in the U.S. Great pictures, quotes and advice for those of us who live in mid size to large cities to get our nature fix in.
Cathy Scott
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and especially informative regarding the research on this subject of forest immersion.
Marijke
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
zeer interessant en degelijk wetenschappelijk onderbouwd.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
  • 10,000 Ways to Say I Love You: The Biggest Collection of Romantic Ideas Ever Gathered in One Place
  • Kansai Cool: A Journey into the Cultural Heartland of Japan
  • Hannah's Winter
  • On Extinction: How We Became Estranged from Nature
  • American Cozy: Hygge-Inspired Ways to Create Comfort  Happiness
  • Women Healers of the World: The Traditions, History, and Geography of Herbal Medicine
  • Chanterelle Dreams, Amanita Nightmares: The Love, Lore, and Mystique of Mushrooms
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Atchafalaya Houseboat: My Years in the Louisiana Swamp
  • Herbarium
  • A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy
  • The Hedonism Handbook: Mastering the Lost Arts of Leisure and Pleasure
  • Sumo
  • Samurai Awakening (Samurai Awakening #1)
  • A Life of One's Own