Start by marking “Being Creative: Be inspired. Unlock your originality: 20 thought-provoking lessons” as Want to Read:

Creativity begins with you.

Through a series of 20 practical and effective exercises, all using a unique visual approach, Michael Atavar challenges you to open your mind, shift your perspective and ignite your creativity. Whatever your passion, craft or aims, this book will expertly guide you from bright idea, through the tricky stages of development, to making your concep
Published May 3rd 2018 by Aurum Press

To ask other readers questions about Being Creative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Creative

MarylineD
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Being Creative: Be inspired. Unlock your originality" by Michael Atavar.

I really loved it! Really well done. Easy to follow, colourful, and it makes you want to get creative!
Full of good advice, exercices, note pads...
The chapters are well done, well divided.

Some things seem obvious yet I never thought about it like that before. Like making a commitment to write a number of words everyday at the same time and same place. That consistency and regularity are important.

Years ago, I used to writ
Melise
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) from Quarto Publishing Group, Aurum Press and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. Thanks!

I feel really lucky to have happened upon this book. The minute it is released, I plan to purchase a physical copy to keep on my resources shelf, because I think this book provides tools and concepts that can help me access my own creativity well into the future. I apologize for the length of this review, but I thought it was important to explain how this bo
Karen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the message this book is imparting. That creative is something you are. It's inside you. The book is broken into 5 sections, each with 4 ideas around how to get you more and more into the creative mindset and to unlock the creativity within you.

The first section really resonated with me, the idea of beginner's mind, starting small and reducing the size, and even consistency. I have done all of these in my own work and they do work like magic. I love the sentiment that "we don't push the d
Janet
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the publisher ---
Everyone is a creative. Everyone can have great ideas. Being Creative looks at how ideas are generated and what is behind innovative visions to give practical tips to inspire creativity that works for you, today and tomorrow.
Starting with innovative approaches to starting and travelling through the ways in which to grow ideas and strategies, Michael Atavar brings his wea
Kathy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book where you and the author just didn't connect/weren't on the same page? This is one of those books for me.

I looked forward to learning how to improve (finding more confidence in) my creativity, but after reading this book, I'm still wondering. Perhaps this book is geared toward an audience at a different level than the one I'm on. I just didn't get it.

Please do not let my review stop you from reading this book if you think it would be helpful to you.

I appreciate NetGall
Mukesh Gupta
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then there comes along a book that can entertain, educate & inspire you; make you take action.

This is on such book! This book is a brilliant example of what he tries to teach us about creativity!

It’s just brilliant!!

Thanks NetGally for giving me access to an early copy of the book!
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
At the start of this, I was pumped. I've read other books that Atavar has written and he has serious credentials in the art world.

The problem is that after the first "lesson" it starts getting very very repetitive and instead of building on the last lesson, it feels like presenting the same lesson over and over again in a new way.

I did really appreciate that he repeats that everyone is creative again and again. It's something I've always believed and agree that it's fear that holds people back
Liz (Quirky Cat)
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Being Creative in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Being Creative isn’t your typical artistic guide book. The intent of this book isn’t to help you draw or paint better, but rather to get you into the artistic mindset, regardless of your chosen art form. In that it is very unique, and is the reason why I really wanted to give it a try.
This book is set up in five different parts, first is the Beginning, which covers all of the issues with getting started on a creative
Andreea
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I rarely give 1 star to a book I finish, but I simply did not like this book and couldn't connect with it. And it's sad because I really enjoyed the other books in this collection and from what I see other people seemed to love it. But, alas, here is my honest opinion on this book.

I did not like how it was written. I find it quite repetitive, even more repetitive than usual self-help books are and it feels like every chapter re
penny shima glanz
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
While these are not novel, the twenty lessons found in Being Creative can help the reader to a better practice. First and foremost they reveal the secret -- creativity is you. Atavar then offers concrete ways to spark creativity and thoughtful ways to foster it and integrate it into one's work. From lessons of "beginner's mind" to "failure", there are tips, tools, and additional resources all focused on strengthening your originality and creativity.

I received an eARC of this title from NetGalle
Debbie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgallery
I received a digital copy of this book from Netgallery in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The title and book description quickly pulled me in, but this was a major disappointment. After reading The Artist Within and Simple Abundance, this book pales in comparison to wake up my creativity.

I don't know if it is just a major clash between the writer's style and my tastes, but it just didn't work for me.
Max Cherepitsa
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
полезные упражнения про креативность в каждой главе
Sally
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it

This is an interesting book. I think it is most suited to 'blocked' creatives or people who are looking for a direction because they are feeling rudderless or lack confidence. I am fortunate enough to be in a good place creatively so I found myself nodding along but relatively little struck me as revelatory. There are a few good ideas, though, which I will be putting into practice (e.g. noting
Irina-Marina Borţoi
Kurt Lee
Feb 23, 2019
Lisa
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone is creative, but they just don't know it. Michael Atavar provides a toolkit to help you unleash your creativity, focusing on five areas, including persistence and ending, with a specific example for each. He also provides exercises and suggestions for each area.

Even if you just use one suggestion from the book, it will expose you to a whole new way of noticing the world around you and this is sure to help your creativity!

I received this free ebook from Net Galley in return for an hones
Carol
Rhiannon
Shadenfreude
Natalie Matos
Apr 01, 2018
  • Think Differently: Open your mind. Philosophy for modern life: 20 thought-provoking lessons
  • Read People: Understand behaviour. Expertly communicate: 20 thought-provoking lessons
  • The Signs: Decode the Stars, Reframe Your Life
  • Zen for Christians: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Girls' Guide to Conquering Life: How to Ace an Interview, Change a Tire, Talk to a Guy, and 97 Other Skills You Need to Thrive
  • The Ultimate Guide to Divination: The Beginner's Guide to Using Cards, Crystals, Runes, Palmistry, and More for Insight and Predicting the Future
  • By Inspiration “Poetry et Cetera”
  • Close Your Eyes, Get Free: Use Self-Hypnosis to Reduce Stress, Quit Bad Habits, and Achieve Greater Relaxation and Focus
  • Be Great...Before It's Too Late
  • The Three Questions: How to Discover and Master the Power Within You
  • Get Technology: Be in the know. Upgrade your future: 20 thought-provoking lessons
  • The Pastel Magic Book of Tarot Spreads: Divining and Journaling Your Way to Your Higher Self
  • How to Live Long and Like It: The Longevity Diet
  • Remember Who You Are: Achieve Success. Create Balance. Experience Fulfillment.
  • Crushed: A Journey Through Depression
  • Never Get Angry Again: The Foolproof Way to Stay Calm and in Control in Any Conversation or Situation
  • Badass Babe Workbook: Creative Exercises, Drawing Activities, Empowering Stories, and Fuel for Your Personal Revolution, Inspired by Over 100 Trailblazing Women
  • Winds of Spirit: Ancient Wisdom Tools for Navigating Relationships, Health, and the Divine