Start by marking “The Bagel King” as Want to Read:

The Bagel King

Every Sunday morning, no matter the weather, Eli could count on Zaida to bring bagels from Merv's Bakery. Eli loved the time they spent together enjoying their favorite treats. ?Warm. Chewy. Salty,? Eli thought. ?Bagels were the best thing about Sunday.? But one Sunday, Zaida didn't come. He had fallen at Merv's and ?hurt his tuches,? and the doctor said Zaida had to rest ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bagel King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bagel King

[Shai] Bibliophage
The Bagel King is an adorable story written by Andrew Larsen with cute illustrations drawn by Sandy Nichols. The tale is about the young boy, Eli, and his grandfather's very close relationship. Every Sunday, his grandfather or Zaida in Yiddish, religiously brings bagels to Eli's home. But one Sunday, Zaida had an accident, therefore, he needs to rest for several weeks.
The Bagel King
Eli surprised everyone when he took the responsibility one Sunday to bought the bagels and deliver them to his Zaida and h
Jason
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really sweet story about a young boy helping out an elderly friend when he is homebound due to an injury. I really want to read this out loud in a storytime so I can practice my Yiddish accent, haha.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Bagel King is a wonderful story about family relationships and rituals, spending time with loved ones and paying it forward. When Zaida misses bagel time with Eli one Sunday, Eli finds out that he is hurt. Oy, he fell on his tuches at the bagel shop. It turns out that not only does Zaida deliver bagels to Eli, but he also spends time each Sunday with three of his older friends eating. Eli takes the time to help his grandfather, bringing him chicken soup but realizes that he can do even more. ...more
Siusan
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oy vey! Zaida fell on his tuches. This is a wonderful story about a boy, Eli, and his grandfather and their weekly ritual. Due to his grandfather’s injury the grandson takes over the tradition and adds his own twist. The illustrations are absolutely delicious. They are colorful, descriptive, and such a great addition to the telling of the story. The picture of Eli draped over the couch does an excellent job of conveying how the young man is feeling. The drawings of all the older gentlemen in the ...more
Katya Vinogradova
I received a digital copy of this book from Kids Can Press via NetGalley.

This beautifully illustrated story made me tear up a bit. It is such a heartwarming tale of a young boy Eli who loves spending Sundays with his grandpa Zaida eating bagels. It's something that Eli looks forward to every week and Zaida never disappoints. Except one time Zaida doesn't bring the bagels, and Eli is shocked to discover that Zaida had an accident that put him on bed rest for two whole weeks. At first Eli sadly ac
Storywraps
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This delightful book focuses on a lovely relationship between a grandfather and his beloved grandson. The bonding glue between the two? Bagels.

Every Sunday Zaida goes to Merv's Bakery to buy bagels. Sometimes his grandson Eli goes with him. Mrs. Rose always treats Eli to one of her scrumptious pickles right out of the jar that she keeps on the shelf behind the counter. Zaida and Eli think they are the best pickles in the whole wide world. Usually, though, Eli stays home and his wonderful Zaida h
J.L. Slipak
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pub Date 01 May 2018

Thank you Netgalley and Kids Can Press for providing me with this book for me to read and provide my honest review.

Description
Every Sunday morning, no matter the weather, Eli could count on Zaida to bring bagels from Merv’s Bakery. Eli loved the time they spent together enjoying their favorite treats. “Warm. Chewy. Salty,” Eli thought. “Bagels were the best thing about Sunday.” But one Sunday, Zaida didn’t come. He had fallen at Merv’s and “hurt his tuches,” and the doctor sa
Amber Webb
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Bagel King was a great story of family, friendship, dependability and kindness. The relationships between Zaida and the grandson as well as zaida and his friends were felt through the story. Those are the best types of stories. I could feel the grandfather's love radiating through the words and actions he took. I felt the same when the story turned and the grandson was the one returning the favor. The Bagel King would be an excellent addition to every classroom looking to diversify their col ...more
Tatiana
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love a bagel and smear? Eli's zaida always brings bagels over on Sunday (to celebrate the end a good Sabbath, surely). One day, the tradition is interrupted by Zaida taking a tumble. Who will bring the bagels now?

This is a very sweet picture book. The grandparent-grandchild relationship is perfectly balanced. The dialogue is sprinkled with Yiddish terms. The resolution was perhaps predicable, but that didn't make it any less fitting.
Richelle Zirkle
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore this wonderfully illustrated children's book. The story follows Eli and Zaida, his grandfather. The two have a tradition of enjoying bagels on Sundays. When Zaida falls on one of his trips, he is forced to take it easy for two weeks. As a result, the bagel tradition stops. Can Eli find a way to keep the bagel tradition alive for himself, Zaida and Zaida's neighbors?

The illustrations are well drawn and done in soft, muted colors. The story's focus on family, friendship, ritual and commun
Cara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't begin to express how much I enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who has fond memories of their grandparents. The Bagel King took me back to my childhood when I would visit my grandparents in the Brox. My Zaida would go out early Sunday morning to the Bagel factory and return with a bag of hot delicious bagels. This book is perfect for both children and adults who like to reminisce about their own childhoods.
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very cute picture book about Eli and his Zaida (grandfather), who delivers, it turns out, bagels to the whole neighborhood, and when he can't do it, because he fell on his tuches (his butt), it isn't the same, so Eli has to take up the mantle.

I like how the yiddish is sprinkled into the picture book. They are common enough words, some, like tuches, have made their way into the general English, or maybe I just hung out with my Yiddish speaking neighbor too much as a kid. :)

Good book about givin
Rosemary
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zaida, Eli's grandfather, gets bagels from Merv's Bakery every Sunday morning. One morning, when no bagels show up, Eli gets a phone call: Zaida's fallen on his tuchus and can't get the bagels! Eli and his family aren't the only ones waiting on bagels, either - Eli visits Zaida, only to discover that Zaida's friends are verklempt, too. No bagels! What a shanda, as my stepdad would say! Eli helps care for his zaida and keep him company, but he knows the best way to cheer Zaida up, and heads to th ...more
Barbra
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Yiddish words and phrases follow Eli and his Grandpa as they enjoy the best thing about Sundays, the warm chewy bagels. When Grandpa falls and can no longer make a delivery Eli plays nurse.First he brings chicken soup, but a Sunday without bagels is just another day. By the next Sunday he realizes the only thing he can do to make everyone feel better is to deliver some bagels himself.
Donna Maguire
This was a fun story about family traditions. It has some excellent images that were nice and bright and really brought an added depth to the story - I loved that it had added Yiddish words to learn as the story went along too along with a hint at some Jewish traditions and culture - 4 stars!
Lois
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I read the following book on NetGalley.

Eli's zaida (Jewish grandfather) is as reliable as a postman when it comes to delivering bagels. No matter the season Zaida delivers the warm, chewy, and salty delights to Eli until the day Zaida falls and hurts his tuche. Eli does a wonderful job caring for his grandfather who has been told by the doctor to rest. In an effort to better care for Zaida and his friends, Eli takes over the bagel delivery where he grandfather left off.

Sandy Nichols tells a grea
Lghiggins
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Bagel King is a sweet story about a grandfather who goes to the bakery every Sunday morning, rain or shine, and buys bagels to share with his grandson Eli. Then Zaida’s (grandpa’s) three friends arrive at his apartment with their assisted walking devices for a Sunday morning bagel feast. All of that changes one Sunday when Zaida slips at at the bakery and has to rest for several weeks. All are discouraged but Eli saves the day by making the bagel run himself.

The story is simple and uncomplic
Lu
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a short book with the illustrations that I like, but it's a little cliche. I already knew what it would happen in the end, and nothing was so surprising. "The Bagel King", this name, I think it should be Zaida's and not the child, because Zaida was the one that had been delivering the bagels faithfully before he fell on his tuches. The child was acclaimed more than he was by Zaida's friends, and besides the child, nobody didn't really care about what Zaida felt. All I heard from Zaida's ...more
Theediscerning
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pleasant and very visually attractive advanced picture book for the young reader, with a warm narrative of youthful industry and familial care. If anything, though, it does rely on Jewish/Yiddish stereotypes, of the old men gathering and kvetching, waiting for a reason to have chicken soup, and everyone just eating the same bagel week in, week out. Still, as one example and one snapshot of the passing on of responsibility from the old to the young, it works. And as I say, the really nice artwo ...more
Erin Hill goldie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We checked this book out from the library a week ago and since then my three-year-old son has asked me to read it at least once a day to him. He loves acting out the characters Eli and Zaida. This is a heartwarming story about a boy and his Zaida (grandfather) and their Sunday morning bagel routine. The characters are fantastic and the beautiful pictures really bring them to life. I love that there is a Yiddish glossary at the front of the book for words like Zaida and Schmutz. The book is due b ...more
Susan
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Growl. Now I am all hungry reading all the yummy descriptions of bagels in this book. A story of a grandfather and his grandson, about friends and kind gestures, about giving back and even extra.
A helpful Yiddish glossary in the front (and what kind of meshuganah wouldn't like that?). Meanwhile now I can't wait for what we do every Sunday morning - get our bagels nice and hot from the best bagel place in the world, or at least, in mine.
Nadina
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ssyra-jr-2019
This was a well paced story with a good plot. I really enjoyed it and really liked the pictures.
The characters were good but simple and I think it is a book where it is really easy to see the various story parts if you wanted to use it for teaching.
I would definitely recommend this book for kids.
Amanda Sanders
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eli's grandfather brought home bagels every Sunday until he hurt his tuches. Eli loved Sunday mornings with his zaida (grandfather) and bagels. I like the story but the section where "terms you should know" are is the publication page. That would have been better placed right before page 1 or at the end like any other glossary.
Niki Marion
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe I'm lamenting the lack of good bagels in Seattle, but this book is hitting me where I feel it most: my stomach.

A really sweet tale about Eli & his zaida, who brings bagels to all of his friends every Sunday, except the one when he falls on his tuches. Ever-thoughtful Eli decides to take on bagel duty and becomes...the Bagel King.
Sherrie
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the 5th of 15 of the SSYRA Junior books for the 2019-2020 school year that I’ve read so far. This is a very sweet story of traditions and the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren. The Yiddish could be a touch of a challenge in a read aloud, but students will enjoy learning new words.
Nadia L. Hohn
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and very endearing. I like how the bagels were used as a way to bring a community together. I love how the Yiddish words were interwoven through the text. Lovely example of intergenerational/grandpa-grandson relationship.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, cybils
Eli and his zaida share a love for bagels. It's the best part of Sunday for them both. Then Eli's grandfather falls and can't pick up the bagels for them. Eli must do something.

A small story about family and doing for others, combined with a delightful shot of Yiddish culture.
Pam
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every Sunday Zaida brings bagels to share with Eli. One Sunday he slips and falls so no bagels. Eli figures out how to solve this by the next week and surprises Zaida and his friends with bagels just like usual.
The best part of Sunday is not the bagels; it's the time with Zaida.
Lexi
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute, easy to read, and warm-hearted story. Although I did keep wondering where were this kids parents? Overall it will make you yearn to share a warm tradition with someone you love. Oh, and also crave a bagel!
Patricia McLaughlin
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story is a bit schmaltzy and predictable, but well-drawn illustrations convey the abiding love (symbolized by the bagel) shared by family and friends in this Jewish community. Kudos for the intergenerational protagonists.