Start by marking “Serafina and the Splintered Heart (The Serafina Series Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Serafina and the Splintered Heart (The Serafina Series Book 3)

Serafina and the Splintered Heart

(Serafina #3)

The storms are coming....
Something has happened to Serafina. She has awoken into a darkness she does not understand, scarred from a terrible battle, only to find that life at Biltmore Estate has changed in unimaginable ways. Old friends do unthinkable things and enemies seem all around.
A mysterious threat moves towards Biltmore, a force without a name, bringing with it
Published May 1st 2018 by Disney-Hyperion (first published July 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Serafina and the Splintered Heart, please sign up.
Joy In the back of my copy of the book there is an afterword from the author. This is the last book in the Serafina series. However, the author is writing…moreIn the back of my copy of the book there is an afterword from the author. This is the last book in the Serafina series. However, the author is writing a new series with a new character, Willa. The new series is also set at the Biltmore, but is later in time. My family is excited to read it! I don't have a release date though.(less)

Start your review of Serafina and the Splintered Heart (The Serafina Series Book 3)
Bailey Simpson
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Beatty wrote the best book of the series. As soon as I got it I could not put it down.
I am 10 years old and in fourth grade and I read the book in a day and a half.
It is so thrilling, I personally think that people of all ages would love it.
This is nothing like any of the other books I've read, because whenever you think something is going to happen the whole thing starts to change.
The lady that signed me up for this said this was the best book she's read, the best book of the series
Emily
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once in a while, we find a book, a movie, a song that captures both our imagination and our attention. Robert Beatty weaves a story the way a spider weaves silk for a web, cunning mixed with intricate design and detail. With a beautiful blend of a magical world with a historic reality, Beatty takes his readers on an adventure right alongside the characters of his story. You feel their emotion right through the page, and celebrate their strength and triumphs as your own. I have been a fan since ...more
Kimberly Dawn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy to say the third book of this series has not disappointed me, but continues to THRILL!

The book is much darker right from the start. The opening scene in the graveyard is one of the more gruesome scenes I have encountered in a book.

A main character hangs to life by a thread for much of the first part of the book. The sorcerer is determined to kill the guardians and destroy the estate of Biltmore. The battle scenes in book 3 are even more grisly and intense.

The writing is excellent. A
Linda Woodward
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serafina and the Splintered Heart (Serafina 3)

I am grateful to have received an advanced reader copy of Serafina and the Splintered Heart which is a captivating new book written by author Robert Beatty.

This fast-paced book is third in a spooky mystery series about a young girl named Serafina who lives with her pa at the Biltmore Estate, in Asheville, North Carolina. She and her friends are immediately drawn into a new battle with a powerful evil force that threatens the Biltmore Estate and the
Rebecca
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
This series opened strong with Serafina and the Black Cloak but it's been all downhill from there. This third installment is worst of the trilogy with major flaws and few strengths.

Spoilers ahead

I hate unreliable narrators and the book opens with Serafina not realizing that she's a spirit now. Apparently she got split into three parts -- dead human body, spirit, and living panther -- during an unseen battle with a sorcerer who Serafina and Braedon supposedly killed in a past book. Now Uriah is
Alaina
Serafina and the Splintered Heart was a great addition and ending to this trilogy.

Within this book, Serafina finds herself living in the spirit world. It honestly broke my heart so many times that she could see everyone that she loved but that she couldn't touch them, talk to them, or vice versa. At least until Rowena was around and I honestly didn't like her that much.

In the end, I was so glad that Braeden found a way to bring Serafina back because I honestly love their friendship. I just wish
Brandon DeBruhl
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ARC and promised to give an honest review:*

In Serafina and the Black Cloak, Serafina finally learns the truth of her past and where she comes from. In The Twisted Staff, Serafina discovers her true self.

Now in The Splintered Heart, Serafina and her friends will face off against challenges and foes more powerful and dangerous than any they have faced before to once again defend the Biltmore Estate and mountains of which they call home.

During my reading of Serafina and the
Winslow Umberger
From the very beginning, the reader cannot guess what is going to happen. The story opens with a thrilling, anxiety-provoking situation that Serafina has inexplicably found herself in and the reader is left equally -- and continually -- perplexed. The mystery deepens as the plot unfolds, making it almost impossible for the reader to put the book down. Beatty’s highly imaginative tale builds on the previous two books but it is not necessary to have read the other two to thoroughly enjoy this ...more
Harriet Everhart
Absolutely blew me away. Reading Serafina and the Black Cloak and Twisted Staff are a must read first before Splintered Heart. The beginning is a shocker and continues to be full of twist and turns. Great ending as only Robert Beatty can do.
Kathy Davie
Third in the Serafina fantasy-paranormal series for middle-grade readers and revolving around the sweet but fierce Serafina, a shapeshifting girl of twelve, living on the Biltmore Estate of 1900 in North Carolina.

My Take
It's a classic of good versus evil that starts out so scarily. Buried alive? The Black Cloak back and working? Rowena conjuring? Plus the unexpected regrets. Redemption.
"You can accept things the way they are. Or you can make them better."
I do understand why Beatty was so
Susan Ringo
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is outstanding and got better with each installment. I was honored to be asked to be an Advanced Reader because I am a huge fan. And I wouldn't say nice things if I didn't mean them...it's not my style.

I was introduced to this series because the 6th grade teachers at the school where I am the librarian were using it as a grade level read before taking their kids to Biltmore. I am so glad I found this series. Serafina is a smart, special girl who is a great role model for young
Louise Garren
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be given an advance copy to review. In a word, I couldn't put the book down. Especially during the opening chapters, I was completely riveted with the storyline. Later in the book I kept reading in stunned disbelief as to what was happening -- or should I say I was feeling "this can't be happening." To say it is a page turner is an understatement. I had allotted about a week to read the book -- I finished it in just over one day. I love the historical fiction aspect -- as ...more
Lisa Jeffcoat
Kerry Strupp
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Beatty has finished the Serafina series on a high note! The Splintered Heart is by far my favorite of the three, pulling me in with the very first paragraph. And as my fourth-grade son and I realized as we read the book aloud together before bedtime, the author has a knack for arranging the chapter breaks in such a way that it is impossible to stick with my declarations of "only one chapter tonight." Must...keep...reading! We journeyed with these endearing main characters through trial after ...more
Michelle
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I'm so sad it's over! :( I loved how this story started and how it wrapped up. I will miss Serafina, Braeden & Waysa. When I started this series I honestly didn't know what to expect, it had all the great elements of a awesome story and so much more. This is one of my favorite series and I am so looking forward to read more of Robert Beatty's books.

I don't even know where to start, since this is the final book I really want to avoid giving a lot away. The beginning of this book had me
Rudy Howell
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mainly read westerns and by different authors. I especially like the ones where the author describes the surroundings, such as rivers,streams,plants,hills, and the wildlife , with a good knowledge of these things. The best authors study maps,history books, and even visit the places they write about. This is what Robert Beatty must have done. I read the other Serafina books and they were very enjoyable reading but this one is the best. I did not want to put the book down as it has many twists ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A thrilling conclusion to an epic historical fantasy series! Serafina and the Splintered Heart is the perfect ending to a series that's brimming with adventure, unforgettable characters, magic, and friendship.
.............

What an fantastic ending! This is a series I would have devoured as a kid. I've always loved the fantasy element of stories, mixed with historical references, magic, adventure and friendship. This series has all that and so much more. While we have to say good bye to Serafina
Emmaline Neas
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent story!!! It is beyond anything he has done in the series so far! And I'm very pleased with the book! I went to the book signing and met him and his family,...they are very nice and have excellent senses of humor...well done Robert Beaty!!!! It's requested by the author for us not to revel the secrets of the book even in the spoiler alert! But let me say the beginning shocked me and I have to say it was beyond anything I could have imagined at first! And then near chapter 20 ...more
C.J. Milbrandt
In order to protect her home, Serafina must find a way past the most formidable of obstacles ... death. Coffins and catamounts. Floods and flames. Escalation and evacuation. Terror and trust. The conclusion to Serafina's story manages to pull together threads from the whole trilogy. Very satisfying. I especially love how much wisdom Beatty manages to weave through this heart-racing series. A favorite.
Manon
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third installment of the Serafina series was yet another brilliant addition. Robert leads you through the story in the way you are used to: with vivid descriptions strengthened by a magnificent choice of words. He lets you fall in love with the characters, and it leaves you a bit empty when the story is over. In a complete positive way. Really enjoyed this one!
Lindsay
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This was much better than the first and second. By some miracle, the dialect was comprehensible minus a few words! This leads to a major flaw though since The Black Cloak, The Twisted Staff, and The Splintered Heart read as if three different authors wrote them, but I don't care about that since I could finally understand what was going on.
Leah Waters
This book was nothing like I expected...but it was utterly fascinating and, overall, excellent.

In addition to the suspense, fast-paced action, stunning imagery, and loyal characters of the first two books, this one is deep. Serafina goes on an inner journey and discovers what makes you YOU. This book really explores good and evil, and choice, and spirituality.

It's lovely.
Mary Ditmer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful conclusion to the Serafina series.
Carol
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful read by Robert Beatty. It kept me guessing how they were going to solve their problems. I am hoping they make this series into movies.
Kate
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YA book-Love this series. Magical, historical and fun.
Holly Whitfield
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a beautiful read, brimming with brutal imagery. Serafina and the Splintered Heart is definitely a story that now has a special place on my bookshelf. Serafina is a fierce character whom shows boldness and really speaks to the reader.

As the experience unfolds you delve deeper and deeper into the emotion of our heroine, and the immense camaraderie she shares with her fellow friends. This series really shows that the adventure never has to end, as "with every injury, we become more
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

First thing first…it’s still a good book.
But
Here comes the big BUT.
I’ll leave that to the spoiler. So, don’t say I didn’t warn you, since you’ve probably seen tons of great review about this book, most of them five stars. And…the rate is probably driven down by me… The review after the introduction of this book won’t be too…highly praise.
Now…as I said, it’s still a good book and worth reading, and I’d still recommend it to all
Belinda
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the series that includes the Black Cloak and the Twisted Staff. What a fantastic series. The previous two books were page turners and this book was the same. I could not believe the twists and turns, it was brilliantly written. I look forward to reading more about Serafina and Braeden's adventures in future books. Stay Bold!
Dena (Batch of Books)
Wow. Honestly, I’m speechless.

Okay, maybe not speechless (like THAT would ever happen!), but I’m blown away. My socks are officially knocked off.

And really, I shouldn’t be surprised, especially after I enjoyed the first book so much.

After the major twist at the beginning (yes, the beginning), I was hooked. Once I started reading, there was no stopping. I read the entire book in one day because I just couldn’t put it down. I told my kids “good luck” and disappeared into the story.

The twist at
Jil Meadows
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the third time Mr. Beattie pulls us into a fractured world where the glory of the wealthy and assured live surrounded (unknown to them) by dark and supernatural forces intent on their destruction. Serafina straddles these worlds and in this darkest tale of the series, she must pull deep within her own strengths to help those she loves. Not only will she need her power and intelligence, she will also need to trust herself and others, not an easy task where shape-shifters and her own ...more

• The Uprising: Books for kids: A magical children's fantasy series (Magora Book 4)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • The Golden Maple Tree (Magora #2)
  • The Woodspeople: Books for kids: A magical children's fantasy series (Magora Book 5)
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School #5)
  • The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)
  • Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)
  • The Adventures of the Motts
  • The First (Endling #2)
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • Cape (The League of Secret Heroes #1)
  • The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1)
  • The Girl with the Whispering Shadow (The Crowns of Croswald, #2)
  • The 39 Clues #1-11
  • Измамен (Невидим, #2)
  • The Land of Stories Collection 6 Book Set (The Land of Stories, #1-6)
  • Island of Legends (Unwanteds, #4)
  • Simon and his boxes
Robert Beatty is the author of the #1 New York Times best-selling Serafina series published by Disney Hyperion, a spooky mystery-thriller about a brave and unusual girl who lives secretly in the basement of the grand Biltmore Estate.
Serafina and the Black Cloak was a #1 New York Times best seller, has been on the list for more than 60 weeks, and won the prestigious 2016 Pat Conroy Southern Book

Serafina (4 books)
  • Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina, #1)
  • Serafina and the Twisted Staff (Serafina, #2)
  • Serafina and the Seven Stars (Serafina #4)
“Her pa had told her once that true courage wasn’t because you didn’t feel fear. True courage was when you were scared of something, but you did it anyway because it needed to be done.” 7 likes
“Even we ourselves change, learning and growing, getting pulled down and then rebuilding ourselves again. But for all that, there was a rare and hidden thing, maybe the most important thing, that never changed, and that was the spirit deep inside us, the thing we were when we were a child, and the thing we were when we grow up, the thing we are when we’re at home, and the thing we are when we go out into the world—it’s always with us—that inner spirit stays with us through it all, no matter how our body changes from year to year or how the world changes around us. And through all of this, there is one thing we seek. To be connected to the people around us, to touch and be touched, to have a true family and friends of all kinds with which we share the world and its changes. Like our own spirit within us, our family is the hidden, inner core that deep down never changes, the river that is always flowing.” 5 likes