Start by marking “Choose Your Own Disaster” as Want to Read:
Choose Your Own Disaster

Choose Your Own Disaster

A"hilarious and heartbreaking" (Jo Piazza) and unflinchingly honest memoir about one young woman's terrible and life-changing decisions while hoping--and sometimes failing--to find herself, in the style of Never Have I Ever and Adulting.

Join Dana Schwartz on a journey revisiting all of the awful choices she made in her early twenties through the internet's favorite metho
Published June 19th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

Jim Smith
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not read this, but giving it a five star rating to balance out the one star rating by another bloke who hasn't read it. Balance is maintained.

Edit: Noooo! Don't make this the top liked review!!! I'M SO SORRY DANA!
Nat
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Roller Girl 1-- bookspoils
Personality Tests & Modern Feminism

It's known by now that I'm a fan of memoirs, given that I'm easily swept up in the juicy secrets of someone’s thoughts and secrets without having to reciprocate; it's bliss for my nosy self.

With this new release part-memoir, part-VERY long personality test, Choose Your Own Disaster is a manifesto about the millennial experience and modern feminism and how the easy advice of “you can be anything you want!” is actually pretty fucking difficult when there a
Catherine Tinker
Choose Your Own Disaster is 250+ pages of sighing in relief that "oh, thank God, I'm not the only one who has that thought process."

I've been a fan of Schwartz and her Guy In Your MFA account since my junior year of college. I was in a fairly constant back-and-forth of wondering "are we the same person?" and grumbling to myself in jealousy about how she was only a year older than me and so accomplished online (like when I was eleven and thought I was destined to be a famous child actor if Dakota
Joe Cool
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author is asking people on twitter to give this book 5 stars even though it's not out till next month. That's the definition of lame. Giving this one star and will readjust once I've actually read the book. EDIT: I have now read the book and adjusted my rating.

This book was tricky for me because I really do think Dana is a good writer. The pacing and voice of this book was so easy to digest and really likable. There were multiple times when I picked up the book with the intention of reading
Marcela Xavier
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
First I'd like to discourage anyone considering getting the Kindle version. I got it and it made the format a bit annoying. After reading a few reviews here I realised I missed a few (juicy) passages that apparently provide some very welcome context. It's just confusing!

About the book: I really wanted to like it, because I simply love Dana's social media presence. She's been on my feed everyday for god knows how long, so I thought this memoir was going to be an experience close to catching up wi
Hannah Orenstein
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this in one weekend. Dana's voice sucks you in, her stories are alternately laugh-out-loud funny and smartly introspective, and you won't be able to put this one down. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves GIRLS, BuzzFeed quizzes, or Dana's Twitter.
Mel
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
The full title on the cover reads as Choose Your Own Disaster:
A. a memoir
B. a personality quiz
C. a mostly true and completely honest look at one young woman's attempt to find herself
D. all of the above

It was certainly all of that! I bought this initially solely based on the "choose your own adventure" format style it had inside and I was pleasantly surprised to find a humorous romp through Schwartz' recent past in college and just beyond graduation. The combination of the insanity of some of the
Robin Bonne
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dana Schwartz examines her twenties with brutally honest humor using a parody style of the internet quiz. She shares relatable stories about disordered eating, dating the wrong men, mediocre dates, and sexual assault. Her self awareness, and ability to turn life’s tragedies into comedy is what made this a 5 Star memoir.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook.
Emily
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is damn close to being in my 20-or-30-something-female-required-reading category. Though some topics are uncomfortable (BDSM, eating disorders, infidelity), I cringed because I could identify with the desperation at hand. Real, important stories.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-2018
FULL REVIEW TO COME
Andrea Dunlop
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs-i-love
One of the best memoirs I've read in years. I laughed all the way though and cried at the end. Such a smart book.
Nikki Plummer
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I originally wasn't going to read this because I'm extremely jealous of Dana's cool life and thought it would just make me feel bad, but I like her twitter so much that I decided to pick it up and I'm so glad I did. This is such a spot on and relatable account of being in your early twenties - getting stuck in self-destructive spirals, sleeping with people you know you shouldn't, occasional amazing moments of happiness where you can't believe something's worked out. I struggled with the eating d ...more
Courtney
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like this book was tailor-made for me (probably because it's a choose your own adventure disaster book). I've gone through the eating disorders, the depression and loneliness, the anxiety, the insecurities, the mistakes with not good guys, and the overpowering guilt after. Dana did a great job of bringing alllll those feelings back (unfortunately?).

Choose Your Own Disaster is really clever. It gets real without being too much of a downer. And, if you find yourself drawing some similaritie
Jessica
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
2 stars feels low but I can't quite bring myself to go 3 stars (so 2.5?). I love funny women memiors, so I was really looking forward to this, but I just didn't find it that humorous/funny. Also I didn't know much about Dana Schwartz going into the book (true of many of the funny lady memiors I've read and enjoyed) so I didn't realize how young she was. It read very young to me (so perhaps I'm just a 36-year-old curmudgeon).
Melody
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t recommend reading the ebook version, missed whole chucks of the book the first time around.
Mainon
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Torn between 3 and 4 stars. It was well-written and funny and uncomfortable and charming and vulnerable, so the protagonist (me, since the book is written in the second person, in true Choose Your Own Adventure fashion) was immensely sympathetic to me. And yet, when I got to the (an) end, I didn't feel that the whole story was substantial enough. There were vignettes of incredible detail (a visit to the family business--funeral home--of your sexually dominant lawyer boyfriend), but they were fre ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book is fantastic because it is not only fun, but flawed and real. Life is sometimes a series of disasters, but that is part of the learning process. If we cannot learn through our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them, right?!?! Schwartz has created a book that is original and makes the reader feel like all the disasters in their past are more normal than not. Sometimes is takes a few times to get it right and the twists and turns in the road of life and the ones that lead us to where we a ...more
Hizatul Akmah
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
actual rating: 4.7/5

You like the idea of killing yourself but hate the idea of being dead. You just want to not exist.

Dana is literally one of my favourite persons to follow on Twitter and my god, her writings are to live for!!
i had a few moments of "uh oh" and "what the hell???" while reading this and honestly speaking, this is one of the best written memoirs out there. so cleverly put and emotionally relatable.

Whoever you want to be, just start here and let be her now. Every day you get to
Marissa
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heidi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book to meet a reading challenge prompt. Rather, i didn't read the entire book--I chose a series of "disasters" until I reached the end. I did back up a couple of times to read other paths, but I just wasn't engaged enough to make sure I covered the whole thing. I just didn't resonate with the book at all, though there was one disaster that I found well-written, heart-wrenching, and humane, and that alone was worth 1 star. I think the 2nd-person narration was a barrier for me.
MJ Lee
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the "Choose your own adventure"/"Personality Quiz" style of the book. The second person point of view was well done and made the memoir feel a lot more personal - which really worked for me because I related so strongly to many of the sections. I felt like I was truly living through Schwartz's life instead of her simply TELLING me about what happened in her life.
My only criticism is that sometimes, it was a little confusing to tell the difference between what actually happened
Emily O'Brien Miranda
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
We can all relate to her “mistakes” on some level. It was fun to read in the style of “Choose Your Own Adventure” books from my childhood! Quick and easy.
Remi Foliage
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sorry, but I just have no idea what this is.
Avery Epstein
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
i know her!
Jake Steinberg
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dana Schwartz is a star and everyone should read this book!! It can totally be that new book you tell people to read when they ask for recommendations on Facebook.
Davina
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so funny and I thought the "choose your own adventure" conceit was interesting without feeling gimmicky or taking away from the narrative. Can't wait for whatever she publishes next!
Uma
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
fuck this made me cry
Denise
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one! In my mind, this is more of a 3.5? But I'm rounding up because I generally think Dana Schwartz is awesome.

There are moments in this memoir where (as cliche as it sounds) I felt insanely SEEN. Like, "OH SHIT, I'm not the only person in the world who has had this terrible thought about _____." I loved Dana's candidness about her own flaws and failings, about her weaknesses, about some of the more horrible things she's gone through, but also, about her strengths. She is unapol
Meghan
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lent-out, arc
I received this as an Advanced Reading copy through Indigo (#IndigoEmployee).

I was originally curious when I saw this on our list of available books, since it's listed under "poetry" and, having never read any books in the poetry category before, I thought I had a clear idea of what poetry looked like. One or two words per line, arranged in a fancy shape, maybe some rhyming.

This book is not that (thankfully, in my opinion). It's set up in a personality quiz that wraps around a very honest memo
Nikki Boisture
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedian-books
I love Dana Schwartz on Twitter, and Guy in your MFA is one of the very few actual genius Twitter accounts. I expected this book to be a light and breezy memoir from an up and coming writer/comedian. It was actually a lot deeper than I thought. Sure there were a few light-hearted anecdotes, but mostly Dana is incredibly self-reflective over her eating disorder, her questionable choices in guys, and her sexual assault. She's obviously a gifted writer, and I look forward to reading other things sh ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • American Splendor: Another Dollar
  • Memoirs of the Author of a Vindication of the Rights of Woman
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman
  • John McAfee's Last Stand
  • Uncorking the Past: The Quest for Wine, Beer, and Other Alcoholic Beverages
  • Flunk. Start.: Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology
  • False Impressions (Stamping Sisters, #3)
  • The Private Eye, Volume One
  • Cuba: My Revolution
  • L'instinct de mort
  • 9-11, Volume One: Artists Respond (9-11 Artists Respond, #1)
  • The Creative Writing MFA Handbook: A Guide for Prospective Graduate Students
  • Miss Fortune: Fresh Perspectives on Having It All From Someone Who Is Not Okay
  • Warren Ellis: The Captured Ghosts Interviews
  • Ayrton Senna: The Whole Story
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 1
  • Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
“WHICH FAKE ROM-COM LADY CAREER SHOULD YOU PURSUE?

...Think Bond girl—you’re incredibly smart in the one specific area that just so happens to help the protagonist in this one very specific instant of the plot. “Give me that,” you’ll say, snatching the hieroglyph from the hero’s hand. “I have two PhDs in cryptozoological translation.” You’ll shove the hero aside from the beeping machine. “I’m NASA’s top-ranking expert in nuclear disarmament techniques.” Does it make sense? No, but who cares? You are very, very pretty. And smart, definitely smart because even though you look like a supermodel and wear very sexy clothing and a full face of makeup, you are also wearing glasses. Sure, twenty-four looks a little young to have three PhDs but they’re pretty sure making you smart in whatever will move the plot forward means this movie is feminist. You will either end up running away with the hero, or you will die. Apologies.”
1 likes
“It’s still a fairy-tale city....“These are the streets that inspired J. K. Rowling to write Harry Potter,” tour guides boast as you scan the cobblestone and crooked storefronts, eyes wide with wonder.
Harry Potter lore is treated like a relic of Jesus himself.”
0 likes