Start by marking “Hello Hello” as Want to Read:
Hello Hello

Hello Hello

This gorgeous follow-up to the Caldecott Honor–winning They All Saw a Cat explores another aspect of seeing the world for young children. Beginning with two cats, one black and one white, a chain of animals appears before the reader, linked together by at least one common trait. From simple colors and shapes to more complex and abstract associations, each unexpected ...more
Published March 20th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello Hello, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Hello

Start your review of Hello Hello
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Starting with one white and one black cat thus starts a chain of Hellos that showcase the diversity of the world, but also what brings us together in one great chain. A celebration of similarities and opposites sure to delight reader young and old.

OMG THIS BOOK! when I requested it all I could make out was the bright animals on the cover with a white background. My nephew has been struggling with sleep lately and drawing has been
Kelli
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is perfection! The author finds a commonality to connect each animal and the result is an eye-catching thing of beauty. Spare rhyming prose, mixed media designs, and brightly-colored, happy animals will appeal to young children, while the meaningful author’s note encourages children to embrace learning about and advocating for these interesting, often unknown animals. A simply joyful celebration of animals!
Niki Marion
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Design-wise, Brendan Wenzel nailed this picturebook. Each spread's composition is perfectly balanced, he uses the gutter impeccably, and one animal leads readers onto the next page with sneaky ease. Simple but not simplistic, this picturebook is great for toddlers with its sparse yet evocative text and brilliantly eye-catching illustrations. The endpapers? Lovely transition from animals in relief to animals in color. For older kiddos who want to learn more about endangered species, Wenzel ...more
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Colors, patterns, shapes, spots, stripes, and more!

Hello Hello by Brendan Wenzel shows off animals of all shapes and sizes. These long pages perfectly display the big paws, feathery wings, and eyes full of warmth and welcome. I loved the eye contact between the animals! Look right in the faces of these animals and say “HELLO”. Some you’ll know. And others you won’t. My favorite part of the book was the list of animals in order of appearance at the end of the book. There are so many to meet! I’m
La Coccinelle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, non-fiction
At first glance, this book seems deceptively simple. Basic rhyming text is paired with detailed illustrations of all kinds of colourful creatures. It isn't until you get to the end and the author's note that you start to realize how much work actually went into this book. There are ninety-two animals depicted on the pages, some of them rather obscure, so the amount of research that had to be done is quite evident.

The basic premise here is introducing all these weird and wonderful animals to
KC
Awesome. Delightful. Colorful. Engaging.
Danielle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brilliantly clever and deeply meaningful at the same time. Animals, art, wonder, and the way we're all connected, and can be—by beginning with hello.
Abigail
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Animal & Nature Lovers / Brendan Wenzel Fans
Hello Hello may be my favorite yet, of all the amazing picture-books that author/artist Brendan Wenzel has produced - and that's saying something! A simple sing-song text is paired with gorgeous illustrations here, as the reader is introduced to a dizzying array of animals, some threatened, some endangered, all beautiful. Each two-page spread explores some characteristic or theme, from color (or the lack thereof) to behavior, that connects various animal species, or sets them apart.

I enjoyed
Amy!
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful. I love his art.
Alyx Campbell
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This one is so creative with simple text. Great intentional use of patterns, colors and using illustrations to tell a whole other story. I especially loved the table of contents.
Baby Bookworm
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Hello Hello by Brendan Wenzel, a delightful look at wild animals, and all that our furry, finned, and feathered friends have in common.

Using a tremendously clever visual device in which each animal shares something in common with the one on either side of it, we are taken through a wild tour of the animal kingdom and the many unique creatures that are found
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A colorful introduction to the wide variety of animals in the world, with gentle clues as to some of their key features, and a wonderful overall message.
Beverly
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-general
Fantastic illustrations rendered in cut paper, colored pencil, oil pastels, and marker. Two double page spreads at the back of the book identify the various animals depicted in the book.
Jillian Heise
Beautiful, in illustrations and message. With simple text and engaging illustrations, it's fun to see so many unique animals, and especially to see the commonalities. Be sure to share the author's note when you read it with kids to understand why Brendan chose the animals he did, and to understand the precarious state of many of them. I can see this sparking some great inquiry and research in schools.
Kim
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A stunning visual masterpiece! Be sure to read the author's note at the end as the book serves a special purpose. ...more
Dylan Teut
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Freaking genius of a book. And to think, Brendan is only at the beginning of his career!
Heidi
Wenzel has created an beautiful book about animals with a rather unusual premise. The book starts by introducing animals that are black and white, basic colors, then moves to more colorful animals. He continues by introducing animals that have stripes and spots, then animals of different sizes, then animals with unusual tongues, ears, hands and noses. It's a brilliant strategy starting with the simple (black and white cats) to the more complex. What makes it even more brilliant is the way he ...more
Becki Iverson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My nephews have been very into the zoo lately so this seemed like a perfect Christmas gift - and I was right! The vibrant illustrations here are gorgeous and remind me of Eric Carle a little (who may be my favorite children's author, so that is extremely high praise!). I love that the animals chosen are all so unique, which is sure to keep kids interested beyond the basic been there-done that farm animals you find in all children's books. I also love that this is tied to environmental and ...more
Mary Ann
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This picture book will delight young readers, saying hello to different animals. Read the spare rhymes slowly, encouraging readers to notice how the animals are similar and different. "Hello Stripes. Hello Spots." Sure, tigers have stripes and cheetahs have spots, but what about fish and lizards? Which they have stripes and spots, too! I especially love the way Wenzel gives clues on each page of what's coming next--the whale shark's spotted tail, leads into: "Hello Giant. Hello Not." Wenzel's ...more
Theresa Grissom
Thank you to Edelweiss+ for a copy of this absolutely beautiful picture book!!

I had heard a lot about this before receiving it and was excited to download it. LOVED this pictures in this book. The pictures are wonderful and the story simple. Enjoyed the author's note and following pictures at the end. At first I thought this would be too young for my library but have decided I will definitely be purchasing and sharing in my school. My 4th grade son read it with me and kept saying, "wait, go
The Library Lady
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful animal art. The rhyme falters once near the end, but the rhythm is excellent, though stopping to enjoy the pictures would probably break the reading pattern. I am not sure if I'd use this for a group, but I would for any animal loving child. The end notes name all the specific breeds of animals, with depressing information on the fact that many are endangered, but overall there is charm and a subtle message about the wonders and variety of the animal world.
Janet
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun title, with sparse words the author/illustrator draws attention with colorful animals on white backgrounds to various features of animals: spots, stripes, colors, habits, etc. Included are four pages of silhouettes identifying the 94 animals presented in the non cluttered illustrations with a listing of their conservation status.
Super visual experience.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Hello gorgeous illustrations with all the little details. I love the animals, and the simple text. However, I love the way the story is told in the pictures as well. I love that the animal on the far right of the page is the first animal on the left of the next page.

Stunning book. I wouldn't mind owning this one. I think art teachers could read this one in their class.
Emily
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever contrasting (not always opposite) words highlight real animals drawn in a way that is both cute and "illustrator-ly" at the same time as being true to details of the actual animals. The author's note in the back highlights that many of these (his favorite animals) are endangered and close to it. He also lists each animal with another illustration to reference.
Emma
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Putting this on my list of books to buy for my own collection. Beautiful and unique illustrations. Loved looking up all the different animals he illustrated (there's a list in the back). Lilting, rhythmic text.
Zoe's Human
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt
This brightly colored rhyming book is a delight to look at. Page by page a string of animals are compared and contrasted by colors, sizes, positions, patterns, relationships, and even more. Suitable for themes of comparison, greetings, and animals.

Appropriate for ages 3 to 5.
Frank
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book for young readers. The illustrations are down in watercolor and include very vibrant colors. The story is rhythmical and would be playful for young readers. ....
Emily Geilman
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book - EL ED 340
I absolutely love this book. Such a fun comparison of animals with great illustrations and fun mood. I definitely want this book in my classroom.
Peacegal
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This happy, vibrant book introduces a variety of exotic animals, and will be an instant attention-grabber for kids.
J. Bryce
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really nice and colorful, gentle book about animals.

For the animal-lover in us all!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• They Say Blue
  • This Is the Nest That Robin Built
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • A Parade of Elephants
  • A House That Once Was
  • A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
  • All the Animals Where I Live
  • Pie Is for Sharing
  • The Big Umbrella
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • Thank You, Omu!
Brendan Wenzel is an author and illustrator based in upstate New York. His debut picture book, They All Saw a Cat, was a New York Times bestseller and the recipient of a 2017 Caldecott Honor. An ardent conservationist, he is a proud collaborator with many organizations working to ensure the future of wild places and threatened species.