Start by marking “Ship It” as Want to Read:
Ship It

Ship It

CLAIRE is a sixteen-year-old fangirl obsessed with the show Demon Heart. FOREST is an actor on Demon Heart who dreams of bigger roles. When the two meet at a local Comic-Con panel, it's a dream come true for Claire. Until the Q&A, that is, when Forest laughs off Claire's assertion that his character is gay.

Claire is devastated. After all, every last word of her super-
Published May 1st 2018 by Freeform

To ask other readers questions about Ship It, please sign up.

Madison
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
* I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

It’s truly astounding to me that dozens of people read this book before it got to this final form--agents, editors, trusted friends and loved ones--and presumably not one person thought to compassionately but firmly say, “yeah, no, this probably shouldn’t be published.”

(Naturally, this review is full of spoilers, and no, I won’t tag them. I will, however, tell you that in this review I do mention homophobia and p
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I shade my eyes and look out and see…girls. Women. Moms, daughters, friends. All screaming.

“Fangirls,” I whisper to Rico

Lawd. This book is like Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl but worse (if that's even possible). Y'all know how much I love that book. Holy shit this was bad.

This book is dumb. I know I use that ever-so-eloquent word for many book reviews, but what can I say? It's simple. It's concise. It is (in my ever-so-humble-opinion) accurate. Again, warning, much cursing ahead.

This book gives fan
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
1 Star

Fetishization ≠ Representation

There are some reads so poorly constructed I don’t hesitate to slap a one-star on them and move on. But this book has lingered in my thoughts for weeks... because it’s a completely different kind of awful. Because this really, really tried. It really wants to open a discussion about how some girls—especially queer girls find a place in fandom. But this discussion devolves into an incredibly misguided, tone-deaf monologue.

Our main character, Claire, is obsesse
kav (xreadingsolacex)
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This in no way impacted my review.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: MAJOR HOMOPHOBIA, PHYSICAL ASSAULT, BORDERLINE RACISM, QUESTIONABLE WEIRD-ASS BEHAVIOR

**Note: This is a somewhat ramble-y review that may contain minor spoilers, so read it at your own risk.**

Ship It is young-adult contemporary novel about fandom and queerness, where our main character Claire is a fan-fiction writer who attends a Con and asks one of her heroes if
Mackenzi
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this is one of the good ones.

Blurb to come.
Lola
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The cover may imply otherwise, but this is actually a very intense, sometimes even dark, story. Not dark as in terrifying, but as in ‘‘the fandom world has gone bloody mad’’.

Fans gone wild.

The story centers around two key characters: Claire, a fanfiction writer who ships Smokey and Heart—the two heroes of her favourite TV show—together as a gay couple, and Forest, the actor who plays Smokey.

When Forest tells Claire that she is crazy for thinking that his character is gay and in lov
Beej
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I should start out with something at least trying to be witty here like “I don’t ship it” or this book could be called “shit it” instead of what it is but my brain is melted from reading this garbage so here we are.

I’ll get right in to it, this book is riddled with problems. It starts with Claire writing fic and being judgemental to another girl who just asks her about a homework question. But she’s not Claire and doesn’t know fandom so clearly she doesn’t matter here. The bitch.

Anyway, Claire
Rachael
”I want you to picture something for a second. I know you feel like an underdog…But imagine if you were a teenager again, and, instead of being a scrawny, uncool, nerdy kid, you were a scrawny, uncool, nerdy, gay kid. Or… what if you were all that plus black? Or disabled? Or trans? Or anything? Who would your superheroes be then? What costumes would you wear on Halloween?”

Y’all, this book was freaking amazing. It had good representation, and it was wholesome, and it was cute, and it dealt with
C.G. Drews
I'm kind of awkward about this one because it contained a lot of messy problematic characters, and yes, there were solid character arcs, but I felt really uncomfortable (and often mad) reading their behaviours.

(However it's really awesome that it's queer #ownvoices and the author writes for Riverdale!)
aer
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I knew I had to read this book after my favorite gossip site tore it to shreds... and good god, they were spot on. To start, let me just say that it glorifies everything that is wrong with fan culture. It's one of the most infuriating novels I've ever read. …And I wrote 2000 words on this -so buckle up!

This review is full of spoilers. Actually, it's a complete synopsis (with my biased opinion).

There are some batshit crazy fandoms out there (Supernatural & Teen Wolf (for starters)) and this
Catherine ♡
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn. This was amazing.

I read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and honestly it was the most boring and disappointing book ever - and I've read some that are similar and I never found a book that accurately described what it was like to be a fangirl. This book gets pretty darn close.

I'm not going to sit back and pretend that the main characters were without fault - in fact, everyone was downright annoying and horrible at times. But I don't know, I kind of liked that at the end, everyone made up for it
Riley Redgate
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
hi here are my official Blurb Thoughts:
I can't stop smiling about this book--a winsome, emotionally rich joyride through the parallel worlds of fame and fandom and self-discovery. This is the perfect story for our current moment, as vibrant and funny as it is thoughtful and political, and packed so full of heart that it made mine skip a few beats. SHIP IT is utterly irresistible.

and here are some thoughts with worse grammar

firstly. dude it’s great to read a book about fandom clearly written by
Brenda Ayala
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yallwest-2018
SPOILERS.

Claire is a bitch.

There, I said it. She is an incredibly selfish person who can’t see past her own nose long enough to see how her actions influence others. She successfully hurts Tess, Jamie (whose portrayal as the “villain” is its own issue), and Forest and then REFUSES TO APOLOGIZE TO ANY OF THEM except Tess.

And just because the author chose to have things all work out all nice and pretty in the end, I’m supposed to accept that what she did was right?

She butted in where she wasn
M.K. England
Folks, this is the book I've been waiting for. Fandom is so close to my heart, especially the kind of fandom depicted in this book, and I've so wanted someone to give us a voice in a way that is honest, powerful, and authentic. THIS IS THAT BOOK. I always worry with fandom books that they'll have a sort of outside-looking-in perspective that doesn't quite get or fully respect fandom, but SHIP IT is definitely not like that. Every word of it reads so authentically that I kinda wonder if Britta Lu ...more
Jaye Berry
Jun 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have never hated a book as much as I hate this one.

It's cringey, all the characters are actually awful, and almost every single thing that happens is ridiculous to the point where it doesn't even try to be realistic. Of course while lecturing on and on about things that, you know, the audience of this book knows already.

It shows the awful side of fandom, and the awful side of those teenagers who think they are entitled to whatever they want in a show that they didn't create, and have actually
Bethany
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I love everything about this book! I really needed something fun and this was just perfect, and surprisingly nuanced as well. Ship It is in many ways a love letter to fangirls and to awkward teenagers who are trying to figure out who they are. Claire is a 16-year-old girl who is kind of a loner but writes slash fan-fiction based on her current favorite TV show Demon Heart. But when she attends a convention panel and asks about her "ship" of the two male leads (wanting to know if ...more
TJL
Nov 03, 2017 marked it as to-read
NOTE: 5/9/2018: I have not read the book yet. Below is my expectation of the book based on the summary.

So basically it's a book validating the whiny, entitled shippers who throw a bitch-fit whenever their slash pairing isn't made canon and the actors and crew-members refuse to validate their fictional pairings.

I know something like this happened in real life, and Demon Heart makes me think it may have been the Supernatural fandom (which, incidentally, has a huge host of female fans who harass ac
Trevor
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, apl, lady-lovin, lgbtq, tlb, ya
1.5* for this toxic & questionable read.

I'll start by saying I admire Lundin's decision to write about a topic that isn't talked about much in fandoms, the downsides. This is NOT a cutesy feel-good read like FANGIRL; I kind of wish the cover depicted that, because this was so much heavier than I expected.

We have Claire, whose obsession with the TV show Demon Heart leads her to a panel where she'll get to see the lead actors, Forest & Rico. Claire is obsessed with the concept that their
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
So great! Super adorable girl/girl teen romance that also feels very real and flawed (with an on-the-page pansexual identified character!). I really liked how Lundin resisted the urge to make her characters 'good.' Not only does this book deal beautifully with fandom, shipping, fan fic, and geek culture (the good, bad, and ugly), it's also a thoughtful exploration of a questioning teen. You have to suspend your disbelief a bit with some plot points, but this didn't bother me at all.

Perhaps my fa
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Hachette Australia for review.

Likes

1) How much Britta Lundin got fandom

I really like reading stories about characters with fandoms they’re passionate about because they hit very close to home. I have fandoms I’m passionate about, and ships I ship. And the way Lundin wrote about fandom and shipping… it was clear that it was something she understands. She wrote the feelings that come along with loving something so much, and wanting a ship to happen so bad incre
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publisher-sent
I absolutely loved this book! The characters were great, and loved books about fandoms. Claire was a great and interesting protagonist going through a clear arc about friendship, love, and discoveries about her own sexuality. Forest, the other protagonist, is the hero of the show that Claire writes fanfic about, and he has a lot of growth to do as well. I loved the side characters, Forest's cast mate, and the adorable love interest for Claire. Claire's mom was another great character. The pacing ...more
Morgane Moncomble
This book is all about fandom and queerness, so obviously I thought I would love it.

It started very well ; it was funny and very relatable. Fandom + lgbt characters: my whole life. The book is divided into two points of view; Claire, a teenage girl obsessed with Demon Heart, a TV show that reminds us of Supernatural, and who writes gay fan fiction about it. Then we have Forest, the actor playing Smokey in the TV show. They meet during a panel, when Claire speaks up and asks if Smokey and Heart,
Sara
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The was such a cute and quick contemporary and I’m glad a read it!
Carolyne
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I can't say I expected something else when I finished Ship It by Britta Lundin. I got exactly what I expected when I first read the synopsis for a book about a '16 year old fan girl who is obsessed with the show called Demon Heart', who meets an actor from the show at a panel and asks him about her favorite slash pairing from that show. Everything after that is handled poorly, from how Forest handles himself, to how Claire handles herself, to the the far fetched plot that just wouldn't quit.

Shi
Kit Frick
Mar 02, 2018 added it
Shelves: lgbtq-ya, ya-lit
Britta Lundin's SHIP IT is absolutely delightful, and hoooboy does it break all the YA rules in a really exciting way. First off, I learned so much about fandom, and you can tell right away you're in fantastic hands with Lundin--she knows the world of TV writing and fandom culture inside and out, and she's absolutely the right creator for this book. Things I never see done in YA (and I read *a lot* of YA) that Lundin pulls off seamlessly in SHIP IT: 1) the book is dual-POV (Demon Heart megafan a ...more
Max Baker
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

Hey, look. It's a book about fandom. Never seen that before. Ship It is another in a long line of fandom related books, but this one had a technical aspect to it that not a lot of other books have, mostly, I assume, is because of Lundin's own background in TV. It added a lot of authenticity to the story and, set it apart from a lot of other books that focus on the same topics.

Books about fandom are all the ra
Eeva
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly the thing that gives fangirls a bad name.
I was so excited to read it. It started out really good and it was super promising but it turned out so so SO bad.
I rolled my eyes so much that I almost saw my brain.

Ok, a bit of background:
This book is basically based on one specific moment from a Supernatural JerseyCon Panel in 2013.
A fan asked Jensen Ackles about sexy vibes between Dean and Castiel and Jensen told her not to spoil the show for everyone.
The girl run away in tears, J
Jenni Frencham
A story of fandoms, fanfic, and finding yourself.

Claire is obsessed with the show DemonHeart; she has watched each episode multiple times, reads all the fanfic, and even writes some of her own. She couldn't be more excited when she finds out that the actors will be at the local ComicCon. When Claire uses the Q&A time at the panel to ask about a possible relationship between the two main characters - both male - she couldn't be more disappointed by the actor's reaction. Now Claire is determin
Sara
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
OHMYGODDESS! MY PEOPLE! queers & fandom nerds!!!!!
so many amazing parts about being yourself and representation and feminism and romance and awkwardness and friendship. if you've ever been made to feel bad because of your love for something or someone, or for doing what feels right to you despite normie societal pressure, then this is your freakin book.
Gerard Villegas
Okay, we got this in manuscript form so there is no preliminary ARC or galley ready with a cover but the publishing rep and our book buyers were debating back and forth about the subject matter. For those that are big fans of genre based pop culture shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, MTV's Teen Wolf, and just about every anime, manga, and literature work out there, there is a community of fanfiction lovers who sometimes wish their two favorite characters would get together even t ...more
Britta Lundin is a TV writer, novelist, and comic book writer. She currently writes on the hit CW show Riverdale. A longtime fanfiction reader and writer, she can track her life milestones by what she was shipping at the time. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she now lives with her wife and their lime tree in Los Angeles. Follow her on Twitter @brittashipsit.
“Of course I know what she means. To make art in fandom is to follow your passion at the risk of never being taken seriously. I've written dozens of fics-put them together and you'd have several novels-but who knows what a college admissions officer will think of that as a pastime. Where does 12,000 Tumbler followers rate in relation to a spot in the National Honor Society in their minds? Every week I get anonymous messages in my inbox telling me I should write a real book. Well, haven't I already? What makes what I do different from "real writing"? Is it that I don't use original characters? I guess that makes every Hardy Boys edition, every Star Wars book, every spinoff, sequel, fairy-tale re-telling, historical romance, comic book reboot, and the music Hamilton "not real writing". Or is it that a real book is something printed, that you can hold in your hand, not something you write on the internet? Or is "real writing" something you sell in a store, not give away for free? No, I know it's none of these things. It's merely this: "real writing" is done by serious people, whereas fanfiction is written by weirdos, teenagers, degenerates, and women.” 5 likes