Start by marking “Dad By My Side” as Want to Read:
Dad By My Side

Dad By My Side

A heartwarming celebration of the special relationship between a father and daughter from Instagram sensation Soosh.
Whether they're playing make-believe, making you smile, or warding off monsters under the bed, dads are always there when you need them. Debut picture book artist Soosh celebrates fathers with a gorgeously illustrated and moving story about the parent-child b
Published May 8th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dad By My Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dad By My Side

Start your review of Dad By My Side
Krissy
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-tristan
So cute! And I adored the illustrations :)
Mathew
A beautiful series of vignettes showing a touching and sensitive bond between a daughter and her father, Dad By My Side has an interesting story to share in its conception. Posting images on Instagram of a large mountain of a man with his little daughter in roles more often associated with the a mother, perhaps, Soosh's illustrations drew a lot of attention and, a year later, were given words and a structure and placed into a picturebook.
Created 'during a difficult period' in her life, Soosh wa
La Coccinelle
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is so, so sweet. If only every child could have a father like the one in this book.

There's really no plot here, just vignettes of precious moments between a father and his child. They're there for each other, they help each other, and they teach each other. It's the kind of relationship every child deserves, and the sort that every parent should aspire to.

The illustrations are truly beautiful.

What more is there to say? This is just a lovely little book.
Ghazaal B.
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this and my tears are falling out of my control.
Phoebe Ledster
I really enjoyed reading this book because it was full of love and comfort and you can easily tell this by the illustrations which depict the loving relationship between the two characters- a daughter and her father. The physical contrast between the two characters along with the narrative brings a sense of safety and security which they share. There is an obvious question which runs throughout this story, which is "Where is mum?". However, the story is so much more than that question and focuse ...more
Eloise Battey
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book shows a dad taking on all roles in their child's life, perhaps ones in which a mother is usually depicted. Whilst subtly challenging stereotypes it also offers a simple heart warming story.
Aliza Werner
A sweet relationship between a father and his daughter.
Ana Gutierrez
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the beautiful and simple drawings in this book. The brief but meaningful sentences for each are lovely as well.
Nick Swarbrick
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, yes, of course, with some clever insights- Dad on the edge of the bed while small daughter takes up the rest; the implicit eye contact when they break eggshell into their omelets - but deeper than this, the unspoken story of the absent mother. Her invisibility at once challenges the reader with “Why doesn’t Mum make the dresses?” and then makes us think where Mum might be, and then about roles for fathers, burying a pet turtle, teaching chess, playing (unsuccessfully) with a hoolah ...more
Nouruddine
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-adult
Margie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it's hard to believe twenty-four years have passed since I lost him. Not a day goes by without something he said, something he did or something he taught me finding its way into my thoughts. He was well aware of the strength a woman, regardless of her age, needs in this world. Much of the freedom and independence I enjoy is a result of him.

Fathers, even when they age and even with their faults, are giants in the eyes of daughters. Debut author illustrator Soosh presents a uniquely war
Erin
Simple and sweet.

As much as I love this as a simple celebration of the dad figure, my favorite part is that Dad can do anything. Not "anything" of the leap buildings in a single bound variety, but just... anything. Dad can cook, put on a puppet show, work, do hair, sew, travel, feel emotions, help others deal with emotions, play chess, go camping, read a newspaper, be a superhero. It's just so nice to see a dad not being depicted as idiotically macho or incapable of caring.
Fran
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-shelf
I have a crush on dad.
Ruth Heslop
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was on my list of betterment. I liked how this book challenged stereotypes of what a Father is. The illustrations were touching and tender; showing the special relationship between a Father and his daughter. The story at times did feel like it could have had more of a narrative, but after researching more about the book, seeing that it was based on instagram photos by an artist, I can understand how the story may lack a narrative sense to it. Still enjoyed the book and would read again ...more
Amy Carter
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks for the recommendation Ruby! I loved this book a lot, it was very sweet. The message throughout highlighted the importance of supporting each other which was very heartwarming to read. Perfect to use in PSHE to discuss relationships with a class.
Holly Strange
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So Cute!!! I'm here for this big single dad and his daughter!
Marsha
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adults often don’t think of how we appear to children. Whether we’re playing with them or yelling at them, we don’t realize that we are immense figures to them. We tower over them and overwhelm their lives as mighty force, almost magical in our strength and size. I have childhood memories of my father being a giant with a booming voice, strong enough to lift me up in his arms. It is disconcerting to meet him now and see him as a gray-haired, bent figure, walking with a cane and smaller than myse ...more
Sandy Brehl
This is a new classic, IMO, on several counts:
illustrations that generate both smiles and heart-tugs,
universally applicable situations
Exaggerations of size and proportion that completely reflect the outsized perceptions of both young children and the adult caregivers, especially men.

The author/illustrator note articulates what I felt throughout out, indicating the symbolism was intentional but never heavy-handed: from the hair/beard links to a Samson-like power, or perhaps a Paul Bunyan-esque
Angela
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew I recognized the illustrations from online somewhere, and it was later revealed in the bio that the illustrations originally began as images posted on Instagram! I loved this book, short, sweet, and heartwarming rendition of the love that a little girl has for her dad.
Shanley
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i can't get over these gorgeous and heart-warming illustrations!
Bianca Orellana
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
The story and the illustrations are adorable, and the message is universal -- though the story is about a daddy/daughter duo, my husband read it to our son and they enjoyed it just as much.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love, family
Utterly heartwarming and adorable.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Dad by my Side by Soosh. PICTURE BOOK. Little Brown and Company, 2018. $17. 9780316438087

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

The illustrations in this book are watercolor depictions of a tiny girl and her large father. Together they make each other smile and help each other. One particularly charming illustration shows the dad sewing with the daughter and another shows them cuddling in bed with the daughter taking up the bulk of the space.

I am completely enchanted by the
Beth
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the sweetest father-daughter relationships I’ve ever seen in a book. The father is a gentle giant and represents the exact opposite of toxic masculinity. He shows readers what gentle masculinity is about.
Bobby Adkins
Great book, it was just perfect. The book does a great job relating to home. The only drawback is that not everyone has the same home. I also did not find that to be a big deal because you should know your kid. It was a very good book if you would like to teach kids a lesson.
Jaclyn Fitzgerald
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I honestly loved this book. It was so relatable to me and my father. The illustration are adorable and really show what a father will do for his little girl.
DeA
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book honestly made me cry. I totally recommend sharing this book with a father figure in your life and the children too.
Ben Hagan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its great to see a book that utilising as the protagonist. Soosh's illustrations in the book are simple yet effective, as is the language. A nice read and I particularly enjoyed seeing the dad in a new light, breaking stereotypes, but ultimately it is the bond between the little girl and her dad that makes it an enjoyable read.
Diane
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
“With Dad by my side, I can reach the stars.”

A beautiful tribute to the love and connection between a girl and her father. Wonderfully simple, yet very powerful. Would make a great gift for a new or soon-to-be new father.
Pms Mrsmoose
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this mountain of a man and his daughter in this book. So touching and a great example for a single dad text.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• So Happy Together!
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • The Storm Whale
  • Grandad's Island
Soosh (Снежана Суш) is a self-taught, self-employed illustrator from Europe. Who has become known to the world after her watercolor series of illustrations showing heartwarming relationships between father and daughter went viral in the beginning of 2016. In 2017 she has signed a contract with Little Brown Books for Young Readers to publish her debut book “Dad by my side” which is due in May, 2018 ...more

News & Interviews