Start by marking “Just One of the Boys” as Want to Read:
Just One of the Boys

Just One of the Boys

(The Chicago Falcons #1)

Alice Bell has one goal: to play for the elite junior hockey team the Chicago Falcons. But when she’s passed over at tryouts for being a girl, she’ll do anything to make her dream a reality…even disguising herself as her twin brother. With her amazing skills on the ice, Alice is sure she’ll fit in easily. That is, until she starts falling for one of her teammates…

Hayden Tr
Paperback
Published October 2nd 2017 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Crush)

To ask other readers questions about Just One of the Boys, please sign up.
Leah Rooper Hi Julia!
Hi Julia!
I'm so glad you liked Just One of the Boys. We actually have two more books in this series coming out. The first one comes out in June and stars Hayden's teammate Daniel, and Alice's friend Madison. The third book in the series is scheduled for November. And they will both feature LOTS of Hayden and Alice! :)(less)
Leah Rooper Hi! There are two sequels both are out! Just One of the Royals and Just Pretending! :)

Start your review of Just One of the Boys
AleJandra
Pop Sugar Reading Challenge 2018
Un libro con personajes que son gemelos.

"When my blades hit the ice, it’s like I can breathe, as if I’ve been drowning and finally coming up for air."

description

Mi primer libro Young Adult del 2018.
Alguna vez han visto la película She’s the man, pues si les gusto, les recomiendo inmensamente que lean este libro, ya que prácticamente son la misma historia, solo que en vez de soccer aquí se habla de hockey.

No, no es una historia que nos presente algo nuevo, tiene muchos clich
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

When I first heard about this book, I was immediately intrigued. Everything about the synopsis screamed it was a book for me, and I had quite the feeling that it would be very much like the movie, She's the Man, which is perfect. In Just One of the Boys, Alice has always wanted to be a hockey player. But, because she's a girl, she can't play with the boys. (sidenote: this really resonated with me, as I was t
Kat
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for allowing me to read and review this cute debut novel by Leah and Kate Rooper. This completely brought me back to seeing Mulan when I was younger and watching her take on all those boys while in disguise!

Alice Bell lives and breathes hockey, and tries out for an elite team with her hair stuffed up in her helmet. When she makes the team, and the coach kicks her off in favor of her twin brother the moment he discovers she's really a girl,
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, ya, arcs, romance
That was terribly cute and so adorable. Totally left me with a stupid smile on my face.

It was a little bit of this

And a little bit of this

And a bunch of this

Pro: A lot of She's the Man hijinks, and I loved it.

Pro: This was fun and fluffy and exactly what I wanted when I was reading it.

Pro: The friendship between Al and Hayden was one I really adored. It went from hate to a full blown bromance.

Pro: Christmas in Canada! The holidays with the Tremblay family was a special treat.

Con: Alice's bo
Alaina
super cute.

Just One of the Boys was one of those YA books that seems like a movie or previous book that you've read/watched. In it, you will meet Alice Bell. Her whole world revolves around hockey and the day that she doesn't make a team because she's a girl.. was just the worst day ever. Her twin brother, Xander, makes it but ends up getting hurt. So, if you've ever seen the movie, She's the Man, this this book is exactly like that. However, the brother doesn't get hurt in that movie..

Anyhoo, s
Kasper
I like this "girl dresses as his brother for getting into a group" stories (and vice versa). Check out anime and k-dramas for it!

This book feels like a teen movie: cliche, predictable and with too many coincidences, but it is really fun is you overlook all that!

It was the type of book that I needed to read at the moment, light and heartwarming. The characters are kind of cute and not too complex, and it's great that the author decided to show that Alice, the MC, can play hockey with the guys an
Stephanie
This was a little uneven for me. Both the lead characters were really unlikable for long stretches at a time. But then there would be chapters here and there where I really enjoyed them. The story is pretty much the hockey version of the She's the Man movie. I don't really have too much to say about this one. I read the second book before this book. I might give the third one a shot whenever it comes out. ...more
lacy white
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, 2017, ebooks, arc-copy, r
A special thank you goes out to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this copy early! All thoughts and opinions are my own!

When I started this book, I thought it was going to be some cheesy little book about ice skating and hockey. How Alice and Hayden were going to fall in love and it'll be all rainbows and sunshines. But I was wrong and I have got to stop predicting books like that.

This was so much more than a love story. Alice was such a desperate character. She tried so hard to show us s
Lauren
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shmokes, I want to hug this book.

It’s a modern retelling of Twelfth Night - with hockey. Alice Bell knows she’s good enough to play for the Chicago Falcons and there’s no rules against a girl playing - she’s checked. But when she takes off her helmet, her brother is given her place on the team. When she gets the chance to play in his place, she grabs it with both hands. She never expected to fall for the star player, troubled Hayden Trembley.

I loved the characters - they’re all flawed, all
Danielle's
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ stars
Loved this book!

A hockey romance book that was actually about Ice hockey. Shocker! It just doesn't happen that often.

Alice loves, breathes and lives for hockey. Her family have just moved to a new town. Alice and her brother try out for the local team. Alice knows she can't play in the NHL. This is her last chance to live her dream. After some confusion, her brother makes the team even though she is the better player. Unfortunately for her brother, an injury stops him making his first pr
nora 🪐
3.1/5 ☆

So I impulsively read this lol. If you liked the movie She's the Man, then this book is definitely for you. In fact, I found it sometimes a bit too similar so I thought this book was kind of a rip-off? In this one, hockey is the main focus. While reading, I concluded that the author also had no idea how hockey worked. No talk about strategy or names, no names for each player and position. Idk I know nothing about hockey and I believe the author had no idea too.

Anyways, this was a kind of
Nicole
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

This book was everything I wanted it to be!!!!

Summary: Alice Bell has one goal: to play for the elite junior hockey team the Chicago Falcons.But when she’s passed over at tryouts for being a girl, she’ll do anything to make her dream a reality...even disguising herself as her twin brother. With her amazing skills on the ice, Alice is sure she’ll fit in easily. That is, until she starts falling for one of her teammates...

Hayden Tremblay,
Alexis (The Book Democracy)
3/5

* I received this as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange from my honest review*

This book was alright. I honestly don't have much to say. The entire time reading the book felt familiar to be and that's because it was. It has a lot of the same elements from the movie she's the man. It was a quick easy read but unfortunately I just didn't really enjoy it. Nothing about it felt all that original which was awful because I really wanted to love this book.
Cindy Hale
This book was so fun! I got through it quickly. I'm a sucker for twin stories. I'm not a big hockey fan, but this book sucked me in and I felt as though I was Alice, getting my head into the game right with her.

It was fun to see how long it took for him to figure out she was actually a girl. I felt like that was a good move on the authors' part. Having her show up periodically as a smoking hot figure skater was a nice touch. I loved watching her teammates fawn over her. Hilarious!

I enjoyed watc
✧ k a t i e ✧
I tried to read this book, but the writing style was really difficult for me to get into. Every time I would read it, the style would throw me off an just made me uninterested in the book.

The plot sounded very interesting, but this was one that I just could not get into.
Tiana
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is 100% my guilty pleasure. I enjoyed every single thing about it, but I especially enjoyed the feminist inklings inside of it. Alice is one tough cookie and as someone who used to figure skate.. her abilities to both be graceful in figure skating and tough and agile on the hockey floor filled me with a huge load of feminist pride.

When I saw this book for the first time I knew I had to read it, because long ago I loved the movie Just One of The Guys and this book is very similar to tha
Tissy
Not for me.

I knew that this would be similar to the movie 'She's the man' however I hoped that it would not be an exact copy of it. Unfortunately it is and definitely not as good. The characters are just not that funny and I don't like the dual POV it feels like it takes away from the story rather than adds something new. Also it's way too cutesy and melodramatic and the writing is probably more suited to those aged 12-16.

Adele
A huge Thank-you to Entangled Teen Publishing, LLC., for allowing me to read this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Prior to actually reading this novel, I was super-duper-freaking excited for Just One of the Boys. Seriously! I’m so glad that I requested an ARC of this book, because I ended up loving it.

There are two points of view in Just One of the Boys.

The first view we read from is Alice. Alice is a high school senior, but we don’t see her school life. The book is incre
Natalie
Ever wanted to read a book with serious She's the Man vibes, but with ice hockey rather than skating? Well boy do I have the novel for you! ;D

In this novel, Alice (or Al) takes the place of her twin brother Alexander (or Xander) when she is passed over for entry into the Chicago Falcons for being (*gasp*) a girl, both to prove that yes she is good enough, and to help out her brother while (view spoiler)
Edit~A
(Source: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to NetGalley, Entangled Publishing, LLC, Crush and Leah and Kate Rooper.)

“It silly how there’s billions of people on Earth, and one person can make or break the world for you,” I finally say. “Maybe it’s stupid, but I sort of believe there’s only one real love out there for everyone.”

Just One of the Boys was fun YA read, which means the heroine sometimes got to my nerves.
First of all it really reminded me of She's the Man, only
Treena
This reads like a cute teen movie. The plot is fairly predictable but I didn't mind. It's a clean, sweet YA story. ...more
mich
She's The Man is like, my FAVORITE movie okay?! I love it. This book is just like that except w/hockey instead of soccer. Totally stupid, but fun ;) ...more
Samantha
Note: I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

A cute, fluffy, sports-laden first effort from Leah Rooper that I enjoyed quite a bit! It reminded me SO MUCH of the Disney Channel original movie Motocrossed. Does anyone remember that!? Almost the exact same premise but with motocross instead of hockey! I like cute and fluffy though, so it was right up my alley! I can't wait to see more from this author!
Kate Rooper
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had an amazing time writing this book! I hope everyone enjoys it :)
Leah Rooper
This book was hilariously fun to write! I hope you all enjoy reading it. :)
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review

"you've got nothing too worry about, baby brother," i say, nestling my head in his ear. "Because I'm not Alice. I'm Al."

This book is essentially the movie plot of She's The Man only with Ice skates and hockey sticks instead of Soccer balls.

Rating- 2.5/ 5 Stars.

Alright so let's jump to the plot quickly and then we'll delve into the everything else!

Alice has one passion- Ice Hockey.
She has one thought in her head- Ice Ho
Moa (The Reading Faery)
I loved this book! The romance was sweet, the plot was enjoyable – and there are hot hockey players! What else could you ask for? Just One of the Boys is a super sweet, romantic and light read, and it fit me perfectly! I finished it in one sitting, and then I regretted it, because I didn’t want it to be over.

I love Alice!

Alice is a super-fun character to read about. She loves hockey, and she’s good at it, too. Good enough to play with the boys. I loved reading about Alice, because she wasn’t lik
Jasmine Fuentes
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received an Advanced Readers Copy from the publishing house through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Shes the man mixed with Mulans bad ass self, meets ice hockey. This is the best way I know in describing this book.

We have two main characters we follow in this book, Al, short for Alice- and Hayden. Both characters live and breath hockey, and when you read when they hit the ice? It truly feels like they are home!

This is a book you could sit down on a nice winter day with a cup of s
Jessie Seymour
***I Received an ARC through Netgalley in Exchange for an Honest Review***

I gave this book 4 stars. Many aspects of the story were so well done, I for the most part loved this book, there were a few things I wish we would have gotten into more, but considering this isn't exactly a long book, I can see why we didn't get into those. For what it was it was really good.

This book was a level of whimsical fun that put me in such a good mood that I didn't even mind that Canadian jokes. Speaking of Can
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
I really enjoyed this book. Yes, there were moments when I was thinking "How does Alice get away with no one finding out she is a girl?" but I pushed that aside and just enjoyed the story. Alice or "Al" just wants to play hockey and be part of the Falcon team. Little did she realize all the other things that could happen when she is living a double life and hanging with the boys. The authors have us follow sweet, innocent Alice while she and her twin brother come up with a fantastic plan for Xan ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Young Adult Conte...: #50 Just One of the Boys by Leah & Kate Rooper 1 7 Dec 18, 2017 10:03AM

• All Laced Up (All Laced Up, #1)
  • Center Ice (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #1)
  • The Game Can't Love You Back
  • Announcing Trouble
  • Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High, #1)
  • Playing Defense (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #2)
  • Out of Left Field
  • The Rules of Persuasion (The Rules of Persuasion, #1)
  • The Bad Boy Bargain (Suttonville Sentinels, #1)
  • Operation Prom Date (Tactics in Flirting, #1)
  • Boomerang Boyfriend (Boyfriend Chronicles, #3)
  • Tied Up In You (All Laced Up, #2)
  • Blackmail Boyfriend (Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • The First Kiss Hypothesis (The First Kiss Hypothesis #1)
  • Offsetting Penalties
  • In the Penalty Box
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • Playing to Win (The Trouble with Tomboys #2)
Leah and Kate Rooper are sisters who live on beautiful Vancouver Island, BC. Ever since they were little, they have loved playing make-believe. Now even as “grown-ups”, they play make-believe every day in the stories they write. When they’re not glued to their laptops, Leah and Kate are both studying Elementary School Education at university.

The Chicago Falcons (3 books)
  • Just One of the Royals (The Chicago Falcons, #2)
  • Just Pretending (The Chicago Falcons, #3)